Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
teams should get punished for tanking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think it is going to be a huge fine this time around at minimum since the Mavs and Cuban in particular have been stepping over the line for years.

Just my guess.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This kind of thing happens every now and then and the end result is that the team gets fined and gets a stern talking to. It looks like it happened to the nets earlier this season: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35259544/nets-fined-25k-sitting-eight-players-vs-pacers

the biggest one i can remember was the spurs getting fined $250k in 2012 for sitting duncan, parker, manu, and danny green in a nationally televised game against the lebron heat https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8695865/nba-fines-san-antonio-spurs-250000-sitting-players

e: it will probably be a bigger fine than it would be for another team because cuban is an rear end in a top hat

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

This kind of thing happens every now and then and the end result is that the team gets fined and gets a stern talking to. It looks like it happened to the nets earlier this season: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35259544/nets-fined-25k-sitting-eight-players-vs-pacers

the biggest one i can remember was the spurs getting fined $250k in 2012 for sitting duncan, parker, manu, and danny green in a nationally televised game against the lebron heat https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8695865/nba-fines-san-antonio-spurs-250000-sitting-players

e: it will probably be a bigger fine than it would be for another team because cuban is an rear end in a top hat

Cuban was previously fined $600,000 for his statements about tanking in 2018. I am thinking they might go for seven figgies this time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/sports/basketball/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-fined.html

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Eh, it's irrelevant unless they lose a draft pick for it. If you let Cuban buy a lottery ticket for a couple mil that gives them a small chance at Wemby, he'd take it in a heartbeat.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
he’s never going to be able to keep paying for Twitter blue and then what will happen to his followers?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Bulls were also trying to lose that game and failed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My favorite thing about the bulls Mavs game , is that with a million guys sitting out and nothing but bench play, the bulls covered the spread by a half a point. How the gently caress is Vegas so accurate

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

all bench players means the refs have a lot more room to work

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

After tomorrow I wanna collate everyone's standings from earlier in the year and see who did the best and the worst

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

After tomorrow I wanna collate everyone's standings from earlier in the year and see who did the best and the worst

Hold on, I have a few posts to delete

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

At least I was correct about the Raptors being insanely overrated

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Yossarian-22 posted:

had to go find mine

kingcobweb posted:

Mine:

East:
76ers
Bucks
Bulls

quote:

cavs
Celtics
Hawks
Heat
Raptors

Missing:

Hornets
Knicks
Magic
Nets
Pacers
Pistons
Wizards

---

West:

Clippers
Grizzlies
Mavericks
Nuggets
Pelicans
Suns
Timberwolves
Warriors

Missing:

Jazz
Kings
Lakers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Trailblazers

Not including the Nets in my East teams making the playoffs was an unintentional hot take, but now looking back I can justify it. I think they lose in the play-in.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I had the clips grizz and twolves in my top 3 lol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
i can't find it anywhere but i definitely made a preseason playoff bracket that had bucks over nuggets in the finals

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Cam Thomas hanging 46 rules. The last day statlines are always so good. Mac McClung getting 20.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Cam Thomas hanging 46 rules. The last day statlines are always so good. Mac McClung getting 20.

Big day for Celtics white guys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Philadelphia ends with a Better record than Denver I think

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gobert punched teammate

god drat

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I’m starting to thinn the wolves won’t win the west

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I hope Nikola Jokic and the Denver Nuggets do well in the NBA Playoffs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's put up or shut up time for Postseason Jokic

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

that’s a funny way of saying go Kings

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

if all the top seeds advance, the second round of the east is going to be crazy.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

The Pussy Boss posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm rooting for the Nets, ftw.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

gobert punched teammate

god drat

lol what the gently caress did slomo do? also was the punch like that one in raging bull? it would rule if it was

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Azathoth posted:

lol what the gently caress did slomo do? also was the punch like that one in raging bull? it would rule if it was

https://twitter.com/JenHale504/status/1645164180318584832

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://twitter.com/PelsFilmRoom/status/1645170947337650177

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

preview of meltdown may???

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i love being a Minnesota sports fan, it rules

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Azathoth posted:

i love being a Minnesota sports fan, it rules

It's like having a lovely partner. You love them, and sometimes they seem like they're doing OK. But then they get drunk and crap the bed, or forget to feed your pet while you're away, and you realize that it's just always going to be a trash fire.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Here were my standings compared to how they actually finished

East:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers (+3)
2. Boston Celtics
3. Brooklyn Nets (+3)
4. Milwaukee Bucks (-3)
5. Philadelphia 76ers (-2)
6. Atlanta Hawks (+2)
7. Toronto Raptors (+2)
8. Miami Heat (-1)
9. Chicago Bulls (+1)
10. Washington Wizards (+2)
11. Detroit Pistons (+4)
12. New York Knicks (-7!!!!!!)
13. Orlando Magic
14. Charlotte Hornets
15. Indiana Pacers (-4)

West:
1. Denver Nuggets
2. Phoenix Suns (+2)
3. LA Clippers (+2)
4. Memphis Grizzlies (-2)
5. Golden State Warriors (+1)
6. Minnesota Timberwolves (+2)
7. Dallas Mavericks (+4)
8. New Orleans Pelicans (+1)
9. LA Lakers (-2)
10. Portland Trailblazers (+3)
11. Sacramento Kings (-8!!!!!!)
12. Houston Rockets (+2)
13. OKC Thunder (-3)
14. Utah Jazz (-2)
15. San Antonio Spurs

So I nailed 5 teams and I did worse than +3/-3 for 5 teams. Kings and Knicks were insane. My excuse for the Pistons is that my pick for comeback player of the year (Cade Cunningham) got injured at the very beginning and was out for the season. I think him paired with Bojan Bogdanovic and Jaden Ivey could have been interesting

I nailed rookie of the year (Paolo) and didn't come close on any of the other awards

My mean deviation was 2.27 and my median was 2. I really don't understand how I had the Rockets ahead of the Thunder except I guess I thought Jabari Smith would make more of an impact. Can't believe I had the Pistons ahead of the Knicks. Brunson and Quickley were really that good

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 10, 2023

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

had to go find mine

The Nets didn't fall to the playin. They will play Philly in the first round

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bill Simmons is going for embiid mvp

I think that probably settles it

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

the four players i would rather build a team around all already have championship rings and mvp honors: g.antetokounmpo, l.james, k.durant, and w.s.curry II

durant is putting two NBA teams into the playoffs this year, so i would personally say he is more valuable, but j.embiid is the best player yet to be awarded an MVP.

embiid's defense is way better than n.jokic. let us pretend for the moment that jokic plays center. there are many centers in this league i like, that i think are underrated: d.sabonis, l.markkanen, s.adams, j.valancuinas, r.williams III, k.looney. but embiid is better than all of them either side of the court.

d.booker and j.tatum don't get MVP consideration anymore because their teams have good centers and great guards. c.paul and j.brown don't necessarily outshine their primary scoring forward, but it's more obvious it's a team effort.

the sixers have no depth, embiid is the best player yet to win it, therefore embiid is this year MVP. it's his turn.

TDepressionEarl fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 10, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DeathbyCeltics/status/1645065899529912320?cxt=HHwWgIC22YeuudQtAAAA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

teams should get punished for tanking

theyre going to kill cuban for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA