Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I really like Yes boards. the Optimistic is probably the best board I have ever owned going back to 1999. I am also a simp for Rome bindings. I hear Union are good too though. Boots....really whatever fits your foot (I haven't used a ride boot in over a decade so hard to say on what you linked). I ride Deeluxe boots. Jackets/pants anything on sale, waterproofness required based on where you ride. I like Smith helmets, goggles smith or dragon. gloves Free the Powder or Truck.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ordered myself a Rome Ravine Select that's on sale. It's predominantly camber, which is new to me. My current DOA is flat under foot with some minor camber between. I wonder if I'm gonna catch an edge the first descent. :v: Before I got my DOA last year (gently caress everyone calling it all-mountain), I tried an old Burton of my BIL that was sorta directional and cambered like the Ravine and I hated it (but I was just starting out).

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I got the regular Ravine this year and it owns. I thought about getting the select as well but the regular turned out to be the right amount of playfulness for me while still being able to charge hard. It's not catchy but it'll prob just take you a minute to figure out where the edges engage

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Beautiful day at palisades for some powder day leftovers with a little 2-3” refresh on top. I was only gonna take a few laps in the morning before work and then my boss, who is on vacation, texted me that he was coming over from alpine on the gondola so I stayed for a few more laps with him and showing his older kids some of the steeper stuff he couldn’t take the young ones on. Oops.

Yesterday was fantastic. The only weekday powder day I was able to get out this year with no snow day for the kids. Wife gave me the green light to leave home early before everyone else was up so I got in line at KT early before opening with a foot fresh, first time I’ve really ever been able to do that. Getting fresh tracks for nearly an entire run on whatever bit of that terrain you want is pretty awesome.

A couple of my friends who make me feel like a wuss who is bad at skiing went straight for eagles nest before anyone else and shredded it. That’s the face in the last photo above.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gorgeous

those clouds

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I realized yesterday that this year could be an opportunity to go for 12 consecutive ski months, something I’ve never done before. September and October are the tough ones though, and I definitely won’t be able to go to the southern hemisphere to get them.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
My GF were talking about doing that this year since it feels like can use CA to get through Aug at this rate, and we're going to cheat for September and just go to the indoor big snow in NJ, and then hope that NE doesn't have another terrible start and Killington / Sunday River open their snow making terrain in October as they usually do.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 31, 2023

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

bawfuls posted:

I realized yesterday that this year could be an opportunity to go for 12 consecutive ski months, something I’ve never done before. September and October are the tough ones though, and I definitely won’t be able to go to the southern hemisphere to get them.

Water/Sand skiing?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Water/Sand skiing?

Sandboarding is a big thing at the OR coast dunes

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Steve French posted:

Beautiful day at palisades for some powder day leftovers with a little 2-3” refresh on top. I was only gonna take a few laps in the morning before work and then my boss, who is on vacation, texted me that he was coming over from alpine on the gondola so I stayed for a few more laps with him and showing his older kids some of the steeper stuff he couldn’t take the young ones on. Oops.

Yesterday was fantastic. The only weekday powder day I was able to get out this year with no snow day for the kids. Wife gave me the green light to leave home early before everyone else was up so I got in line at KT early before opening with a foot fresh, first time I’ve really ever been able to do that. Getting fresh tracks for nearly an entire run on whatever bit of that terrain you want is pretty awesome.

A couple of my friends who make me feel like a wuss who is bad at skiing went straight for eagles nest before anyone else and shredded it. That’s the face in the last photo above.

I was up there Tues-Thurs as well. Tues I was only out for 4 runs on a WFH break in the afternoon, and while the snow was decent it was pretty wet out due to it being at or just above freezing. Weds and Thurs were amazing though. On Weds I didn't get to KT until the 1st chair people were already getting down, but I was one of the first 20 or so people on Granite Chief which meant fresh tracks the whole way down. We ended up running that lift for most of the morning and early afternoon, traversing more into Hidden Bowl side of the chair as the day went on to keep finding fresh tracks. It was a pleasant surprise that they were able to get most of the mountain opened for the pow day (including Siberia and Headwall eventually opening) as that doesn't seem to happen very often. Sun even came out for a couple Siberia laps before we called it a day. In general it seems like there's so much snow up there right now that it's mellowed out some of the steeper sections/drops a bit.

This was also a trip that made me very happy to now have a 2 ski quiver for Tahoe. The Wildcat was great (if not a bit overkill) for Tues/Weds, while I was very happy to have the 92mm waist Fast Forwards for Thurs. The Wildcats were also what I'd hoped they'd be in terms of a pow ski that can better handle the chop/bumps/variable Tahoe snow after things get tracked out compared to my old DPS pow skis.

Top of Emigrant Thurs AM:

Looking @ Headwall Thurs AM:

KT Weds ~9:20 AM:

Granite Chief Weds ~10: 20 AM, only ski patrol tracks:

Snow accumulation @ The Dub Tuesday night:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Water/Sand skiing?
absolutely does not count

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I've got a truck camper and willing to meet you halfway in the eastern sierras after the resorts close...

Splinter posted:

It was a pleasant surprise that they were able to get most of the mountain opened for the pow day (including Siberia and Headwall eventually opening) as that doesn't seem to happen very often.

I think it was for a similar reason to this being the first real powder day this year that wasn't also a snow day: often the snow comes in overnight whereas this storm came in Tuesday and tapered off before most of the night, so they had plenty of time to prep.

Splinter posted:

In general it seems like there's so much snow up there right now that it's mellowed out some of the steeper sections/drops a bit.

Oh, absolutely. Tons of stuff that's usually gnarly cliff lines and straightline-only chutes are completely buried now. Diving board (under Granite) isn't even a mandatory air this year. I did a few Light Towers laps last week skiing solo, just nice steep skiing instead of a rock face. Adrenaline chute goes straight, no air in the middle. We did hole in the wall Wednesday and it was just a little hop through the rocks into a wide open snow field.

Splinter posted:

This was also a trip that made me very happy to now have a 2 ski quiver for Tahoe. The Wildcat was great (if not a bit overkill) for Tues/Weds, while I was very happy to have the 92mm waist Fast Forwards for Thurs. The Wildcats were also what I'd hoped they'd be in terms of a pow ski that can better handle the chop/bumps/variable Tahoe snow after things get tracked out compared to my old DPS pow skis.

Long shot here, but gonna ask anyway: were you skiing with a buddy on a pair of Deathwishes?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Steve French posted:

Long shot here, but gonna ask anyway: were you skiing with a buddy on a pair of Deathwishes?

Nope, I was with 2 boarders (not the ones in my Emigrant pic, those were randos), one on an Orca. A room down the the hall from me did have a pair of Deathwishes and Wildcats outside their door every night, so that very well may have been who you saw. I rock a red jacket blue pants situation w/ an aqua blue helmet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

I've got a truck camper and willing to meet you halfway in the eastern sierras after the resorts close...
noted

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

October would be too late for the Southern Hemisphere anyway; it's usually packing up around mid-September. I've skied early September in NZ and it's definitely approaching spring conditions at that point.

I would go for Saas Fee or Hintertux if you're able to get to Europe.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don’t know poo poo about ski mountaineering and have never done Shasta… but maybe that’s an option for Sept/Oct

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I can tell it's springtime at Winter Park because I saw a guy skiing while wearing shorts and a button-up shirt.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

I don’t know poo poo about ski mountaineering and have never done Shasta… but maybe that’s an option for Sept/Oct

All you really need is ski crampons

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Godlessdonut posted:

I can tell it's springtime at Winter Park because I saw a guy skiing while wearing shorts and a button-up shirt.

Saw a guy in just jorts at Breck today. It was like 30 F and super windy.i guess he was having fun?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

still a winter wonderland, in April, at Kirkwood. I picked a good year to start skiing

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's all downhill from here

;)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

today is my last day in SLC, it has been N U K I N G since sunday night, and nobody has been up- or down-canyon since. Alta has recorded 62" of snow in that timeframe.

so i borrowed some huge QST 118s, we all got up way early today, and were all prepped to blow off work on the off chance they got little cottonwood open overnight/this morning as the storm died down.

https://twitter.com/brian_schnee/status/1643680908652814344?s=20

needless to say, neither canyon is opening at all today and alta and snowbird are still interlodged. Godspeed, anyone who gives it a go tomorrow!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I've been in SLC since last Wednesday and this past week has been absolute crazy with the amount of snow fallen over two separate storms, that were separated by a few days. Talking to a coworker who lives in SLC, he only remembers them interlodging for entire days like 3 times over 6 seasons, and it's happened 3 times in 6 days.

Have been going to all the different resorts around SLC, and they're all skiing so incredibly. Will be sad to go back to VT on Friday.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You making it up anywhere the next few days? Lcc is gonna be a poo poo show til the end of the week with the road closures.

This isn't that out of the ordinary for midseason but for April this is nuts. We had a similar winter a few years back where lcc was interlodged for an entire week straight. That was mid Feb though. You could still see avalanche debris from that period midway up lcc but I'm gonna guess it's gone now!

Anyway, yesterday was my first day back since blowing my heel bone into pieces Dec 17. Hit Brighton as lcc road is hosed. Feels so goddamned good to be back.

Hoping for a few more months at the bird and then maybe a July trip to mammoth? Never been but since I've been out this whole season gotta make up for lost time...

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 9, 2023

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
As sale season sets in, I've got another question about buying skis. I've got my eye on a couple decent looking used skis and I'm not sure which way to go. Normally I'd ask my father-in-law, but he doesn't really bother with his phone when he's at whistler (it sounds nice being retired).

I'd put myself at an intermediate skill level, but I don't get to go out and practice/ski much (we're trying to plan more for next year though). I'm comfortable on groomed blue runs and okay on easier blacks, but I haven't ventured off-piste before. I always ski with family, who are very experienced and like to go into moguls and some trees, and I wouldn't mind following if I can build a bit more confidence. I mostly like to dig into one edge back and forth and sort of hop from ski to ski in my turns rather than do big swoopy turns, mostly because it's easier to turn that way for me. Staying slow means turning too perpendicular for the slope and it feels way harder to turn over so far. That being said, I don't typically ski really fast or aggressively (or keep up with family), in part because I don't feel stable or in control past a certain point. I don't know how much of this is lack of skill and how much is just skiing on rentals. I'm not at the point of truly carving. I want to get a ski that won't be too aggressive for me now but also that I won't outgrow as soon as I get a year or two of more frequent ski days into me.

At 5'8" and 155lbs and reasonably athletic, mostly from cycling. The boots I'm looking at picking up are salomon select 90s (I'm hoping for a bit deeper sale before I buy, hopefully they aren't a terrible idea).

The skis I'm look at are all demo skis, and are pretty close in price and condition, and are what I think is a decent length for me.

K2 Mindbender 85 163cm - Probably the right choice, but the lure of something fancier is strong.

Kastle MX 84 160cm - Too aggressive for me? They look like they'd rip but I'm not sure I can rip.

Exonde VO V21 160cm - A little wider waist and I'm not sure I need it. 87mm isn't crazy wide, but If I'm mostly on groomers extra width probably isn't necessary. Otherwise not too different from the K2 except with no rear rocker.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it but I really only want to buy once in my situation.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The idea of buying once at intermediate levels isn't very useful. As you get better, you get a good idea of your prefs.

Just get whatever is most heavily discounted imo until you are comfortable or even interested in doing harder stuff. The differences in skis of approximately the same size and weight is pretty small on intermediate runs and you can always sell them.

For boots, most important is comfort, then flex. Flex does affect how you ski quite a bit, it determines how much power you can put in. But also at intermediate levels, boots of the same weight class are mostly the same unless really soft or really hard. Just stay in the 90-120 range.

also rental skis are generally more forgiving of instability because they're softer, narrower, etc. You'll find skis you buy much harder and scarier at first. They also set your release at a more "intermediate" level which means the release weight is heavier so it might hurt more if you fall. The first year I got real skis, I broke my ankle on moguls because i didn't fall right and the ski didn't release as I expected.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 10, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Exonde VO V21 160cm - A little wider waist and I'm not sure I need it. 87mm isn't crazy wide, but If I'm mostly on groomers extra width probably isn't necessary. Otherwise not too different from the K2 except with no rear rocker.
no comment on the rest of your post but this difference is nothing and you will absolutely not notice the difference between 84-87mm underfoot as an intermediate.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

no comment on the rest of your post but this difference is nothing and you will absolutely not notice the difference between 84-87mm underfoot as an intermediate.

I’ve been skiing for like 36 years, about half that competitively, and I don’t think I would notice.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Buy boots that fit your feet well. Buy whatever ski is cheapest or you like the look of best. Ski a bunch. Try your friend's/family's skis if you can. You'll figure out what you like/don't like about your skis and other skis and can use that to make an informed decision on your next pair in a year or three. Or if you don't ski a lot you'll keep skiing like you have been and it won't matter that much what skis you have anyway.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for everyone’s advice. Having lots of options and very little knowledge to base my decision on had me obsessing over all sorts of stuff to try and figure it out. I ended up getting the demo skis that looked the least worn, some mindbender 85rx. They’re the rental model but I’ve only ever ridden rentals before and I don’t have to worry about the quality of any epoxy or ptex repairs. I ordered the boots I was looking at too. I’d been measured for boots but the shop had nothing in my size in a last that worked for my foot, so I got something with the size, measurements, and flex they recommended. Now I’ve just got to wait until fall.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Picked up some Line Sakanas from Canada for cheap cheap. Skied them for the first time on Sunday. Funnest skis of all time. Sunday was gonna be my last day of the season but I had so much fun with the Sakanas I think I have to go up next weekend, 70 degree temps and soupy slush be damned.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Thanks for everyone’s advice. Having lots of options and very little knowledge to base my decision on had me obsessing over all sorts of stuff to try and figure it out. I ended up getting the demo skis that looked the least worn, some mindbender 85rx. They’re the rental model but I’ve only ever ridden rentals before and I don’t have to worry about the quality of any epoxy or ptex repairs. I ordered the boots I was looking at too. I’d been measured for boots but the shop had nothing in my size in a last that worked for my foot, so I got something with the size, measurements, and flex they recommended. Now I’ve just got to wait until fall.

I’m very skeptical about buying boots that you have never tried on. Make sure you try them on as soon as they arrive so that you can return them if they don’t fit.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m very skeptical about buying boots that you have never tried on. Make sure you try them on as soon as they arrive so that you can return them if they don’t fit.

Typically I agree about footwear, but there is no ski shop where I live, I just get to stop into one when I travel and ski. Your advice is definitely in the plan.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Little cottonwood opened back up today.

It's basically a warzone and whole areas that have been heavily wooded for decades are now completely wiped clean of trees and brush.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got out to MRG last weekend, and am probably not going out for closing day today. It was fun to ski MRG in april but it was of course garbage snow, and I have other stuff to do today.

I am planning on trying to go to Sugarbush once more at the last possible moment.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Little cottonwood opened back up today.

It's basically a warzone and whole areas that have been heavily wooded for decades are now completely wiped clean of trees and brush.

Yikes. This happened here in bear creek a few years back, 3’ diameter trees snapped and thrown around like toothpicks. Took like a year to get the hiking trail back in shape.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m up in NJ and realized I left my gloves in NC. Anyone got some decent glove recommendations? Preferably available at REI? I don’t want to pay for another up charged crappy Big Snow pair again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Warbird posted:

I’m up in NJ and realized I left my gloves in NC. Anyone got some decent glove recommendations? Preferably available at REI? I don’t want to pay for another up charged crappy Big Snow pair again.

If you're looking for in store, REI is moving away from their ski gear this time of year so selection might be limited. I was just at the Seattle flagship store and it was bare bones leftovers on half of a shelf ... A few weeks ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You can get Kincos on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrEqc6dLNWM/

Saw this live yesterday and thought this guy died. He had an ice axe fall down the hole with him and he climbed out like 5-10 minutes later. Craziest poo poo I have ever seen. He didn’t break anything just was soaking and needed to warm up at the hospital from what I heard