Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lex Neville posted:

Rode my longest ride to date yesterday (:toot:) as dress rehearsal for the Amstel Gold sportive next week. Went smoother than I could have hoped for. I spent ages deciding what to wear but I'm happy I chose the warmer outfit, will probably do so next week as well. I've also had some stomach issues on the bike in recent weeks so I decided to try sticking to liquids, drinking all my carbs and nutrients in 750 ml of water per hour. It went much better than expected, no issues whatsoever. Expensive, and therefore certainly not something I want to do regularly, but worth it for next week I think. First time riding with an extra bottle in a jersey pocket too. For some reason I expected that to be more finicky than it was. Heading out now, but I'll post some pictures later :)

Awesome ride, well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jonny Quest posted:

While I'm not keen on perpetuating anything with micro-USB, would it be worth spending the extra $$$ for the x40s with USB-C versus the x30s on sale?

I figure the edge 530 is 4 years old at this point. If I'm looking at buying a new computer, might as well get the one that will be supported for the next 4 years.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

The biggest mountains in Estonia :classiclol:
Right next to the port in Tallinn, for that great first impression.

Update: finally consistently above zero celsius, but a while yet for these mountains to melt.

Lex Neville posted:

Rode my longest ride to date yesterday (:toot:) as dress rehearsal for the Amstel Gold sportive next week. Went smoother than I could have hoped for. I spent ages deciding what to wear but I'm happy I chose the warmer outfit, will probably do so next week as well. I've also had some stomach issues on the bike in recent weeks so I decided to try sticking to liquids, drinking all my carbs and nutrients in 750 ml of water per hour. It went much better than expected, no issues whatsoever. Expensive, and therefore certainly not something I want to do regularly, but worth it for next week I think. First time riding with an extra bottle in a jersey pocket too. For some reason I expected that to be more finicky than it was. Heading out now, but I'll post some pictures later :)

Phwoar! Good ride, that.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

Big ride! Which was it?

And good luck for Amstel

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, after over three years of ownership (bought in August 2019), nearly continuous riding since then, and over 16,000 recorded miles (it's not a stretch to say there's 17,000 miles on it once you factor in what wasn't), my bike needs a new rear wheel:

It's hosed, but you know, while I'm annoyed, I can't be too upset. When you put that much mileage on it and deal with Wisconsin winters (including salt), it's gonna happen. Also not helping this year was there was about 5-6 studs in a row on the non-chain side inner line of them of my rear falling out that basically made a flat spot, so at low speeds, it caused it to "jerk" to the side. That tire was toast anyway.

Yes I need to clean it more in the future. Lessons learned as well.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Skarsnik posted:

Lol at 18mph being a social ride pace, come on..
This is on a winter bike mudguards etc totally social pace.
https://strava.app.link/jsKgXugnRyb
BTW I am 61.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lex Neville posted:

You’re drinking 750ml per hour? Seems a lot of fluid.

If that’s correct, for long rides in not roasting hot conditions I’d recommend using a “megabottle” instead, with sugar for the entire ride dissolved in a single bottle. This may require a kettle to dissolve the sugar initially.

One bottle for sips of fuel, 2nd bottle of plain water for washing it down. Worked great for the tour of Flanders sportive for me. 500g of sugar + food stops.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7I_kCTUNVVU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the encouragement.

I guess I've just gotten used to riding solo. My metric century last year had me averaging 15.3 MPH over 65.1 miles, and I was moderately laden for a road ride with an extra kit (had to go from cold to warm weather), a bunch of water, and a lot of food. Last week when my wife came out, I tried drafting behind her, but it was only her in front of me, and she was zooming along on the electric murderbike at 18 MPH while I was working my butt off trying to keep up. Several miles of that was exhausting. A couple scores of that stuff would kill me.

I'm going to start ramping up my distance rides now that it's warmer. Today, I'm getting one last ride on the trail that will be closing next week. Well, the whole trail isn't closing, but just one section that connects it to many other trails, which effectively closes it for my purposes.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mikemelbrooks posted:

This is on a winter bike mudguards etc totally social pace.
https://strava.app.link/jsKgXugnRyb
BTW I am 61.

Your link didn't really work and just sent me to your strava profile

I found one ride outside of zwift this year you averaged 18mph so good job cherry picking a ride to badly make a point I guess

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Skarsnik posted:

Your link didn't really work and just sent me to your strava profile

I found one ride outside of zwift this year you averaged 18mph so good job cherry picking a ride to badly make a point I guess

Distance
60.2 mi
Time
3:20:30
Elevation
2,090 ft
Calories

For the right group, 18mph can totally be social pace, especially on a flatter route. For a more beginner group maybe not so much and they would be closer to 15mph.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yes, for the right group of pretty strong riders

I'm not suggesting that it's not possible, just that to suggest it is in any way representative of your average LBS or club ride is just fantasy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Lol at 18mph being a social ride pace, come on..
For a road ride that sounds about right tbh?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
showing up for the 18 mph social ride

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks LAC, Angryhead, Heliosicle!

@Heliosicle, this was an unsupported ride, just something I put together on Komoot. Mostly on and around the Veluwe

@wooger, yes, I drink 750 ml an hour, I make a point to - or rather, the bottle stuck in my jersey pocket was 550 ml, so technically slightly less, but the other two are 750 ml. I need a relatively large amount of fluids anyway, but I'd also rather have an extra nature break than have cramps from a lack of electrolytes. This works for me, so I'll stick to this for now, but thanks for your suggestion :)

I'm not the best at taking photos when out riding but here are a few:

evil_bunnY posted:

For a road ride that sounds about right tbh?

It does to me too, but it's flat where I live. We're probably all used to wildly different elevation profiles

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 9, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I rode my bike today. My right nipple still keeps getting chafed while my left nipple is fine. what a load of poo poo

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I rode my bike today. My right nipple still keeps getting chafed while my left nipple is fine. what a load of poo poo

I got an undershirt for when I wear my one pair of bibs. I've given it two spins, and it is doing the trick.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

two left nipples win again :smug:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I rode bikes today. 80ish mi, about half dirt. The big slicks have been nice.

Thinking about taking off the fenders but it'll probably snow if i do and yesterday they were useful on some muddy roads. I bet my average speed would be higher without them though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2023

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

Yes, for the right group of pretty strong riders

I'm not suggesting that it's not possible, just that to suggest it is in any way representative of your average LBS or club ride is just fantasy

It's not fantasy. Here's another example.

The same non-flat loop with 50ft of climb per mile that I posted earlier. 20mph at 121W. That's 1.87w/kg to maintain 20mph. At 18mph that would have been maybe 100-105W. On a flat road that would have been 95-100W.

For reference a 1.86w/kg FTP is the virtual bottom of the Andy Coggan Power Chart. It represents the purely untrained individual.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 10, 2023

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

I rode bikes today. 80ish mi, about half dirt. The big slicks have been nice.

Thinking about taking off the fenders but it'll probably snow if i do and yesterday they were useful on some muddy roads. I bet my average speed would be higher without them though.

Average speed or get out.

AS: 18.6

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Really enjoying this new bar tape! It is "PRO Sport Control" bar tape and is really comfortable and plush, especially compared to the paper thin stuff I had on before. Really is much nicer in the drops now. Also Di2 is nice I suppose.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:swoon:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

My brain is calibrated like this:
18mph is social road ride territory
21mph is upper B ride pace
22+ is venturing into A ride pace
24+ is srs bsns

Say your RPE at 17mph for 24mi is 7 out of 10. Your RPE at 18mph in a group will probably be around 5/10.

I'm very social in my group riding, and usually average between 15 and 16mph.

