Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Southern Heel posted:

I've had this Grey Knight sitting in my 'to finish' pile for too long, so I made strides to get it done - no doubt a few things to tidy up but I'm very pleased. It's got me thinking about a Middlehammer 40k army...

My fav grey knight sculpt. I have a squad of 5 but all missing their shoulder shields that is driving me nuts. Yours looking great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

My fav grey knight sculpt. I have a squad of 5 but all missing their shoulder shields that is driving me nuts. Yours looking great!

I totally forgot about the shoulder shield things - surely a candidate for 3D printing, really? I've got a whole bunch of other 1st and 2nd Edition Space marines that are painted up pretty averagely and I'm debating whether to strip them down and start again or whether that paintjob (which I guess is now pushing 15 years old?) is also a relic worth preserving. In the UK it's "Dettol" for stripping acrylic paints off plastic, right?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Be aware that while dettol is effective at stripping acrylic paint the model will smell very strongly of disinfectant after that, a smell that will persist after multiple washes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Southern Heel posted:

I totally forgot about the shoulder shield things - surely a candidate for 3D printing, really? I've got a whole bunch of other 1st and 2nd Edition Space marines that are painted up pretty averagely and I'm debating whether to strip them down and start again or whether that paintjob (which I guess is now pushing 15 years old?) is also a relic worth preserving. In the UK it's "Dettol" for stripping acrylic paints off plastic, right?

Dettol works, but it's slow (when I tried it the models needed to be submerged for literal days), the paint turns into a goo which seemed to desperately want to slide into recesses and clog detail, and as mentioned it leaves the models smelling if Dettol.

My go-to for stripping paint is metholated spirit/denatured alcohol. Dunk the figure in, wait a few minutes, pull them out and scrub gently with a toothbrush. Repeat as needed. Works much faster, paint doesn't melt together into a goo, and the meths smell evaporates off the model quickly.

Oh, but don't then use that toothbrush on your teeth. That's your model stripping toothbrush now.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Safe for both plastic and metal presumably, does it take off any spray undercoat too?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yep, takes most stuff back to the bare plastic/metal. I have had a few eBay rescues where they've undercoated with God alone knows what where it's taken a good few dunk and scrub cycles to get the undercoat off but they're the exception not the rule.

It's fine on metal or normal plastic, I've never tried it on resin or the soft pvc type plastic reaper bones are made with, but definitely fine on regular gw minis.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Southern Heel posted:

Safe for both plastic and metal presumably, does it take off any spray undercoat too?

It does. A trick I learned when I was still using Dettol is try to remove the paint with an old toothbrush as much as possible without rinsing with water for as long as possible, because that what makes the paint into a sticky gooey mess. So brush brush, rinse with Dettol. Had moderate success with brushing the mini with dish soap after Dettol, but still no water.
The concerns about it are no overstatement, I have miniatures I stripped with Dettol 6-7 years ago and they still stink. Soaking them in vinegar sort of helped.
Oh and Dettol is really toxic for cats, it can shut down their kidneys and stuff, so be aware.

In the end I moved to stripping with Isopropyl and never looked back.

Edit: Good for plastic and metal. Not so sure about finecast/resin.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 9, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's more expensive but Biostrip is a miracle worker when it comes to removing paint. Works fast, doesn't take much, doesn't leave odor or residue.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cheers - I'm still not sure whether those paintjobs are enough of a nostalgic relic to keep or not, so no rush.

I did find this little Inquisitor Lord in Terminator Armour at the back of my cupboard - I believe I painted him around the time the Eldar Guardians got their first multi-pose models. No, he's not a Howling Griffon - I just wanted something unique:

grobbo
May 29, 2014
My wife and I decided to pick up modelling to get us off our screens on rainy days, which has meant picking up 40k miniatures for the first time in 20+ years. (I always loved the kitbashing as a kid, but was always too clumsy and impatient for the painting.)

She sensibly got a starter kit and is now neatly painting up her push-fit Ultramarines and Necrons. I stupidly decided to get some Plague Marines because I wanted to build them as a bunch of dads taking their Nurgling toddlers to the playpark.

I built them and love them, but because I'm inevitably going to screw the paintjob up they're sitting to one side for the foreseeable future while I practice on Rotwalkers.

Turns out I'm still terrible at this (wash-shading just looks dirty and loose at the moment and I don't know how to fix that), but there's definitely a lot more useful resources than there used to be, so thank you to this thread for making things much, much easier.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Best thing about IPA is that it's water soluble so washing will actually get the paint off. When I used dichloromethane it'd strip the paint but I'd have to scrub it in itself because it wasn't water soluble and the paint residue would turn into a gummy mess if you add water.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Stripping protip: use an electric toothbrush :getin:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I feel like shill for P&G for always saying this but Dawn Power Dissolver is an amazing acrylic paint stripper. Safe for Plastic and metal, it's a bit expensive but it's a spray gel so you don't need to use very much and a bottle will last you forever. I used it to quickly strip chaos black spray off of some ebay rescues years ago that a month soaking in Simple Green couldn't touch.

Plus it will take the baked on grease off your stove top like a champ.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Acetone for pewter. Someone suggested it to me earlier in the thread and it worked like a charm

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Continuing my project of working through the first founding chapters, so I can try a few different colours, and I'm about as finished as I'm gonna get with this little raven guard duder for now. I'm not very happy with the result, though the helmet was a lot of fun. Found a beakie lying in my ancient pile of bits and decided it was a good fit for a birdboy.

Painting black was surprisingly difficult, I started off with trying to highlight normally but it just contrasted so much with the black and looked like a total mess, so I ended up mostly carefully drybrushing to highlight the edges instead, maybe that was a mistake. I'll soon have another go when I get to iron hands, I guess. Did NOT try to freehand a bird again

e: next up, imperial fists and yellow :stonklol:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 9, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The trick to black is to not actually paint it black, use a dark grey like Vallejo MC Black-Grey or an equivalent (I think Two Thin Coats Death Reaper is close?), then wash and highlight as usual.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alternatively, just prime black, clean up with black, then highlight a few times

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Or not and actually do a good job at painting black by doing the off-black method

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why are you so frequently unnecessarily aggressive in your posting?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Eh, It's just how they love men in Spain.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Continuing my project of working through the first founding chapters, so I can try a few different colours, and I'm about as finished as I'm gonna get with this little raven guard duder for now. I'm not very happy with the result, though the helmet was a lot of fun. Found a beakie lying in my ancient pile of bits and decided it was a good fit for a birdboy.

Painting black was surprisingly difficult, I started off with trying to highlight normally but it just contrasted so much with the black and looked like a total mess, so I ended up mostly carefully drybrushing to highlight the edges instead, maybe that was a mistake. I'll soon have another go when I get to iron hands, I guess. Did NOT try to freehand a bird again

e: next up, imperial fists and yellow :stonklol:

This looks pretty great for edge highlight on black honestly, especially if this is your first try on power armor.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Why are you so frequently unnecessarily aggressive in your posting?

mess with the bull you get the horns, or something

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Chromatics posted:

This looks pretty great for edge highlight on black honestly, especially if this is your first try on power armor.

Thanks! I painted maybe two dozen ultramarines and a squad of imperial guard back in like 2005, so every colour other than blue is pretty much my first on power armor

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Easiest way to do black is off black of choice (VMC Dark Grey/GW Incubi Darkness etc) drybrush a few highlights on then apply Black Templar to it.

You can go back to clean it up with more manual highlights as desired.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Painting NMM on a sword the first time: Challenging, but doable!

Painting a whole Necron carapace gold NMM for the first time: I need to find a new hobby.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would not wish that on my worst enemy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I still maintain that the Prime Black method is a fine alternative: you’re doing 3-4 rounds of highlights, but the first “Chunky” and final “X-Fine” ones are easy. You can even change up the effect depending on highlights (Black to Blue, Black to Green, Black to Teal).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I still maintain that the Prime Black method is a fine alternative: you’re doing 3-4 rounds of highlights, but the first “Chunky” and final “X-Fine” ones are easy. You can even change up the effect depending on highlights (Black to Blue, Black to Green, Black to Teal).

Off black followed by a wash means you can afford to be very sloppy with the highlights. Doing it your way requires far more precision.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just finished part 1 of my Turnip28 project I've got going on, The Beetstie Boys

Fodder (still need a second squad of these)

Don't ever squelch at me or my son again.

Brutes & Chaff

Stump Gun

Bastards / Whelps

Fun project, was able to paint way out of my usual boring historicals color range. Everything was painted almost exclusively with the Vallejo Xpress paints. I'll probably go back and add some gloss varnish to spots to drive home that damp, muddy look.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Off black followed by a wash means you can afford to be very sloppy with the highlights. Doing it your way requires far more precision.

Fair enough

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Etsy is probably the best bet, almost all 3d printed base producers have Etsy retailers selling their bases. Is there a particular look or army you want, I can help search for something specific as I know the 3d print scene pretty well.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=warhammer%20bases&ref=search_bar

My next project is probably going to be some Skaven, so some tactical rock piles and the occasional bricked floor are probably what I'm looking for. Any particular sellers you'd recommend?

----

Meanwhile, a dragon.

He's pretty big.

I'm really glad I did this with an airbrush and oil washes, because I would have been here a lot longer picking out each one of those scales otherwise. This is the kit that finally made me give up and drybrush like crazy, and I'm pretty happy with that part. Not so much the gap filling that completely vanished. I dunno, he looks sufficiently different from the studio schemes that I'm happy with that part, but otherwise I'm kinda meh on the big goober now that I'm done with it. My biggest surprise is that I'm happier not pushing the wings any further - I think any more detailing or patterning and they'd be distracting.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Incredibly cool!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just finished part 1 of my Turnip28 project I've got going on, The Beetstie Boys

These little guys are great!

Also I am extremely definitely not painting an imperial fist army or perhaps yellow ever again:

At least these two can hang out together in the bookshelf now

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

*shoots 1000 needles at u*

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Can anyone point me to some good online US based sellers?
I'd like to expand into Vallejo paints and I'm struggling to find someone to purchase from. I am getting back into painting after many years away and opted to try Army Painter (which I do have some now) vs Citadel. Citadel has just gotten completely unreasonable price wise.
When I worked for GW it was whatever but now? No thanks.
PP3 also use to be one I dabbled with, not sure how the quality is now

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Miniature Market
Umbrella Games

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I've picked up a few Vallejo sets from MegaHobby

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Painting yellow seemed fine with tamiya yellow and streaking grime but that's with an airbrush

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Tinkering around with my BT scheme and I think I've finally settled on this.

I don't want to talk about how I painted the black because I fear I've done it the wrong way :ohdear:

Winklebottom posted:

*shoots 1000 needles at u*

This kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Count Thrashula posted:

Tinkering around with my BT scheme and I think I've finally settled on this.

I don't want to talk about how I painted the black because I fear I've done it the wrong way :ohdear:

You'll have to wait and see what the Council of Very Serious Painters says.

Personally, I like it.