Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Most spies are paid stupidly small amounts but 50 bux is a new low

They're civil servants so the base salary isn't great, but like all civil servants, they milk the per diem. And spies are always on per diem. Pension is pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Well you see boss I had to keep my cover as a Hungarian prince and you see... er no I don't think being a plumber would really work for the next job

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3694099-denmark-to-donate-100-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine.html
Let's go!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lmao russia is so scared that Ukraine will publicly own them that Kursk and Belgorod both canceled their Victory Day parades. That's like seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade get canceled lol. May 9 is arguably the most important holiday in the country (especially since Putin pivoted to focus on it so much in his nationalistic jingoism)

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/04/10/7397172/

Pravda posted:

Russia's Kursk and Belgoros cancel 9 May parade so as not to 'provoke' Ukraine

The governors of two Russian regions bordering Ukraine have decided to cancel military parades on 9 May in order "not to provoke the enemy" by creating clusters of soldiers and equipment.

Source: Kremlin-aligned news outlet RBC, quoting Roman Starovoyt, the governor of Kursk Oblast, and Vyacheslav Gladkov, the governor of Belgorod Oblast; Russian Telegram channel ASTRA

Details: It is reported that Kursk will not hold a parade on 9 May "for security reasons".

According to Starovoyt, this is due to the position of the region's operational headquarters, which decided to enhance anti-terrorism measures last week.

The parade in Belgorod was also cancelled.

Quote from Gladkov: "I can tell you now that there will be no parade in order not to provoke the enemy with a large number of vehicles and soldiers in the centre of Belgorod."

More details: According to the governor, the matter of the salute and the procession of the "Immortal Regiment" [a Russian custom to honour their fallen soldiers who fought in the WWII, typically observed on 9 May – ed.] will be considered at the next meeting of the operational staff and a decision will be made based on security issues.

It's also a great way to say that you can't have a military parade because you literally don't have all the vehicles and poo poo you need for a military parade anymore

Also, there was a smoking accident at a military equipment warehouse balloon explosion at a spare parts warehouse in Moscow:

https://twitter.com/Lyla_lilas/status/1645431249916289025

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 10, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait why are the winners not doing their victory parade? I thought all the HIMARS were destroyed and Ukraine was on the ropes?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Professional Russian Thing Burner-Downer is 2023's best new job title.

Godspeed you little cigarette stubs and now also... balloons..

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait why are the winners not doing their victory parade? I thought all the HIMARS were destroyed and Ukraine was on the ropes?

When you won so hard you actually lost :sad:

Burns
May 10, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Professional Russian Thing Burner-Downer is 2023's best new job title.

Godspeed you little cigarette stubs and now also... balloons..

China strikes at last!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe they're tired of winning?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well well well, now that's an interesting turn of events

https://www.thejournal.ie/ukraine-farmers-seed-potatoes-6040657-Apr2023/

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Karma Comedian posted:

Ukraine better watch out, more reinforcements otw

https://youtu.be/1ncVfI7_cRE

(Link is work safe)

:stare: am I seeing this right? the driver can only be turned out/exit the vehicle through their hatch if the turret is pointing straight back?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Let history show that this was day one of the future PATO alliance.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
LMFAO there's no way they're actually sending an Object-279 prototype. There can't be. They only made three of them back in 1959, but jesus loving christ the wiki confirms they got the one working model from the Kubinka Tank Museum operational and running in late 2022

lmao my balls

E: here's why they abandoned the prototype:

- weighed 60 tons

- an edict came down from Khrushchev that limited maximum size for heavy tanks to be less than 37 tons

- khrushchev himself preferred guided-missile tanks like the IT-1

- tank was too heavy to cross the USSR's own bridges

- the running gears would shred themselves when shifting and the gearbox tended to deconstruct itself in unplanned spectcular fashion

- tank turned like a boat

- sank in every swamp trial

- somehow the most expensive prototype tank to be produced by the USSR

- they couldn't find a way to make it shorter than 8 feet, 8 inches

total failtank

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 10, 2023

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Runa posted:

it always comes back to anime

anime was a mistake. It gave us ADTRWH, which gave us 4chan, which gave us anon, which meme's donald trump into office, anime is russia weapon of mass distruction.

Offer a man a cat boy and see what happens.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think it's great that they're restoring that piece of poo poo and not anything else.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HonorableTB posted:

LMFAO there's no way they're actually sending an Object-279 prototype. There can't be. They only made three of them back in 1959, but jesus loving christ the wiki confirms they got the one working model from the Kubinka Tank Museum operational and running in late 2022

Yes but on the other hand the Object 279(e) is one of the most broken tanks in World of Tanks, and therefore it must be amazing in real life as well. The company that gave the Soviet Union the best navy in the world wouldn't lie to us, would it?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Karate Bastard posted:

I think it's great that they're restoring that piece of poo poo and not anything else.

