Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

malcom gladwell wrote this about the indians in America who, unable to conceive of a manmade structure so large, were completely blind to approaching ships on the ocean
You need 10000 hours of practice to not make lovely posts in the car hate thread.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

If you live in the US it is admittedly probably not beneficial for your mental health to realize how terrible all this stuff is because it's everywhere you go

That's why the cspam project is to jokerfy everyone who posts there

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Cup Runneth Over posted:

C-spam improved my mental, financial, and spiritual health buddy. Don't worry things will get better

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Terminal autist posted:

C-spam improved my mental, financial, and spiritual health buddy. Don't worry things will get better

That's what I said

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh yeah I almost got Tiny Dinky Daffy'd (pancaked by a garbage truck) on my way home from work yesterday morning...

The truck drivers for private sanitation companies are probably the #1 most absurd drivers in NYC. They're given absurd, unrealistic nightly schedules that they can only achieve if they drive like loving maniacs. If I'm on my bike and I see one coming, I just pull over until they're gone because I've seen them do the craziest poo poo many many times

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

One of the closest times to dying I've ever come on a bike was when a Waste Management dump truck just screamed out of a city alley right in front of me. They were totally blind doing that, but just decided there probably wasn't anyone there at 10PM.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao I was probed for 4 days for saying it was an amazing video (it was). Literally one in a million shot, looked like a Michael Bay movie. aired on dozens of local news channels who teased the video during commercial breaks

Of course the mod assumed that I was saying it was a great thing that someone got hurt in a car accident.

which is insane because its literally my job to try to end car violence

Seems like you have a financial interest in car violence continuing...

mastershakeman posted:

There's a lot of spots in Chicago where you can park except during rush hour , when the extra lane of traffic is super needed!!!! And towing is nearly instant. I got got multiple times over the years due to this, mainly because I didn't have a stable 9-5 m-f and would sometimes forget which was a weekend vs weekday

So yeah great to see abandoning cars in a bike lane doesn't get a tow when milliseconds of parking in a car lane does

Seems like it would be easier to police a lane that you just need to clear once a day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I stopped biking to work and started walking (~25 mins) because I find that I arrive a lot calmer that way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I started biking to work and arrive a lot sweatier

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1645072346590371841?t=roRRrfqZ7J5IxgG880miFg&s=19

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I went for a bike ride for the first time this year, I rode over to a lake and then around the lake then back home and it was very nice. :feelsgood:

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Minera posted:

cool racist anecdote, but lets keep it on topic. maybe something about black drivers and winter weather next time, hmm?

cat botherer posted:

You need 10000 hours of practice to not make lovely posts in the car hate thread.

gladwell is a famous author, historian, mathematician, economist, and many other things. perhaps you could challenge his ideas rather than sling ad hominems?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fermun posted:

i have a fractured rib because a car used the bike lane that i was in. i guess cars are better than me.

edit:it's a hairline fracture, i'm actually totally fine i'm just in moderate pain and can't turn to the side very well and have to consciously breathe deeply and stuff because apparently not breathing deeply when you have a rib fracture causes pneumonia

drat that sux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

The truck drivers for private sanitation companies are probably the #1 most absurd drivers in NYC. They're given absurd, unrealistic nightly schedules that they can only achieve if they drive like loving maniacs. If I'm on my bike and I see one coming, I just pull over until they're gone because I've seen them do the craziest poo poo many many times

lol, smart

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

:hmmyes: more and more of worse and worse

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

withak posted:

I stopped biking to work and started walking (~25 mins) because I find that I arrive a lot calmer that way.

Yeah me too. I could save ten minutes if I rode in (and I still do sometimes), but the pleasant walk is worth it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

NeatHeteroDude posted:

gladwell is a famous author, historian, mathematician, economist, and many other things. perhaps you could challenge his ideas rather than sling ad hominems?
You're talking about a guy that thought "eigenvalue" was actually "Igon value."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

NeatHeteroDude posted:

dude... no

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

NeatHeteroDude posted:

he looks like poo poo and the 10000 hours thing is dumb and fake

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

dude... no

cat botherer posted:

You're talking about a guy that thought "eigenvalue" was actually "Igon value."
I'm pretty sure that comment was a joke, lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mystes posted:

not gonna give the guy who loves glenn greenwald the benefit of the doubt

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mystes posted:

No it wasn't. He was transcribing something Taleb was saying:

(love him or hate him, Taleb definitely knows how to spell eigenvalue)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Malcom Gladwell's account spotted.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cuttlefush posted:

not gonna give the guy who loves glenn greenwald the benefit of the doubt

oh lmao theyre from the greenwald thread? it all makes sense now

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Apr 10, 2023

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

interesting. sounds like sour grapes to me. how many books have you written?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

NeatHeteroDude posted:

interesting. sounds like sour grapes to me. how many books have you written?

im one of the few writers who's written more books than hes read

mystes
May 31, 2006

cat botherer posted:

No it wasn't. He was transcribing something Taleb was saying:

(love him or hate him, Taleb definitely knows how to spell eigenvalue)
I meant NeatHeteroDude's comment, although maybe I was wrong about that anyway

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I've never taken money from cigarette manufacturers to fight against indoor smoking bans so I know I am better than Malcom Gladwell in that respect

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's v funny how many goods are so blinded by the mod star that they look past obvious joke posts

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

lobster shirt posted:

im one of the few writers who's written more books than hes read

you must be writing all the time! gladwell mentions how important that is to be good at things

bedpan posted:

I've never taken money from cigarette manufacturers to fight against indoor smoking bans so I know I am better than Malcom Gladwell in that respect

counterpoint: smoking inside a building is very satisfying, and gladwell probably looked at the data and determined it was also safe.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's v funny how many goods are so blinded by the mod star that they look past obvious joke posts

more like malcolm madwell

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

malcom badwell

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It really is loving eye opening when you start walking / running / on foot more in the urban environment. trash everywhere, half of the drivers not paying attention to anything, lovely sidewalks, lovely or no crosswalks. it all sucks poo poo

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Zoodpipe posted:

It really is loving eye opening when you start walking / running / on foot more in the urban environment. trash everywhere, half of the drivers not paying attention to anything, lovely sidewalks, lovely or no crosswalks. it all sucks poo poo
honestly I don’t even give a poo poo about the trash or sidewalks I just hate walking next to a 4+ lane car sewer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

NHD is the person most likely here to sincerely enjoy and believe in Malcolm gladwells writing

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

gladwell once proved that cops become autistic when they get escalated but more importantly that autistic people were incapable of reading or caring about emotions. he did so by having an autistic guy who was loving his mentor watch a black-and-white movie with eye-tracking headgear on. his discovery? the man would rather look at the lightswitch than the scene in a 4 hour movie where one guy was yelling at his wife.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

gladwell once proved that cops become autistic when they get escalated but more importantly that autistic people were incapable of reading or caring about emotions. he did so by having an autistic guy who was loving his mentor watch a black-and-white movie with eye-tracking headgear on. his discovery? the man would rather look at the lightswitch than the scene in a 4 hour movie where one guy was yelling at his wife.

your posts suck, go away

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

your posts suck, go away

maybe you could, i dunno, pick up a book for once? perhaps one written by a famous, bestselling author from south Africa?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

remember that time you posted about how you couldn't wait to obliterate some posters itt, then made a bunch of probes and bans so bad they had to be walked back by the admins? pretty cool stuff. glad you've decided to stick around even though everyone thinks you suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

not sure what this has to do with the works of malcom gladwell?