Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I remember watching the commentary for all my movies, now I barely watch my movies in the first place. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember watching the commentary for all my movies, now I barely watch my movies in the first place. :smith:

My hobby used to be watching movies, now it’s buying movies and wishing I had time to watch them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have the opposite problem, I tend to lean too hard on my movie collection and don't watch enough new stuff. The main way I try to mitigate that is by having a sort of schedule where I only watch some of my favorites at certain parts of the year. Like obviously October is horror month, so you wouldn't ever catch me watching Halloween or Dracula any other month. It works pretty well, I have almost half the year set aside for these planned rewatches and it allows me to have those rewatches to look forward to while also not burning stuff out.

April - Alien/Predator
May - Star Wars
July/August - Summer Blockbusters/Action(Jaws, Independence Day, Speed, Mission Impossible, etc. etc.)
November - James Bond and Lord of the Rings
December - Christmas/New Years(Die Hard, Gremlins, Ghostbusters 2, etc. etc.)

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Jack Bandit posted:

My hobby used to be watching movies, now it’s buying movies and wishing I had time to watch them.

Same. But add records to my list as well.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just watched Dragonslayer in 4k and man it looks great. I mean, truly great, they did a wonderful job.

I consider it to be THE alpha example of "80s dirty fantasy movie" in terms of aesthetic so seeing it done up so right really made me happy.

I also listened to about 10 minutes of the commentary between Guillermo Del Toro and the director Matthew Robbins and it was good, so this one hit the sweet spot for me.

I just very guardedly re-watched Krull after not having seen it since I was a kid, and it actually kind of holds up? A 4k for that has the potential to look amazing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Liar Lyre posted:

Jack Bandit posted:

Realtalk: This won't last forever. I would be immensely surprised if the page turns to January 1 2030 and there are still half a dozen boutique labels doing any real business. This is a golden age and the well will soon run dry, make hay while it lasts. Personally I view it as buy now, enjoy at your leisure.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

pwn posted:

Realtalk: This won't last forever. I would be immensely surprised if the page turns to January 1 2030 and there are still half a dozen boutique labels doing any real business. This is a golden age and the well will soon run dry, make hay while it lasts. Personally I view it as buy now, enjoy at your leisure.

There is absolutely no way to say this with authority. There are certainly trends but things rarely go how they're projected and we're in a fairly volatile era. I would say that you're probably right on the odds but...odds are a funny thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 10, 2023

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They’ll invent a new format greater than 4k and I will rebuy everything again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd say we'll be down to Criterion Collection and Vinegar Syndrome in 20 years, and the former will be owned by the latter :v:

I tend to eventually watch all my movies, but then I delude myself into thinking I'll ever rewatch like 80% of them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

I'd say we'll be down to Criterion Collection and Vinegar Syndrome in 20 years, and the former will be owned by the latter :v:

I tend to eventually watch all my movies, but then I delude myself into thinking I'll ever rewatch like 80% of them.

Looking forward to a 12k Toy Story boxed set from Vinegar Syndrome in 2048.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they'll probably just plug it into your brain stem by then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Future movies will be vector based and have infinite resolution

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Liar Lyre posted:

At this point I'd go "I have this on 4k I don't need it on 8k". But then when 12k came around, buy buy buy.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I'm pretty convinced that the greater half of the improvements from Blu > 4k is the HDR/color space

The increase in resolution seems to be diminishing returns already and that's on a 77" OLED screen

I would be extremely surprised if they ever tried to float a 8k cosumer format. What would it be for? Who? There's just not much more value in getting more accurate film grains imo, we're already counting their nose hairs fine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, at this point the biggest selling point of your typical 4K release for me is usually a fixed color grading from the lovely original Blu release. I could care less about the actual resolution upgrade.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There is absolutely no way to say this with authority. There are certainly trends but things rarely go how they're projected and we're in a fairly volatile era. I would say that you're probably right on the odds but...odds are a funny thing.

At any rate, we can all agree that right now is a good time for physical media fans.

An acquaintance on fb was saying a few months ago how she's pretty sure she's watched every movie ever made a few times. She also almost exclusively consumes streaming services. I didn't say it (I'm not a full goonlord) but there are so many movies that have been made that aren't on mainstream streamers, just my modest collection alone would keep her busy for a few weeks at least. Point is, streaming is great, but I will be collecting plastic discs from my hospice bed

Speaking of, Arrow came in today

Most don't have slips but seeing as the three OG Fukasakus were $5 each, I ain't complaining. Kinda wish Society had the slip but I don't know if I'll ever rewatch it, I wouldn't pay a premium to see it and it was just at the threshold of what I am willing to pay so fair game. Also slip's been OoP for years so whatever. Now I need to get the other three Battles films and have a proper watch

Excited to add these to The Mountain of the Unwatched!!

Also it was absolutely not intentional (what lunatic would colour coordinate their disc purchases?) but lol oops all red

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice! The Japanese edition of Kill Bill opens with a dedication to Kinji Fukasaku, classy stuff.

I've got some obscure questions about 90s anime blu-rays and dvds. Are there any review sites that show pictures of the subtitles? I'm interested in upgrading Outlaw Star to blu-ray for example, but the screenshots on blu-ray.com don't show the subs. I'm fussy about fonts. Googling it I found some forum topic from 2012 talking about funimation having annoying subs to read, but getting slightly better.

Also in general looking to upgrade a few of the classics, some don't even have blu-rays. I have the original Pioneer DVDs of Trigun, and some people say the most recent Funimation DVDs aren't as good of an encode. But also some of Geneon's re-releases apparently also have better video quality, as well as re-including the easter egg in the intros. Does anyone have the obscure knowledge on if other editions of Trigun really have notably better video than the original Pioneer DVDs? Surely half the folks in here have every space western, it's the perfect genre.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Chris James 2 posted:

Home Grown Horrors vol 1 is apparently running low, should I finally pull the trigger on getting it and vol 2? I wanted to be done from ordering VS stuff until halfway to Black Friday but there's no chance that's lasting till then

You should probably get it now while you still can. Apparently one of the actors for Beyond Dreams Door posted on FB that VS might be losing the rights to it so it wouldn't be included in the HGH Vol 1 standard release if it happens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Heavy Metal posted:

Nice! The Japanese edition of Kill Bill opens with a dedication to Kinji Fukasaku, classy stuff.

I've got some obscure questions about 90s anime blu-rays and dvds. Are there any review sites that show pictures of the subtitles? I'm interested in upgrading Outlaw Star to blu-ray for example, but the screenshots on blu-ray.com don't show the subs. I'm fussy about fonts. Googling it I found some forum topic from 2012 talking about funimation having annoying subs to read, but getting slightly better.

Also in general looking to upgrade a few of the classics, some don't even have blu-rays. I have the original Pioneer DVDs of Trigun, and some people say the most recent Funimation DVDs aren't as good of an encode. But also some of Geneon's re-releases apparently also have better video quality, as well as re-including the easter egg in the intros. Does anyone have the obscure knowledge on if other editions of Trigun really have notably better video than the original Pioneer DVDs? Surely half the folks in here have every space western, it's the perfect genre.

Not saying to :filez: them instead of buying but if you check out nyaa, the descriptions/comments there can get extremely specific about what versions have what subtitles/video quality/etc. which can be extremely helpful. I'm not sure what you're watching them on but if you play your discs through VLC, that gives you some extensive choices for customizing the look of the subtitles look/color/outline/etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 11, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Neo Rasa posted:

Not saying to :filez: them instead of buying but if you check out nyaa, the descriptions/comments there can get extremely specific about what versions have what subtitles/video quality/etc. which can be extremely helpful. I'm not sure what you're watching them on but if you play your discs through VLC, that gives you some extensive choices for customizing the look of the subtitles look/color/outline/etc.

Right on, truth is I've already turned over those stones, but thanks. You can only customize subs when fans replaced the picture PGS subs from the disc with that text format you can mess with. So those fan versions don't let me know if the official discs have a decent font going on. Gotta wonder why they don't include a pic of the subs.

For Trigun, I have seen an 8-way fan comparison pic of different DVD rips from groups. It shows me nobody agrees what Trigun should look like, each one is stretched/cropped differently and with different color and brightness.

I also don't like the fan versions where they use a SNES style filter or make everything sharper and smoother like a smudged painting, some DVD group releases do that. I don't mind some blurriness myself, granted maybe if someone has a huge TV they find it more of an issue.

I also ended up reading a big AnimeNewsNetwork article and thread about how all anime used to be interlaced, and a lot of it always will be, not feasible to remaster etc. Wild stuff. 90s anime is the lifeblood of art as we know it, so it's gotta be preserved.

Here's some more anime DVD obscurity for the thread. I noticed the PS4 displays classic 4:3 DVDs improperly! They end up slightly narrower than they're supposed to be. PS3 also would do this, but then I turned off PS3s upscale setting, and it then has the proper 4:3 width, same as I get putting the disc in a PC. It's gonna take a laboratory to keep watching 90s anime one day.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 11, 2023

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall

Heavy Metal posted:

With Trigun, apparently the discs to get are the Trigun Remix discs (the Geneon ones that added a 5.1 track), they're the ones that fixed the easter egg in the intro sequence. My understanding is Funimation then went and un-fixed it with their release. Not sure how notable the video quality improvement is compared to the original Pioneer or later Funimation ones though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to know, thanks. Maybe if I buy that they'll remaster it, gotta take one for the team. Worked with Metroid Prime recently.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm learning the hard way that Arrow's lost the license for these films and the first two are OoP and stupid expensive. Ain't gonna pay that. Gonna have to figure out another way to see them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd be on the fence for kill bill

I liked it back then, and I was more indifferent the second time watching a fan final cut a few years ago. I know it's QT and all, but it's his most derivative thing by far. Nothing in that film feels original whatsoever.

Jackie Brown and 4 rooms would get a preorder out of me, the rest are an easy pass on owning (I have pulp and res already)

e: poo poo forgot deathproof, which is very much not good, but I liked and would totally grab it (just not with the other grindhouse stuff attached ideally)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 11, 2023

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Amazon has the Severin Folk Horror boxset for $105 which seems like an extremely good deal.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Harry Privates posted:

Amazon has the Severin Folk Horror boxset for $105 which seems like an extremely good deal.

It's a great set and more than worth it at that price. Not every film is a winner but even the weaker ones are usually interesting.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

zer0spunk posted:

I liked it back then, and I was more indifferent the second time watching a fan final cut a few years ago. I know it's QT and all, but it's his most derivative thing by far. Nothing in that film feels original whatsoever.

Jackie Brown and 4 rooms would get a preorder out of me, the rest are an easy pass on owning (I have pulp and res already)

e: poo poo forgot deathproof, which is very much not good, but I liked and would totally grab it (just not with the other grindhouse stuff attached ideally)

I have sort of wrapped around on Kill Bill completely over the years. I loved it at release, kind of cooled on it by the time it hit blu-ray, and then in the interim watched a ton of the stuff that it's derivative of and now I love it again. It's kind of hard now for me to get upset about it being derivative when its influences were all pretty derivative of each other in the first place, it just feels like another piece of a couple of different areas of schlocky film history.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I didn't like Yakuza Papers 1 for the record, so I haven't checked out other movies in the series. But the director is cool of course.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My region free player arrived today. Time to bust out those copies of Slither and Strange Days and finally watch them.

You're welcome if they get announced for UHD releases in the near future now that I've invested the money in a region free player.

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to the first two Battles without Honor films! Which are frustratingly tough to get without spending far more for each than the others all cost combined. I suppose if anyone wants to sell them and hates money, let me know. In the meantime I will continue hunting...

Kill Bill is of course a masterpiece which I already own, along with all the rest.

(Not pictured: 4ks of RD and PF)

As for Death Proof. I never really understood the disdain for it. As the second half of Grindhouse, the first half of DP serves as a welcome reprieve/breather after the relentlessness of Planet Terror; on its own, the extended version helps it stand alone. It's been rewatched as much as most of his other films for me. But hey, different strokes.

Edit: That's a German HD-DVD Steel of DP that I modified to hold three discs :smugbert:

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 11, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

As for Death Proof. I never really understood the disdain for it.
I always figured Tarantino was too true to the actual spirit of no-budget Grindhouse movies by making it 90% talking with 10% crazy payoff and people got mad (on the flipside I think Rodriguez misses the mark hard because he goes too far off map).

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death Proof is my 3rd favorite Tarantino

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jackie Brown > Death Proof > Inglorious Basterds=Once Upon a Time in Hollywood > the rest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

Jackie Brown > Death Proof > Inglorious Basterds=Once Upon a Time in Hollywood > the rest.

This is my list except I love them all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

caligulamprey posted:

I always figured Tarantino was too true to the actual spirit of no-budget Grindhouse movies by making it 90% talking with 10% crazy payoff and people got mad (on the flipside I think Rodriguez misses the mark hard because he goes too far off map).

I need to rewatch Death Proof because it’s been over a decade, but Planet Terror can go gently caress itself. What a godawful SyFy-level attempt at schlock.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Not enough green tint

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It seems like a waste of money, but I personally feel it’s worth it to buy both versions of Death Proof because the way the Grindhouse version is edited down is genuinely funny

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

His podcast with Roger Avary is really good. Roger showed up on Mick Garris' podcast and I was surprised he brought up his car crash/manslaughter story unprompted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber just announced....

The Draughtman's Contract - June 13
- 4K restoration by BFI
- Commentary by Peter Greenaway
- Video introduction (10 min)
- Deleted scenes
- Behind the scenes/interviews
- Interview with Michael Nyman
- Short films: Intervals, Windows, Dear Phone, Water Wrackets
- Trailer

A Zed and Two Noughts/The Fall: Two Films by Peter Greenaway - June 20
- Commentary by Peter Greenaway on A Zed and Two Noughts
- Video introductions
- Short films: Vertical Features Remake, H is for House, A Walk Through H
- Video pieces by Greenaway on the films
- Trailer

Millennium Mambo - June 27

Also looks like Universal is releasing a UHD of American Graffiti in August. No details yet.