Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ocean fishing is a great way to level FSH.

catching the fabled fish is some real sicko poo poo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

shadowfisher

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Fishfish

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO

goblin week posted:

ugghhh i dont wanna do the MSQ i just wanna do stupid poo poo left and right but there’s so much of it that only unlocks in heavensward

The story skip is worth it. Unless youre fuckin Invested in the story, youll be fine. I couldnt give a poo poo less about any character in the game, I just want to watch numbers go up. (Ill take my perma now ty lol)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Heavensfish

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

At the end of the day it’s your own money, time, and fun, but you might like the characters if you spent actual time with them.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Is there like a reason why people don't roll on loot, or just don't open like even the treasure coffers after boss fights? It's real confusing and feels like a recent trend. I don't like it.

Edit: I feel like it's maybe a WoW refugee thing since that isn't a thing in those games, and even loot rolls aren't all that common any more?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's a story that will probably make you genuinely like that obnoxious little poo poo (at your point in the story) Alphinaud. If that's not high praise for the quality of writing, I don't know what is.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Is there like a reason why people don't roll on loot, or just don't open like even the treasure coffers after boss fights? It's real confusing and feels like a recent trend. I don't like it.

Edit: I feel like it's maybe a WoW refugee thing since that isn't a thing in those games, and even loot rolls aren't all that common any more?

Because they want to conserve inventory space and vastly outgear the items/don't want the glams and are running the content for catbooks or something similar, would be my guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bobtheconqueror posted:

For not opening coffers, I think it's just people wanting to get through the dungeon ASAP? I don't get it when it's stuff like post-boss coffers that take negligible time, but I think people just zoom.

As for not rolling on gear... I honestly don't know. I roll Greed on everything because I want GC seals or desynth points even if I don't want the gear, but I've definitely been in a lot of runs where I'm the only person Greeding, and I worry I've done something impolite. But the gear is just sitting there! Someone should take it!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
When running old Normal Raids, make sure to open all the chests and then scoot on out of there. Last one to leave gets an inventory full of junk they have to clear out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

bobtheconqueror posted:

If I'm doing older content the loot is probably something I already have or don't need. and depending on the fight I'm trying to leave before everyone else does and dumps six pants I can't wear into my inventory.
Also some people don't roll because they *really* want an item and are hoping all the other players get impatient and leave first so they get it by default.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, yeah, old raid gear tokens (and the couple of level 50 dungeons that give the ARR equivalents) are good choices to not even open the chest and be like SEEYA LATER SHITLORDS if someone does

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

HPanda posted:

When running old Normal Raids, make sure to open all the chests and then scoot on out of there. Last one to leave gets an inventory full of junk they have to clear out.

I totally understand old raid tokens cause yeah, that's functionally garbage that you can't even vendor. It's just leveling dungeons or even alliance raids. Just really weird and not something that I recall being a thing before like this year.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, plenty of people have everything at L90 and probably don't want to bother dealing with selling off some level 45 subligar or something.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I totally understand old raid tokens cause yeah, that's functionally garbage that you can't even vendor. It's just leveling dungeons or even alliance raids. Just really weird and not something that I recall being a thing before like this year.

Naw this has always been the case. The only value those random coffers have is glam, desynth and gc seals and most people probably aren't invested enough to care about any of these.

Yes I realize lots of people care about glam but just about *nobody is going to go crawling through the Eorzean Collection looking up gear sets to see what dungeons are worth grinding.

*I do this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i cant remember the last time i opened any dungeon treasure chest. i dont want anything thats in them and sometimes it's plopped into my inventory for me to forget about for months before i realize i have a page less of storage than i should

its to the point where anytime i run content with my friends it's a joke to open the last coffer and leave as fast as possible since no one wants anything and whoever is the slowest to leave gets stuck with it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I greed everything to turn into seals to feed my gacha addiction (and also ventures).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been doing a lot of Eureka lately so my precious inventory space is becoming even more scarce.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I gotta keep opening GC loot boxes in the hopes that I get some incredibly rare Eureka thing and not just four bombfishes in a row.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

its to the point where anytime i run content with my friends it's a joke to open the last coffer and leave as fast as possible since no one wants anything and whoever is the slowest to leave gets stuck with it

same lmao

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HackensackBackpack posted:

I gotta keep opening GC loot boxes in the hopes that I get some incredibly rare Eureka thing and not just four bombfishes in a row.

It'll happen one day. I mean it hasn't happened to me yet but I'm told

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lazer Viking posted:

The story skip is worth it. Unless youre fuckin Invested in the story, youll be fine. I couldnt give a poo poo less about any character in the game, I just want to watch numbers go up. (Ill take my perma now ty lol)

I'll allow story skips for alts but for the main I'm like ehh-- the MSQ ended up being more impactful even though I played through before ARR was reduced before HW. Also, I like the feeling of time passing as characters change and improve.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The thing about the story skip, imho, is that the story continues to build on what's been established before in terms of character and setting -- it doesn't do the more typical MMO approach of giving you a fresh scenario every expac. If you skip to "the good parts," they're probably not gonna be very good, just because you won't have the grounding. This also isn't a typical "everything worth doing is waiting for level cap" MMO, so skipping the story doesn't get you to the good gameplay stuff, I guess unless you're really into the fairly minimal raid selection? I dunno. Some people skip the whole story and have fun, so do what you feel, but if you're going in with standard MMO assumptions that the leveling story is worthless and you should skip to cap, you're going to be losing the meat of the game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Proof that you have to stick with the story and then you’ll care about the characters: my second favorite Scion and my favorite of the OG Scions is Urianger.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you buy a story skip you can always loop back around later and do ng+ for the story. have it both ways!

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO
Its me. The guy who skipped the whole thing (up to EW, since I came back just before launch) and still had fun. Theres wayyyy more to do than the "minimal raid selection." Ive spent the past two months powerleveling my crafters and makin money. Or is powerleveling against the rules too?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
imo the earlier you decide to engage with the story and try to follow what's happening the better. if you start speeding through it for the sake of getting through the msq you'll get more and more lost and you'll miss out on the story getting better and better. you might still have fun without the story, but you'll be seriously missing out on what makes the game so good

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
ive already reported you to the eorzean alliance task moderators elite
have fun in mordion gaol you sicko

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
i really do not care about how other people want to play the game. the story will always be there if you happen to become curious about what the hell is going on from doing raids or whatever.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
it ain't a rule that you have to see the MSQ but it gets really good in the tail end of ARR, gets better in HW, goes back and forth but is pretty good in StB and then the payoff from ShB on is incredible

so quite frankly you're punishing yourself enough if you miss out on that... !!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

bobtheconqueror posted:

The raid tokens go in a retainer and eventually get turned into gear for glams/desynth/seals.

Always dump them on the newbie watching the cutscene though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It'll happen one day. I mean it hasn't happened to me yet but I'm told

Happened to me once early on but hasn't happened since.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Look if you've been to the waking sands like forty times, might as well finish the entire story.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Kinda wanna do eureka to get ozmount but no idea how to start or do it good :nyoron:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kitfox88 posted:

Kinda wanna do eureka to get ozmount but no idea how to start or do it good :nyoron:

One step at a time. Do the challenge logs and you'll get there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kitfox88 posted:

When you get your elemental grid, stack all 5 points into one element; you want to be killing stuff as fast as possible because of the chain bonus

You can right click on enemy nameplates there, and there will be an option to automatically adjust your grid for offense or defense against that enemy’s element

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you're in the goon discord there's a bunch of knowledgeable people who can tell you poo poo, and if you start hollering for help in Eureka itself there's usually helpful players who will holler back. Don't be afraid to group up with random assholes and ask questions. Also do the challenge log and all of Krile's quests.

Edit: if you have nameplates on minimum/hide turn that poo poo back on, anything close to your level or higher will aggro when it sees you and something 3 or 4 levels above you will mulch you.

Don't he afraid to sneak around, you'll get a good sense of how far/wide the vision cones on enemies are.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 10, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've still never done Eureka, but boy was I surprised when I found out enemies didn't work in the overworld like I thought they did for years, yet they work exactly like that in Eureka.

I was sneaking for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I've gotten the flying chair mount twice from GC seal boxes.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be worth a ton since it's a craftable item, but I love it all the same. Nice and quiet.