Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am stunned at akechi's place and outraged at ryuji's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*clears throat*

None of the female characters in Persona 5 were particularly memorable or interesting.

Then again most of the male characters weren't that interesting either.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

*clears throat*

None of the female characters in Persona 5 were particularly memorable or interesting.

The Phantom Thieves are a bland set of companions and P5 is only potentially saved by the far more interesting Confidants?

Yes I agree.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Atlus also did their popularity poll for P4 (they already did P5 and P3 earlier this year).

Expected results even if Kanji is too low.

I think I disagree with every single placement on this poll. Rise is at the very bottom of the IT for me, Yu isn't a character so he isn't to be ranked, and I'd put Yukiko, Chie, and Yosuke at Top 3.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sapozhnik posted:

*clears throat*

*Ahem*

Wrong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

I think I disagree with every single placement on this poll. Rise is at the very bottom of the IT for me, Yu isn't a character so he isn't to be ranked, and I'd put Yukiko, Chie, and Yosuke at Top 3.

We already knew you had bad opinions

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sapozhnik posted:

*clears throat*

Ann rules I’ll fight you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also the Reddit thread on this poll mentioned a different Atlus poll which just ended
https://m.weibo.cn/status/4888569262380710

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hosed up, why would you share that

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the text is in chinese, maybe the poll was china-only

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Any poll with the silent protag in first is bad

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It does feel a lot like the 'Obama awarding medal to Obama' meme.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked how they handled the MC personalities on the P4/P4G and P5 anime though. I just wish they had actual VA other than summoning persona.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Joker has more personality than your typical silent protag imo. Still not sure I'd rank him first

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure if this is Japan only votes but from following manga popularity votes, Japan literally has the worst taste to this poo poo. The mute mcs over some of the best characters in jrpgs?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Design and being literally the first character you see probably helped boost the MCs to first.

Like those manga popularity polls that have their titular character coming in first or real high most of the time. Most people just don't put much thought into who they vote for.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Design and being literally the first character you see probably helped boost the MCs to first.

Like those manga popularity polls that have their titular character coming in first or real high most of the time. Most people just don't put much thought into who they vote for.

:same:

I do agree that Joker's character design and outfits are v good though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Joker at least has a bit of personality, like that he's a placid dork in real life but a total showboat in the Metaverse. Also the scene where Ann tells him about Kamoshida at the diner and he's balling his fists under the table sells him quite a lot.

Like he's still a silent protagonist, but there is some personality there beyond "kinda quiet, nice, good listener."

P3 (male) and P4 protagonists suck, though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Not saying you're wrong but I am saying that I have heard the exact same (or, at least, very similar) things said about the P4 protagonist. "You can tell by his dialogue options that he has a personality..."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh no, I agree with that; they all have implied personalities. It's just that those two are lovely dudes while Joker and the female P3 protagonist are cool.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I can't believe Ryuji is so low. I also hated Futaba but I'd agree that Makoto was one of my favorite teammates.

Maybe it wasn't a choice but if it was I really liked Maruki.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The male P3 mc is great

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Whether the P3 female protag is good or not is a philosophical question. If there is a possible world in which someone is a pedophile, can they be said to be a good person?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P2's protag takes the "silent protagonist" trope and actually gives plot/character reasons for it, so I think that's at least kinda cool.

also I like how the P1 protag is characterized like "yeah everyone kinda thought you were just some guy but you've really pulled yourself together in a crisis" all without having to be the wild card.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

goethe.cx posted:

Whether the P3 female protag is good or not is a philosophical question. If there is a possible world in which someone is a pedophile, can they be said to be a good person?

If we're gonna count everything a protagonist can be made to do, no one is a good person. You could theoretically make the P4 protagonist blow off any dungeon and spend all day fishing while Nanako is slowly dying, or, uh, make Joker cheat on his girlfriend with Ohya, but no rational person would do those, either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With popularity polls there are always a significant number of people who just vote for "the main character" no matter who that is. It's usually odd if the main character isn't in either first or second place and usually second place only shows up when there's a Vegeta-level "this dude is absurdly popular" thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
hot take, I like the p5 characters

I know, it's hard to believe I"m the only one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can see preferring the themes and development of the SEES crew, or the dynamic of the Investigation Team, but the Phantom Thieves have the best characters and it's not even close.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

If we're counting Royal, Akechi should be number one and it shouldn't even be close.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I am slightly surprised Yoshizawa made it all the way to 3rd, but I guess looking at the P4 and P5 polls, 'girl who's younger than the protagonist' seems to score consistently well. Naoto and Rise got top 3, and Yoshizawa and Futaba only lost to Makoto and Joker.

On the 'older girl' side, both Mitsuru and Makoto got 2nd, just... well, Haru.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neeksy posted:

P2's protag takes the "silent protagonist" trope and actually gives plot/character reasons for it, so I think that's at least kinda cool.

It's still a shame that Maya goes from IS to EP. Her personality in the former is fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's still a shame that Maya goes from IS to EP. Her personality in the former is fun.

She isn't even a good or fun or sassy silent protagonist in the sequel. They just make her look scared all the time while having no dialogue choices of note ever.

One of several reasons why IS is the superior game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 10, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How can people say that P4 MC doesnt have a persona? At most he's canonically a super duper cool big brother figure to Nanako and people love big brothers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

How can people say that P4 MC doesnt have a persona? At most he's canonically a super duper cool big brother figure to Nanako and people love big brothers.

Hell, the last page has people gushing about him just wordlessly walking out on one of the rank 10 confessions.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He even has consistent response (options). "You should calm down" and "you should leave them be.".

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Atlus also did their popularity poll for P4 (they already did P5 and P3 earlier this year).

Expected results even if Kanji is too low.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Other polls for comparison, my only real surprise is that Akechi wasn't higher.

So that's Silent Protagonist in first, badass girl in second (yes I know there's a definite trans reading for Naoto; not the point here), and blankish slate trying to find themselves after being told who they should be by other people in third.

I'd be stretching to say it's female character to identify with in fourth - but both Female Protagonist and the gamer girl (I'm aware Futaba's more than that) - Yukio might qualify? And should I compare the random acts of violence of Chie and Akechi? Also the starting party bro characters are almost last.

And if the listings clarify anything for me it's how there's no one aggressively bad in P5R; maybe Morgana - but they are far more obnoxious in vanilla.

Also P4G is protag first then all the girls before all the boys. P5R forgets Haru exists and has Akechi ahead of Ann, and P3P dislikes Fuuka and has Koromaru ahead of Yukari. This is all thirsty male nerds voting for waifus isn't it?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yosuke deserves to be dead last in every poll, gently caress him

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The P4G poll is honestly unsurprising. Yosuke and Teddie are very polarizing so only Kanji stood a chance of the non-MC guys, and even then I think the only one he could have beaten is Chie. Rise has her haters but she hits a popular demographic despite what people think, and it's not always thirst.

Similarly, P3 is about as expected as you can get. The only surprise might be Koromaru going above Yukari, but Yukari is also divisive in her own right. If FeMC was around as long as MaleMC she would probably take 1st, but there are enough FES purists that I'm not surprised that he is the more popular lead. Fuuka is just not an engaging character, I'm afraid so her being so low is not a surprise.

P5's probably the only curveball for me. I expected Yoshizawa to be lower, Akechi to be higher, maybe even Makoto lower. I think Ryuji doesn't deserve 9th, but considering general popularity and the roughness of the Okumura arc, I think realistically he could only have gone up above Morgana. He's not beating any of the girls, and I don't think he beats Yusuke. Haru is also not a surprising last place, she got done really dirty in vanilla. You're probably underestimating Akechi's popularity, he's super popular and I honestly expected him to be 3rd, if not 2nd.

Like if this was a 'sex appeal' vote Ann would be in the top 3 easy.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 10, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

So that's Silent Protagonist in first, badass girl in second (yes I know there's a definite trans reading for Naoto; not the point here), and blankish slate trying to find themselves after being told who they should be by other people in third.

I'd be stretching to say it's female character to identify with in fourth - but both Female Protagonist and the gamer girl (I'm aware Futaba's more than that) - Yukio might qualify? And should I compare the random acts of violence of Chie and Akechi? Also the starting party bro characters are almost last.

And if the listings clarify anything for me it's how there's no one aggressively bad in P5R; maybe Morgana - but they are far more obnoxious in vanilla.

Also P4G is protag first then all the girls before all the boys. P5R forgets Haru exists and has Akechi ahead of Ann, and P3P dislikes Fuuka and has Koromaru ahead of Yukari. This is all thirsty male nerds voting for waifus isn't it?

Interesting observations, although I think a better summary of Aigis and Rise is "obviously madly in love with the PC and sort of your designated girlfriend." I'm sure that helped their votes. I know nothing of Kasumi or if she fits this pattern, though.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 10, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get why Makoto is second, but I have soured so hard on that character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's a shame since Ryuji is ranked lower than I expected since his entire SL was pretty good along with the dateless events being cute :3: