Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Blotto_Otter posted:

"I realize that when accountants say a company is 'unauditable', they usually just mean that its books are a total mess and it's not feasible for them to fix or reconstruct the books in a reasonable amount of time or at a reasonable expense, so I want to make it clear: it would be literally impossible to audit us, we often didn't keep books at all, and we could not even begin to reconstruct the books because we often just didn't keep records at all. What did we record, you ask? This statement, wherein I, Sam Bankman-Fried, am now recording, in writing, just how frequently we did not keep a record of things"

I've legit seen frat houses with a better system of accounting for beer and pizza funds, usually via a big jar full of loose change and a whiteboard covered in names, amounts and drawings of dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Didn't this fucker graduate from MIT? And had previous trading experience? How the gently caress does someone like that screw up this bad?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Didn't this fucker graduate from MIT? And had previous trading experience? How the gently caress does someone like that screw up this bad?

“Screw up” implies that this person endeavoured to actually create and run a functional exchange and investment fund and just failed, what they were actually trying to do was set up a massive grift in order to get free money to enrich themselves and make a million speculative bets with the financial logic of “I’ve bought so many lottery tickets I can’t lose” and they succeeded at that spectacularly.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Boxturret posted:

Watch Sam keep books so poorly he gets the guillotine.

Oh hell, SBF is just Todd

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I sent this to my gf who is an accountant and she responded with a long string of profanity

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Glumslinger posted:

I sent this to my gf who is an accountant and she responded with a long string of profanity

I picture all accountants as that one sniveling Michael Palin character from Monty Python so this is an extremely funny image.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

you know sometimes i leave $20 in one of my jacket pocket that i later find and its like a little treat. kinda the same deal

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

The Glumslinger posted:

“Sometimes find 50m laying around, such is life” is an amazing sentence. What a loving imbecile.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Talorat posted:

“Sometimes find 50m laying around, such is life” is an amazing sentence. What a loving imbecile.

I wish my life was that such!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Talorat posted:

remember that 50 mil might have been investor money, customer deposits, tom brady's money, profits from trades.

Its not like hes a vanderbilt who has no idea how much money he had.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Talorat posted:

a lost 50 million which he recovered! :smithicide:

But all of this clearly easy inflationary infinity money ftx did couldn't possibly cause inflation, right?

Back to my experiences at the foreign Crypto exchange I worked at before it blew up, before I realized I needed to exit crypto: they went through at least 2 if not 3 sets of lawyers while I was there. I can't help but expect it was exactly this sort of scenario, where the ceo was going "this is fine" and the lawyers book it out the door running away.
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1645203878412001285

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
50 mil such is life holy poo poo I want to swirly that dude into Narnia

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My only consolation is that it’s pretty clear at this point that there’s no way SBF gets away with this. They’re going to make an example of him.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Talorat posted:

My only consolation is that it’s pretty clear at this point that there’s no way SBF gets away with this. They’re going to make an example of him.

How do you define getting away with it? He will still be filthy rich with his hidden crypto wallets after he gets released from prison.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I picture all accountants as that one sniveling Michael Palin character from Monty Python so this is an extremely funny image.

I wish my girlfriend was Michael Palin.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

BoldFace posted:

How do you define getting away with it? He will still be filthy rich with his hidden crypto wallets after he gets released from prison.

The only way he's getting out of prison is if he's a tortoise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BoldFace posted:

He hosed rich people. They're going to put him in jail longer than murderers. Reminder that Bernie Madoff got 150 years. That's well into "is a serial killer" as far as sentencing goes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

BoldFace posted:

He'll get at least Elizabeth Holmes years in jail, the question is how many more than that. Probably a lot because of his extensive mycrimes.txt documents

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Lammasu posted:

The only way he's getting out of prison is if he's a tortoise.

He will spend ten years in some lofty white collar Manhattan prison, and that'll be it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

BoldFace posted:

He will spend ten years in some lofty white collar Manhattan prison, and that'll be it.

As said previously, Madoff got 150 years. Also, he's spent his entire time of probation incriminating himself. I don't think he could even survive a minimum security prison. SBF can just not shut up. He'd get shanked in the first week.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BoldFace posted:

maybe this is the timeline where a gamma ray burst and a Coronal mass ejection hit the earth at the same time and fry and emps everything on the earth('s surface, also all life gets either a lethal dose of rads or cancer)

so the only wallets left are the ones thrown into the ocean and in that landfill.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

He hosed rich people. They're going to put him in jail longer than murderers. Reminder that Bernie Madoff got 150 years. That's well into "is a serial killer" as far as sentencing goes.

Yeah even if Madoff had hidden assets, he stole them from people with enough clout to get him put away long enough to ensure he'd never get to enjoy them.

Seems like Bankman-Fried stole from a similar class of people.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Yeah remember, SBF wasn't just a bitcoiner robbing bitcoiners, FTX bought stadium naming rights and super bowl commercials with big name actors.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah even if Madoff had hidden assets, he stole them from people with enough clout to get him put away long enough to ensure he'd never get to enjoy them.

Seems like Bankman-Fried stole from a similar class of people.

I have a client that cashed a new check this past year from the Madoff Victims Fund, which (per a glance at its website just now) has apparently recovered 88% percent of losses for "eligible victims" after 15 or so years.

and now I'm happily looking forward to reading about Tom Brady receiving another random $46 check in 2037 for the then-current market value of 2.17 bitcoins

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here, a handy flow chart for how hosed you are if you commit financial crimes.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

interesting. and if one were to pursue some of this hypothetical financial crime against poor people, how would one best go about? asking for a friend.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

interesting. and if one were to pursue some of this hypothetical financial crime against poor people, how would one best go about? asking for a friend.

Start a business, commit rampant wage theft. Tons of other ways but that's probably the easiest. Bonus if you're screwing over undocumented workers who won't even think about going to the police.

Or just run of the mill scams. Run grindset seminars. Get old ladies to send you apple gift cards because you're pretending to be their grandkid who needs to pay bail and doesn't want to tell mom.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Can you keep a straight face while saying "President Trump needs your help" on Tiktok?

Alternately, do you own Amazon?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

a thing I find funny is, SBF steal-stealing from the rich was probably unnecessary for him to get personally rich. If he were slightly smarter and more patient, he could've just ripped off a lot of rich people the legal way: by being really good at investor storytime! he clearly had an ability to talk venture capitalists and wannabe investors into giving him oodles of money for no good reason, he could've been the next Travis Kalanick or Adam Neumann if he just had a little more self-control and was willing to do it all in the open and take a smaller cut instead of immediately plundering every available cent for MOBA microtransactions and NFL game pass subscriptions

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BoldFace posted:

lmao, "filthy rich with crypto."

In the imaginary world where it's easy to withdraw crypto into being real money and assuming that it's not just worth wooden nickels by the time he gets out anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finding 50 million in the couch cushions and buying a pizza in celebration :capitalism:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I still dont get how buttcoin number owners even have power. like that number is like matter/energy that passes a blackholes event horizon. completely cutoff from the rest of the universe.

like I guess you can do transactions and exchanges with other dumbasses that traveled pass the EH with you, in this case crime orgs or secret orgs balance their books and accounts with each other?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Madoff's other problem was that he stole the money so overtly that it made the usually bulletproof rich guy defense of "oops money's all gone but for all you know I was just so stupid and incompetent that the outcome is indistinguishable from fraud, but you can't prove my intent, tee-hee" impossible. There's just no plausible deniability that you weren't doing it on purpose when you bought a yacht with investor funds and sent them fake transaction records that you created by hand yourself because you didn't trust underlings not to blow the whistle.

Based on SBF's hidden "Wire Fraud" teams channel, plus his interviews where he voluntarily admitted to all the elements of financial crimes, seems like he has a similar problem. You'd have to hope for a jury willing to entertain some pretty unreasonable doubts if you want to convince them you didn't know you were committing wire fraud when you were planning the wire fraud on your "Wire Fraud" channel.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 10, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

a thing I find funny is, SBF steal-stealing from the rich was probably unnecessary for him to get personally rich. If he were slightly smarter and more patient, he could've just ripped off a lot of rich people the legal way: by being really good at investor storytime! he clearly had an ability to talk venture capitalists and wannabe investors into giving him oodles of money for no good reason, he could've been the next Travis Kalanick or Adam Neumann if he just had a little more self-control and was willing to do it all in the open and take a smaller cut instead of immediately plundering every available cent for MOBA microtransactions and NFL game pass subscriptions
Hey you don't become history's first trillionaire by doing a safe boring grift like front-running your investors.

Take their money to the horse tracks baby, just gotta pick one winner and you're an instant finance megatitan. Don't worry about the losses, by the time anyone notices you'll have won so much you can secretly pay it back and none will be the wiser.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Blotto_Otter posted:

When doing a Ponzi, pay yourself first.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ponzician, grift thyself.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

I still dont get how buttcoin number owners even have power. like that number is like matter/energy that passes a blackholes event horizon. completely cutoff from the rest of the universe.

Its a trick of human psychology

money is just an abstraction of "value"

I was at a museum in California once and they had these native american baskets. they were really pretty with patterns on them and poo poo.

It was explained that these baskets werent really made for home use, but where made for trade the hours of work it took to make them so fancy gave them scarcity, Desirability and thus value.

I miss three phase and the OG bitcoin thread from a decade ago. It was alot of fun and we all kinda agreed bitcoin was solution looking for a problem.

Also SBF is just amazing at this point he could pull off his mask and be andy coffman back from the dead. Its like a huuge troll.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
riot quick to the punch with a loving awesome retort to the NYT FUD hit piece from yesterday

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...Falsehoods.html

Riot up 27% since it came out

Swing and a miss

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

You know the gimmick-posting was funny at first, but the joke's grown stale. You need a new schtick or to take a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

They say the best revenge is living well.

Maybe you crypto guys should get on that, at some point