Just wait until they get desperate enough to loot the Kubinka museum.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes but on the other hand the Object 279(e) is one of the most broken tanks in World of Tanks, and therefore it must be amazing in real life as well. The company that gave the Soviet Union the best navy in the world wouldn't lie to us, would it?

lmao when someone posts classified docs on the 279 on the war thunder forums

zone posted:

Just wait until they get desperate enough to loot the Kubinka museum.

the only operational Object-279 is at Kubinka hahaha

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HonorableTB posted:

lmao russia is so scared that Ukraine will publicly own them that Kursk and Belgorod both canceled their Victory Day parades. That's like seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade get canceled lol. May 9 is arguably the most important holiday in the country (especially since Putin pivoted to focus on it so much in his nationalistic jingoism)

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/04/10/7397172/

It's also a great way to say that you can't have a military parade because you literally don't have all the vehicles and poo poo you need for a military parade anymore

Also, there was a smoking accident at a military equipment warehouse balloon explosion at a spare parts warehouse in Moscow:

https://twitter.com/Lyla_lilas/status/1645431249916289025

Imagine building up such a passionate image of your country being so strong and manly and taking no poo poo from anybody, and then you call off one of your biggest holidays because it might "provoke" the nation you illegally invaded and are getting your rear end handed to by.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol at a tank that has a fetching peplum

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

just look at it lol

look at this piece of poo poo lmao

it looks like a boonie hat and i cant unsee it

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Imagine being the poor fucker who has to work on the suspension.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

just look at it lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

just look at it lol

Someone Photoshop it so one side of the 'brim' is pinned to the turret

Vakal
May 11, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

just look at it lol

That poor concrete floor.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vakal posted:

That poor concrete floor.

lmao i didnt notice that until you pointed it out. The spalling is quite impressive for a stationary museum piece (i think this was taken before it was made operational again)

e: also the goddamn thing is 60 tons lol

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1644520608124882944

lmao what

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The fedora of tanks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

lmao my balls

E: here's why they abandoned the prototype:

- weighed 60 tons

- an edict came down from Khrushchev that limited maximum size for heavy tanks to be less than 37 tons

- khrushchev himself preferred guided-missile tanks like the IT-1

- tank was too heavy to cross the USSR's own bridges

- the running gears would shred themselves when shifting and the gearbox tended to deconstruct itself in unplanned spectcular fashion

- tank turned like a boat

- sank in every swamp trial

- somehow the most expensive prototype tank to be produced by the USSR

- they couldn't find a way to make it shorter than 8 feet, 8 inches

total failtank

Somewhere there are Russian engineers trying to fit an engine in a Maus hull captured in 1944.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Somewhere there are Russian engineers trying to fit an engine in a Maus hull captured in 1944.

That "somewhere" would also happen to be Kubinka :v:

(Said Maus would also need just about everything else reinstalled too, it's a big steel husk.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

just look at it lol

:wtc:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

That rounded hull would be very good though, it would have a much better chance of deflecting or increasing the effective armour thickness.

The downside is that making that piece of poo poo would probably be entirely welded and fabricated and take 10 times as long as a rectangular tank would.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drone_Fragger posted:

That rounded hull would be very good though, it would have a much better chance of deflecting or increasing the effective armour thickness.

The downside is that making that piece of poo poo would probably be entirely welded and fabricated and take 10 times as long as a rectangular tank would.

AFAIK The "brim" is just thin panelling bolted onto a more conventional hull to provide protection against shaped charge weapons. I don't think it would do much against kinetic penetrators.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jesus would have operated a TOS-1 but the Romans had other ideas

Jesus believes in MLRS Without borders.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

AFAIK The "brim" is just thin panelling bolted onto a more conventional hull to provide protection against shaped charge weapons. I don't think it would do much against kinetic penetrators.

lmao okay that's like the one good thing I can see on that tank and like everything to do with russia's military equipment it turns out to be a cope cage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Let history show that this was day one of the future PATO alliance.

I'm tired of hearing this war framed as Russia vs Tayto.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Disco Pope posted:

I'm tired of hearing this war framed as Russia vs Tayto.

“Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew”

- Russian Officer’s Handbook excerpt on the proper management of mobliks under one’s command.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The real reason this wretched war began - A disagreement over if potato's should be made into vodka, or into crisps.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

The real reason this wretched war began - A disagreement over if potato's should be made into vodka, or into crisps.

sweden: *starts pelting everyone with servings of palt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Poutine is a curd.