Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I always find it amusing how nonchalant dudes get when they deal with terrifying poo poo everyday.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bulletsponge13 posted:

I always find it amusing how nonchalant dudes get when they deal with terrifying poo poo everyday.

I think that’s a very literal case of survivorship bias.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
His statements about the efficacy of helmets made a macabre sort of sense. Might as well go out comfortable because a helmet isn't going to help you at all if you set off a

*checks notes*

living room full of mines

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Subjunctive posted:

Jesus Christ

Screw trying to defuse all those things one by one. We throw a grenade in there and let the original owners collect the insurance money.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vengarr posted:

Screw trying to defuse all those things one by one. We throw a grenade in there and let the original owners collect the insurance money.

Over a year of war has probably effected their risk vs reward math by a lot. Those are a lot of explosives they can deploy against the russians themselves if they diffuse it properly.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I'm visiting from the GBS thread to tell you all about the latest tank Russia is sending to the front, sure to inspire fear and awe in their enemies:

They restored an Object-279 from the Kubinka tank museum. They only ever made 3 of these lol.

I was really hoping they were sending Armata prototypes to the front, if they ever existed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

obj 279 isnt going to be sent into combat lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Over a year of war has probably effected their risk vs reward math by a lot. Those are a lot of explosives they can deploy against the russians themselves if they diffuse it properly.

OTOH you're down an EOD trained soldier and a room full of mines if something goes wrong.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Vengarr posted:

Most insurances in the US don't cover acts of war , would not be suprised if thats true in Ukraine.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

OTOH you're down an EOD trained soldier and a room full of mines if something goes wrong.

Yes, that would be the risk math I had mentioned.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Maybe he wanted a nice room to sleep in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The mines really pulled the room together.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

HonorableTB posted:

I'm visiting from the GBS thread to tell you all about the latest tank Russia is sending to the front, sure to inspire fear and awe in their enemies:

They restored an Object-279 from the Kubinka tank museum. They only ever made 3 of these lol.

The gently caress are you talking about? Your post in the GBS thread reads like you're trying to score internet points like all the cringey "haha cope cage" guys.

Googling does return stuff about the Kubinka museum restoring their Objekt-279 to running condition in 2022. If that's what you're going on about, news flash: tank museums restore vehicles to running (but not fighting) condition all the time, completely independent of any wars which may be happening.

There's no way they did that work intending to send it to the front. It would just get in the way. There's no logistics train to keep it running, and nobody's trained to crew it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BobHoward posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? Your post in the GBS thread reads like you're trying to score internet points like all the cringey "haha cope cage" guys.

Googling does return stuff about the Kubinka museum restoring their Objekt-279 to running condition in 2022. If that's what you're going on about, news flash: tank museums restore vehicles to running (but not fighting) condition all the time, completely independent of any wars which may be happening.

There's no way they did that work intending to send it to the front. It would just get in the way. There's no logistics train to keep it running, and nobody's trained to crew it.

You're at like an 8 right now, could you dial it back to a 5 or less?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

McNally posted:

You're at like an 8 right now, could you dial it back to a 5 or less?

Sorry, will do.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Understood that Finland is adding a large NATO border, but why would Russia need to put more than a handful of additional troops there at this time? I understand not wanting to neglect their border with China too much but seems pointless to put significant ground troops on a spot where it is unlikely NATO would choose to declare war, when they are critically needed elsewhere.

Depends on how sincere Putin was when he said one of the motivations for his invasion of Ukraine is to prevent NATO from winding up on his borders. If he really does feel NATO is an existential and aggressive threat, he'll prioritize strengthening the forces along the border with Finland. And even if he doesn't see things that way, his language suggests that he does and I would expect that there'd be some kind of domestic pressure to ensure that the border with Finland is adequately defended due to all the rhetoric he and his mouthpieces have thrown around about NATO being bent on the destruction of Russia.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I think it's cool they got that old rare tank running. Sometimes making prototypes is more about learning from your mistakes and trying new things than getting something out to production. Half the meme tanks out there are just prototypes.

Not the s tank tho. It's perfect.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Borscht posted:

Not the s tank tho. It's perfect.

:hmmyes:

The S stands for "scoot" and it's capitalised because it's real good at it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

I mean, no it’s not, but it’s not a zero % chance…

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Back in the day, i only ever unlocked the Obj. 260 from the personal reward missions, so i wouldn't mind seeing some drone footage of a 279 getting destroyed

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Any news on T-55 seeing combat yet? My suspicion was when they popped up in pictures was they were destined to be pillboxes in fortification lines but no data.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Tunicate posted:

Finnish is viperless

:hmmyes:

I refuse to believe there is a way to make the risk calculus on that thing result in anything but "controlled demo". :fireman:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You can all disagree with me, but I'd say the best tank is Hooba's tank.

:guitar: :v:

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't it bad opsec to post your defusing TTP to the interwebs?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

vuk83 posted:

If it leads to safer UXO cleanup for both sides, I'm not against it.

I'm not sure what that first device does though. Does it loop around the spoon and closes it down to make sure the holes align so he can put a pin back in?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Fragrag posted:

If it leads to safer UXO cleanup for both sides, I'm not against it.

I'm not sure what that first device does though. Does it loop around the spoon and closes it down to make sure the holes align so he can put a pin back in?

This was I understand a booby trapped mine, with a hand grenade under. So by showing your EOD ttp, there is a chance that next time the grenade is tampered with?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dandywalken posted:

What about obj 69

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

vuk83 posted:

Paranoid me thinks that is only the FIRST trap in that pile of mines.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Paranoid me thinks that is only the FIRST trap in that pile of mines.

Paranoid him thinks so too. That's why he just showed the first one on camera

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/naalsio26/status/1645609044680343555

Check out the kill marks on the barrel

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

New season of extreme hoarders looks wild

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a stack of tank mines that wasn't a total mess, is there no good way to stack those things??

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a stack of tank mines that wasn't a total mess, is there no good way to stack those things??

they stack just fine in a container. When they're loose they like to just pile up haphazardly.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

Do left-handed users get sprayed in the face by hot brass or is that accounted for in modern rifle designs? I don't know anything about ejection systems but that would really suck to find out a bunch of hot brass is now filling your shirt

At first this post prompted me to mention that there is a brass deflector that can be snapped into the carry handle on an M-16. We would occasionally have them available for BRM and quals. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/0akMkiZteRU

Then I remembered that the Army switched over to flat top uppers with optics a very long time ago. I feel like an old fart now.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

HonorableTB posted:

Do left-handed users get sprayed in the face by hot brass or is that accounted for in modern rifle designs? I don't know anything about ejection systems but that would really suck to find out a bunch of hot brass is now filling your shirt

Finnish RK-62s worked without issue shooting from the left. I'd argue they were actually better that way since the charging handle was on the right.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Saukkis posted:

Finnish RK-62s worked without issue shooting from the left. I'd argue they were actually better that way since the charging handle was on the right.

Counter strike was right all along

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1645705332847509505

Ah sweet, man made horrors beyond compehension

e: Ah why the hell isn't the link displayed properly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a FPV drone used as a divebomber on a training range. After delivering the payload, it's speeding off

Dein Specht fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 11, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1645565714584018946?s=46&t=NORpsj0R4coZAENOyHWtdg

If true seems like a buried lede in all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Somebody really wanted to keep his Su-35s, I guess.