18mph is quite fast for a social pace, in my opinion, unless it's a very flat ride with a very relatively skilled group.

My local 'all-comers welcome' club defines pace categories (on flat ground) as:
Easy: Under 10 mph       
Leisurely: 10-12 mph
Steady: 12-14 mph
Moderate: 14-16 mph
Brisk: 16-18 mph
Vigorous: 18- 20 mph
Strenuous: 20-22 mph
Super Strenuous: 22+ mph

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

Nice ride!
I've been playing with all-liquid carbs. I initially tried Maurtan, which worked well but is way spendier than I can justify.
Recently I've been using a nuun tablet with caffeine, plus 80g of table sugar. It's fantastic, the same carb loading as the name brand stuff, and far cheaper.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah Maurten is what I too used last weekend and will be using om Saturday, but as you say it's way too expensive to do more than maybe a few times a year

I'd heard of nuun before but I think it wasn't (easily) available to me, or the variant I had in mind wasn't, but I'll make sure to check it out again. Thanks!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's not fantasy. Here's another example.

The same non-flat loop with 50ft of climb per mile that I posted earlier. 20mph at 121W. That's 1.87w/kg to maintain 20mph. At 18mph that would have been maybe 100-105W. On a flat road that would have been 95-100W.

For reference a 1.86w/kg FTP is the virtual bottom of the Andy Coggan Power Chart. It represents the purely untrained individual.

OK fine, except this beep boop I am cycling robot thing doesn't match up with actual real life

The club I ride with has our 'steady' rides at 15/16mph. The 'social' group is closer to 14mph. This is a club with everyone from national champs and world record holders in it to teenagers and 80yr olds

The three closest clubs to me all in the region of 14/15/16mph for their social rides

Ok, but Wales is pretty hilly, lets have a look at a handful of Cambridge Clubs (flat af):

Cambridge Cycing Club - 14/15/16mph
HIBC - 15-16mph
CUCC - 25kmph

(Not cherry picked, literally just first google results)

Hmm maybe the UK is just weird, lets have a look at California: https://www.cyclecalifornia.com/bike-clubs.html

ACTC - 'Moderate' - 14-16mph
Benicia BCC - 10-12mph
Davis Bike Club - 12-16mph
Different Spokes SF - 8-12mph
Kern Wheelmen - 15-17mph
Los Gatos Bicycle Racing Club - 15mph (on the flats)
Santa Cruz County CC - 12-14mph
San Fernando valley BC - 13-17mph

Again, not cherry picked just a random few from each bit that listed their pace

Ok but again California has hills, lets have a look at kansas:

Blue River BC - 15mph
Lawrence BC - 12-14mph

Again first 2 I found on google

This post is getting really boring, but to drag this back to the original point:

tarlibone posted:

That's just plain humbling. I didn't think I was a great cyclist or anything, but that is the first time I've felt just plain old.

Please do not compare yourself to the skeleton with the insane w/kg riding the best equipment money can buy - Tobin is not an average rider

tarlibone posted:

Last week when my wife came out, I tried drafting behind her, but it was only her in front of me, and she was zooming along on the electric murderbike at 18 MPH while I was working my butt off trying to keep up. Several miles of that was exhausting. A couple scores of that stuff would kill me.

This is entirely normal

Thank you for coming to my TED talk/Nice meltdown etc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe one other factor is how efficient your group ride drafting is. If everyone is weaving in and out and having bad rotations and braking and accelerating, that's gonna burn extra energy and reduce draft efficiency. So there's an underlying extra boost when you graduate from beginner to intermediate ride groups, because your technique enables that much more efficiency.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Id also add that if you can do 17mph for 20-25 miles solo, you’re closer to probably hanging with that group one day than you think. Assuming you actually want to join them. If you are looking to do more group rides, one thing to pay attention to is if it’s listed as a drop ride. You might want to start with a no-drop ride since they regroup over the day. Some groups are bad about this still but a good leader will keep this in check.

Apr 7, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Id also add that if you can do 17mph for 20-25 miles solo, you’re closer to probably hanging with that group one day than you think. Assuming you actually want to join them. If you are looking to do more group rides, one thing to pay attention to is if it’s listed as a drop ride. You might want to start with a no-drop ride since they regroup over the day. Some groups are bad about this still but a good leader will keep this in check.

On my first solo century ride in 2020 I averaged 15mph on crushed limestone over 101 miles and I still have no idea how I did it since I've haven't managed that since (although I haven't done one solo since). I think I just turned my brain off and went. Some old guy drafted me for five miles because I was "going like a bat out of hell."

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
In my experience with some of these beginner rides (I help out around town from time to time) when rides say “18mph pace” they mean “we ride about 18mph in a pack on the uninterrupted flat parts of the ride” which is indeed very easy, and not “we have a 18mph overall average for the whole ride” which is quite hard, especially if there is any climbing. The beginner groups around here (San Diego) do loops of about 100’ climbing per mile at 12-14mph avg (which is usually around 18+ mph on the flats!)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

18 mph, solo on flat and uninterrupted stretches is 140w+ for me. I'm apparently not as aero as TobinHatesYou.

What really kills the avg moving speed is having to slow down for, and then accelerate out of, stops.

Here's a random ride I did yesterday, mostly MUPs and about as flat as it gets around here:

151w avg, including a couple minutes of stopped time. With a good half an hour of the ride in z3/tempo+.

tylertfb posted:

In my experience with some of these beginner rides (I help out around town from time to time) when rides say “18mph pace” they mean “we ride about 18mph in a pack on the uninterrupted flat parts of the ride” which is indeed very easy, and not “we have a 18mph overall average for the whole ride” which is quite hard, especially if there is any climbing. The beginner groups around here (San Diego) do loops of about 100’ climbing per mile at 12-14mph avg (which is usually around 18+ mph on the flats!)

Yeah, I'd say that's my experience with beginner/C group rides. Peak sustained speed.

Once you get into fast group rides, all bets are off. It's more about who shows up and wants to push the pace.

dema fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 10, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

Yeah Maurten is what I too used last weekend and will be using om Saturday, but as you say it's way too expensive to do more than maybe a few times a year

I'd heard of nuun before but I think it wasn't (easily) available to me, or the variant I had in mind wasn't, but I'll make sure to check it out again. Thanks!

I found this blog post interesting on the subject:
https://rpstrength.com/expert-advice/saving-money-as-an-endurance-athlete-with-home-made-intra-workout-drinks

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Maintaining a pace of 18mph or whatever over long distances is also much easier if you're not starting and stopping all the time. If you're doing mostly city riding and averaging lower you might get a pleasant surprise if you head somewhere with fewer stop lights.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
It also matters if you mean avg moving speed or avg speed of advance or typical sustained speed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sorry, I should have clarified that this is a "Speed" situation where if your speed drops below 18mph you get banned from the group and they put your photo on their facebook page.

Apr 7, 2003

My right nipple is better today.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My right nipple is better today.

okay but how does it compare to various search engine optimized nipples from around the world? (no cherrypicking!)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Interesting, thanks. Perhaps a dumb question but have you put any thought into how to deal with subsequent bottles? I "just" brought a bunch of the Maurten bags along and refilled mine at public places. Would you/do you bring along baggies of homemade powder mix? :drugnerd:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ya'll could probably stop being weirdos about group ride speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lex Neville posted:

Interesting, thanks. Perhaps a dumb question but have you put any thought into how to deal with subsequent bottles? I "just" brought a bunch of the Maurten bags along and refilled mine at public places. Would you/do you bring along baggies of homemade powder mix? :drugnerd:

On audaxes my top tube bag would look incredibly suspicious to anyone looking as I do literally have a few baggies in there

e: I use tailwind fwiw

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 10, 2023