Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

Although it is awesome when a direct report needs to talk privately, and there's a weird, tense, walk through the open area to a free conference room.

Oh man do I ever miss the shadow politics in plain sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cugel the Clever posted:

:shrug:
Most of my computer-touching coworkers and I have come back to office ~3 times a week entirely on our own initiative in the last year. Sharing the space and interacting with people face to face seems to be a draw. I get people think that they've "maximized their personal productivity" with WFH, but, looking at how interns and juniors have fared with remote work, that seems shortsighted.

Entirely of their own initiative or are they being hinted at they have too? A lot of people are switching back to hybrid because they feel if they don't their performance reviews will state things like "lacks dedicated".

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

StumblyWumbly posted:

Folks who are good at communicating, productive, and can be trusted to work well should be allowed to work from home whenever they want.

The other folks are sometimes more productive at the office, even if they don't like it.

We only hire the best people (while paying about market average), so obviously all of our people are competent enough to work from home effectively.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nvm

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 10, 2023

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

luchadornado posted:

There was a great use case for blockchain that I actually saw - disrupting the monopolistic "certification" involved with registering products and "owning" barcodes for them. Then the companies that would have suffered from them got heavily involved in pushing the open source initiatives forward. They've since stagnated and lost any potential for being useful.

Saw one that used the blockchain to verify the authenticity of Press Releases. Good idea... for a problem that doesn't really exist right now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guess my anxiousposting earlier in this thread was more prescient than I knew, because I'm being laid off in a month along with half our local team. Can I get an idea of what my level of skill might be on the open market? I know last time it didn't go well, but I'm going to make an effort to take emotion out of this and objectively state my duties.

No-name state BS CS in 2014, hired directly into this company/position later that summer where I remained till now. Two promotions in that time, current title I'm told is equivalent to "senior" in most companies (our "senior" is most place's "staff" and takes over a decade to earn). I worked in a department that made the Java application server I mentioned earlier that everyone's heard of, as well as the much more modern, open source, complete rewrite application server that (frustratingly) no one has heard of. Specifically, worked on developer tooling related to them.

In addition to development, did level 3 (talk to the developer) support over tickets and live calls with clients, did feature design/architecture with the team (I liked to focus on the user experience and was pretty successful at driving better usability into the designs), did UI design/implementation where I could, both Swing (lol) and web apps, particularly in Angular (lol), did end-to-end demos of our features to clients in virtual sessions and occasional travel, which got me to learn a lot about the context around our product, especially deployment environments, particularly OpenShift which I became proficient at. I also made some efforts to modernize our builds, although major improvements/overhauls would have taken more time than I had to devote to it. I did find a way to cut the overall build time in half.

Lack of mentoring experience is definitely a weakness, I brought some product education to the team and mentored a few team members on supporting our products but that was the only instance of true "mentorship". Was never a team lead, more a strong IC that my team lead felt confident pointing me at any task that needed to be done well/quickly. Got many side projects over the years which I liked since I wanted to cultivate an image as someone who could be brought in on a project and quickly learn and make progress to a delivery.

I'm also concerned about my lack of direct experience developing and maintaining end-user applications in a production environment. I think my best bet will be to try to find another place that's doing middleware and/or developer tools.

My manager emphasized repeatedly that the layoff is not performance-related, and I've been getting comments from the really senior folks on the team that they're losing top talent and telling me I could land well wherever, but I want an objective assessment. I say this not to puff myself up but to make sure it's clear I don't think I'm getting fired for being terrible.

With that, thoughts on what I might be reasonably able to move into now that I'm being axed? I'm really concerned with all the other companies going through their layoffs months ago (wouldn't be my company if they weren't late to a trend and completely misunderstanding it) that there aren't many decent positions available. I have zero other prospects in my town so I'll have to move--guessing that'll be an uphill over a candidate who's already in the major city where these places are hiring?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 10, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
interviewing is sales, putatively objective assessments are worthless

just send out more stuff. a warm lead is worth 100 cold ones but you can pop out 100 cold ones for surprisingly comparable levels of effort. after you send out stuff you'll have an empirical pipeline you can fix leaky parts of

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 10, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You'll find a job but you're going to have to send out a lot of applications. The best first step is to put your resume together and post an anonymized version here for feedback. Once you've got that, start appyling.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ultrafilter posted:

You'll find a job but you're going to have to send out a lot of applications. The best first step is to put your resume together and post an anonymized version here for feedback. Once you've got that, start appyling.

I take it that's a polite way of saying "nothing special, you'll have difficulty distinguishing yourself from the crowd"? Anything I can do to stand out a little more at this point or do I just need to take whatever reporting janitor position in Wichita I can get and try again to make myself more desirable?

e: sorry, that came off a little unproductive. I guess what I want to know is, does it seem like I could have any success applying for "senior" jobs or do I need to be looking at junior? Would I have any luck at a FAANG (ideally the hardware A) or FAANG-lite? I really want to find another job like I had where I'm working with something sold externally, ideally with some decent adoption, that's reasonably close to a main line of business because I think the overall environment in that area can be pretty good (it was where I am/was).

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 10, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

I take it that's a polite way of saying "nothing special, you'll have difficulty distinguishing yourself from the crowd"? Anything I can do to stand out a little more at this point or do I just need to take whatever reporting janitor position in Wichita I can get and try again to make myself more desirable?

If I thought your profile were deficient somehow, I'd say so. You sound like a typical dev with about a decade of experience, but the typical dev with about a decade of experience is employable. Finding a job is always a numbers game even in the best of circumstances, but it's particularly rough right now, so the earlier you start and the wider a net you cast the quicker you'll find a job.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is the fourth time i told you to get a drat therapist

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ultrafilter posted:

If I thought your profile were deficient somehow, I'd say so. You sound like a typical dev with about a decade of experience, but the typical dev with about a decade of experience is employable. Finding a job is always a numbers game even in the best of circumstances, but it's particularly rough right now, so the earlier you start and the wider a net you cast the quicker you'll find a job.

I guess I see "nothing special" as deficient, because I both want a job like what I had and feel I need to maintain a certain level of rigor in my history. My history going from Senior Developer, Big Blue to Developer, "Driftless Area Regional Bank" will send a very strong signal that I peaked that will be very difficult to overcome if I want in to e.g. Apple eventually.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Quit whining and start applying.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

carry on then posted:

I guess I see "nothing special" as deficient, because I both want a job like what I had and feel I need to maintain a certain level of rigor in my history. My history going from Senior Developer, Big Blue to Developer, "Driftless Area Regional Bank" will send a very strong signal that I peaked that will be very difficult to overcome if I want in to e.g. Apple eventually.

Lol. This is incredibly wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is the fourth time i told you to get a drat therapist

this is good advice tbqh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

leper khan posted:

Lol. This is incredibly wrong.

What would it say to you? What would it say to you, especially, if you saw that employment history competing with Stanford > Developer at Netflix > Senior at Amazon > Principal at Microsoft over that same decade?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the day you entered ibm, you stopped being able to compete w those peeps

just get a therapist

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the day you entered ibm, you stopped being able to compete w those peeps

just get a therapist

Go gently caress yourself.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

carry on then posted:

What would it say to you? What would it say to you, especially, if you saw that employment history competing with Stanford > Developer at Netflix > Senior at Amazon > Principal at Microsoft over that same decade?

You lose to that at the highest paid positions. But that isn't the majority of your competition, and fortunately, there are a lot of positions that are not the peak but still pay quite well!

Start applying, lean in on how awesome you are at fast, high-quality delivery, and how you do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lots of new posts in the thread I wonder whats........ohhh, previously ignored anxiousposter anxiousposting and still hasn't gotten any therapy.

carry on then posted:

I'd say you can't compete with that person. Good thing that profile fits only the top single digit percentage of the field.

You need a ton of therapy if this is how you're choosing to handle this situation and people who are genuinely trying to give you advice (I'm not, but others are).

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

carry on then posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

This is a larger issue with your employability than your prior professional background hth

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

carry on then, what exactly are you looking for from us?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You're never going to be employable again, you may as well just get a job bagging groceries.

Is that what you're looking for?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

You're never going to be employable again, you may as well just get a job bagging groceries.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
carry on how!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Have the recent layoffs had a detectable downward pressure on salaries? I don't know how up-to-date sites like levels.fyi are.

Put another way, if I'm applying to an L5 SWE position at Google, for example, levels.fyi says that they're getting around $380k total comp, and L6 is $540k. Given that I'm a bit overqualified for L5 but might have trouble convincing them that I'm L6, what kind of comp should I be trying to negotiate for?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then posted:

once again you have no idea what you're talking about. listen to what ultrafilter is telling you. especially listen to what bdid is telling you and get some fuckin therapy.

it's a slot machine. pull the lever. now pull it again. now keep pulling it until you have a new job.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have the recent layoffs had a detectable downward pressure on salaries? I don't know how up-to-date sites like levels.fyi are.

Put another way, if I'm applying to an L5 SWE position at Google, for example, levels.fyi says that they're getting around $380k total comp, and L6 is $540k. Given that I'm a bit overqualified for L5 but might have trouble convincing them that I'm L6, what kind of comp should I be trying to negotiate for?

Realtalk, nobody knows. Google's stock refreshes and such were bad this year, and hiring's mostly frozen, but if you're accepted for a position that _isn't_ frozen, you're in enough of an edge case that what current employees are making wouldn't be all that helpful even if we knew what the gently caress were going on.

Negotiate the most you can get. Use levels.fyi for ammo. As always, accept or reject your offer based on whether it's good for you, not based on how it compares with google's levels.fyi numbers. They're not going to turf you out of the pipeline for asking for too much, the recruiter will just come back with "this is all I could get." As always, if you have competing offers, make them beat it. Maybe they won't be able to _beat it_ beat it, but it'll at least help to juice your offer (that you can then evaluate at merit, and compared to your competing offers)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
therapy aint the end of it but it will be a beginning, at least

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

Realtalk, nobody knows. Google's stock refreshes and such were bad this year, and hiring's mostly frozen, but if you're accepted for a position that _isn't_ frozen, you're in enough of an edge case that what current employees are making wouldn't be all that helpful even if we knew what the gently caress were going on.

Negotiate the most you can get. Use levels.fyi for ammo. As always, accept or reject your offer based on whether it's good for you, not based on how it compares with google's levels.fyi numbers. They're not going to turf you out of the pipeline for asking for too much, the recruiter will just come back with "this is all I could get." As always, if you have competing offers, make them beat it. Maybe they won't be able to _beat it_ beat it, but it'll at least help to juice your offer (that you can then evaluate at merit, and compared to your competing offers)

Thanks, that's helpful. And yeah, I'm definitely noticing that jobs are kinda thin on the ground right now. I mean, there's jobs available, but I'm used to being able to be pickier. And I'm sure what jobs there are are getting more applications than usual. I'm getting way more "your application vanished into the void" than I have in the past.

My own goals are basically just to minimize the amount of time I have to spend working for other people before I'm financially independent. I can invent some parameters for what that means and how quickly I want it to happen, but I wouldn't be hard committed to them. e.g. if I said I wanted that to happen in 5 years but it actually took 10, that would be annoying, but it wouldn't derail my life's plans.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im gonna try to be extra nice for a minute. i am relatively sure i'll regret it, but i feel like i gotta try. this poor fucker is going to make me have an aneurysm if he doesn't figure out how to stop bellyaching and actually try something

hey carry on then here is my work history:

1. BA in the humanities. minor on CS. went to a large state school in the midwest/south reasonably well-known for its engineering program. had an on-campus computer-touching job part time
2. got a phd in one of the humanities from a UC program. computer-touch a little for my dissertation.
3. rails/fullstack job for a kayak.com knockoff. this lasts for a little under 2 years
4. backend rails (senior title) job for a saas company
5. same saas company, now im a (senior lol) security engineer. for this and (4), almost 3 years pass
6. google hires me to be a security engineer. this was 4 years ago. i was hired with no senior title, but now i have one.

nobody gives a poo poo about your resume. google recruited from the school i mentioned in (1). people that kept computer-touching in my CS cohort from then are working at google. faangs 100% do not give a poo poo whether you came from stanford or not once you're mid-career. nobody does except you.

you are in a similar position i was at (5) with respect to faangs. the difference is that the market isn't so good now, but your work history is infinitely more respectable than mine was. either way, every company that isn't facebook apple amazon netflix or google would still hire you for (0.8 * faang salary) without much problem. when i came to google, i had barely 2 years as a security engineer, and <5 as a real actual professional computer-toucher if you ignore the academic stuff, which everyone does.

you'll note that there are no dev jobs more looked down upon than "full-stack fuckin' rails developer for travel metasearch site." i don't have a BSCS from _anywhere_. nobody gives a poo poo about my humanities work. and yet.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 10, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thanks, that's helpful. And yeah, I'm definitely noticing that jobs are kinda thin on the ground right now. I mean, there's jobs available, but I'm used to being able to be pickier. And I'm sure what jobs there are are getting more applications than usual. I'm getting way more "your application vanished into the void" than I have in the past.

My own goals are basically just to minimize the amount of time I have to spend working for other people before I'm financially independent. I can invent some parameters for what that means and how quickly I want it to happen, but I wouldn't be hard committed to them. e.g. if I said I wanted that to happen in 5 years but it actually took 10, that would be annoying, but it wouldn't derail my life's plans.

word, good luck! i hope to harass you over internal chat, feel free to pm me if there's google-specific poo poo you wanna talk about. i'm a security engineer, not swe, so i can only be so useful but i'm happy to do whatever i can

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

word, good luck! i hope to harass you over internal chat, feel free to pm me if there's google-specific poo poo you wanna talk about. i'm a security engineer, not swe, so i can only be so useful but i'm happy to do whatever i can

Thanks, if I get an offer I'll definitely update y'all here. I used to work at Verily, so I know a few folks on the inside. They all went back to their Google/YouTube/Waymo jobs when they left Verily, while I quit to make a videogame. Maybe not the best career move I've made, but it's what I needed in the moment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

careers don't need to be minmaxed, if you are able to meet your needs, there is no reason to not do things that fulfill you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Maybe not the best career move I've made

given the bloodbath that was the bets post-layoffs, don't be so sure!

The Fool posted:

careers don't need to be minmaxed, if you are able to meet your needs, there is no reason to not do things that fulfill you

hell yeah +1 to that

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I know a lot of people struggle with imposter syndrome. I struggle with it sometimes too. Maybe this story will help.

Last sprint one of the developers was on bug-squashing duty and closed 0 tickets. Sometimes that happens. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes you get unlucky and a problem sprawls or is hard to reproduce. That's not what happened here. This developer didn't close their tickets so poorly that they got not only me and the team manager involved in helping them, but the team team manager also roped in a senior architect and the PM. The PM solved the issue with an email (working as intended, customer issue was due to having switch foo in state bar when it should be in state buzz). The developer who was working on this issue spent the entire two-week sprint on it and tried to get it counted as part of his story points for the new sprint as well. No matter how bad you think you are at programming, you are better than this dude.

I worked as a contractor for several years. During that time, I had the misfortune of learning that there are lots and lots of currently employed developers like him. The bar to be a valuable team member is very low.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 10, 2023

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got put on a PIP beginning of March, I thought I had really turned it around crushed it last month, turns out I'm fired anyway. Really sucks. Backend dev, PHP, Laravel, AWS, some full stack experience JS/Vue, Java, really solid on SQL if anybody is looking.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

see if grokability is hiring

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

given the bloodbath that was the bets post-layoffs, don't be so sure!

It's more "man, wouldn't it be rad if my bank account had another three years' worth of salary in it right now" kinda thinking. But I don't regret the last three years. I just wish my game was more successful! I'm still ~$25k in the hole on my direct costs for making it, let alone cost of living during development.

My long-term plan post-financial independence is to make an even less profitable game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Comb Your Beard posted:

Got put on a PIP beginning of March, I thought I had really turned it around crushed it last month, turns out I'm fired anyway.
Been there. I also turned it around and put in lots of extra hours to achieve the goals, and at the end my manager just said "yeah you did do all that... but I don't think this level of effort is sustainable."

Turns out at a lot of places, PIP == "HR is putting together the documentation necessary to cover the company's rear end for when they let you go" and you never really had a chance.