Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

To be fair, I don't think Daruk's Protection is terrible; It is good to have, but it is definitely the lesser of the Champion powers.

Anyway I got shrines to a nice even number (108), so I am off to Hyrule Castle tomorrow to get that last Memory and beat up Ganon.

Heads up, once you’ve retrieved the last Memory in the Castle, assuming that means you’ve found all 12, dip out of the castle and head back to Impa to get the clue for the hidden 13th memory :) getting it before you finish nets you a bonus post-credits scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hmmyes:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Martman posted:

it would have been cooler if daruk's power let you roll down mountains like a goron and do a bunch of damage if you build up enough speed or something

That would be great, I did use it sometimes for an operation dumbo drop when I wanted to touch grass from a high place really fast. If you time the protection when you land you won't die lol

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But you can just deploy the glider just before hitting the ground

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well obviously they Khanstant to do it like a normal person

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

I learned today you can stasis guardians. Learned this because I use stasis to pick out harvestables and a stalker came into view. Here I thought I got gud doing a master playthrough. Very easy to deleg stalkers.

However, it's way less badass than my other method of open-field stalker kills: dodge lasers until I can use fire to fly up (no beasts yet) then crash down onto a leg. Once one legs gone it's over.

Lynels though ugh. It's just a slog.

For a fun surprise, go the the Hyrule Castle grounds (outside of the giant doors) and stasis a Guardian and watch what happens!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kassad posted:

But you can just deploy the glider just before hitting the ground

You can but I gotta go fast

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

For a fun surprise, go the the Hyrule Castle grounds (outside of the giant doors) and stasis a Guardian and watch what happens!

please tell me what happens

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Does anyone remember when the official guidebook for BOTW came out? I have a hard bound copy I’ve been using on my replay and I totally want the same for TOTK. I looked on Amazon the other day and didn’t see a pre order

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Revali's Gale is the only one I care about, whenever it's not charged I'm asking "Where's Revali's Gale?"

I just did the Vah Noboris camel demon dungeon and I agree.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What happens? I just started my work week so I won't play for a bit.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

What happens? I just started my work week so I won't play for a bit.
https://v.redd.it/kwx938z0img51/DASH_720.mp4?source=fallback

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Heads up, once you’ve retrieved the last Memory in the Castle, assuming that means you’ve found all 12, dip out of the castle and head back to Impa to get the clue for the hidden 13th memory :) getting it before you finish nets you a bonus post-credits scene

Had to look up the exact location for that 13th one, which was incredibly annoying since I knew the general location.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just remembering I might not have done the DLC. Lol I still have new Zelda to get to before new zelda

edit: who the hell de-charged my controllers?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 10, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How hard is Trial of the Sword if I'm only okay at combat, is it like "You can cheese your way through a little, might take a few tries" or is it "don't even bother?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Trial of the Sword isn't too hard overall. I think the second batch is the most difficult, especially the first few floors. I'd recommend cooking a 30 minute attack up recipe and turning your sensor on to search for Treasure Chests.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

How hard is Trial of the Sword if I'm only okay at combat, is it like "You can cheese your way through a little, might take a few tries" or is it "don't even bother?"

Read through a room by room guide and give it a shot. The hardest rooms are the early Lizalfos rooms around like 11 or 12 I think. After that it gets easier. The final challenges can be cheeses with ancient arrows if you’re following the guides which point out where to get them.

All that said, yea it’s hard and you will curse if you gently caress it up in late room before the checkpoint.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Make yourself a thirty-minute defense or murder meal, before entering, whichever you're feeling the most lacking on.

Shiekah slate set to Detect Chests all day, every day.

Immediately crouch upon entering a room; this will give you time to see what you're up against before it detects you. Ideally, this is when you should eat food.

Never eat in a room where everything is dead. There are safe rooms, where you can restock and cook, and you will be annoyed if you do some panic healing and scarf down some raw buffing food just before you hit one.

Rock-Hard Food is still a quarter heart. If you're sufficiently desperate, you can bomb trees, and cook the lumber if you find a cookpot.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 10, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

maltesh posted:

Rock-Hard Food is still a quarter heart. If you're sufficiently desperate, you can bomb trees, and cook the lumber if you find a cookpot.

Lol this is why the thread title was about eating trees for like a full year

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/HyrulePix/status/1644694460377313281

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Trial honestly gets easier as you go since the "hardest" set gives you the most to work with, especially if you detect and get all the chests. You can nab some ancient arrows and just skip some later hard floors.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Since Link canonically can and enjoys eating rocks, wood seems like no biggie other than splinters.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And that is BotW done and dusted, 6 years after the fact. Now to wait a month.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Unlucky7 posted:

And that is BotW done and dusted, 6 years after the fact. Now to wait a month.

That DLC dungeon is legit S-tier, not gonna lie.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Welp see ya later, weird spider robot.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

This has happened to me twice, with the guardian close to the Wasteland Tower and the one by the Shoqa Tatone shrine. I shot one bomb arrow at both of them and banished them to the shadow realm.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

LionArcher posted:

Does anyone remember when the official guidebook for BOTW came out? I have a hard bound copy I’ve been using on my replay and I totally want the same for TOTK. I looked on Amazon the other day and didn’t see a pre order

I could of sworn they announced the guidebook months in advance for BotW. That said, I've been checking with Piggyback and they haven't announced anything.

I wonder if guidebooks are an ancient relic now....

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

This has happened to me twice, with the guardian close to the Wasteland Tower and the one by the Shoqa Tatone shrine. I shot one bomb arrow at both of them and banished them to the shadow realm.
Guardians just have a "gently caress this poo poo I'm outta here" subroutine, it seems.

https://i.imgur.com/TVsa0B9.mp4

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i'm replaying Ocarina of Time for the first time in literally 20 years and it's wild how much little kid me thought beating the Deku Tree dungeon was such an incredible moment when it took me 10 minutes this time around. back then it felt like i had conquered something massive. kids are dumb!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

epic bacon posted:

i'm replaying Ocarina of Time for the first time in literally 20 years and it's wild how much little kid me thought beating the Deku Tree dungeon was such an incredible moment when it took me 10 minutes this time around. back then it felt like i had conquered something massive. kids are dumb!!!

Few of the dungeons really hold up as epic moments aside from the Forest Temple.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hot Take, OOT isnt really that great. It was at the time, but it doesnt really hold up

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hotter Take, the fundamentals of OoT are still incredibly strong and it has a ton of great choices in the dungeons. The only weakness is that I've played it dozens of times.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hot Take, OOT isnt really that great. It was at the time, but it doesnt really hold up

Well that's why they made Majora's Mask, the best Zelda game ever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: Twilight Princess is the much more refined and modern OoT. It feels more modern than Skyward Sword.

OoT is like most late 90’s games where they were cool at the time but are clunky and cumbersome now.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

glassyalabolas posted:

I wonder if guidebooks are an ancient relic now....

Yeah, books were replaced by TikTok dances about 2 years ago

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Ocarina of Time took that long to start feeling its age, that still puts it in elite company.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hot take: Twilight Princess is the much more refined and modern OoT. It feels more modern than Skyward Sword.

OoT is like most late 90’s games where they were cool at the time but are clunky and cumbersome now.

I don't know about refined but Twilight Princess was the first time I played a Zelda game and then never did a 2nd replay to get 100% because of how unnecessarily large and empty the game felt.

Skyward Sword was definitely worse, to the point where when replaying it several years later I didn't remember most of it so it at least felt new again, but that's not really a good thing.

Personally I would put Wind Waker as the GOAT in terms of 100% replayability.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I think OoT is still drat playable. If anything feels less than modern it's the structure and some of the more obtuse overworld puzzles (like feeding a fish to the whale to get it to open its mouth), but combat (while obviously less refined than anything nowadays) still just *works.*

It's no Super Mario 64 though, that is a game anyone can play today and agree that it's a GOAT contender, it's lost zero of its playability and fun in thirty years.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I don't think I would ever play OoT again without the QOL and enhancements from the 3DS version or Ship of Harkinian at the very least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pentyne posted:

I don't know about refined but Twilight Princess was the first time I played a Zelda game and then never did a 2nd replay to get 100% because of how unnecessarily large and empty the game felt.

Skyward Sword was definitely worse, to the point where when replaying it several years later I didn't remember most of it so it at least felt new again, but that's not really a good thing.

Personally I would put Wind Waker as the GOAT in terms of 100% replayability.

I'm a big WW fan there too, but I feel like Majora's Mask got it right - generally pretty tightly designed areas and a reasonable number of collectibles that actually do interesting things beyond increasing your health or whatever. That's the classic 3D one I've gone back to and done stuff beyond the main path the most.