Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm going to out and say it, mining being a huge mechanic is becoming a reason for me not to buy a farming game. I want to raise crops and have cute animal friends, not do your lovely Lttp roguelike that's here for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Natural 20 posted:

I'm going to out and say it, mining being a huge mechanic is becoming a reason for me not to buy a farming game. I want to raise crops and have cute animal friends, not do your lovely Lttp roguelike that's here for no good reason.

in the 3DS story of seasons games, mining was just glorified gathering points (which had their own issues wrt the randomness and need to save scum for the right materials), and the fans complained, but honestly after mineral town and olive town, it's like, man, give me back the glorified gathering points

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's just a bit like, why are we mining, why are hugely important materials here? Why is our farmer a prospector all of a sudden?

Like if a mine opened and I dunno you invest in the mine and it gives resources back passively, all good I guess, but what does this have to do with farming?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
While I want the opposite, more activities and gameplay variants to dive into, I do agree that I don't want to play any more lovely LttP rogue likes while mining.

Too many of them only have basic melee attacks, maybe some awkward ranged weapons. LttP makes combat work by designing puzzles and challenges and a wide variety of different tools and weapons, and enemies meant to interact in various ways with those tools, making deliberate encounters and spaces.

That perspective and movement limit is one of the hardest to make a fun combat system in, even in games based entirely around it, let alone as part of a gathering activity in a game that likely has vibes entirely counter to making a good roguelike combat side game. Which, cool for me and folks wanting a variety and challenge, but often these games are deliberately chill and easy, specifically avoiding sweaty components or making them extremely optional.

But if having combat fit the rest of a farm game means delivering the kind of combat stuff we've seen so far, I'd also prefer it not be there.

And no reason "combat" has to mean controlling your character and swinging a weapon/tool directionally. Gems of War is better combat than in Stardew and the like.

Especially since these games already have us swing tools at trees, the crops process is also identical -- does mining really need to be the same thing but with more gray blobs in a cave? Seems like there are many unexplored avenues for how to handle different resource gathering that fit the vibe and casual difficulty while still being engaging activities you can look forward to, not just chores and more of the same pick tool swing tool stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stardew lost me as soon as i realized how much time i'd have to spend in a mine doing the godawful combat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that's when I get bored in my playthrough, plus the annoying inventory juggling and limits, even with mods to expand inventory, just too much little crap, that are often full chores in and of themselves.

If mining and cracking geodes were a puzzle dragons or gems of War kinda puzzle actions about matching rocks to cascade for gems and artifacts, it would be a nice change of pace from swinging items at a grid space. Lot of competitors out there too that really needs something to stand out from eachother but unwilling to actually do anything about it.

I am skeptical of Haunted Chocolatier because I genuinely can't think of a game with that perspective of combat I would say is both good and something I enjoy playing. The best ones I can think of are good for what they are, but not great independently, and I suspect the inherent limits of the style are a ceiling on how good it can be.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I wouldn't say no to match 3 mining in a farming game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TurnipFritter posted:

I didn't really mind the second storyline requiring a lot of grind, because it made me actually do stuff, whereas the first storyline was like, every requirement was something I just had laying in a storage box somewhere. The Orichalcum grind for every high level thing was real bad though!

There were storylines? Those were all done quick. I’m talking achievements.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Khanstant posted:

While I want the opposite, more activities and gameplay variants to dive into, I do agree that I don't want to play any more lovely LttP rogue likes while mining.

And that's why I love the RF series - the combat is actually worth engaging in, and the weapon crafting allows for some silly bullshit. Hell, the fact that you can ride monsters and use their attacks opens up even more options.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dirk the Average posted:

And that's why I love the RF series - the combat is actually worth engaging in, and the weapon crafting allows for some silly bullshit. Hell, the fact that you can ride monsters and use their attacks opens up even more options.

:yeah:

More games need a reason to have combat and to use their crafting. The only other game I can think of that comes close was Fantasy Life for 3ds.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rynoto posted:

More games need a reason to have combat and to use their crafting. The only other game I can think of that comes close was Fantasy Life for 3ds.

Which is getting a sequel and I’m so unbelievably ammmpppeeeddddd.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just played like 4 hours of Disney Dreamlight valley and it’s pretty good and cute.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rynoto posted:

I loved Fantasy Life so loving much and I am beyond stoked that a new one is coming out later this year!

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

MarcusSA posted:

I just played like 4 hours of Disney Dreamlight valley and it’s pretty good and cute.

Agreed here. Wish there was a way to transfer my premium currency from the gamepass version to the steam one so I can play on the Steam Deck.

Have been having a blast with RF4s. Part of me wants to pick up RF5 on Steam but some of the comments say it is half-baked. Likely going to wait for the next sale to pick it up. I should be finished with RF4s by then.

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

I would often visit the local duck pond to contemplate life and consider which duck looked the most delicious.
Just came across this thread and now I'm curious which version of Story of Seasons I should pick up. I haven't played a farm sim since Harvest Moon 64 which was also my first experience with the genre. 11 year old me loved that game and played the crap out of it, and for some reason I thought the Harvest Moon games kind of died out long ago.

I have a Switch and PC, and it seems like the Mineral Town remake has been much better received than Olive Town generally. Is that the clear better choice? Does it matter much which platform I choose (aside from personal preference of having mobile capabilities vs being stuck at my PC)?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mechanically, rf5 is basically rf4 in 3d. i was hoping for more from it, but in the end even a middling rf game is still better than most other farming games.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FrontRowSeat posted:

Just came across this thread and now I'm curious which version of Story of Seasons I should pick up. I haven't played a farm sim since Harvest Moon 64 which was also my first experience with the genre. 11 year old me loved that game and played the crap out of it, and for some reason I thought the Harvest Moon games kind of died out long ago.

I have a Switch and PC, and it seems like the Mineral Town remake has been much better received than Olive Town generally. Is that the clear better choice? Does it matter much which platform I choose (aside from personal preference of having mobile capabilities vs being stuck at my PC)?

Start with Friends of Mineral Town. (100% estimate: 70 hours) If you dig it and want to ramp up your day to day struggle, then go play Pioneers of Olive Town (100% estimate: 120 hours). A Wonderful Life is also coming out this Summer.

You playing other games in the genre? You might like My Time at Portia (100+ Hours), Graveyard Keeper (60 hours), and Stardew Valley (hundreds of hours), of course.

I'd avoid any game on mobile. I play all of these games with an XBOX controller on a PC and it's very comfortable.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 9, 2023

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I hope they re-release Animal Parade on a modern system. The farming wasn't amazing but I loved the cute little silkworms and marrying that weird wizard guy who didn't tell you his name until you were married.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

HellOnEarth posted:

I hope they re-release Animal Parade on a modern system. The farming wasn't amazing but I loved the cute little silkworms and marrying that weird wizard guy who didn't tell you his name until you were married.

Yeah I'm perched for an Animal Parade remake.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FrontRowSeat posted:

Stardew Valley is the best chill farming game now. There is a little bit of combat in the mines, though.

If you really need the SoS brand name, I'd suggest starting with the Mineral Town remake. The dialogue is better and Olive Town introduced makers that run in real time which most people didn't enjoy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Richlove posted:

Agreed here. Wish there was a way to transfer my premium currency from the gamepass version to the steam one so I can play on the Steam Deck.

Have been having a blast with RF4s. Part of me wants to pick up RF5 on Steam but some of the comments say it is half-baked. Likely going to wait for the next sale to pick it up. I should be finished with RF4s by then.

For what it's worth I have been absolutely enthralled by RF5 for the last month...ish? However I'm not coming off of it straight from RF4. I finished that game like... last year or something? And I also haven't played RF4 special, only the original on 3DS. So my impression of 5 compared to 4 or 4 Special might be skewed, but I haven't really noticed anything being half baked in particular. Seems like a fine game to me. Some of the board requests are in a bit of a janky order, as some folks here have pointed out, but you can also have more than one of them active at a time (unless 4 Special lets you do that too) and you can cancel them with zero penalty if you suddenly realize you're not going to be able to fulfill one for awhile. Also the flower shop unlocks weirdly late for some reason? Those are the only things I've really noticed. All in all, the little QoL improvements make it worth the price of admission for me. Like being able to drop all your wood and stone into the bin at once, or auto-pickup of drops/wood/stone. A lot less mashing of buttons in general. Also the post-game dungeon is a lot less punishing than it is in RF4. Might be a downside if you think that makes the game too easy. I am garbage at the game so to me that just means I have a ghost of a chance of actually finishing the post-game, unlike Rune Prana which I burned out on after like, the first zone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd really like to play a version of the original SoS on steam or something. That was my absolute favourite but I think the Switch ended up coming out and I lost pace before I could finish up.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I dropped my pineapple earnings on some Crystals for my Farm Dragons and yeah holy poo poo why have I been dumping corn and speed gro on my fields like a goddamn peasant this whole time?!

I jacked up the growth speed and yield of my pineapple field and now suddenly my cooking level is at nearly 100, I've learned all the cooking recipes, and I've stopped making pineapple juice out of these dang things. I can't process them into juice fast enough! My shipping bin (fully upgraded) fills up before the next crop comes in! So I've just been shoving the dang things in there directly and they're still making GBS threads money at me. I'm sitting on nearly 10 million gold a week later and I only just learned the recipe for Gold Juice!

I'm rich!

Speaking of the Gold Juice, I'm on the quest to unlock Emery Flowers, which is the last ingredient I need to make it. When the quest says "harvest all crops" does it include giant versions? I really hope not and I'm just missing picking the gold cabbage or something that's going to come in soon...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

For what it's worth I have been absolutely enthralled by RF5 for the last month...ish? However I'm not coming off of it straight from RF4. I finished that game like... last year or something? And I also haven't played RF4 special, only the original on 3DS. So my impression of 5 compared to 4 or 4 Special might be skewed, but I haven't really noticed anything being half baked in particular. Seems like a fine game to me. Some of the board requests are in a bit of a janky order, as some folks here have pointed out, but you can also have more than one of them active at a time (unless 4 Special lets you do that too) and you can cancel them with zero penalty if you suddenly realize you're not going to be able to fulfill one for awhile. Also the flower shop unlocks weirdly late for some reason? Those are the only things I've really noticed. All in all, the little QoL improvements make it worth the price of admission for me. Like being able to drop all your wood and stone into the bin at once, or auto-pickup of drops/wood/stone. A lot less mashing of buttons in general. Also the post-game dungeon is a lot less punishing than it is in RF4. Might be a downside if you think that makes the game too easy. I am garbage at the game so to me that just means I have a ghost of a chance of actually finishing the post-game, unlike Rune Prana which I burned out on after like, the first zone.

Big thing about RF5 for me was the performance (don't play it on Switch if you have the opportunity), and that a lot of animations feels really slow and locked in. This is especially egregious with magic, where in RF4 you can animation cancel or move much sooner than in RF5. In RF5 it feels like you have to wait for your character to leisurely lower their arms and then you get to move.

That being said, game was fun, I did enjoy it, but I would recommend RF4 before RF5, and even RF3 over RF5 (it's getting a release later this year and has some extremely fun characters!).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's Important to note for peeps wanting to play RF5 that the PC performance is generally okay whereas the switch performance is abysmal

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah let me be clear: my frustration is entirely with the Switch version of the game, which runs like a turtle covered in molasses trying to climb a mountain.

The game didn't need to run like Breath of the Wild or anything, but it needed to run better than it currently does.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah let me be clear: my frustration is entirely with the Switch version of the game, which runs like a turtle covered in molasses trying to climb a mountain.

The game didn't need to run like Breath of the Wild or anything, but it needed to run better than it currently does.

Comparing RF5 to Monster Hunter Rise is an exercise in wondering how the hell Capcom is so good at optimizing performance.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Even without the performance issues on switch, Rune Factory 5 just looks bad from an art design standpoint. Like, compare and contrast with Rune Factory Frontier (from 13 years earlier!)

5 is still fun but it's really rough in a lot of ways.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dirk the Average posted:

Comparing RF5 to Monster Hunter Rise is an exercise in wondering how the hell Capcom is so good at optimizing performance.

RF5 uses unity and in general it seems switch games on unity run like rear end unless some serious work is put into optimization.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

Even without the performance issues on switch, Rune Factory 5 just looks bad from an art design standpoint. Like, compare and contrast with Rune Factory Frontier (from 13 years earlier!)

5 is still fun but it's really rough in a lot of ways.

Aha. This makes more sense. My only basis for comparison is with 4 on 3DS. Will definitely try out 3 Special when it's out!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Unless there's some weird brand loyalty involved, there's no reason not to play Stardew instead of HM/SoS if you haven't already. Especially if there's the nostalgia factor involved. Stardew is basically an improved version of the older games to the point where you can pick up a controller and get the core gameplay without any of the tutorials. While HM/SoS have to introduce new systems and gimmicks to justify new versions and sometimes they work, sometimes the don't.

I also had more fun with RF 4/5/3 than any recent main series game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I stopped touching Harvest Moon a long time ago--they had multiple opportunities to suck me back in but good god they lost the plot sometime around the start of the 3DS era for me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love Harvest Moon/SOS but the release schedule has always been like borderline shovelware tier

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
My biggest complaint with recent SoS games has been how long they take to just set you free. I haven't played Olive Town, but Trio of Towns took until Fall of the first year to unlock the third town and finish off the tutorials. Really appreciated how the FoMT remake, and presumably the AWL one, just get you into the action.

Recent HM games (as in, the Natsume made ones) I've never touched because they look bad overall.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I tried all of one Harvest Moon game (one of the DS ones). I fell off it when winter hit. It bored me to dang tears. On the flipside I love Stardew Valley to bits and have loved both Rune Factory games I've played (4 and 5) and would totally play any more entries in the series that got (re)released.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Been playing RF5 on and off. The days are just too long. I never thought I'd say that, but here I am. The day length of 5 is twice as long as 4 (time advances half as fast when unpaused). That's too much time messing around on the same day. Instead of feeling excited about what I'm going to get to do tomorrow, I'm worn out and ready to do anything else at the end of almost every RF5 day. Some games have a great, one-more-turn feel. RF5 has the opposite of that for me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just prefer SoS/RF’s cast over Stardew.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rf5 days have to be long so you can farm each boss for their rare drops every day. i was not a fan of that part.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

pseudodragon posted:

Unless there's some weird brand loyalty involved, there's no reason not to play Stardew instead of HM/SoS if you haven't already. Especially if there's the nostalgia factor involved. Stardew is basically an improved version of the older games to the point where you can pick up a controller and get the core gameplay without any of the tutorials. While HM/SoS have to introduce new systems and gimmicks to justify new versions and sometimes they work, sometimes the don't.

I also had more fun with RF 4/5/3 than any recent main series game.

I'm just not a huge fan of the art style. I just can't get into it as a result.

And like I kinda want the tutorials and introductions to everyone? I feel like it helps situate me. When I played Stardew I kinda just didn't really know what to do, ambled around a bit and then quit out because I didn't really know if I wanted to be fishing, getting crops or going and playing LTTP in the mines.

I didn't really feel like I knew what I wanted to progress or how to do it, or how I might want to split up my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Been a while since I started a new file but I very much remember tutorials and being introduced to stuff. You don't even get many activities until you've been situated with more basic stuff first IIRC.

The art style does leave a lot to be desired, there are mods to help with that, portraits especially, but a few more overall graphic overhauls, maybe some of those would appeal to you.

It's a weird genre that nobody has perfected yet, I never have so much trouble trying to find a new version of genre games as I do with this kind.