Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If I start one of these gregtech packs as a single player and then eventually want to move it to my server is it a simple copy paste of the world into the server folder? Running a atm8 server right now and want to start slow with gregtech (likely going to try nomifactory). I run my Minecraft servers off my old windows computer by double clicking the run batch file from file explorer if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

God drat it, I did not label any of this poo poo and my supply chain backed up and I couldn't find poo poo. That's 3 rows of 24 GT machines each on the left, another 30-40 on the right and another 20 or so offscreen behind me. Then I had sodium persulfate run out and I had to dig my way back through the recipes to figure out what hosed up and finally found the chemical reactor I still had setup to manually feed in sulfur, lol.

gdi how do I make my modded minecraft look so nice :argh:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xun posted:

gdi how do I make my modded minecraft look so nice :argh:

That's SEUS shaders with paper cut out resource pack. I prefer complementary reimagined shaders but they have issues with the sky with 1.12 and optifine. SEUS was the only shader pack that didn't entirely gently caress up the sky in some way, which is important to me for some reason even though I spend 99% of my time inside or underground.

Mod pack is Nomifactory, not GTNH. Not sure what shaders work well with that ancient version of Minecraft.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 6, 2023

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

If I start one of these gregtech packs as a single player and then eventually want to move it to my server is it a simple copy paste of the world into the server folder? Running a atm8 server right now and want to start slow with gregtech (likely going to try nomifactory). I run my Minecraft servers off my old windows computer by double clicking the run batch file from file explorer if that helps.

Depending on the phase of the moon this may break quests but otherwise yeah that works.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

That's SEUS shaders with paper cut out resource pack. I prefer complementary reimagined shaders but they have issues with the sky with 1.12 and optifine. SEUS was the only shader pack that didn't entirely gently caress up the sky in some way, which is important to me for some reason even though I spend 99% of my time inside or underground.

Mod pack is Nomifactory, not GTNH. Not sure what shaders work well with that ancient version of Minecraft.

Complementary Shaders, funny enough :v:. There's a 1.7.10 version available and it looks very pretty

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bawk posted:

Complementary Shaders, funny enough :v:. There's a 1.7.10 version available and it looks very pretty

Does it have the white sky problem or is your sky fine? That's why I stopped using it with 1.12 & Nomi, just a weird foggy white nothing in the sky, it was depressing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Does it have the white sky problem or is your sky fine? That's why I stopped using it with 1.12 & Nomi, just a weird foggy white nothing in the sky, it was depressing.

Every now and then the Shader freaks out and the sky switches between a natural looking light blue and a desaturated darker blue for a second, but otherwise it's worked quite well. GTNH needs to have Fastcraft updated to 1.25 to be compatible with Optifine to load shaders if any GTNH players want to give it a shot, but they have shader versions going back pretty far.

Ive been intending on sharing some photos once I beautify my base a bit more, but last night i was watching a stream while hunting for diamonds and lost track of time until it was late into the morning.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This is what Nomifactory looks like with Complementary Reimagined, looks great except the sky and I haven't been able to fix it:

Complementary is either the same or crazy lines flickering in the sky when I move, I forget which. Turning off VBO fixes it but then one of the mods complains and the game runs like poo poo so... SEUS Renewed 1.0.1 also has the lines in the sky but they're behind the skybox and barely noticeable so it's not terrible.

e: Yay I got Complementary Reimagined working, it was either the update to the preview version of Optifine or more likely Advanced Rocketry's sky setting I changed based on the the troubleshooting steps on the shader's site:

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 6, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

This is what Nomifactory looks like with Complementary Reimagined, looks great except the sky and I haven't been able to fix it:

Complementary is either the same or crazy lines flickering in the sky when I move, I forget which. Turning off VBO fixes it but then one of the mods complains and the game runs like poo poo so... SEUS Renewed 1.0.1 also has the lines in the sky but they're behind the skybox and barely noticeable so it's not terrible.

e: Yay I got Complementary Reimagined working, it was either the update to the preview version of Optifine or more likely Advanced Rocketry's sky setting I changed based on the the troubleshooting steps on the shader's site:

Nice! It looks good.

I went mining for coal for the coke furnace today and heard a thunderstorm brewing outside, didn't think anything of it. Came outside to this:

:stonklol:

thankfully that wasn't the only patch of oil around, and I'll get to see how long it stays on fire for!

e: aw poo poo, this thing has minesweeper!

bawk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 7, 2023

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You should definitely build some sort of shrine around it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pretty, and polluting!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

Nice! It looks good.

I went mining for coal for the coke furnace today and heard a thunderstorm brewing outside, didn't think anything of it. Came outside to this:

thankfully that wasn't the only patch of oil around, and I'll get to see how long it stays on fire for!

An omen of things to come :laffo: .

Is upgrading a server version of modded minecraft pretty straight forward? Just copy paste everything except your world?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Holyshoot posted:

Is upgrading a server version of modded minecraft pretty straight forward? Just copy paste everything except your world?
I basically treat server updates like a completely new install to a new directory and then just copy over the world and any customized config file or admin differences (whitelist, etc.) from the old install directory. Then, even if things get completely screwed up with the new version for some reason, I still have the old version I could fall back to.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, updating's a modpack is a gamble. Packs tend to remove stuff and change configs. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes your base explodes because they tweaked chunkloaders or pipe throughput. I agree with Halibut, I just tend to make a new server folder and copy my world and configs on the off chance I do it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bawk posted:

Nice! It looks good.

IIRC oil basically never goes out. Rain might put it out?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The quest book says to cover it with dirt or something else to protect it from being struck by lightning or set on fire by monsters exploding.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

McFrugal posted:

IIRC oil basically never goes out. Rain might put it out?

Nope! It's been a couple of IRL days now and it's still burning. Makes a great landmark when I'm going to my redstone mine, because it's clearly visible from my home base and also clearly visible from the mouth of the mine.

My next decorative project is going to be building a shrine/lighthouse of sorts for the one that's eternally burning :allears:

Holyshoot posted:

The quest book says to cover it with dirt or something else to protect it from being struck by lightning or set on fire by monsters exploding.

This is good advice from both the questbook and the game, so I went ahead and put a cobblestone roof over top of a not-on-fire oil well to keep it safe for when I eventually get to using crude oil for stuff.

Things have escalated pretty handily now that I'm further into Steam Age, I've got 3 Coke Ovens feeding into a set of 1x3 Primitive Blast Furnaces to make steel, but once I have a good amount of it I'm going to start doing all my metals in there instead, with one dedicated to each metal I want to work with. I thought I was going to have to keep trudging back and up and down through mines to get all the resources I'll need, but just by utilizing a Macerator, Forge Hammer, and the Bricked Blast Furnace, it's a 1 -> 6 output. Who needs an ore-doubling smeltery?

I do have a couple questions for all y'all though. If I try to auto-input into these Bricked Blast Furnaces, even if it's just a hopper going into the controller block, the coal coke doesn't auto-input into the right spot, which stops the furnace from working. Is this something I'm doing wrong, or an intentional limitation of the oven to encourage you into moving onto the next tier to set up automation? I've found it to be pretty much the same when trying to pull stuff with hoppers. I can do that with the coke ovens just fine, they're pretty much running entirely on their own with the exception of having to tap a seared faucet every now and then, but the blast furnaces are pretty fiddly with that, unless I'm missing something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bawk posted:

I do have a couple questions for all y'all though. If I try to auto-input into these Bricked Blast Furnaces, even if it's just a hopper going into the controller block, the coal coke doesn't auto-input into the right spot, which stops the furnace from working. Is this something I'm doing wrong, or an intentional limitation of the oven to encourage you into moving onto the next tier to set up automation? I've found it to be pretty much the same when trying to pull stuff with hoppers. I can do that with the coke ovens just fine, they're pretty much running entirely on their own with the exception of having to tap a seared faucet every now and then, but the blast furnaces are pretty fiddly with that, unless I'm missing something.

The primitive/bricked blast furnaces are intentionally hostile to automation. You're not "supposed" to automate them at all. The best thing you can do with those is compress your coal coke into blocks, which gives you the power of 10 pieces of fuel for only 9 consumed, and more importantly, compresses the outputted ash into full ash items. This reduces the amount of time you have to spend messing with the BBFs.

Also, don't be tempted by non-coal-coke fuels for the BBF. Using anything but coal coke incurs a +50% time penalty on the craft.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The primitive/bricked blast furnaces are intentionally hostile to automation. You're not "supposed" to automate them at all. The best thing you can do with those is compress your coal coke into blocks, which gives you the power of 10 pieces of fuel for only 9 consumed, and more importantly, compresses the outputted ash into full ash items. This reduces the amount of time you have to spend messing with the BBFs.

Also, don't be tempted by non-coal-coke fuels for the BBF. Using anything but coal coke incurs a +50% time penalty on the craft.

I hadn't even considered that part of it. I'm going to change the direction that my hoppers are going so that they're closer toward theSteam Compressor then I can just dart in and switch out all the coal coke with blocks of coal coke which should help amass resource. Thank you!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is there any real use for stone dust other than centrifuging it? I see it can make clay compound dust but I can't really see what the use of that dust would actually be, even in ingot or plate form.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Is there any real use for stone dust other than centrifuging it? I see it can make clay compound dust but I can't really see what the use of that dust would actually be, even in ingot or plate form.

You use it to make Drilling Fluid for multiblock miners, starting in EV+. However, you'll mine way more than you ever use, so it's fine to put it in a super chest set to void excess, or a drawer with a void upgrade on it.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You can also compress it into stone plates, and then compress those into stone blocks.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

As far as I know there’s not a ton to do with stone dust once you have enough for drilling fluid and stone plates. The centrifuge recipe is quite a lot of power, so it’s probably not super worth doing until you’re pretty far along. Or maybe ever, I don’t know

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Hooplah posted:

As far as I know there’s not a ton to do with stone dust once you have enough for drilling fluid and stone plates. The centrifuge recipe is quite a lot of power, so it’s probably not super worth doing until you’re pretty far along. Or maybe ever, I don’t know

The stone dust recipe is LV but takes an age to process 36 piles. It's still easy to passive with solar (boilers or infused panel) and there are some useful products. The followup metal mixture is an EV recipe and probably only worthwhile for people doing no-rocket runs as it provides bauxite dust.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What's a fun quest based modpack? Last time I got into Minecraft Agrarian Skies 2 and such were the bee's knees, what's the latest and greatest?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's a fun quest based modpack? Last time I got into Minecraft Agrarian Skies 2 and such were the bee's knees, what's the latest and greatest?

One of the ones we're currently talking about. Gregtech: New Horizons or Nomifactory / Nomifactory GTCEu.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

woo minecraft thread! although im a bit disappointed theres not like a goon vanilla anarchy server going :(

also the first poast needs amending to correct that the new super duper improved launcher is prism launcher lol

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So it probably wasn't an amazing use of my bronze and steam but while processing a lot of ores to prepare for my EBF and making aluminum, I decided to just go ahead and build the Steam Macerator multiblock, and honestly I think it was worth it for now! Being able to quickly macerate lots of stuff for roughly the same amount of steam as would normally be used converting to EU for the LV one isn't too bad. It's a lot of bronze, but it's not like I'm using much of it in the LV age. Plus, I was able to squeeze it in underneath my huge steam tank so I didn't even need to run a long steam pipe to another area of my base.

Would recommend if you're processing lots of ores in Steam/LV! It's not like the LV Macerator gives byproducts anyway.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

So it probably wasn't an amazing use of my bronze and steam but while processing a lot of ores to prepare for my EBF and making aluminum, I decided to just go ahead and build the Steam Macerator multiblock, and honestly I think it was worth it for now! Being able to quickly macerate lots of stuff for roughly the same amount of steam as would normally be used converting to EU for the LV one isn't too bad. It's a lot of bronze, but it's not like I'm using much of it in the LV age. Plus, I was able to squeeze it in underneath my huge steam tank so I didn't even need to run a long steam pipe to another area of my base.

Would recommend if you're processing lots of ores in Steam/LV! It's not like the LV Macerator gives byproducts anyway.

I will take a crack at this some time this week, how fast is it compared to the regular steam macerator, and does it still output 2 dusts for each ore? That's the big limiter on getting resources after a mining expedition right now, it takes forever to feed through a stack of ore, yet the Forge hammer goes by super fast (and only gives one)

I did just finally make it to the Nether and hoo boy, never going to need redstone again. I threw up a blood sapling above my Nether portal and now any time I want redstone I just whack it with fortune 3 axe :agesilaus:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

bawk posted:

I will take a crack at this some time this week, how fast is it compared to the regular steam macerator, and does it still output 2 dusts for each ore? That's the big limiter on getting resources after a mining expedition right now, it takes forever to feed through a stack of ore, yet the Forge hammer goes by super fast (and only gives one)

I did just finally make it to the Nether and hoo boy, never going to need redstone again. I threw up a blood sapling above my Nether portal and now any time I want redstone I just whack it with fortune 3 axe :agesilaus:

A single operation processes 8 ores and does double it all in 30 seconds. Pretty sure the steam macerator is 1 operation/40 seconds. Even the LV one is 1 op/20s. I'm not sure what the steam consumption ratios are for running it but I was noticing my steam reserves climbing while processing 12 stacks of items, and the only things generating steam at that moment was a bunch of solar boilers. (Definitely don't sleep on those solar boilers btw, especially not the high pressure ones. Best use of silver plates in Steam Age by far.)

If you haven't been doing so already, be sure to check out the Gregtech Ore Processing diagrams in NEI to see what ores will create what byproducts. This is more important in LV when you can build the centrifuge, ore washing plant and more. In Steam your basic processing chain will probably be Macerate for Crushed ores -> Forge Hammer for Impure dusts -> Furnaces for ingots. But once you hit LV you'll want to centrifuge your impure dusts for chance byproducts.

Here's a tip that's not immediately clear with ore processing chains: You don't need an Ore Washer to access the right side of the ore processing trees. Any crushed ore can be turned into a Purified ore by throwing it into a cauldron. You just won't get byproducts from this and can't automate it. However, it is much, *much* faster and less power and water intensive than using the Basic Ore Washer as long as you don't care about the Ore Washer byproducts. Macerating that purified ore gets you purified piles (you can also use the Forge Hammer at this step to achieve the same results without byproducts), and then centrifuging the pure piles gets you dusts again with different byproduct chances many times.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

Here's a tip that's not immediately clear with ore processing chains: You don't need an Ore Washer to access the right side of the ore processing trees. Any crushed ore can be turned into a Purified ore by throwing it into a cauldron. You just won't get byproducts from this and can't automate it. However, it is much, *much* faster and less power and water intensive than using the Basic Ore Washer as long as you don't care about the Ore Washer byproducts. Macerating that purified ore gets you purified piles (you can also use the Forge Hammer at this step to achieve the same results without byproducts), and then centrifuging the pure piles gets you dusts again with different byproduct chances many times.

This has been a huge pain in the rear end for me and the biggest thing stymieing my current setup, because it takes so much effort to process the impure dusts by hand. I was trying to see if I could be cheeky and find an easy way to automate this a bit better, because doing stacks by hand is annoying when you toss in 3 dusts, refill, toss in 3 dusts, refill, and in the process of looking up ways in GNTH to pipe in water to a cauldron. Tried regular water pipes, tried the faucet trick into a pipe, tried a sticky-piston setup I found online, nada. Then I find this post in the google search results:

FPzero posted:

You'll get tons of it from mining small ores, just wash the impure dust by throwing it into a cauldron filled with water. You'll need to use a vanilla minecraft bucket to fill the cauldron, and you can throw a whole stack of dust in at one time to reduce how much water you're using. Steal a cauldron from some of the little witchery huts if you can't make one yet.

So, uh, thanks FP!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hahaha you're welcome! That's so funny that I made a post about this topic in here two years ago and that's what Google turned up for you. I believe the questbook does mention it at some point, but the questbook says so many things that sometimes I just don't remember it either.

edit: I've also found this to be really helpful in making sure I don't throw the dusts over the opposite rim of the cauldron:

The trapdoor acts as a backboard. Originally I had put the cauldron next to my water tank, but I moved the tank up to the roof of my workshop to be closer to my redone steam setup.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 10, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

Hahaha you're welcome! That's so funny that I made a post about this topic in here two years ago and that's what Google turned up for you. I believe the questbook does mention it at some point, but the questbook says so many things that sometimes I just don't remember it either.

edit: I've also found this to be really helpful in making sure I don't throw the dusts over the opposite rim of the cauldron:

The trapdoor acts as a backboard. Originally I had put the cauldron next to my water tank, but I moved the tank up to the roof of my workshop to be closer to my redone steam setup.

I used to do this same thing in Modern Skyblock 3 but with blaze meshes to make lava, I put a backboard behind it so it would bounce in lol.

I'm going to build a few solar boilers today and put them on another water tank above my coke ovens so I can forgehammer/dump in coal ore to auto-hop in, along with redstone clocks to auto pour creosote, and try building the multiblock creosote boiler and bronze macerator as my main ore processing place this week. I'm pretty close to LV but I like the idea of having a large boiler go keep the initial machine area up to the task. I have a 2.4mil steam buffer running off of 4 boilers right now so i have plenty in the mean time for runber production, but this way I can focus all coal production into just BBFs until I get an EBF off the ground. There's also a windmill macerator I'm interested in trying for stuff like Sulfur and Slime -> rubber since that doesn't need to be purified, but it looks fiddly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've seen a lot of people post about Create: Above and Beyond on places outside the forums. It's sorta similar to GTNH in that it's going to be one large factory, and it has coins to exchange for items in a pinch, but it's all done with Create mechanisms with a lot of recipe tweaks. Create has one of the single best tutorials in the modding scene with the "Ponder" function that visualizes how any given mechanism works/how to build it, so if you haven't been following modpacks lately then that's a good introduction to it. It's also fully quest based, and progression is to start by building an automated andesite quarry at bedrock (andesite being used in most Create machines) and it ends by taking a rocket to the moon. I would consider it GTNH-adjacent, you still need to automate everything but there's no periodic table of elements to keep track of.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't forget to put a roof with glass over your solar boilers because they will explode if rained on. I think, at least. I've never taken the chance!

Edit: Get yourself into LV before making the steam macerator, the Bending Machine gives you 1:1 ingot to plate ratios, which will save you lots of bronze. You already need something like 150+ bronze plates for it, don't turn that into 225+ because of forge hammer plate ratios.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Don't forget to put a roof with glass over your solar boilers because they will explode if rained on. I think, at least. I've never taken the chance!

They won't. Only electric machines (with electricity inside them) explode. Still, no reason NOT to cover them with glass.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the steam oven and steam macerator rule, probably your best option for those tasks until you get the multiblock furnace with coils and the HV macerator for byproducts

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Will Create's harvester properly harvest Mystical Agriculture crops in the same way the player does by interacting with them? i.e. leaving the seeds still planted? I should make sure I can do this thing before I go building a massive gantry to auto-harvest crops once a day.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

i enjoyed ftb inferno, has a bit of a steep difficulty at the start though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

death cob for cutie posted:

Will Create's harvester properly harvest Mystical Agriculture crops in the same way the player does by interacting with them? i.e. leaving the seeds still planted? I should make sure I can do this thing before I go building a massive gantry to auto-harvest crops once a day.

If you're talking about the rotating arm that harvests, yes. I have seen it work with inferium at least. It will grab the essences and keep the plants AFAIK.