Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
when you look at it this way it’s crazy what the Bruins have done this year to even be within distance. I’m sure those Habs teams were great but I find it hard to believe that 17 of the best 20 teams played from 1971-1980!

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1645255179334197251?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am obviously biased, but I think Boston doing this now (and Tampa in 2018-19) is significantly more impressive considering what the NHL looked like then and now. There are 32 teams now, there's the salary cap, more talent than ever before, etc. Those Montreal teams were definitely good but there were only 18 teams and about 10 of them were punching bags.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I am obviously biased, but I think Boston doing this now (and Tampa in 2018-19) is significantly more impressive considering what the NHL looked like then and now. There are 32 teams now, there's the salary cap, more talent than ever before, etc. Those Montreal teams were definitely good but there were only 18 teams and about 10 of them were punching bags.

If they lose round 1, I’m gonna mega lol about it all summer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The NHL expanded too fast so the 70s was just ridiculous for the established teams.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Personally I think the first two rounds of playoffs should be best of three (one home game/one away game with the tie breaking game going to the team with a higher standing) and OT in playoffs should be four on four.
Best of seven can drag too long. Don't get me wrong game 7s are awesome but just getting there can be a slog. Best of three will make each game a do or die game.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Madkal posted:

Personally I think the first two rounds of playoffs should be best of three (one home game/one away game with the tie breaking game going to the team with a higher standing) and OT in playoffs should be four on four.
Best of seven can drag too long. Don't get me wrong game 7s are awesome but just getting there can be a slog. Best of three will make each game a do or die game.

No.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jamwad Hilder posted:

On the other hand, part of the league being stronger these days is that the overall margins are smaller and even if that plays out favourably in something like goal% it still seems to suggest less dominance overall. Like, a 2-1 win looks better by goal% than a 7-4 win, but it's at least not obvious that the team reliably eking out 2-1 wins is dominating in the same way that the team putting up 7-4 wins is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it's pretty much both.

They're not dominating on the level the Canadiens did even if the GF% looks close. Montreal's goal differential was like +100 better. But Tampa and Boston doing it is also more impressive because the league is better and it has to be done under a salary cap.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The NHL expanded too fast so the 70s was just ridiculous for the established teams.

We don’t talk about the Caps inaugural season…

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

If they lose round 1, I’m gonna mega lol about it all summer.

It could happen but if any team is equipped to fend off a first round upset it seems like it would be the Bruins. They have a ton of playoff experience (unlike say last year's Panthers or the 2010 Capitals), they have no real weaknesses, a ton of top-end talent at all positions, and they are likely to face a worse-than-usual WC2 team.

But it's hockey so yeah, it's possible. I wonder how the analytics models will weigh the series and if the Bruins will be the heaviest favorites in a series in the cap era.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
One of the great things about hockey is that we're looking at a 60 win team and saying "yeah they seem to have an okay shot at getting out of the first round."

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Bard Maddox posted:

when you look at it this way it’s crazy what the Bruins have done this year to even be within distance. I’m sure those Habs teams were great but I find it hard to believe that 17 of the best 20 teams played from 1971-1980!

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1645255179334197251?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Yawn, all I'm seeing is that this isn't even the best regular season Bruins team ever

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

gently caress the bruins they are gonna win the cup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Bruins aren't going to lose to the Panthers or Penguins.

Tampa in round 2, however...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Madkal posted:

You son of a bitch!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Madkal posted:

We have all posted bad takes on here but lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

what is goals for percentage? is it the percentage of goals they scored in all of their games?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

reverse sweeps are too good to eliminate

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Best of 3 stinks and I stand by it. The only thing wrong with the playoffs is the stupid seeding system they use now which we've beaten to death.

But the format itself is perfect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

actionjackson posted:

what is goals for percentage? is it the percentage of goals they scored in all of their games?

Goals against divided by goals for.

Boston’s is only 58% though so despite it saying all situations, I’m not sure what it’s actually using.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

295/466=63.3%

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think xGF% factors in stuff like shot quality now too

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hobey Baker nominee Matthew Knies is going to score all the goals on Matthews' wing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

eXXon posted:

Hobey Baker nominee Matthew Knies is going to score all the goals on Matthews' wing.

Another Arizona-born Coyotes fan playing for Toronto

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay right. Percentage of total, not just difference.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1645418589124538369?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Exciting night tonight. Go Sabres, Capitals and Maple Leafs :barf:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gotta love the last couple days of the season where you better know calculus in order to figure out all 20+ possible scenarios that determine whether your bubble team gets into the playoffs or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you asked your teams to just qualify in January instead?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/camcharronyvr/status/1645460828110594048?s=20

So Cam Charron (who is a former Leafs staffer) is doing a re-watch of Leafs/Lightning last year and pointing out plays/underlyings and the like that are interesting. Which is sicko, depraved behaviour imo but a guy with a substack has gotta find content somewhere.

I think this is an interesting clip cause it gets down to the heart of where fans and analytics people start to differ with coaches in player evaluation. Everything Engvall does looks great on a stats sheet, controlled entry, scoring chance w/ shot assist, rebound attempt. If he makes a play like that every game he’s gonna look incredible on the microstats tables.

On the other hand, the dude literally has a step on the last defender back and decides to stop up with no pressure and an open lane to the net. Additive stats cannot capture missed opportunity, and that’s not counting the qualitative issues like how turning his back allows Vasy to take his focus off the puck handler and spot the trailer, or how Kampf didn’t have separation from his own defender so that “chance” never really had a chance in multiple ways.

I’m split on evaluating this because it bugs me when people put too much stock in how they wish players would play to the point of ignoring the ways they have positive impact, and ultimately Engvall made a positive play. But it’s been tiring year after year to see the Leafs (and not just Engvall, the big guys are as guilty of this as anyone) not put pressure on defenders and play in ways that makes defending their attack easier than it should be.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens really need a result tonight. I don't think that the Islanders will lose their last game of the season (at home vs Montreal). Florida's final game is at home against Carolina but the Canes might have the division clinched by then.

Looks like I'm relying on the *checks notes* Ovechkin-less Capitals :barf: or the Leafs to do the job. I guess the Leafs might if they aren't resting every single player. Caps seem like a long shot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
In somewhat obvious posting news, Ruff confirmed that Luke will play at least one of the final two games.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Simplex posted:

In a way I'm impressed with how difficult the NHL makes it to watch their product. So a nationally telecast game on TNT is blacked out in Denver for some reason. Oh and because it's on TNT, it's not on ESPN+. I don't even know what TV package you have to have to get Altitude Sports because of their long running tiff with Comcast. They aren't on any digital services that I know of. Long story short, I think about 50 people in Denver tonight will get to watch tonight's game.

This seems like a Kroenke issue, it’s impossible to watch the Nuggets too

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Isentropy posted:

This seems like a Kroenke issue, it’s impossible to watch the Nuggets too

Hrm, a Kroenke being an issue to the fans of a sports team. This has never happened before.

If there was one group that didn't need to own any more sports teams it would be anything Stan Kroenke is involved in. Sure they may win even, but being a fan requires a dichotomy of hatred/love of team that I'm not prepared to deal with. I'd much rather just wallow in the constant of mediocrity in Minnesota/Seattle sports teams.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jhet posted:

Hrm, a Kroenke being an issue to the fans of a sports team. This has never happened before.

If there was one group that didn't need to own any more sports teams it would be anything Stan Kroenke is involved in. Sure they may win even, but being a fan requires a dichotomy of hatred/love of team that I'm not prepared to deal with. I'd much rather just wallow in the constant of mediocrity in Minnesota/Seattle sports teams.

for legal issues, stan kroenke doesn't actually own the Avs, his son does

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1645476444745629698

Metro division scenarios.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

for legal issues, stan kroenke doesn't actually own the Avs, his son does

Oh definitely. It's why I tried to phrase it as group he's involved in. Josh Kroenke is slightly better at winning, but isn't exactly going to win awards from fan groups either.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Kroenke vs. Comcast has been a real “rooting for the meteor” situation the last four years

four years, Jesus. unreal that it’s gone on that long

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

actionjackson posted:

that one is not bad, but I don't exactly thing of fishermen when I think of long island.

they also had this one in the mid 90s https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/mjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc/New_York_Islanders/1996/Alternate_Logo

i'm a big fan of this really clean one https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/1933932019/New_York_Islanders/2019/Jersey_Logo

First off, you don't associate fishing with Long Island?! Ever hear a novel called Jaws?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(novel)

Unlike the movie, this is explicitly set on Long Island. Also, let one of our local bards tell a story of East End fishing assuming he hasn't crashed into another house lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVlDSzbrH5M

Sorry, I've spent too much time fishing on the North and South Shores to let that slide. You can't throw a striper in any direction without someone having a opinion on the waters here.

Let's see, the first logo you mention is just a shoulder patch and was never the main logo. The other one could've worked when they were in Barclays but they just had to go to the B&W look the Nets use normally for their 3rd. The fisherman logo was, is, and will always be a abomination that should've never been created.

Obviously Lou is Lou but I would've gone with the 25th anniversary uniform in the normal colors as the reverse retro
http://www.nhluniforms.com/Islanders/Islanders08.html

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/goldenknights/status/1645486389142908928?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Oh hi, Mark. Glad you healed up a week before playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

There's definitely a Kroenke issue, but I can't help but compare it to the NFL, where something like that Colts-Broncos abomination was still on OTA TV locally even though Thursday Night Football is a Prime exclusive.

With the Avs, couldn't watch their games in Finland because that was NHL.TV exclusive or something. Then there's randomly other games that aren't on ESPN+ for whatever reason.