Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I always have to pay taxes because I’m self employed, but then I get to sleep in a lot and I pee with the door open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The critics have the score for the mario movie at 56 percent on rotten tomatoes while the audience score is 96. I read some of the critic reviews and they sound really pretentious. The movie was fun, sometimes that's all a movie needs to be.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell yeah dude i love The Minions

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Mario movie was exactly what I expected it to be, nothing more and nothing less. It’s just a thing that exists, the epitome of “fine”.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Captain Magic posted:

I always have to pay taxes because I’m self employed, but then I get to sleep in a lot and I pee with the door open

peeing with your front door open is definitely a power move

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shard posted:

The critics have the score for the mario movie at 56 percent on rotten tomatoes while the audience score is 96. I read some of the critic reviews and they sound really pretentious. The movie was fun, sometimes that's all a movie needs to be.

I saw some absolutely insane takes in some of the reviews for the movie. It ain't perfect or anything but it isn't a 56.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Can't believe critics hate fast food and the public loves it. Never happens

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Critics are paid by the metric ton of bullshit they produce. It’s meant to act as a safeguard for democracy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always smh when people get mad at "the critics." Most critical reviews are more than just the number at the end, and most of them reserve high ratings of like 4+ stars for really special movies, and try to keep their own ratings consistent with themselves. Those reviews will say something like "a fun family movie and the kids and mario fans will enjoy themselves, but it's nothing more interesting than that. 2.5/5." And then people get mad, even though that's a qualified recommendation and it's (probably) true.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I always smh when people get mad at "the critics." Most critical reviews are more than just the number at the end, and most of them reserve high ratings of like 4+ stars for really special movies, and try to keep their own ratings consistent with themselves. Those reviews will say something like "a fun family movie and the kids and mario fans will enjoy themselves, but it's nothing more interesting than that. 2.5/5." And then people get mad, even though that's a qualified recommendation and it's (probably) true.

Yeah, Mario Movie is fun and that's all it needs to be but it's also pretty mid when you compare it to some of the recent animated movies coming out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I read the reviews on rotten tomatoes and I'm here to tell you that they were about as pertinacious as it gets.

Wenlei Ma
News.com.au
TOP CRITIC
The whole package is a deranged mishmash of overstimulating elements.

Sara Michelle Fetters
MovieFreak.com
TOP CRITIC
Kids may have the time of their lives watching The Super Mario Bros. Movie, but for most adults, this is game over.

Alison Willmore
New York Magazine/Vulture
TOP CRITIC
It’s all dispiritingly rote, aside from bursts of weird vitality whenever the film veers into action out of the games.

Charles Bramesco
Little White Lies
TOP CRITIC
Justice for Bob Hoskins.

Full Review | Original Score: 2/5 | Apr 5, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stand up for the dang kids film

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Walgreens hasn’t had my Adderall for like 12 days. Some issue with the supplier. EVERYTHING IS FINE.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stand up for the dang kids film

Buddy I'm on a goddang ladder, fist raised

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing Tales of Vesperia. I've only played Tales of Berseria previously, but I'm loving the staple style of the series that I'm seeing from these two games, they do a great job of developing characters very naturally.

The combat style in this one is different... it exists on a pretty regular real time 3d plane, except the camera and movement are locked to a 2d plane with you and whichever monster you're targeting. You're able to re-target at will and you can also hold a button to move freely without the lock if you want to resposition or whatever. It feels really nice though, it's perfect for that kind of repetitive JRPG gameplay where you're still engaged with the system, but it's removed a big chunk of the movement which let's that aspect be a little more mindless while you focus on trying characters and powers and stuff. It's neat.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah the good tales games are great, when the combat is good i can play for 100 hours and still enjoy it, even though its just mostly spamming buttons lol.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It’s a Minions movie with Mario in it, seems like a 2.5/5 movie to me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

yea ok posted:

yeah the good tales games are great, when the combat is good i can play for 100 hours and still enjoy it, even though its just mostly spamming buttons lol.

tales of graces f was worth it for the combat alone. I understand the story isn't quite as engaging as vesperia and berseria but eh, it was fun enough to play

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Tails series used to be my favorite jrpg series but now I'm playing Trails to Azure and I think that series is my new favorite. Played the Trails in the Sky series and Trails from Zero, all bangers. Excited to get into Cold Steel even though I know the quality is supposed to step down a bit.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

The Tails series used to be my favorite jrpg series but now I'm playing Trails to Azure and I think that series is my new favorite. Played the Trails in the Sky series and Trails from Zero, all bangers. Excited to get into Cold Steel even though I know the quality is supposed to step down a bit.

i need to play zero soon, the sky trilogy was sucking my poo poo so good. even the weird rear end 3rd one the writing was good enough to hard carry

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hate every tales game i played except i didn't get into the major classic gamecube one more than 30 minutes yet and plan on playing it one day. up the rear end. really don't like games where you spam button or the same combos with the sole exception of diablo likes, right Up the rear end.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

i need to play zero soon, the sky trilogy was sucking my poo poo so good. even the weird rear end 3rd one the writing was good enough to hard carry

Do it. Joshua and Estelle come back as side characters and everyone's favorite angel of death gets a ton more plot. Everyone's favorite priest is back in Azure which I'm hype for.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Tales Gets Trolled

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do you rember a tv show or movie quote where somebody is doing a commercial and they're supposed to drink something and say "ahh, _____" but he keeps messing up the name of the product. one of the things he says is, "ahhhh, ___ drink." i have that part repeating in my head but i don't know what it is or where it's from. Thanks a lot

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cavauro posted:

do you rember a tv show or movie quote where somebody is doing a commercial and they're supposed to drink something and say "ahh, _____" but he keeps messing up the name of the product. one of the things he says is, "ahhhh, ___ drink." i have that part repeating in my head but i don't know what it is or where it's from. Thanks a lot

liberty mutual with the libbity bibbity guy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is it joey in friends saying mmm noodle soup over and over again

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not that stuff. MIGHT be a cartoon but don't know at all.

edit might not be a cartoon. could be from a sketch show or a regular show. could be from a cartoon.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

There’s an Office bit where Andy can’t remember the end of the Kit-Kat jingle, maybe that?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ahh, the french champagne. of paul masson

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

quit saying stuff that isn't what i said. it's someone saying, "ahhh, ____ drink" and other things like that because he is saying the name of the product wrong, for an advertisement. the director or some other person might keep getting mad about it as well. can't remember. only reply if you think of one where the person says, "ahhh, _____ drink" as part of it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the ahh part is like the ahh that sometimes people make after drinking. i believe. it mighjt be a regular ahh.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

guy: "ahh, grape drink."

director: no, it's _____!

that sort of thing is what happens but i want to at least remember what the product was. it wasn't grape. i'm going to throw my head off the entire state building if i don't figure this out.

does anyone know if it's from rocko's modern life?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

guy: "ahh, grape drink."

director: no, it's _____!

that sort of thing is what happens but i want to at least remember what the product was. it wasn't grape. i'm going to throw my head off the entire state building if i don't figure this out.

does anyone know if it's from rocko's modern life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbepxXKCVRA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The system works

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/3K4sVrGiZCc

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shinjobi posted:

The system works

mods provide

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The tails games are so good. the number go up, brain juices yes

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pat from Pat Stares at, formerly of Two Best Friends Play, is having a kid. It's so funny because I've been watching him since he was in his 20s and remember him going that having kids is dumb lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Succession s4e3, am I right???