Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

lol it does load

it's flash. in 2023

cheerpx vm :shepface:

i wonder what scripting language flash uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah, the generally accepted best practice for UI is QT QML

“gently caress it lets use android” is also a surprise option. especially if you have a GPU supporting android’s vulkan stuff

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i wish buildroot had support for modern nvidia drivers

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i wish buildroot had support for modern nvidia drivers

It does? The NVIDIA driver package is updated on a fairly regular basis.

edit: never mind. Its way out of date now lmfao. I think I found a new project!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, i think it tops out with pascal cards right now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, i think it tops out with pascal cards right now

I’ll see what is going on right now. It’s probably a bunch of new dependencies or some poo poo that make it difficult to update the package. right up my alley.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At first glance, it looks like the 390 driver series was the last series to support x86 32bit. I'll submit a patch to update to the 590 series and drop 32bit support.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Here's a patch that updates the nvidia-driver package. Apply with 'patch -p1 <' like normal.

There is a discussion about updating the NVIDIA drivers to the 500 series here. Seems like they want a split package for legacy support and nobody got around to it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

lol it does load

it's flash. in 2023

cheerpx vm :shepface:

:yikes:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Here's a patch that updates the nvidia-driver package. Apply with 'patch -p1 <' like normal.

There is a discussion about updating the NVIDIA drivers to the 500 series here. Seems like they want a split package for legacy support and nobody got around to it.

:yosnice:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

you are such a rockstar

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah, the generally accepted best practice for UI is QT QML

Does qt still have massive license costs? I remember looking at it for a product once, and they wanted some crazy number like 20k/year for the privilege of using their software. Product ended up using a framebuffer and OpenGL, if I remember correctly.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 27, 2023

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MrMoo posted:

Embedded with a display is surprisingly an incredibly underserved market considering the number of tiny screens out there. I hate all the options.

make a UI using curses (or a real forms framework) and use the tiny screen as an ANSI/xterm-256color terminal

if you want something more attach the tiny screen to an X server and write something for X11, it’s low-overhead and has worked acceptably for decades at this point

if you for some reason want to avoid X11 then just port MGR, it’s even lower-overhead

quote:

I want Electron in an embedded image with easy updates. Somehow after many years of existence this still isn’t a thing.

what the gently caress no you don’t

this attitude that one has to have a GPU and compositing and a loving JavaScript based UI framework to do UI is absolutely loving insane

you could do decent UI on an 8MHz 68000 with a not-insane amount of effort, and by the time you get to a 16MHz 68030 and the most basic 2D graphics acceleration, even less effort gets you something buttery smooth for a reasonable user interface

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
from now on you can imagine a thousand word disclaimer on each of my posts acknowledging that running electron on an embedded device will not optimize the function (user experience * 1/(bom cost)). I don’t feel like copy pasting it so simply rotate it in your mind.

there are companies out there, including mine, who are making their first embedded device that has a screen, having already shipped an electron app for a while. there’s a bunch of middleware implemented in browserjs using recent ish standards; there’s a bunch of ui flows (model? I don’t know the formalism) that are implemented in react or whatever that are separable from the view that you need to change to make it work on a small touchscreen. the business is neither interested in rewriting all that - either in another language or in a flavor of browser js that something like qt webview can do - and they are not interested in then maintaining an app that is that different. it’s sort of hard to blame them.

under that framework, it’s sometimes legitimately a good idea if you can afford it to get a processor that can run electron acceptably.

the ideal case for this situation, and what will happen eventually almost certainly, is that someone makes a project somewhat like electron (browser engine paired with either a very limited message passing interface to a node process or a very contained api for outside-the-browser-api interactions) that doesn’t involve vendoring all of loving chrome. someday, oh someday. in the meantime, you can get this poo poo to work, and the trade off you get for all that loving disk space is that it works surprisingly well on less resources than you’d think given that chrome wasn’t made for embedded devices

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
ultimately, I guess my point is: embedded development is a very big tent. it is “any programmable part that is not presented to the user as a general-purpose computer”. this often but not always intersects with cost or energy usage constraints. it always intersects with supply chain constraints both on the hardware side and the software side. sometimes your device is a dog collar with a gps antenna and a cell modem that needs to run weeks without recharging and have a $10 bom; sometimes it is a robot that in past decades would have an OEM windows pc with an fpga pcie card, has a bunch of $1000/unit actuators and runs on a bus bar and the cost of any kind of silicon falls right out.

like most other kinds of non software engineering, embedded engineering is about optimizing an over constrained system in which some of the constraints are economic, and some of the constraints are social, and this does not always lead to implementations that are technically clean and minimalistic.

anyway someone make me a good electron bbclass my giant monolithic do_compile is killing me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nothing can run electron acceptably.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i don't think you're gonna get anyone in here to say "its fine to run electron on an embedded device"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i don't think you're gonna get anyone in here to say "its fine to run electron on an embedded device"

We don’t kink shame here.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

Electron is fine if you have a bunch of RAM and you don’t care about performance.

I’ve worked on industrial machines that used Yocto for traceability / version-control, but could easily run desktop Linux from a specs perspective. On those kinds of systems, electron is fine.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think the easiest real defense of electron is that in 2023 you'll get a better ui going electron than any other option. not because of technology, but if you hire ui/ux people that's the tooling space they'll expect to work with and what will let them work the most effectively. ultimately the technology details are kind of irrelevant, as contrary to the point of yospos as that is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

FlapYoJacks posted:

We don’t kink shame here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

everything is “fine”, you just need to sandbox/lock it down enough

…says the sandbox seller

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Can a digital signage device not be an embedded device? They and commercial TVs are all on embedded hardware for a particular purpose.

Yocto and others like to push embedded-WebKit, which is actually not too bad and has GPU support explicitly: it’s funded by Comcast for set-top-boxes (STBs) . However that means custom clunky integration that has more friction than Electron. A lot of people just re-invent Electron even worse than the real thing. Go, Python, VBScript (loving BrightSign), have all been abused to such intent.

Advances in technology have made support of WebKit or Blink pretty much moot at the hardware level for a lot of targets. People seem to forget 2007 and the iPhone running a full Safari process and friends.

LG TVs run WebOS which is Linux X Qt5 X Embedded Blink. The security is poo poo and ability to track Blink updates very slow. They have been, like many others, stuck at Chrome 85-ish for the past 3 years as the Qt team had to rewrite everything to support the updated security models.

Somehow in the majority of signage devices you cannot actually stream video, unlike all the media players which easily achieve it. They advertise support but it doesn’t work, and because the stack is so old you have to use some clunky proprietary API to download media onto the local speedy SD card storage which then suffers from high transaction rates as nothing is cached in memory even with 8GB rams in a TV.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 27, 2023

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

electron is going to take us to mars you fools

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Samsung still has a 👑 for making a fork of Eclipse that auto-updates when run. The literal only tool to target their hardware will auto-update to a version that has dropped support for **ALL** the TV hardware you can actually purchase.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yocto provides standard recipes for Chromium and embedded-WebKit, the full desktop browser, and a bare renderer. Opposite ends of the spectrum.

If anything Electron should be promoted for a lot of the security policy they implement: process separation and sandboxing, which far exceeds that what would expect of many embedded engineers.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Samsung still has a 👑 for making a fork of Eclipse that auto-updates when run. The literal only tool to target their hardware will auto-update to a version that has dropped support for **ALL** the TV hardware you can actually purchase.

they're just trying to be nice and shield you from actually having to work with tizen

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There’s an STB video streaming company that made a WebGL based HTML renderer and open sourced it. All because Chromium was too slow for Netflix style UI on an embedded device.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The_Franz posted:

they're just trying to be nice and shield you from actually having to work with tizen

If you think Tizen is bad, you can still buy Ultra-Wide 86” panels running Orsay, that is their previous OS. The only debug route for a HTML-only platform is a RS-232 serial port. :lol:

Someone made an open source version of devtools called Weinre and that can be used instead, as long as you have Chrome before v65 as Google broke keyboard input support in the console.

I don’t know how anyone is using that hardware as we couldn’t get it to run with a static webpage for more than 5 hours without crashing. The goal was to replace LED clocks on the NYSE trade floor, and they couldn’t last a single trading session.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Does qt still have massive license costs? I remember looking at it for a product once, and they wanted some crazy number like 20k/year for the privilege of using their software. Product ended up using a framebuffer and OpenGL, if I remember correctly.

Yes, but if it's a commercial product, then $20,000/year should be nothing to your company for an easy-to-use, well-supported, well-documented, consistently and quickly updated, works with drat near every language UX framework.

Then again, companies are cheap shits so :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i dare anyone in here working with Yocto to try to enable CONFIG_DEVMEM (specifically this, not others) in the linux-intel kernel being built

gently caress me that was a trial to work out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume “bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig” is cheating

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it's not, but just using fragment .cfgs won't work and you'll spend hours building it only to see devmem not set in /proc/config.gz when you boot it. 'least for linux-intel anyway, idk about linux-yocto or whatever other kernels

there's some security "kernel_feature" or something that overrides changes to config_devmem (among others probably) in the kernel's metadata. took me a day to work that out then 2 more of futilely struggling with kernel config fragments before i learned about .scc files from a random listserv message

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 8, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MrMoo posted:

an open source version of devtools called Weinre

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Yocto's kernel config fragments are undocumented, undiscoverable garbage and they're also trash

Keep your defconfig out-of-tree and just copy it in as a do_patch step. Edit it, save it, and replace your tracked copy. On embedded systems, this is also a good way to handle custom device trees.

You can set it up with a bbappend.

I'll admit to having a 🍆 for yocto, but their kernel config system is holy-poo poo bad from a user experience perspective.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 8, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol everytime I hear about Yocto woes I laugh and go back to Buildroot. Yeah, it has its warts, but at least I can change a Linux defconfig and apply fragments with ease.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Yocto's kernel config fragments are undocumented, undiscoverable garbage and they're also trash

Keep your defconfig out-of-tree and just copy it in as a do_patch step. Edit it, save it, and replace your tracked copy. On embedded systems, this is also a good way to handle custom device trees.

You can set it up with a bbappend.

I'll admit to having a 🍆 for yocto, but their kernel config system is holy-poo poo bad from a user experience perspective.
tbh i'm not sure if even that'll work without that dumb SCC thing but i'll give it a shot monday, thanks for the idea

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 8, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress me i decided on a whim to ask chatgpt about that issue and it got the almost-solution it took me 3 days to reach, in like 5 seconds :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress me i decided on a whim to ask chatgpt about that issue and it got the almost-solution it took me 3 days to reach, in like 5 seconds :negative:

ChatGPT is amazing for things like this. :v: