Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Brawl in the Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Bybloemen

Ever seen a dog try to extort a devil before?

Emzedoh posted:

fig. a: a young, trusting individual untouched by years of service industry work.

fig. b: a very bad person.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

I don't know if this scheme has been thought all the way through.

Anyway,

Ditocoaf, it was you who was feeling frustrated by the lack of plot progression in SDM before, right? Feeling any better now?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

Ditocoaf, it was you who was feeling frustrated by the lack of plot progression in SDM before, right? Feeling any better now?

In the post you're referring to, I struggled to express myself, and I don't think I ended up getting there.

It was more... I was frustrated about the flow of conversation in the comic feeling unnatural to me -- like, I couldn't get a sense of anyone's state of mind based on their visible reactions to things, which didn't seem to follow (in a way I could empathize with) from one line of dialog to the reply. And I guessed that their behavior might be explained by the need to slow the plot down, and so that's what my post seemed to be about.

I mostly got over it as I got used to this comic's style (I stopped trying to put myself in anyone's shoes as much, and just enjoyed the general tone and the visible personalities). Even by the time I posted about it, I was talking about something I mostly felt several chapters earlier! The post started as me wanting to compliment the comic for the fact that I could instantly guess who bought which drink when the waiter brought them.

But what I also wanted to express was, that alien feeling I was getting from the dialogue always included doubt: "am I just failing at reading this scene?" Even just from a cultural barrier, or genre barrier, or something like that. Though actually, as we've started to know Yuuyake better, I can mostly follow her reactions lately, which helps.

E: And to be clear, I've been happy reading SDM the whole time and I'm glad you're posting it. It's one of those situations where I spend a lot of words on something because I'm trying to figure out how to put it into words, not because it's a proportionally big deal.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Apr 10, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

this time: three pages, three different groups of characters!

hell yeah visual gags

i didn't really get what the mime was doing in my first read but it's basically the "I've got something in my pocket for you -> reach into your pocket and pull out your middle finger" which seems obvious to me now as I'm reading it slower with the thread instead of blowing through it all at once.

how to date your teacher (what is this, persona?)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

In the post you're referring to, I struggled to express myself, and I don't think I ended up getting there.

It was more... I was frustrated about the flow of conversation in the comic feeling unnatural to me -- like, I couldn't get a sense of anyone's state of mind based on their visible reactions to things, which didn't seem to follow (in a way I could empathize with) from one line of dialog to the reply. And I guessed that their behavior might be explained by the need to slow the plot down, and so that's what my post seemed to be about.

I mostly got over it as I got used to this comic's style (I stopped trying to put myself in anyone's shoes as much, and just enjoyed the general tone and the visible personalities). Even by the time I posted about it, I was talking about something I mostly felt several chapters earlier! The post started as me wanting to compliment the comic for the fact that I could instantly guess who bought which drink when the waiter brought them.

But what I also wanted to express was, that alien feeling I was getting from the dialogue always included doubt: "am I just failing at reading this scene?" Even just from a cultural barrier, or genre barrier, or something like that. Though actually, as we've started to know Yuuyake better, I can mostly follow her reactions lately, which helps.

E: And to be clear, I've been happy reading SDM the whole time and I'm glad you're posting it. It's one of those situations where I spend a lot of words on something because I'm trying to figure out how to put it into words, not because it's a proportionally big deal.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure we've all been there. I do think you made a fair point about Shinozaki being kind of... incurious about his situation and the magical world reveal. I think the guy is suffering a bit from Main Character syndrome, where your lead character tends to be a bit light on characterisation in order to allow readers to self-insert a little. He certainly seems very content to go along with the flow and follow his doctor's orders. On the other hand, maybe his main role is to get dumped on.

Anyway, I can actually think of two Watsonian reasons for Shinozaki's behaviour:

A: He's just kind of thick. I think another character comments at one point, human repositories have a bit of a reputation for being a bit air headed?

Or, my favourite,

B: He's just so disappointed in the whimsical candy floss nature of the magical world, he's given up on learning more about it. Shinozaki thought he was in for some proper high fantasy, ended up in tomato pasta dragon world.

