Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Story is pretty bleak but not hopeless (except for the Sun & Moon geez), Yoko Taro to the max, all the events are more of the same, there's no 4th wall meta stuff or comical humor at all.

It's gotten extremely generous lately compared to what it used to be even a few months ago, with a lot of the event missions giving tons of materials and pretty good login bonuses.

What’s the gameplay like? Is it an action game with RPG elements like its console counterparts or more of a turn based thing?

Also where does it fall on the series timeline (assuming it’s connected at all)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

What’s the gameplay like? Is it an action game with RPG elements like its console counterparts or more of a turn based thing?

It's a mobile game, so it's real time 3 party auto-battle you can control by choosing when to activate the character abilities and special attacks. You can set that to auto too.

Strategy is 80% character and equipment, then timing your ability usages to stack combos as high as you can, using things like attack+, critical+ early in the combo.

It's not directly connected to the other Nier games, but there's a bunch of weapons that are clearly references, some of the banners had Nier/Drakengard characters (maybe they will rerun), and two of the story characters seem like they kinda come from Drakengard 3 in a roundabout way. All mostly just references nothing direct.

The main story is more or less self contained chapters tied together by the theme of the setting, The Cage, but you end up with more questions then answers.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 6, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

It's a mobile game, so it's real time auto-battle you can control by choosing when to activate the character abilities and special attacks. You can set that to auto too.

Strategy is 80% character and equipment, then timing your ability usages to stack combos as high as you can, using things like attack+, critical+ early in the combo.

So pretty much like the Kingdom Hearts mobile game then, makes sense. Is the story mode complete at this point or still in progress?

Also are there still weapon stories?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 6, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Larryb posted:

Also are there still weapon stories?

Better: you are acting out the weapon stories with the main characters :-)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I played it a bit when it was new (actually needing the space on my phone was what finally got me to uninstall Sinoalice for having incredibly boring gameplay,) and unless it's really improved it completely nails the atmosphere, has pretty good writing, and plays sort of like classic Final Fantasy ATB if everyone only had "fight" and one other move.

I eventually uninstalled it too, but especially since the Automata anime got paused and left me with a Yoko Taro craving that Drakengard 3, while incredible, didn't quite sate, I would love to hear that it gets better.
Reincarnation I mean I finished Drakengard 3.

Also holy poo poo it's not very Nier and the gameplay is mid but Drakengard 3 is loving great and constantly had me amazed that it is a real AAA video game published by Square Enix and translated for an English release.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
lol

https://kotaku.com/yoko-taro-mobile-game-sega-waifu-404-game-reset-new-1850100784

Yoko Taro is involved in a new mobile game from Sega, in this Sega has taken over the world or something, and you fight/join/work with anthropomorphic versions of classic Sega games, all appear to be cute anime girls.

Art so far has Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, After Burner, and Outrun.

Fair warning, one YT game SinoAlice started shutting down some servers in 2022 likely planned to shut them all down, and from all impressions Nier:Re in early days was pretty dire in terms of f2p and progression.

This interview is hilarious though

quote:

“It’s a game that features Sega’s IP, so I thought Sega should be in the game, but I didn’t think Sega would want to see a game that portrayed it well, so I portrayed it negatively,” Taro said in the announcement trailer (as translated by VGC). “It’s a world that imagines that if things were to go well for Sega but then got out of control, it could end up like this.”

So far, the confirmed Sega games that will be getting hit with the waifu ray are After Burner, Out Run, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter. In an interview with Famitsu, producer Gosuke Nakamura said there will be “many more” Sega girls for players to collect. This means there’s still a chance we will see him choose the definitive car-waifu from Daytona USA ya’ll. No copying the Transformers bishojo toy line, Taro. I’ll know.

A Google-translated tweet from the official 404 Game Re:set account describes the game’s setting as a “Sega country” that seeks to “deceive and control people.” The player character, in turn, will be charged with the task of “deliver[ing] the truth hidden by Sega to as many people as possible” and taking back the world from the maniacal Sega country.

I would bet money that the Sonic the Hedgehog girl will be the meta in terms of fanart.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

yoko taro i love you but please make a non-mobile game

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

susan b buffering posted:

He's made like 3 non mobile rpgs in one year or so

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

fair enough

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

We have Neptunia at home

Neptunia at home:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Do any of those get very :yokotaro: at some point?

Also do any of them get fun to play at some point? I know they stay turn based jrpgs, but like, maybe they become GOOD turn based jrpgs?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

WaltherFeng posted:

Those card games?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

imhotep posted:

Those card games?

yep

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

We have Neptunia at home

Neptunia at home:

This is just the third step in the increasingly specific evolutionary chain of 'what if sega was girls'. The second step was Sega Hard Girls, which is absolutely Neptunia at home

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain France posted:

Do any of those get very :yokotaro: at some point?

Also do any of them get fun to play at some point? I know they stay turn based jrpgs, but like, maybe they become GOOD turn based jrpgs?

I only played the first one and tbh no, it pretty much stayed the same quality from beginning to end and the story didn't get particularly interesting (nothing up to drakengard/nier standards anyway), so I never bothered to try out the others. I guess I'm curious to hear if they got better too, but I don't think I'll be playing them

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I only played the first one and tbh no, it pretty much stayed the same quality from beginning to end and the story didn't get particularly interesting (nothing up to drakengard/nier standards anyway), so I never bothered to try out the others. I guess I'm curious to hear if they got better too, but I don't think I'll be playing them

The card based thing is kind of a misnomer, it's just a jrpg that uses a card aesthetic to tell the story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime returns next week:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/02/11/nierautomata-ver11a-anime-returns-to-japanese-tv-on-february-18th

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Dabir posted:

This is just the third step in the increasingly specific evolutionary chain of 'what if sega was girls'. The second step was Sega Hard Girls, which is absolutely Neptunia at home

Possibly the fourth if you count the obscure manga/anime World War Blue, a fantasy story which follows a group of characters based on Sega games in their war against the evil Nintendo empire.

But that also has Nintendo and men so I don't know if it counts.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

susan b buffering posted:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I kind of miss the shame that used to be associated with selling out, but at least he's funny about admitting it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Selling out kicks rear end

I wish I could sell out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime is getting a dub starting this weekend, and unlike The World Ends With You most of the English game cast will be reprising their roles for this:

https://twitter.com/NieRA_anime_EN/status/1636021570358636546

https://twitter.com/NieRA_anime_EN/status/1636021573433049088

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I beat Replicant last week, and then beat it again to get the B ending (which I think was worth it). I love the game but don't know if I really want to go through it a third time... is there anything of value in endings C-E?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Yes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Extremely so; route C and onward is all new stuff you haven't seen yet

e: i was thinking of automata, ignore this

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 10, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If it weren't for E I'd say just watching the endings for C and D would be more or less fine, but E's pretty great.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Congrats you're done with repeating stuff, now it's time to play the rest of the game!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Genuinely in love with the fact that someone can earnestly ask that question in tyool 2023. :allears: You have a lot more game ahead, Cornholio!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Did y'all miss that they're talking about Replicant, not Automata

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Did y'all miss that they're talking about Replicant, not Automata

This.

I did all of Automata (up to E) and loved it but there was an entire game after the second playthrough. I... don't think that's the same with Replicant (an extra boss at C, and then it looks like maybe a couple of hours of new content for D and/or E?) but I don't know. Twice through is enough for me unless there's a decent payoff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

E is all new for Replicant

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's not worth it if you're not enjoying the experience of replaying it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

It's not worth it if you're not enjoying the experience of replaying it.

I enjoyed it the second time around but I think more playthroughs would get tiresome if there isn't a big reason to play through it again. I'm content with where I am, unless there's something huge I don't know about (Automata style).

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Oh that's on me then, my bad

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

C&D can be done in the same playthrough since you can just reload a save before the end sequence after doing ending C and pick the D choice instead.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would say E is worth doing in the remake, I really liked what's in the ending overall. C & D only need to be done as full playthroughs if you care about your save file showing all the save marks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

And if you do D you might as well do E

C/D require you to have collected all the weapons though and some are missable necessitating further playthroughs if you didn’t grab them already

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You don’t need all the weapons in the remaster so that’s easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

hatty posted:

You don’t need all the weapons in the remaster so that’s easier

You need them all but you don't need to fully upgrade them like (I think) you used to.