Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regarde Aduck posted:

in a shocking twist, Zelensky wins, deposes Putin and then as ultimate supreme leader of the empire of Ukrainussia, reinstates FULL COMMUNISM

concerning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

This Bloomberg article on how Ukraine should rebuild is mostly what you'd expect, but I had a laugh at the final section moaning that Ukraine is centralizing too much and overspending on defense during a defensive war. You have to wonder how widespread this sentiment is among their foreign backers.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-06/how-to-rebuild-ukraine-root-out-corruption-oligarchs

lol because decentralized liberal states can't fight wars!

The United States has "discovered" this in every major war. They have to rebuild the administrated state anew every time too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

in a shocking twist, Zelensky wins, deposes Putin and then as ultimate supreme leader of the empire of Ukrainussia, reinstates FULL COMMUNISM

Zelensky and Gorbachev would've been friends I know it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I saw this posted elsewhere and with this time stamp. I started watching it (watched nearly until the end) and I'm not sure if I'm following the subtitles correctly or if the subtitles are wrong. From this time stamp it seems like these people are human trafficking a minor (17y.o. girl). They get her father on the phone and he refuses to authorize power of attorney or whatever to get her out to him in Kyiv(?). Then they say her mother refuses as well, and wishes her daughter to get a Russian passport. No idea of the circumstances leading up to this, but it really reads like this Ukrainian organization is kidnapping and trafficking a minor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyWA9ZK4Qs&t=1170s

so this video was really interesting because its insanely loving vague about everything for no good reason but also seems to validate all of the talking points about russia kidnapping ukrainian children to do a genocide but only if you take everything the video says at face value and dont ask questions like why are the kids allowed to have cell phones at brainwashing camp or why theyre bothering to check in with their russian prison warden at the end when theyre back in kyiv and also why their russian prison warden seems to be mad mainly because children disappeared from the school so now shes dealing with the police and missing person reports like youd expect literally anywhere that a kid just disappears

as far as masha goes the situation definitely sounds like her mom was taking advantage of the war to sneak her out of the country so she wouldnt have to deal with her ex anymore which is the main reason anyone kidnaps a kid whats going on with anastasia is way murkier because the reporter claims that anastasia has a home to go back to but then at the end shes moving in with some random woman in kyiv??? most of the problems described sound like bureaucratic ones that basically boil down "we wont sign the kid over to anyone unless theyre a relative or have power of attorney" and i read anastasias father going ehhh on the phone as being motivated mainly by the fact that a human trafficker could for real kidnap her if he signed over power of attorney so hes super reluctant to give that to somebody he doesnt know instead of waiting for an official solution

on that particular question the ukrainian government doesnt appear to be doing literally anything to resolve this issue at all its briefly mentioned at one time that someone tried to contact a hotline and was surprised to find that there doesnt even seem to be a hotline which is why the whole operation is being masterminded by this random reporter

the one woman in the middle talking about brainwashing children to turn them into jannissaries was wild because thats so obviously not whats depicted at all what the video outlines as happening is that some teacher in kherson organizes a trip to crimea probably for the explicit purpose of loving off to russia before ukraine retook the city at least some of the parents including mashas mother and maybe anastasias family too appeared to be in on it because they believed their kids would be better off in russia nothing in the video even comes close to asserting that this is putins evil master plan to genocide ukrainian children and the children in this case are like seventeen which really isnt what anybodys thinking when they read headlines about russias crimes against humanity

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

so this video was really interesting because its insanely loving vague about everything for no good reason but also seems to validate all of the talking points about russia kidnapping ukrainian children to do a genocide but only if you take everything the video says at face value and dont ask questions like why are the kids allowed to have cell phones at brainwashing camp or why theyre bothering to check in with their russian prison warden at the end when theyre back in kyiv and also why their russian prison warden seems to be mad mainly because children disappeared from the school so now shes dealing with the police and missing person reports like youd expect literally anywhere that a kid just disappears

as far as masha goes the situation definitely sounds like her mom was taking advantage of the war to sneak her out of the country so she wouldnt have to deal with her ex anymore which is the main reason anyone kidnaps a kid whats going on with anastasia is way murkier because the reporter claims that anastasia has a home to go back to but then at the end shes moving in with some random woman in kyiv??? most of the problems described sound like bureaucratic ones that basically boil down "we wont sign the kid over to anyone unless theyre a relative or have power of attorney" and i read anastasias father going ehhh on the phone as being motivated mainly by the fact that a human trafficker could for real kidnap her if he signed over power of attorney so hes super reluctant to give that to somebody he doesnt know instead of waiting for an official solution

on that particular question the ukrainian government doesnt appear to be doing literally anything to resolve this issue at all its briefly mentioned at one time that someone tried to contact a hotline and was surprised to find that there doesnt even seem to be a hotline which is why the whole operation is being masterminded by this random reporter

the one woman in the middle talking about brainwashing children to turn them into jannissaries was wild because thats so obviously not whats depicted at all what the video outlines as happening is that some teacher in kherson organizes a trip to crimea probably for the explicit purpose of loving off to russia before ukraine retook the city at least some of the parents including mashas mother and maybe anastasias family too appeared to be in on it because they believed their kids would be better off in russia nothing in the video even comes close to asserting that this is putins evil master plan to genocide ukrainian children and the children in this case are like seventeen which really isnt what anybodys thinking when they read headlines about russias crimes against humanity

tbh it was better when i had to scroll past twitter embeds

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

so this video was really interesting because its insanely loving vague about everything for no good reason but also seems to validate all of the talking points about russia kidnapping ukrainian children to do a genocide but only if you take everything the video says at face value and dont ask questions like why are the kids allowed to have cell phones at brainwashing camp

when the BBC ran their story on this they focused on this one kid who was 'kidnapped' by Russians and then immedietly cut to her with her grandmother who she was able to contact and meet with. Literally didn't explain anything inbetween claiming she was kidnapped and then her with her gran.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

genericnick posted:

At some point you will pay for your crimes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

when the BBC ran their story on this they focused on this one kid who was 'kidnapped' by Russians and then immedietly cut to her with her grandmother who she was able to contact and meet with. Literally didn't explain anything inbetween claiming she was kidnapped and then her with her gran.

Me, a BBC reporter:

Picks up piece of old washing machine from garbage dump in Syria, take a deep close sniff on camera.

"Yeah I can definitely smell the chemical weapons"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

evilmiera posted:

Apropos of nothing I just had another of my delicious pizzas today but recalled too late that I hadn't taken a picture to share with the thread. I'll do better next time, I promise.

You should share your next pizza in GBS, with your people

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1645159196437151744

they just tweeted it out that they spent their ~counteroffensive~ reserves on bakhmut

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now thinking those docs got leaked in a lost cause, what could've been kind of way

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

they just tweeted it out that they spent their ~counteroffensive~ reserves on bakhmut

USA: Where did all the things we sent you go? Where did they go?

Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTPy9brBdAM

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

sum posted:

This Bloomberg article on how Ukraine should rebuild is mostly what you'd expect, but I had a laugh at the final section moaning that Ukraine is centralizing too much and overspending on defense during a defensive war. You have to wonder how widespread this sentiment is among their foreign backers.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-06/how-to-rebuild-ukraine-root-out-corruption-oligarchs

Wait a minute...are you telling me...THAT WAR IS EXPENSIVE???

THATS BULLSHIT EVERYONE TOLD ME IT WAS PROFITABLE

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Danann posted:

that would also explain how Bakhmut went from looking overwhelmed to still holding on a month later

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The front of a Leopard 1 is protective against 57mm rounds and its sides are protective against 30mm...great.

My OG 1930s T-34 is gonna own its rear end :mods: in World of Tanks

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

that would also explain how Bakhmut went from looking overwhelmed to still holding on a month later

but IT. WASN'T. STRATEGIC!!!!!!!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

My OG 1930s T-34 is gonna own its rear end :mods: in World of Tanks

play War Thunder instead, its 1000000x better

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Wait a minute...are you telling me...THAT WAR IS EXPENSIVE???

THATS BULLSHIT EVERYONE TOLD ME IT WAS PROFITABLE

Depends who you are

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Endman posted:

Depends who you are

Yup. It’s a big club and you sure as poo poo ain’t in it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sorry im like, super conflicted cuz I "like" immigrants but gosh yknow what these immigrants have a "colonialist mindset"

https://twitter.com/rynkrynk/status/1644719090123128832?s=19

"violent immigrants bullying locals to speak their language" is literally a Euro Nazi talking point

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Regarde Aduck posted:

Boris Johnson even said it would be a 'new Dubai'

Thats literally the best place he could think of

a completely captured state of low paid white people to let corporations completely run all over with a government completely owned by the west so its a certified stamp of approval that your corporations will never be subject to future regulation.

hell just drop their currency and make all economic activity take place in usd there

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

CODChimera posted:

play War Thunder instead, its 1000000x better

I guess I really should... TBH only thing kept me around WoT is how they kept introducing new fantasy Soviet tanks like that loving Red Alert two-barrel nonsense

Edit: based on how tier levels work in War Thunder, could a T-34 ever meet a Leopard 1?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's profitable but capital intensive so basically outside the purview of slash and burn neoliberalism.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I guess I really should... TBH only thing kept me around WoT is how they kept introducing new fantasy Soviet tanks like that loving Red Alert two-barrel nonsense

Edit: based on how tier levels work in War Thunder, could a T-34 ever meet a Leopard 1?

yeah if you make it happen

if you make a lineup of Leopard 1 era tanks and just slot a T-34 in there as well you can use it

your highest battle rating vehicle is what decides who you're facing. So it'd be you in the T-34 most of the time but you might just come up against someone else who has decided to put a T-34 in their lineup while you're playing Germany.