Likely? No, he's just a well meaning goober. I'd think it'd be funny, though.

As for Yuuyake, she's just all in on machines.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Finale

quote:

Revenge of the Felines

Alt: He's had worse, believe me

quote:

Pity the covetous, for their wealth will turn to dust;

Pity the unrighteous, for their words will not be heard;

Pity the wicked, for their deeds will turn into daggers and plunge into their own chests;

They shall be bound with fetters and crushed under the great stones of their own evil.

Pity the Dragon and Venerate the Count! IA!

Funny, I never noticed or properly appreciated Felicia's whiskers until now, but they're there!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that kitty looks like my kitty

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats one lucky cat

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats one two lucky cats

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Guess i have a new favorite character now

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hey, it's the famous twitter man!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
And here I thought that TenguMan's weakness was ice.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hup.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ditocoaf posted:

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy is at the top of my list of "comics in this thread I didn't have time to keep up with when they started here, but look like something I'd enjoy as soon as I can get around to the backlog, which is already gigantic somehow".

It's never too late to start, imho, but I suppose I'm biased. I think from the beginning to where we're at now it's a pretty quick read. The backlog ain't gettin' any smaller, I can tell you that much.

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RICE BOY

It's Exposition the Chapter today

wow gently caress you Parod

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mr boop
book 1, 16-20
https://mrboop.net/

things come to a head

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, all's well that ends well! Good to know nothing could come between Alec Robbins and his wife, Betty Boop

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a comic for sensible grown-ups.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: With the fight officially in full swing, the two exchange blows! Joseph Joseph Joseph tries stabbing the Columnist with a knife to send heroin into his body, but the Columnist's body wraps around the blade like rubber! Joseph Joseph Joseph goes for a kick to the eyes(???)!

Read right to left:

un-timg'ing this one cuz it's a good spread

The end! No moral.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Apr 10, 2023

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Touhou Peanuts

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

puhe = speech
puhe = discussion topic (informal; used pretty much exactly like "the talk" in phrases like "the talk on the street is...")
(calling something "4-grain" refers to 4 different grain types being used as ingredients, and it's a fairly common feature here to market a grain product as being moderately health-conscious)
EDIT: Duh, I forgot the rest, thanks Valiantman!

quote:

puuro = porridge

puuroinen = slurred, grainy, unclear

Puhe on puuroista = The talk is about porridges
Puhe on puuroista = Speech is slurred.

ANSU

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

65 - Hirdkvi and Lirk
66 - Fruit tree
67 - Stomping
68 - Feet

69 - To not patronize you

70 - Toquapp

71 - Password

Thoughts about alien sex: 2
Alien species seen: 12
:biotruths:: 2
Talking character deaths: 1
Deaths overall: 22

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Apr 10, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I remember these guys

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

puhe = speech
puhe = discussion topic (informal; used pretty much exactly like "the talk" in phrases like "the talk on the street is...")
(calling something "4-grain" refers to 4 different grain types being used as ingredients, and it's a fairly common feature here to market a grain product as being moderately health-conscious)

puuro = porridge

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In this batch of Van von Hunter, continuity rears its ugly head

A Maze of Clouds
Sep 15, 2022
Why is ANSU always about music?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

Ok this is good enough that i couldn't resist.

Lovely volumes, recommended! Only the night scenes are a bit too dark in print.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

"Inexplicable Humblebrag" posted:

I wish more comics were as wholesome as this one. The industry could really learn a lot from this.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is this how you cut a trailer?

https://bobapearlessence.com/assets/Teaser.mp4

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Valiantman posted:

puuro = porridge

Oh dang, my train of thought was interrupted by pondering about how to translate "puhe" and I forgot to add the rest. Thanks, I added in your description.

A Maze of Clouds posted:

Why is ANSU always about music?
This book seems to be divided by theme, so we'll move to a different topic eventually!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

hell yes boba HLEL yes

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Literally All I Do All Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU