Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Martman posted:

fellow imps, I have completed one of the most stressful gaming accomplishments of my life: clearing floors 1-200 of Palace of the Dead solo in Final Fantasy XIV.

POTD is a side-content area inspired by roguelites; you clear sets of 10 floors at a time (9 normal floors and a boss floor at the end), with the floors being generally randomized in terms of layout, enemy placement, and treasure chests. the chests can give you special items that are only functional within POTD, like make you tankier or do more damage for 8 minutes, or reveal the map of a floor including invisible traps, or turn you into a manticore that can oneshot any non-boss mob. There are traps freaking everywhere, and later on even individual monsters hit super hard. Not only that, but especially as you go into the deep floors the floors themselves will sometimes give you really hosed up debuffs and your items that can deal with them are extremely limited. you get an hour per set of 10 floors and in the last fifty floors or so that hour starts to feel real tight.

and there's permadeath of course. if you fail the run is over and you have to start back at floor 1. This content was primarily designed for groups of four though. Generally you'd have at least one other party member who can rez people, and as long as your entire party doesn't wipe you can recover. solo you don't have that luxury though, except for very limited items that can rez you, leaving you weakened and wasting any buffs you had at the time (often even if you use one of these you end up screwed over by wasting your other items and wasting time)

You get a fancy title for clearing 1-200 solo, so your character can be called The Necromancer.

you can sit on a bench at floor 200 after beating it

e: idk why my screenshot is so boblike, my monitor isn't ultrawide or anything lol

congrats :cheers:

gotta try the deep dungeons myself one of these days. i've only done a bit of POTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Congrats.

Haven't ever tried soloing Palace but I managed to get to the lower 60s of Heaven on High before dying.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Psycho poo poo but also extremely bad rear end

I need to hop back in to Eorzea and crush some content

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Martman posted:

fellow imps, I have completed one of the most stressful gaming accomplishments of my life: clearing floors 1-200 of Palace of the Dead solo in Final Fantasy XIV.

POTD is a side-content area inspired by roguelites; you clear sets of 10 floors at a time (9 normal floors and a boss floor at the end), with the floors being generally randomized in terms of layout, enemy placement, and treasure chests. the chests can give you special items that are only functional within POTD, like make you tankier or do more damage for 8 minutes, or reveal the map of a floor including invisible traps, or turn you into a manticore that can oneshot any non-boss mob. There are traps freaking everywhere, and later on even individual monsters hit super hard. Not only that, but especially as you go into the deep floors the floors themselves will sometimes give you really hosed up debuffs and your items that can deal with them are extremely limited. you get an hour per set of 10 floors and in the last fifty floors or so that hour starts to feel real tight.

and there's permadeath of course. if you fail the run is over and you have to start back at floor 1. This content was primarily designed for groups of four though. Generally you'd have at least one other party member who can rez people, and as long as your entire party doesn't wipe you can recover. solo you don't have that luxury though, except for very limited items that can rez you, leaving you weakened and wasting any buffs you had at the time (often even if you use one of these you end up screwed over by wasting your other items and wasting time)

You get a fancy title for clearing 1-200 solo, so your character can be called The Necromancer.

e: idk why my screenshot is so boblike, my monitor isn't ultrawide or anything lol

Martman. You are one sick son of a bitch. Congratulations s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

I'm glad it had amusement park but angry it didn't have become as gods

I'm glad it has weight of the world but angry it doesn't have English weight of the world

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like that FFXIV just has a giant Tactics Ogre reference in it as a challenge dungeon and it may or may not be canon that it’s literally the same Nybeth

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Martman posted:

holy poo poo dude well done

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Martman posted:

Dang, congrats man

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martman posted:

congratulations but it reinforces my opinion that FFXIV players have some of the densest brain worms out there

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Martman posted:

lol badass *tries to play the game when you arent paying attention and accidentally deletes all your save files*

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Martman posted:

cool and also scary

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

congratulations but it reinforces my opinion that FFXIV players have some of the densest brain worms out there
:haibrow:

ty imps. now I'm gonna start my journey to solo the other deep dungeons heh. They only go to 100 floors though, so even if they get really difficult the time investment is drastically easier.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

symbolic posted:

I was in a dungeon once with a player who explained that he might be a little slow because he was coming down off his meds. He then explained the meds were because he was recovering from brain surgery.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was in a dungeon once with a player who explained that he might be a little slow because he was coming down off his meds. He then explained the meds were because he was recovering from brain surgery.

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I once ran some FFXIV content for like an hour and a half with some randoms, and two of the players in our group were apparently a girl and her grandma. The grandma spent the whole time complaining about how her feet hurt really bad and she needed to get in the "hot tube" so we should finish up soon

not a brainworms thing but it still makes me lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed ESO for a while because the players are all Elder Scrolls fans, meaning they don't talk to each other. The two times I interacted with another player was one messaging me to tell me my hat was stupid and I replied that it was and he said respect, and the time someone messaged me angrily to tell me that Aftertug Sobbins sounds like it's meant to be a lore accurate Dunmer name but isn't actually

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
aftertug sobbings is lore accurate

----------------

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aftertug sobbings is lore accurate

I told him that my mod Muffinwind had a Sobbins Ancestral Tomb in it and that according to c0da all mods are lore accurate. He said he was going to go and check but I never heard back from him, which is for the best because while I did make Muffinwind I completely lied about the tomb

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I told him that my mod Muffinwind had a Sobbins Ancestral Tomb in it and that according to c0da all mods are lore accurate. He said he was going to go and check but I never heard back from him, which is for the best because while I did make Muffinwind I completely lied about the tomb

lol

----------------

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Truly a noble lie

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

he was so disappointed you would lie like that and left the elder scrolls community entirely

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

symbolic posted:

even FFXIV players think potd is braindead content and won't touch it. Last time the Imp static broke up was when I asked for people to finally show me how to unlock the Heaven on High deep dungeon since I've never seen it in 6 years of gaming on xiv or w/e. Kongming Pmack and uhhh I forget the third. Either bug deal or neurotic roleplay or somebody marathoned 50 floors with me to unlock HoH and then everyone except Pmack cancelled their sub within a week.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PMack can never cancel his sub bc the Imp Zone guild house is sitting on prime loving real estate and you get evicted if the title owner's sub lapses.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

PMack can never cancel his sub bc the Imp Zone guild house is sitting on prime loving real estate and you get evicted if the title owner's sub lapses.

Yeah and I spent a whole weekend doing insane float glitch stuff to get all the furniture in place

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In Training posted:

even FFXIV players think potd is braindead content and won't touch it. Last time the Imp static broke up was when I asked for people to finally show me how to unlock the Heaven on High deep dungeon since I've never seen it in 6 years of gaming on xiv or w/e. Kongming Pmack and uhhh I forget the third. Either bug deal or neurotic roleplay or somebody marathoned 50 floors with me to unlock HoH and then everyone except Pmack cancelled their sub within a week.
hmm yeah the randomized permadeath dungeons are definitely more braindead than running the normal dungeons that are the same every time and you can't fail. sounds like noob excuses to me

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the deep dungeons are particularly hated by the "never use a consumable" crowd because they'll go through the whole thing never popping the items that let you blow poo poo up real fast and make it more fun and then say it's boring and slow

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
how long did it take?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Probably about 10 hours over like 5 sessions, you can stop freely between sets of floors. doing it solo does honestly make the early parts pretty painful because it takes so long to get to the actual difficult stuff.

I think it took me like 100 total hours over the course of a few years trying every now and then, failing, and then crying and drinking a bunch

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Martman posted:

I think it took me like 100 total hours over the course of a few years trying every now and then, failing, and then crying and drinking a bunch

That must be some bench!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

have you jumped up the big rear end building in that one city. that's the real test of skill.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

yup. and they added a thing where you have to jump off that roof and land on top of a tiny lamppost to get another sightseeing log thing

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

symbolic posted:

it's true because I read that post and in training's and thought huh, maybe I should come back for real. lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Martman posted:

yup. and they added a thing where you have to jump off that roof and land on top of a tiny lamppost to get another sightseeing log thing

if there was a time when you could jump up there and there wasn't one of those, you'd have to have even crazier brainworms to know about and do it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I hopped back in thanks to this thread just in time to get the badass tonberry glam. Imp Static will return any day now.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I’ve just reached the moon in FFIV and I am experiencing the game over nonsense of yesteryear

this game is loving rad lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

I’ve just reached the moon in FFIV and I am experiencing the game over nonsense of yesteryear

this game is loving rad lol

Hell yeah man, everything about it and the lunar whale especially the travel to/from cutscene kick rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
final fantasy 4 plot twists ftw

----------------

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The plot of FFIV is like an 8 year old played FFVI and decided to write their own epic story with crayons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

shoeberto posted:

The plot of FFIV is like an 8 year old played FFVI and decided to write their own epic story with crayons.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.