Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
There used to be an old podcast thread in GBS that had a bunch of UYD posted in it.

e: prior to this thread/RGD

mcvey fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
2006 for life

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

My friend told me to listen to UYD and the newest episode was either 223 or 232, somewhere in there. It was kind of a stinker episode compared to how good the show actually is and I remember not liking it that much. I had never listened to a podcast before though and I was working a janitor job at the time so I just kept listening and flew through a TON of episodes from the beginning really fast. Never thinking my own thoughts haha. It's interesting listening to old episodes, hearing a bit and going "wow I remember exactly what I was cleaning when I first heard this".

E: I've called the voicemail once to correct him about a fact that Jonathan got somewhat wrong close to where I lived and I called Seth's home phone once. That sounds weird to type, but he called me back and I don't remember what we talked about but it was a good conversation and he was really nice.

Haven't really been digging the new episodes for a while now. Seth is still funny but eh. It's the only podcast I've listened to every week and never missed. They could talk about the groceries they've bought for two months straight with no other segments and I'd still listen to every one. 2006 for life.

emptyrave fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 6, 2023

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
False etymology moment in 867 where Jonathan claims that skoal comes from skull, which Scandinavians would drink out of and clink together to toast.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

False etymology moment in 867 where Jonathan claims that skoal comes from skull, which Scandinavians would drink out of and clink together to toast.

i love when jon just says stuff he half remembers maybe reading somewhere, possibly in a dream

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

duomo posted:

Jonathan trying to end the episodes early is always hilarious. He does it only 25 minutes in on 969.
Honestly this sometimes has me worried that he’s done with it and 1000 will be the last episode

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

That would suck but also 1000 episodes of uyd is such a blessing overall. Plus, as per the latest ep 972, they can just get voice robots to replace them. Jah can finally dedicate more time to the band.
E: ten years of listenership for me. My first post a decade back in February of 2013:

Lampsacus posted:

I listened to this a year ago and didn't 'get it'. It's just two guys talking about crap. I could do that on the couch with my flatmates.

I've listened to ten episodes in the past two days. Oh my, what a goldmine!

Q: Should I start from the start?
I remember what clicked it for me was the op describing them as like, the neurotic failed LA actor and the buzzy hippie ex rasta. It was the fact that these guys had lived interesting lives, fallen on their faces (as we all do, constantly), and now had reached a point where they could laugh at themselves. I think it was similar to a turning out I had back then so it really resonated. Ahh.. 2013 where I was starting to learn it's ok to laugh at yourself and life and it's all good homie, hop in etc.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 6, 2023

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

I remember what clicked it for me was the op describing them as like, the neurotic failed LA actor and the buzzy hippie ex rasta.

This sounds incredibly familiar, it may have been the same thing that convinced me to try, pretty early in the series run (around ep 100?).

My friends and I were already hosting To Catch A Predator parties, so UYD immediately clicked with me!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Seth is also the only cultural figure I’ve ever heard talk about how sobriety loving sucks while also maintaining sobriety for like 20 years

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
"You got sober on 4/20?"
"Yes."
"Fuckin' rear end in a top hat."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CaptainRat posted:

"You got sober on 4/20?"
"Yes."
"Fuckin' rear end in a top hat."

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

inferis posted:

Seth is also the only cultural figure I’ve ever heard talk about how sobriety loving sucks while also maintaining sobriety for like 20 years

The other option is indescribably worse.

As a fellow former drinker, the episode where the beer explodes in the closet will always be my favorite

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

uber_stoat posted:

this thread is over 10 years old. lmao

I just looked up the first posts I ever made in this thread and reflected on how different my life was back then

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

mcvey posted:

I have a six day load that needs a home.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

New York Astrology Conference is happening this year. They aim to build credibility. Workshops include "finding the gypsy within".

Later jah claims if he ever saw Johnny Depp in real life he'd punch his neck haha. They also hate John Mayer, they look up his fashion and jah gets mad because its precision what he would wear haha

I love when they riff on American LA new age hippie stuff because we have some of that here in NZ and it's very funny to riff on.

E. 325 2012

E: also lol. Jah says a dumb thing, Seth replies "I don't think people realize, we are two dudes and we talk a lot of poo poo. Sometimes people call up [to correct us] but like,, we don't know anything. We are talking absolute poo poo. But you know Jonathan, you might be right about this one, I think this one is the exception."

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 6, 2023

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
"80% of people with down syndrome are black children."

- Johnathan Larroquette Jr.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Odddzy posted:

all timer. here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7mqMzJvrw

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Odddzy posted:

I think every time this comes up I post Jonathan's recounting of that conversation many episodes later: "I told you '1 in 10 black children are born with Down's Syndrome,' and you said, 'Jonathan, those are terrible odds.' And I said, 'I know. It's really sad.'"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
He's so pure, I love him.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

a serious addict who quit before four loko and legal weed and makes his living on the internet as one of the first podcasters but doesn’t own a cellphone partnering up with a hollywood lot kid who loves animals but drowned a rat in a bag and is a burner who hates consumerism and goes to starbucks four times a day

They’re Perfect In Every Way

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
started listening when they were in the 150s lol it was the first pod where i felt i NEEDED to go through from ep1

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

inferis posted:

a serious addict who quit before four loko and legal weed and makes his living on the internet as one of the first podcasters but doesn’t own a cellphone partnering up with a hollywood lot kid who loves animals but drowned a rat in a bag and is a burner who hates consumerism and goes to starbucks four times a day

It really is just a very good execution of the classic Odd Couple dynamic.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It really is just a very good execution of the classic Odd Couple dynamic.

It’s zztop dynamic because the guy in zztop named beard didn’t have one and the guy on the podcast who looks like John larroquette isn’t the one named John larroquette

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

inferis posted:

ugh they're the best.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Claes Oldenburger posted:

ugh they're the best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Claes Oldenburger posted:

ugh they're the best.

Someday I will get someone else to listen to this show and stick with it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9qtPo7VqGU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
UYD: Whitest Diapers in the Neighborhood

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

"No man it, it's cool man, it's just cool, find your center... Find your suicide note, find it in my back pocket!"

Kevin DuBrow posted:

We definitely say "Skål!" when we toast here in Sweden, so there's some truth to it (but "skål" translates to "bowl").

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 7, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They just posted an unlisted Youtube playlist of the back video episodes to Patreon, looks like approximately 675-949 (not always in order and some duplicates lol).

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

inferis posted:

I love them so much :love:

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Latest few eps indicate they've switched to using a consistent intro and exit theme, shocking.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I don't really listen to too much uyd anymore but it's crazy that a podcast with the patreon numbers that uyd have that their audio still can be absolutely rubbish on occasion. Like I tried to listen to one of their recent ones and my standards for audio quality really aren't even that high but jfc. They're still extremely funny but yeah.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 9, 2023

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I know what ep you're talking about, I almost turned it off at first but whatever they were talking about was funny so I stuck around and got used to it after a spell. Sometimes it doesn't record properly and they have to resort to camera audio, that's the JPL level of quality that everyone p much expects to live with at this point lol

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

I don't see how anyone could get into this podcast without someone curating a bunch of clips/episodes to listen to and giving some back story. If I started a new podcast and the first five minutes were one of the hosts on their phone trying to remember something with nothing funny being said I'd instantly turn it off.

Good for them for trying something new though. I don't want to sound like a hater praying for their downfall, I just can't imagine listening to UYD if you haven't already been listening for 7-10 years.

The archive episodes starting at 799 would be a great intro to the pod. I think doing something with those as their own contained Thing could work really well for getting new listeners. E: Like putting them on YouTube and numbering them starting with Episode 1 as Uhh Yeah Dude Archives or something like that? Every single one of those episodes are bangers.

emptyrave fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 9, 2023

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I haven't had a dive into the archives in a long while, but the old 1-200 or whatever eps are way, way funnier than the current ones by miles (with the occasional gem). Like a bunch of modern episodes seem more like a chat-cast than a comedy show. Life in hellworld getting ever older is rough as gently caress on everyone huh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

something from when you were 16 years younger are just better than things now, huh?

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

Uhh Yeah Dude, Episode 505, Most Popular Baby Names of 2015, Even Boden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrURcvJXQks

I definitely still think both of them have it in them to make me lol as much as they used to, but the content can't and won't be the same. You can't have an ironic persona for 17 years, they've become themselves and dropped the shtick on the pod and I think it's for the better. They're both still funny, but I do agree that it's become a chatcast for a while now. Ebbs and flows.

Anyways, everyone post your favorite clips again so I can relive the glory days of Seth having a black grandson named Jeff.

emptyrave fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

emptyrave posted:

Anyways, everyone post your favorite clips again so I can relive the glory days of Seth having a black grandson named Jeff.

Posting UYD clips on YouTube was the first time I ever got, like, over 1,000 hits on views on anything. This is still the 3rd most popular thing I've ever posted online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_tUxghWeA