Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I never understood the appeal of coupes that are big enough to might as well have 4 doors. Gain nothing, lose usability. It's the SUV coupe of earlier eras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MeruFM posted:

I never understood the appeal of coupes that are big enough to might as well have 4 doors. Gain nothing, lose usability. It's the SUV coupe of earlier eras.

:colbert:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

I'm generally a 4 door guy, but have a soft spot for the real jumbo coupes, especially the pillarless S-Class coupes, the closest thing you can get in the modern age, and even they're gone/going away aren't they?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Nobody appreciates a plus sized coupe anymore.

poo poo, nobody appreciates a personal luxury car anymore.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The E-coupe also has no B pillar. That is kinda cool as a concept. But they should also make it 2ft shorter to make it a real 2+2. If the rear passenger doesn't at least have their legs crushed and be extremely uncomfortable for any ride more than 5 minutes, it shouldn't be a coupe.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MeruFM posted:

It was definitely an image thing with my parents generation, at least in North America. As a young man my dad would have seen a four door as an old man’s car. Him and all his buddies would have been driving big 60s/70s coupes.

Pillarless coupes mostly outsold four doors back then. You are right they were not very practical, but that was almost the point, you were showing the world you didn’t need or want a practical car. I have a two door hardtop 68 Cutlass, Oldsmobile’s biggest seller that year, and rear leg room and head room is pretty bad.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Rolls still got the jumbo coupe buyers back too:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MeruFM posted:

Coupes = longer front doors.

Why would i give up easy access for me every time i drive the car just to make it easier for the occasional back seat people.

Those look like the super sketchy faux spoke unilugs that came on my car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MeruFM posted:

"lose usability" this is the truck argument. How often are you carrying a full car of people? If you're using your car as a taxi you probably have a point but the vast, vast majority of cars on the road at any one time have a single person sat in them. So why not have a car that looks better with less doors?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

Why would i give up easy access for me every time i drive the car just to make it easier for the occasional back seat people.

I’ve always found longer doors to be a pain because there is almost never room to open them wide enough to actually get into the car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

5-door wagons and hatchbacks are the only two acceptable car types.

(Minivans are just tall wagons)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"lose usability" this is the truck argument. How often are you carrying a full car of people? If you're using your car as a taxi you probably have a point but the vast, vast majority of cars on the road at any one time have a single person sat in them. So why not have a car that looks better with less doors?

This is not the truck argument. A truck is way bigger, taller, more dangerous, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

This is not even the station wagon argument where you need more material and has slightly different driving/comfort characteristics. Like it's easier to make a quieter sedan than a wagon.

A 2 door that has a 4 door equivalent is just... that. If you want a 2 door, get a car that's actually designed to be 2 doors

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Let me just quote you again.

MeruFM posted:

How do you lose usability in a vehicle you'll be driving around more than likely alone in the vast majority of the time?

It's honestly like people buying huge trucks for that 'just in case' scenario where they might need to put something in the back that they couldn't in a regular size car boot. It's the same thing. Buy what you actually need right now, not for some theoretical situation that might not even happen at some point in the future.

Give me the 2 door, it looks better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Give me the 2 door, it looks better.

Only sometimes. Stuff like the Civic and Accord always looked stupid as a coupe.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i like the implication that driving with friends is a theoretical situation that would never happen

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MeruFM posted:

i like the implication that driving with friends is a theoretical situation that would never happen

You appear to have missed the rest of my reply which is incredibly convenient for you and this post.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Only sometimes. Stuff like the Civic and Accord always looked stupid as a coupe.

I always thought those two stood out as looking decent, with the right proportions, at least the early models, but the others like the Focus and Camry sure were weird.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

:frogout: You always looked stupid

bonus

:colbert:

There might be some years that are ugly but that's true of all cars

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You appear to have missed the rest of my reply which is incredibly convenient for you and this post.
I don't need room for friends every day. Should I get a 2-seater this week and trade for a sedan next week when we go out for dinner and then trade-in back to a coupe the following week?

How often do you need to do something to accommodate a once-per-3-to-10-year purchase around it, in your mind?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What would be the closest New Hatchback in spirit to the Honda Fit in the United States? My partner's car got destroyed by hail and we've been looking around and nothing seems to satisfy that itch fuel economy, dimensions, and cargo space-wise.

We've been leaning towards the 2024 Impreza but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything. I've been told the Mazda 3 hatch and the Toyota Corolla hatch look weird.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Because the F80 and G80 look better than the F82 and G82. This is fact and not just opinion.

If you aren't like 6'5" the bigger door is just a hassle.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

moist turtleneck posted:

What would be the closest New Hatchback in spirit to the Honda Fit in the United States? My partner's car got destroyed by hail and we've been looking around and nothing seems to satisfy that itch fuel economy, dimensions, and cargo space-wise.

We've been leaning towards the 2024 Impreza but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything. I've been told the Mazda 3 hatch and the Toyota Corolla hatch look weird.

Nothing with as small a footprint as the Fit has the cargo space. Just doesn't exist anymore. If you're after cheap and efficient and decent to drive, you want a Kia Rio, under $20k MSRP new, best in segment, weirdly decent interior for how cheap it is:

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/rio

They're really hard to find though. This is the last model year and used ones cost more than new, sometimes significantly.

If you've got 50% more money to spend, the new Civic looks great but it's a bigger car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does it have to be new? Why not just get the newest Fit you can find.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
She doesn't trust previous owners, 2020 fit is the newest I could find and the pickings are slim in my area. The Kia Rio does look close, I'll add that one to the list

Er wait, is Kia the one the specializes in replacing engines all the time?

Also, she wants new so she can spec it out

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 10, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MeruFM posted:

You gain better looks and bigger doors for easier ingress and egress. As a former NFL lineman I wish there were still lots of huge two doors out there practically all that’s left are Mercedes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

She doesn't trust previous owners, 2020 fit is the newest I could find and the pickings are slim in my area. The Kia Rio does look close, I'll add that one to the list

Good loving luck, they're decent cars but they're harder to get than a Ford Maverick or even a Bronco at the moment. Enjoy the local dealer dice roll, some will make you come in to hear how big the dealer markup is, some will actually tell you in advance. I don't even know how they got one up to $20,500 MSRP, this one must have every option. They don't post a window sticker online, probably because sticker is $19k.

Kia has had a really, really loving bad stinker of an engine with that one specific engine that they put in a lot of cars. The Rio does not have that engine, and has a reliable one instead. The Rio's 1.6 was the base engine in the Kia Soul ages ago, and base engine Souls have lasted forever.

Edit: What kind of cargo space did you want? Would a Ford Maverick fit the bill? If you're going fishing for hard to find new cars, you might as well look for Mavericks too. 40MPG city, under $25k sticker, tons of cargo space for a cheap vehicle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

The Corolla hatch looks cool but the cargo space is pretty much worthless, I was shocked at how small it is

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I don't need room for friends every day. Should I get a 2-seater this week and trade for a sedan next week when we go out for dinner and then trade-in back to a coupe the following week?

How often do you need to do something to accommodate a once-per-3-to-10-year purchase around it, in your mind?

Please tell me this is a bait post.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

Good loving luck, they're decent cars but they're harder to get than a Ford Maverick or even a Bronco at the moment. Enjoy the local dealer dice roll, some will make you come in to hear how big the dealer markup is, some will actually tell you in advance. I don't even know how they got one up to $20,500 MSRP, this one must have every option. They don't post a window sticker online, probably because sticker is $19k.

Kia has had a really, really loving bad stinker of an engine with that one specific engine that they put in a lot of cars. The Rio does not have that engine, and has a reliable one instead. The Rio's 1.6 was the base engine in the Kia Soul ages ago, and base engine Souls have lasted forever.

Edit: What kind of cargo space did you want? Would a Ford Maverick fit the bill? If you're going fishing for hard to find new cars, you might as well look for Mavericks too. 40MPG city, under $25k sticker, tons of cargo space for a cheap vehicle.

We have a fit and a maverick, love them both for similar reasons.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LightRailTycoon posted:

We have a fit and a maverick, love them both for similar reasons.

How much did you pay for the Maverick? I see them for sale used with less than 2,000 miles on them listed for 50% more than MSRP all over the place still, so I'm assuming that you can't buy them new because if you could, someone would just be buying them all to scalp as used.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Please tell me this is a bait post.
The first part is, the second is mostly a genuine question.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'll probably be downsizing to a maverick in the future, I love the coyote howl but I really don't need that much bed in the f150

I'm doing a dimension comparison now and I didn't realize how much longer the Impreza is compared to the fit

There's no chance to get a jazz crosstar until they're like 15 years old, right? It'd be really dumb financially, warranty, and insurance-wise but it'd be funny to go to a luxury importer and be like "one 2024 jazz crosstar please"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the rear doors on a sedan are for groceries

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Aren’t the new Priusi relatively roomy?
There’s also the Chevy Bolt. My buddy has one and I’ve been impressed with the space

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

How much did you pay for the Maverick? I see them for sale used with less than 2,000 miles on them listed for 50% more than MSRP all over the place still, so I'm assuming that you can't buy them new because if you could, someone would just be buying them all to scalp as used.

I ordered it July 21 and got it January 22. It’s a hybrid XL, with only rubber floor mats and a hitch for options, paid MSRP, around 22k, with destination.

I’ve since added a soft tonneau, and the bed cubbies, as I didn’t want to finance them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that Chevy Bolt is pretty drat close in dimensions, but the full ev is probably out of the question. Can't believe they got rid of that cool generator style of engine that the Volt had

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LightRailTycoon posted:

I ordered it July 21 and got it January 22. It’s a hybrid XL, with only rubber floor mats and a hitch for options, paid MSRP, around 22k, with destination.

I’ve since added a soft tonneau, and the bed cubbies, as I didn’t want to finance them.

Goddamn, Carmax and Carvana have that exact config listed used for $35k. And they don't discount and I see people buying them.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Yeah, and the 2023 model year sold out in ten days.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sonata getting a facelift. https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-hyundai-sonata-first-look-review/

Mostly looks nicer but I'm still not a big fan of the front, even though it doesn't look like a catfish any more. Inside seems nice but the HVAC controls are taking a huge step backwards by not being physical anymore.

Cool that they're keeping the N Line model even after Honda dropped their 2.0T. Guessing it's not getting an LSD or AWD though, can't be as good as the G80 after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That Lincoln rules. gently caress you, fight me if you disagree.

I'll bite your fuckin dick and balls off.