Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though it could just be that even Republicans know that the 'electability' argument is a bullshit false dichotomy.

Especially since they specifically chose the candidate who spoke specifically to them and got them all hyped up over a bunch of 'qualified' establishment picks, and that candidate proceeded to defeat The Most Qualified Candidate In History.

The Most Qualified Candidate In History was James Buchanan, the worst president ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Most Qualified Candidate In History was James Buchanan, the worst president ever.

Now now, the worst president ever yet

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

North Dakota senators vote to boost their own meal reimbursements after rejecting free school lunch bill

Free lunches for me, but not for thee

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ben Koppleman is just out here trying to pass some laws that, of his own admission, raise his salary and fix the outrageous situation where lawmakers don't get the state to pay for their lunch. I think we can all sympathize with him, since few of use would take some crap job that wouldn't even pay for our lunches. That's just standard, and we really shouldn't be asking our politicians to accept anything less. If those lazy kids would get a job, and put some skin in the game, they'd get lunch reimbursed just like everyone else.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Oh my God, I really don't want to hear what Trump has to say on the matter

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1645378678518435840

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

You would think they would get tired of losing eventually

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1645258292879302668

This is a strange poll question. Aren’t people supposed to vote for the candidate with the policies they like the best?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is a strange poll question. Aren’t people supposed to vote for the candidate with the policies they like the best?

You'd think, but then that leads to all sorts of undesirables getting votes that rightly belong to the establishment pick, so they pivoted to "most electable" as the electrolyte that voters crave.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Cimber posted:

I don't know if they actually want to win. its far easier for them to be able to gum up the works by holding one part of congress than actually be in charge. Then they would actually have to implement the policies they keep talking about.

Yeah, I thought they were evil but smart enough to not actually get any of their unpopular/ethically wrong policies through. You'd figure they were smart enough to know actual people that have been convinced that both parties suck so don't bother voting would see that one party sucks a lot more and vote against them. If the crazies have completely taken over and they start loosing statehouses it might leave just enough time to start fixing things before people forget and they get back in.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I AM GRANDO posted:

If elections were all about policies, then this world would probably be a lot better off. People don't work that way (and what you can blame for that is up to endless debate).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
She must have an angle. Retiring? Or trying to get ahead of demographic changes in her district? Would seem fatal in a primary. :thunk:

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1645404122202374144

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
She represents SC-1, which as far as I can tell was a pretty close district for most of the Trump era (flipped Dem in 2018, flipped back by a hair in 2020), and became slightly safer after redistricting; she won in 2022, 56 to 42. I wouldn't expect her to be critically concerned about a general election in the near future, which does make this interesting.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Charlz Guybon posted:

She must have an angle. Retiring? Or trying to get ahead of demographic changes in her district? Would seem fatal in a primary. :thunk:

On a brief lookup, it seems in line with what she's said in the recent past and realizes how damaging this issue can be to the Republican party in general.

From August: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/07/republicans-abortion-nancy-mace-midterms-00050229

quote:

GOP Congresswoman Nancy Mace on Sunday warned that Republicans could pay a price in November if they don’t reel in extreme takes on abortion policy.

The Republican from South Carolina supports the overturning of Roe v. Wade but criticized bans that states have implemented that take measures such as preventing a person traveling out of state for care or include no exceptions for rape or incest.

From January: https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meetthepressblog/nancy-mace-says-gop-needs-show-balance-abortion-rcna74276

quote:

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) said she thinks abortion is the reason why Republicans did not pick up a larger majority in the House, urging lawmakers to find middle ground on the issue.

“It’s the reason we didn’t get more of a majority,” Mace said to Chuck Todd on NBC’s “Meet The Press” on Sunday. “We should have had a dozen or two dozen seat majority this legislative session but we don’t because this is one of the issues that was top of mind for swing voters.”

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gyges posted:

Ben Koppleman is just out here trying to pass some laws that, of his own admission, raise his salary and fix the outrageous situation where lawmakers don't get the state to pay for their lunch. I think we can all sympathize with him, since few of use would take some crap job that wouldn't even pay for our lunches. That's just standard, and we really shouldn't be asking our politicians to accept anything less. If those lazy kids would get a job, and put some skin in the game, they'd get lunch reimbursed just like everyone else.

North Dakota doesn't pay its state legislators a living wage. I mean 10 dollars of meal per diem isn't going to change that and they should have voted for free school lunches, but states underpaying their lawmakers is a real problem. It isn't coincidental that they're full of business owners.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
but criticized bans that states have implemented that take measures such as preventing a person traveling out of state for care

Because it could possibly impact people who can afford to take time off and travel?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Riven posted:

I’m 38 and grew up a white, straight and middle class male. When I was 18 I cast my first vote for Ah-nold the Guvunnatuh and described myself as “socially liberal and fiscally moderate.”

I am by all merits pretty successful, own a condo, make low six figures and have a kid and should be ripe for the “get more conservative as you get older” movement.

I now basically vote for whoever the DSA endorses. I am moving more towards gay space communism than republicanism. Most of my friends are not as left as me but they’re not far off. I don’t feel like I can’t share my opinions in social circles because they’re too out there.
Same, basically, except no kid and not quite six figs (I'll be there in a year). I considered myself an "open minded moderate" up until the 2008 campaign. (At the time, I worked as a temp transcribing clinical data for $10 an hour.) Of course I hated Bush, and I definitely leaned Dem pretty hard (never actually voted for any Republican), but I didn't consider the GOP to be completely illegitimate. The McCain campaign changed that. And then it was probably around 2011 (OWS epoch) that I realized I was left of what the mainstream Democrats were trying to do.

I wonder how much the decline of conservatism among the youth is just the result of the Republicans being so absolutely terrible for their entire lives. Like, it's fully possible that they could still be getting the 40-50% of the youth vote they got in the 20th century if they had focused on the "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" message that people love to gobble up because it sounds "smart."

It’s almost like the GOP has embraced “demographics is destiny” themselves, only the destiny is total ruin, and their actions have accelerated it rather than doing anything to mitigate it. At this point they’re so far along this process that destroying the principle of majority rule is their only recourse, and I think most of them realize it.

Further along the spectrum, the inability of Dems, especially centrist leaders, to settle on economic priorities or get their policies through Congress has made the idea going off to their left more appealing to Gen Z and aging Millennials alike - especially if the alternative exit from the party is toward the Republicans.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 10, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kalit posted:

On a brief lookup, it seems in line with what she's said in the recent past and realizes how damaging this issue can be to the Republican party in general.

Well, I think that's the trap the republicans have dug for themselves. They let the crazies take over so much of the party they are forcing 'moderate' republicans to take stances they don't really want to just survive primary, and then they are stuck with those statements once it comes time for the general. The crazies however don't care, because they are safe in their deeply red, artificially designed districts where they can do whatever they want without worry. MTG I'm looking at you.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The split seems like "apathy towards voter needs to the point of neglect" vs "literally wants you dead if you don't fit their model citizen."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Charlz Guybon posted:

The runners up for Most Qualified Candidate in History was either Joe Biden or LBJ, I forget which it was. But both of them won their elections, one even against Trump.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the split is the same as it's always been: kkk robes vs kkk suits
the robes think the suits are cowards and liars because robes are stupider and never, ever interact with people who don't agree with them, so if everyone already agrees why wear a suit?
and the suits know they need to appeal to more than the robes because they know some allies need plausible deniability.
no jewish woman would vote for a robe, but they'll vote for a suit because they can't be kkk: they're wearing a suit!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Her district is Charleston.

Abortion restriction is not a winning issue there.

Also good lord kentucky…

https://twitter.com/anandwrites/status/1645453192765775873?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The bloodless ghouls are attempting to make taking bribes from billionaires who love Nazis a bipartisan consensus

https://twitter.com/MarkPaoletta/status/1645104294775930880?t=ii77-u0O1xx0Ku0b0wyOPw&s=19

As an amusing postscript, Harlan does not keep his Nazi memorabilia in his Garden of Evil

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm confused by Paoletta's framing, since Old Parkland is, well, literally an office complex. A large number of businesses rent space there, and they have a space that's rented for private events. Crow and conservatives have some influence over the place (it's promoted for its "civic value" and they run debate events that favor their views), but speaking at an event there is hardly an endorsement of the owner.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 10, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't find anything that isn't on Twitter about Jeffries and Crow having any kind of interaction whatsoever. Is this some Twitter telephone game thing?

e: lol, finally, the synergy of DV's red text/av and mine back-to-back

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FizFashizzle posted:

Her district is Charleston.

Abortion restriction is not a winning issue there.

On top of it all, her district is about to be redrawn again, after accusations of gerrymandering to avoid large portions of Charleston's black population

https://www.wbtw.com/news/politics/...-judges-decide/

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 10, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Everybody on libtwit tweeting as if Biden was actually going to violate a judge's order was pretty funny for a few days.

https://twitter.com/HHS_Spox/status/1645177489034039299?s=20

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It actually would be really, really bad if "court decisions are optional" became an established precedent and I don't think the reason why is particularly obscure. The problem here is that a judge made an insane ruling, not that other branches are subject to their decisions.

This ruling is not going to go into effect. Chudges don't have enough capture of the judiciary yet and this is going to be stayed by the appellate court, and I honestly doubt the SCOTUS even takes it up because it's so absurd. No need to jump on a "gently caress the courts!!!" grenade that probably won't even be necessary to keep the medication on the market.

e: I think it would be a pretty good idea to try to get the DOJ's action to establish some kind of precedent that a judge can't just overrule the decisions of executive agencies that have been given the authority, by Congress, to make those decisions. Is there a way to get that kind of outcome out of this case before all is said and done? Or is that already the precedent and the Judge just ignored it? IANAL

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 10, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus Biden can keep his hands clean, the FDA can choose to comply with the “don’t change the status quo” order while the White House appeals through proper channels

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mellow Seas posted:

I can't find anything that isn't on Twitter about Jeffries and Crow having any kind of interaction whatsoever. Is this some Twitter telephone game thing?

e: lol, finally, the synergy of DV's red text/av and mine back-to-back

Jeffries probably did have a talk at the place and will have done so knowing it's a venue of (potentially conservative) Texan business leaders-it may have been a fundraiser for Texas dems, since it's listed on the calendar as a district work period.

Mark Paoletta is a right winger, and the other people going to bat for Harlan Crow are, so far, similarly oriented hot take artists, National Review types, etc. It's likely they represent elements of his broader personal network. It's flak, and not very good flak.

From the images I've seen of Crow's garden floating around online, I think it's more likely he's an America First-style racist ultranationalist than a direct Nazi - the "dictator garden" seems to be primarily old communist statues arranged to try to evoke a "graveyard of ideas" thing. He's got a separate set of very clearly venerated busts of Italian Renaissance figures, in case you had any illusions about his eurocentric chauvinism.

The Nazi memorobilia is more suspect, but from past coverage that was the source of the current coverage, it's on the Germany wall of his "here's everything I've been able to buy or steal relating to World War 2" room.

edit: lmao, here's a video of Old Parkland, which is as ridiculous and kitsch as you can imagine. And you'll never guess who's in it!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 10, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Right, to be clear I'm not saying Jeffries is owned by Harlan Crow too, I'm saying the bloodless ghouls are trying to launder crow's freakishness as bipartisan

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OK, seems like you are calling Paoletta a bloodless ghoul and not Jeffries (although IMO and probably yours too Jeffries himself is not entirely full of blood or 100% not-undead.) Sorry to have misread it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
why can't people believe that this billionaire who supports republican, fascists, and collect nazi memorabilia is a good person? in my personal experience with him he's been nothing but polite!

edit: can't buy budweiser because they support the anti-straight gay woke agenda! also i need to save that money for more nazi memorabilia.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 10, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mellow Seas posted:

It actually would be really, really bad if "court decisions are optional" became an established precedent and I don't think the reason why is particularly obscure. The problem here is that a judge made an insane ruling, not that other branches are subject to their decisions.

This ruling is not going to go into effect. Chudges don't have enough capture of the judiciary yet and this is going to be stayed by the appellate court, and I honestly doubt the SCOTUS even takes it up because it's so absurd. No need to jump on a "gently caress the courts!!!" grenade that probably won't even be necessary to keep the medication on the market.

e: I think it would be a pretty good idea to try to get the DOJ's action to establish some kind of precedent that a judge can't just overrule the decisions of executive agencies that have been given the authority, by Congress, to make those decisions. Is there a way to get that kind of outcome out of this case before all is said and done? Or is that already the precedent and the Judge just ignored it? IANAL

Yeah, democrats don't want to open pandora's box of ignoring rulings they don't like. Because if they do it sure as hell Republicans would. Then again, Republicans don't really seem all that concerned with norms and decorum, so they might just ignore a ruling in the future they really don't like.

I also agree that its unlikely this court decision gets upheld. Most likely its going to swim for years in the various court dockets with the stay in place to help motivate people to vote republican. I've always believed that over turning Roe was like the dog catching a chased car. They didn't _really_ want it overturned because it was such a great motivator, but they painted themselves into a box where eventually it was forced on them. Now they are facing a pretty big voter backlash from dems who are super motives and 'independents' who are pissed off. Rulings like the one from last Friday are a nightmare to the establishment GOP because it is so indefensible, but they are forced to defend it.

However, the judge in Washington threw a monkeywrench into the idea of having this float around in various courts as there is now a conflict. I would imagine that in a few months both the 5th and 9th appeals make contradictory rulings and the SC will be forced to take a stand. I would like to believe that the Texas case gets overturned on some technical grounds such as standing on a 5-4 decision, with Kavanaugh joining Roberts with the three liberals.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cimber posted:

Yeah, democrats don't want to open pandora's box of ignoring rulings they don't like. Because if they do it sure as hell Republicans would. Then again, Republicans don't really seem all that concerned with norms and decorum, so they might just ignore a ruling in the future they really don't like.

Yes, correct. I have mixed feelings about "ignore court rulings you don't like" but in any event the Democrats should not worry about opening that particular P-Box for fear of what the GOP might do because they're gonna do whatever the gently caress they want.

It's the exact same logic with the filibuster. "We can't get rid of it, think of what the Republicans will do!" Yeah, they'll get rid of it next time they have a federal trifecta.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What happened to the judge in Washington who ruled that the FDA can't restrict access? How does that play into setting precedent?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

What happened to the judge in Washington who ruled that the FDA can't restrict access? How does that play into setting precedent?

It's a thing that happened, but everyone would rather get a stay than play the Dueling Court Orders minigame.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cimber posted:

Yeah, democrats don't want to open pandora's box

Which is why they, and we, are hopeless.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't understand this idea that the GOP cares about precedent.

Not saying that we should overrule this judge or whatever, but if it was the opposite situation would they hesitate?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Byzantine posted:

Which is why they, and we, are hopeless.

When one side respects customs and norms, and the other does not its not a great thing for the side that wants to remain on the moral high ground. Some hardball is expected and needed, but a win at all costs mentality can do serious long term damage to the system.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Taking the moral high ground and respecting the rule of law and all that is not at all the same thing as "if we do this then they'll use it against us" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Clarste posted:

I don't understand this idea that the GOP cares about precedent.

Not saying that we should overrule this judge or whatever, but if it was the opposite situation would they hesitate?

When courts rule against Republicans, typically they do indeed accept it. They come back for a new approach rather than giving up forever, but that's different. And they especially don't just ignore the courts when following procedure gets the same result.