You wouldn't normally face a leopard 1 because you generally only see things 1 +/- your battle rating. So a T-34 with a BR of 3.0 doesn't see anything above 4.0. A leopard 1 is 7.3. But yeah, you can force the issue yourself.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Apr 10, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Danann posted:

so no counteroffensive this year? the nine brigades were spent in protecting bakhmut?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

It's ±1 Battle Rating (BR) from the player's highest slotted vehicle. So if they are within 1 BR then yes, frequently. Otherwise yes, but infrequently because the lower BR vehicle would have to be filler in the player's lineup.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the idea was to fight battles of manoeuvre while retreating westward, right? Both had very good 105mm guns, so as long as they had planned turret and hull down positions with good sight lines, and masked/covered routes to fall back on, they could make use of their strengths and offset weaknesses.

That's a doctrinal problem, as you alluded to, because it doesn't take into account - forget all, that's unrealistic - but many situations the vehicles could reasonably be expected to be in, like a meeting engagement, for example. Ideally you want equipment that can be put into common situations, even if unplanned, and make out okay. Since NATO expected to counterattack, and Warsaw Pact anticipated over 70% of engagements would be meeting engagements as their spearheads rapidly moved westward, Leopards and AMX would be in situations where they didn't have preparation to maximize their firepower and minimize their vulnerability.

The MEXAS armour kit was excellent though, and the BRENNUS was well received too, if I remember. I wonder why the Ukrainians weren't given the armour kits.

Introducing a piece of equipment universally, that is specifically designed to only perform well in a specific situation decided by peacetime planning, always seems like a bad idea...

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Sure Jan

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1645216147443441665

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

russians suffered one gorillion casualties at bakhmut

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bedpan posted:

so no counteroffensive this year? the nine brigades were spent in protecting bakhmut?

Depends on if that part is real or not. If it is, probably no big counteroffensive. If not, there may be one.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Very long-shot thought, but did the nuclear threat analysis of the cold war influence non-nuclear military planning?

Not in the obvious ways like "giving the enemy uncontested air superiority is death" which the WW2 German front alone would tell you; but how did the way that nuclear weapons were tested and measured influence the testing and measurement of conventional weapon systems?

Which is to say: nuclear weapons were only fired in anger twice in human history. All other assessments of the "quality" of a nuclear weapon had to be assessed by a number of abstract variables; yield, launch time, accuracy on a target a thousand miles away that you could obviously never actually try to fire against. How did this method of not just developing computer models for physical effects, but assuming these computer models gave a complete picture of your ability to target your opponent, impact the basic way in which militaries assessed how potential conventional wars would go?

Or: did the way in which the insanity by which nuclear war could be reduced to comparative megadeths lead to armies making equally insane assumptions about non-nuclear technologies?

I'm a bit drunk so this is probably not that well formulated...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if the situation was catastrophic in february then how come they're still holding on in bakhmut until now?

also the russians lost the entirety of their SMO army in bakhmut alone trust me that totally makes sense dude.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm sorry, but the NYTimes tweeting out that the counter offensive is off based on leaked intel is too stupid to be true. I call shenanigans on this whole thing.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm putting this down as a reddit thing. Though my second guess is football hooligan clubs, metal bands or other Political groups.

They don't even have that many radios, certainly at the section level, so it's a nom de guerre, used within their own borders.

My simple idea would be CoD and the "online operator culture" born of that, not even Soldier of Fortune "operator culture" but the literal computer games thing

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.

Very long-shot thought, but did the nuclear threat analysis of the cold war influence non-nuclear military planning?

Not in the obvious ways like "giving the enemy uncontested air superiority is death" which the WW2 German front alone would tell you; but how did the way that nuclear weapons were tested and measured influence the testing and measurement of conventional weapon systems?

Which is to say: nuclear weapons were only fired in anger twice in human history. All other assessments of the "quality" of a nuclear weapon had to be assessed by a number of abstract variables; yield, launch time, accuracy on a target a thousand miles away that you could obviously never actually try to fire against. How did this method of not just developing computer models for physical effects, but assuming these computer models gave a complete picture of your ability to target your opponent, impact the basic way in which militaries assessed how potential conventional wars would go?

Or: did the way in which the insanity by which nuclear war could be reduced to comparative megadeths lead to armies making equally insane assumptions about non-nuclear technologies?

I'm a bit drunk so this is probably not that well formulated...

lol bush used albeit small and well propagandized nukes in northern Iraq right?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I can’t keep track of who’s psyoping who anymore

is that..is that the psyop all along

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Maximum "comedy" option: the UKR did expend all of their planned offensive units in Bakhmut, but they're still going to attempt one anyway because they have to have some kind of aggressive action to keep the aid money flowing in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

lol bush used albeit small and well propagandized nukes in northern Iraq right?

No lol, they've only used conventional munitions unless there's some massive conspiracy theory no one told me about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
thought there was a nuclear component to bunker busters