Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I think Americans just don't value buffoonery anymore so they don't get how funny it is for a dog to have a big head. Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah but there’s no way that a little dog loving a big dog would ever not be funny.

Less transgressive in a world where there are a lot more untended animals out in the streets.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like how often dogs play into ancient humor

Also farts

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think Americans just don't value buffoonery anymore so they don't get how funny it is for a dog to have a big head. Hahahaha
Many people are dour puritans at heart, one way or another.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine a young woman farting in her husband’s lap, 4000 years ago on the banks of the river Euphrates

I made that one up, completely original

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I visited the Getty Villa in Los Angeles a little while back and was struck by one display of ancient Greek drinking vessels - most of which were decorated with satyrs and nymphs and boners and naked ladies and loving. A typical example: https://www.getty.edu/art/collection/object/103TSH

quote:

Attic Red-Figure Kylix
about 510 B.C.
Phintias

Tondo: a crouching satyr with an erect phallus, long hair and a bushy beard holds two drinking vessels (kantharoi). He looks back over his shoulder. An inscription, Phintias painted [it], surrounds the figure.

Exterior, A: a nude youth crouches and masturbates while holding the foot of a calyx krater before an older woman. She leans back, also holding the base of the krater, and cradling it against her outstretched right arm. Her hair is tied up in a cloth, an earring is evident in her left ear, and the painter has rendered fleshy folds on her belly and under her chin.

Exterior B: two similar figures to those on side A, again engaged in sexual activity. A nude youth, this time with traces of hair on his cheeks, reclines while a nude woman grasps his penis with her right hand. She is in a crouched position over his legs, and though comparable in physical appearance to the woman on side A, does not wear a head cloth or earring. At the top, an inscription, E [...] A I E ? O, perhaps uttered by the youth (whose lips are parted and who gestures with his right hand).
an entire room full of these things, just the 500 BCE equivalent of tacky party bullshit you'd buy today at Spencer's Gifts. Can't wait to have the guys over for this month's symposium, got a whole set of new Naughty Satyr drinking cups ordered in from Corinth to show off, everyone will just loving die laughing. We have more in common with our ancient ancestors than we think sometimes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I disagree that humor would be that much different. Funny is still funny. We’re still the same animals we were. Marines draw dicks on everything in 2023 much like Roman soldiers and those who came before them.

I think pieces like that and animal graves etc. do a great deal to demonstrate we’re not really different creatures than we were before. Yes, we have millennia of technological advances based up the collective knowledge of the past. We’re still just people.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

different kinds of humor age differently. the ancient equivalent of "how about that airline food?" or monica lewinsky jokes or whatever will always come across imperfectly. hell, the examples i picked are extremely 90s and don't have the same vibe now that they did 25 years ago.

blowjob party cups and funny-looking dogs are the kinds of thing that transcend time and place

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Do we get many nutshots from ancient greece?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Achilles, crumpled in agony: I told you fuckers, that's not the spot!

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Jazerus posted:

different kinds of humor age differently. the ancient equivalent of "how about that airline food?" or monica lewinsky jokes or whatever will always come across imperfectly. hell, the examples i picked are extremely 90s and don't have the same vibe now that they did 25 years ago.

blowjob party cups and funny-looking dogs are the kinds of thing that transcend time and place

Yeah, some things come across really well, but we have examples of ancient jokes we don't understand. Some of Aristophenes's jokes are a total mystery to us, since we are lacking their context. Going even further back, there are Sumerian proverbs that probably were intended to be funny, but they can be very hard to understand. The tricky part about Sumerian proverbs and humor is that some of them are clearly intended to be humorous, but not all of them were, and we don't really know how to tell them apart. Or if the Sumerians would have made that distinction in the same way we do.

There's one that makes the rounds on the internet periodically that seems to be a joke, that says "A dog walked into a tavern and said, "I can't see a thing. I'll open this one." This might be talking about prostitution, since taverns were often also brothels, but we don't really know. There are some other mysterious dog-related jokes.

"The dog wags his tongue at a millstone, and says to his companion: "Let me clothe you in the lid of a measuring bowl!""

"A dog climbed up onto the roof."

There are also Sumerian fart jokes, like "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial: a young woman did not fart in her husband's embrace." They also liked penis/urine jokes, but these can also be obscure, like "The fox, having urinated into the sea, said: "The depths of the sea are my urine!"" Another one says "A donkey beating its penis against its belly" and nothing else.

There are also some Sumerian proverbs that you could post on boomer facebook without a problem: "For his pleasure he got married. On his thinking it over he got divorced."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I can understand the fox and the donkey one but they're not funny. I may just be inured to the prospect of animals beating off due to reading (insert your least favorite social media site here) though.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mr. Nice! posted:

I disagree that humor would be that much different. Funny is still funny. We’re still the same animals we were. Marines draw dicks on everything in 2023 much like Roman soldiers and those who came before them.

I think pieces like that and animal graves etc. do a great deal to demonstrate we’re not really different creatures than we were before. Yes, we have millennia of technological advances based up the collective knowledge of the past. We’re still just people.

Marines don't generally believe that the drawing of dicks provides a genuine magical effect. People in the past were people, yes, but they were very foreign people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

Marines don't generally believe that the drawing of dicks provides a genuine magical effect. People in the past were people, yes, but they were very foreign people.
I suspect that the ancient Romans did not ascribe magical powers to every random dick doodle either

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to know where you picked up the idea that the Romans thought drawing dicks had a magic effect.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CrypticFox posted:

Another one says "A donkey beating its penis against its belly" and nothing else.

To work on something to no benefit like a male donkey restricted by a fence from his Jenny.

Nanni has been trying to recover his money from Ea-Nasir like a Donkey beating his penis on his belly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Scarodactyl posted:

Do we get many nutshots from ancient greece?

Archaeologists have found sling bullets inscribed with "I hope this hits you in the dick"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I want to know where you picked up the idea that the Romans thought drawing dicks had a magic effect.
I think there were those priapus statues which were probably good luck charms, but I assume this stuff was analogous to the Japanese omamoris you can buy at ten billion little shrines and temples for about 1000 yen. They were just made of pottery or stoneware so a number of them survived.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nessus posted:

I think there were those priapus statues which were probably good luck charms, but I assume this stuff was analogous to the Japanese omamoris you can buy at ten billion little shrines and temples for about 1000 yen. They were just made of pottery or stoneware so a number of them survived.

Ya I mean that's sort of what I'm getting at. There are plenty of symbols where we know they thought "this symbol is good luck" but they didn't necessarily believe "this is literally magic"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CrypticFox posted:

"The fox, having urinated into the sea, said: "The depths of the sea are my urine!"

Born on third and thinks he hit a triple.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You have to be careful not to over-sell that commonality. An expression I picked up in grad school puts it well: the past is a foreign land.

Context matters a lot for understanding meaning. There are aspects of humor between cultures in the world today that don’t translate well. Now imagine it with the distance of centuries and key bits of cultural context that have been lost.

Some things have context that we get because we share the same bodies. Farting, loving, etc. But it’s hard to say what the cultural weights put on them is. Imagine trying to explain an edgy 90s schoolyard gay joke to an ancient Persian, for example. He’s going to understand that two men can gently caress but isn’t going to have the cultural context to understand why a bunch of Americans in 1993 find it simultaneously hilarious, provocative, and insulting of levied against someone else.

Or how about this one: imagine explaining rickrolling to put hypothetical ancient Persian visitor. Or surrealist comedy. Or the bits of Larry the Cable Guy that require you having a grasp of early 21st century American class and regional dynamics.

People in the past aren’t weird space aliens but you also have to be careful not to go too far with “they were just like us.”

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's a lot of this that I think will not ever be truly known. We're asking ourselves "how literally different was their belief about magic/luck/symbols than ours" and its the sort of thing that 1) not even everyone alive today has the same beliefs and 2) we'd only be able to figure it out by having a long sit down conversation with somebody. Who in this case has been dead for centuries. I have coworkers who are very sincere in their belief in stuff like astrology, and I have coworkers who think its just silly fun, and I have others who think its absolute nonsense. I know people who have an ironic, humorous engagement with astrology that only becomes obvious from knowing them personally.

So I think that in the case of "how literally did ancient romans think x good luck symbol actually made things better" we won't ever know, and its probable that there was a spread of people who thought very sincerely that these things were magical and people who thought it couldn't hurt and people who just rolled their eyes.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Publius Claudius Pulcher didn't believe in magic and look what that got him. You really shouldn't gently caress around with sacred chicken. :colbert:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Salish Wool Dog is definitely my favourite. A sheep dog in the sense of "kept like sheep for wool". It's a huge shame they're extinct.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine a young woman farting in her husband’s lap, 4000 years ago on the banks of the river Euphrates

I made that one up, completely original

Also my favourite Sumerian proverb.

IIRC the character for "fart" is the same as the one for "poop", and the whole "lap" thing is even more suggestive than it sounds in English.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also my favourite Sumerian proverb.

IIRC the character for "fart" is the same as the one for "poop", and the whole "lap" thing is even more suggestive than it sounds in English.

It's a sex joke. Farting during sex is funny, unless you're the one having sex.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Nice! posted:

It really depends on the humor. There are some things that are universal, like farts. But a lot of humor is very cultural and doesn't translate well--even today, go watch a Japanese comedy show and it's mostly mystifying, not funny. We have preserved ancient jokes and some of them work, but a lot are just confusing.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Because in some cases, they did. Dicks had the power to create life so could be a sort of magical ward, you often find them at intersections to protect people from the conflict of the two road spirits crossing. Dicks just scratched into a wall may have been this or may have been guys scratching a dick into a wall, it's hard to say.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Grand Fromage posted:

go watch a Japanese comedy show and it's mostly mystifying, not funny.

uh

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

One of my strongest memories of my grandfather is him howling, tears down his face laughing, just completely losing it, over a Ziggy strip. I still have no idea how it was funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

One of my strongest memories of my grandfather is him howling, tears down his face laughing, just completely losing it, over a Ziggy strip. I still have no idea how it was funny.

Iykyk

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

It really depends on the humor. There are some things that are universal, like farts. But a lot of humor is very cultural and doesn't translate well--even today, go watch a Japanese comedy show and it's mostly mystifying, not funny. We have preserved ancient jokes and some of them work, but a lot are just confusing.
Sumerian manzai act is a "Man"... with a "Hook"!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

See also: the death of the American comedy movie when international box office became alot more important

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some of the Roman jokes translate a bit better

quote:

Two idiots are going on a road trip. Partway through the journey, one of them starts feeling the call of nature, and steps off the road to relieve himself. Unfortunately, it took him longer than expected to finish his business, so by the time he gets back on the road, his friend is already way out of sight

He keeps walking, and soon spots some writing on a milestone ahead. Reading it, he finds a message his friend left. It says 'Hurry up so you can catch up to me'.

Immediately, he pulls out his chalk, and writes 'Can't you just wait up instead?'

The joke here being 'ha ha, this is still ancient rome and we haven't invented texting'.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rochallor posted:

Born on third and thinks he hit a triple.

There's other jokes about the fox suggesting he is a classic stock character, of a rather familiar archetype. I think earlier itt those proverbs were discussed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Grand Fromage posted:

go watch a Japanese comedy show and it's mostly mystifying

i'd expect that it would be one hundred percent mystifying, seeing as i don't speak japanese

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tulip posted:

Pobody's Nerfect

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Koramei posted:

For a long time, yes. Even chariots were deep into the bronze age in most places. True cavalry shows up before stirrups but by no means immediately.

Not disagreeing, but 'until the end of the bronze age' leaves a lot of centuries before the stirrup comes along.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seriously. Set aside 17 hours for a variety show from Japan or Korea and see how many of the jokes land (I am presuming you are not Japanese or Korean here) and how much of it is just people laughing at stuff that makes zero sense to you. It's a good example of how culturally linked humor is.

I tried watching them for language practice when living over there and it was my first real experience with the idea.

And the stuff that does work is interesting, like slapstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018