Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Subjunctive posted:

Are we ever going to get Bloodborne on PC?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:smith:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Subjunctive posted:

no

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

eventually it will come to PC in the form of PS4 emulation and there will be an immediate patch that fixes the framerate but also gives all the spiders tits (especially patches)

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

eventually it will come to PC in the form of PS4 emulation and there will be an immediate patch that fixes the framerate but also gives all the spiders tits (especially patches)

I wonder what the downside will be.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's one of the more unlikely things to happen in the industry, but hey...you never know.

Seek Insight?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is it a licensing or publishing rights issue?

Seems like it would be a profitable port in the wake of Elden Ring.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its because its a good idea and would make too much money

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh you mean Square Enix has the rights to Bloodborne :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is it a licensing or publishing rights issue?

Seems like it would be a profitable port in the wake of Elden Ring.

I think there's a few different reasons why it's unlikely,

- classic game, but still one of the lowest selling FROM games
- outsized reputation means you can't gently caress it up and fans will scrutinize everything, whereas DeS was largely unknown to a lot of players therefor less risk
- probably a matter of mutual recognition, Sony owns it but it's heavily associated with Miyazaki and now defunct Japan Studio
- Miyazaki has stated that he isn't really interested in doing sequels and remasters, wants to use studio resources for new projects
- proprietary engine that is 'quirky'
- PC ports will continue but will slow down I think as console sales increase, so more likely to be console exclusive
- japanese handshake business weirdness, mythic property status

otoh, as some have noted, things that make it possible

- sony has a longstanding relationship with FROM and could bankroll at some point if FROM has spare resources and is interested
- sony sees it as a value add to sell a few million consoles if things get heated or they need to steal thunder from MS/Ninty
- bluepoint has expressed interest and is familiar with FROM's body of work

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i just want to play a version of Bloodborne at 60+ fps and that lets me chose any weapon at the start

is that too much to ask for?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Huh, I already own it for PS4? Huh.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jesus, has it really been 8 years since the release of Bloodborne? good lord

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

- outsized reputation means you can't gently caress it up and fans will scrutinize everything, whereas DeS was largely unknown to a lot of players therefor less risk
- probably a matter of mutual recognition, Sony owns it but it's heavily associated with Miyazaki and now defunct Japan Studio
- Miyazaki has stated that he isn't really interested in doing sequels and remasters, wants to use studio resources for new projects
- PC ports will continue but will slow down I think as console sales increase, so more likely to be console exclusive

- sony has a longstanding relationship with FROM and could bankroll at some point if FROM has spare resources and is interested
- sony sees it as a value add to sell a few million consoles if things get heated or they need to steal thunder from MS/Ninty

Yeah that’s probably the biggest issue, it didn’t sell particularly well and they probably just don’t think it’s worth jumping through whatever hoops they would need to

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

is there any point to coming back to elden ring if i did basically everything on it when it came out? I remember using that gravestone shield and blasphemous blade to kill everything. Is PVP fun in this game?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Got my hands on a PS5 and I am playing Demon Souls.

It's a lot harder than Elden Ring. drat that game is kicking my poo poo in.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Slider posted:

is there any point to coming back to elden ring if i did basically everything on it when it came out? I remember using that gravestone shield and blasphemous blade to kill everything. Is PVP fun in this game?

Look up areas and bosses you missed, try different weapons/ a caster build and go for a different ending.

Pvp is fun but the learning curve is brutal and there’s a relatively small number of weapons and builds that get the most use.

I’m starting to get at least not terrible but only because I’ve done a shitload of sunbro’ing. The arena fights are fun but I still think the randomness and environments make invasions and invading more interesting

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Would definitely rather not but this is becoming increasingly likely since the 60fps patch is apparently super easy to apply and it’s been seen running at the PlayStation offices

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The other bit that I read was that Bloodborne is kind of a mess of spaghetti code (wasn't it made in the very early PS4 days?) so they can't just ship it all over to Bluepoint to do the update, they'd have to send a team with them to show Bluepoint how it works, and, well, Elden Ring sold 20 million copies, so they're focused on that at the moment.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If we get book weapons I want the trick button to reveal that the book has a foldout with another spine

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Katamari Democracy posted:

Got my hands on a PS5 and I am playing Demon Souls.

It's a lot harder than Elden Ring. drat that game is kicking my poo poo in.

I found Demons Souls is hard until it isn't, if that makes sense. Ranged anything breaks it over your knee.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Usually it means they lost all the code and stuff for the original. This is especially true if Sony is involved at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Subjunctive posted:

Huh, I already own it for PS4? Huh.

It was a "free" PS+ game awhile back. That's how I got it.

Now that I finished and enjoyed Elden Ring, I should probably go back and give it another shot. I bounced off it the first time around after getting to Cathedral Ward.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Phenotype posted:

The other bit that I read was that Bloodborne is kind of a mess of spaghetti code (wasn't it made in the very early PS4 days?) so they can't just ship it all over to Bluepoint to do the update, they'd have to send a team with them to show Bluepoint how it works, and, well, Elden Ring sold 20 million copies, so they're focused on that at the moment.

I dont know poo poo about software but at launch when you died it would go to a black screen for something like 30 seconds or more. It was really bad and I have a good tolerance for that kind of thing. I think you're probably right.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Usually it means they lost all the code and stuff for the original. This is especially true if Sony is involved at all.

Well, Japan Studio at least. Place was total wild west zone with minimal oversight until like 2012, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings, so yeah very disorganized I'd imagine. Especially since it was a co-production that started during the PS3 days, Bloodborne's design carries many of the hallmarks of other weird 'dreamteam' games: unlimited creative freedom meets tiny budget, weird experiments with new technology, all sorts of people contracted for bits and bobs on the soundtrack, fast and loose programming that crumbles if you poke it, almost zero post-release support, etc

Game is still the absolute GOAT

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It was a "free" PS+ game awhile back. That's how I got it.

It's also part of the PS+ 'Collection' if you bought a PS5 in the last 2.5 years, available for 1 more month I think

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Bloodborne is fantastic but it would be super nice to have more options for starting weapons. would love starting at NG+0 with the saif, I love that thing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Revins posted:

Bloodborne is fantastic but it would be super nice to have more options for starting weapons. would love starting at NG+0 with the saif, I love that thing

Same, though at least it's possible to get any weapon using a chalice glyph after Old Yharnam.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Disco Pope posted:

I found Demons Souls is hard until it isn't, if that makes sense. Ranged anything breaks it over your knee.

Yeah Demon’s Souls has a very steep learning curve for basic melee guy. The gameplay is going to feel familiar to any one who’s played these games but the world design and systems are willing to menace the new player with resource scarcity in a way that the later games really aren’t. Healing, humanity, mp, bonfires (lol what bonfires), upgrade rocks, item burden, all harder to come by. repair cost of all things is seriously annoying until you start to kill things that aren’t dreglings and get a decent amount of souls. The game is constantly threateningly nudging you to optimize your play, branch out, and find the brokenly good poo poo. or else.

Great game. Still the best co-op/invasions of any of these imo

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I mean, is just releasing it on a different platform and unfucking the framerate really sequel and remaster chicanery? That's basically all anybody wants, and PC players put up with the terrible DS1 port for years.

I always just assumed it was on Sony's end because of Bloodborne being pretty much the flagship title for the PS4, though at the same time they've been slowly trickling their big name exclusives to PC with things like GoW and Naughty Dog games.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
My biggest lesson for this game was to be patient and deliberate with your strikes. After I took out a Night’s Cavalry in Limgrave and only needed two health flasks, I felt very accomplished and confident. Like finally the game clicked. I even started to get the hang of parrying.

You CANNOT spam your attack, even sometimes on the weak guys. Sometimes fights are just going to be long and you will only have a 3 second window to strike and that window opens up after 12 seconds of dodging, hit-and-runs, or kiting, etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I mean, is just releasing it on a different platform and unfucking the framerate really sequel and remaster chicanery? That's basically all anybody wants, and PC players put up with the terrible DS1 port for years.

I always just assumed it was on Sony's end because of Bloodborne being pretty much the flagship title for the PS4, though at the same time they've been slowly trickling their big name exclusives to PC with things like GoW and Naughty Dog games.

I think it's even more unlikely that Sony would issue a patch for an existing release, knowing how they work. There's just not much precedent for it

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I weep for the people who may never get to experience a full playthrough of bloodbourne bookended by the laurence the first vicar boss fight. Still get chills thinking about the track that pays as you fight him. But also with like 10 other moments in the game too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I think it's even more unlikely that Sony would issue a patch for an existing release, knowing how they work. There's just not much precedent for it

I'll choose to believe its mostly because someone at Sony cannot be hosed to put in the amount of effort required to actually do it if it means a bit of work on a clunky old game, it still seems absurd to me since surely they must know there's a huge and dedicated audience for this stuff on PC that would absolutely recoup the costs in like an hour after release and they are leaving money on the table, but I've seen companies make stupider decisions.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think as the public understands it Sony paid for enough of Bloodborne’s development that the low initial sales have probably condemned From to never getting the green light on a port/fix.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

I dont know poo poo about software but at launch when you died it would go to a black screen for something like 30 seconds or more. It was really bad and I have a good tolerance for that kind of thing. I think you're probably right.

Part of this is that none of fromsoft's games have optimizations to avoid reloading a level from disk after you die, so if you die directly next to a checkpoint it takes just as long to load as it did when you first teleported to the checkpoint, even though the level assets are already in memory and the game only needs to reset enemies and such. In team ninja's games like nioh and wo long, it only takes a couple seconds to reload after you die even though it can take 30 seconds to load the level the first time, since they already have the level assets cached. admittedly, it's much easier to do that in their games because the levels are all self-contained missions while fromsoft's games are semi-open, so a death in cathedral ward can potentially need to boot you back to yharnam and actually need to fully reload everything.

khwarezm posted:

Not that they shouldn't do this, but according to the guy who made the 60 fps hack for the game, getting bloodborne to run at 60 FPS is more work than it should be (not just on PS4 hardware). a bunch of different things like physics calculations are locked to a 1/30s timestep and it wasn't trivial for him to change all the places that are dependent on that to work with a higher, variable frame rate.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Orv posted:

I think as the public understands it Sony paid for enough of Bloodborne’s development that the low initial sales have probably condemned From to never getting the green light on a port/fix.

I might be being extremely naive, but I half got the impression that Bloodborne was sort of intended to be a more highbrow and hardcore game to give the PS4 a bit more clout among people who might have been less interested if they thought all the exclusives were going to be Order 1886 or Uncharted style 'Cinematic' games, as in the videogame version of a movie studio releasing an Oscar season movie. In both cases they are willingly sacrificing some sales figures to try and gain prestige that can make it more attractive to certain audiences.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think people kind of overestimate what bloodborne would sell. Like it would probably sell better than it’s original release but like from demon souls I doubt it would even sale half as well as like Dark souls 3

Orv
May 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I might be being extremely naive, but I half got the impression that Bloodborne was sort of intended to be a more highbrow and hardcore game to give the PS4 a bit more clout among people who might have been less interested if they thought all the exclusives were going to be Order 1886 or Uncharted style 'Cinematic' games, as in the videogame version of a movie studio releasing an Oscar season movie. In both cases they are willingly sacrificing some sales figures to try and gain prestige that can make it more attractive to certain audiences.

I’m sure they expected some cut in sales given that it was a new IP and probably some other factors but I think by the time Bloodborne came out, From games had been dominating so much of video game conversation for so long that their expectations were probably unrealistic. Maybe not Squeenix unrealistic but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Owl Inspector posted:

Not that they shouldn't do this, but according to the guy who made the 60 fps hack for the game, getting bloodborne to run at 60 FPS is more work than it should be (not just on PS4 hardware). a bunch of different things like physics calculations are locked to a 1/30s timestep and it wasn't trivial for him to change all the places that are dependent on that to work with a higher, variable frame rate.

I can believe that, but even still if some guy modding it I presume for free can hack it into a workable state, I must imagine that a major publisher like Sony could as well and it would absolutely be worth the potential sales on PC.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think people kind of overestimate what bloodborne would sell. Like it would probably sell better than it’s original release but like from demon souls I doubt it would even sale half as well as like Dark souls 3

Again, that might be the case, but the hard part is already done, the game was fully completed, its just porting it which I can only assume will be peanuts compared to its cost to develop and the PC has proven to be a very reliable market for From games ever since they've started porting to it. Tons of people would be willing to buy the game again just for PC.

Orv posted:

I’m sure they expected some cut in sales given that it was a new IP and probably some other factors but I think by the time Bloodborne came out, From games had been dominating so much of video game conversation for so long that their expectations were probably unrealistic. Maybe not Squeenix unrealistic but still.

I also just want to say something in relation to this, even after Bloodborne was released Sony still went ahead and greenlit the big budget Demon's Souls remake, again to give a bit more clout to the PS5 as a console that would have more niche, difficult games. Demon's Souls is a lot more obscure than Dark Souls and they still went ahead with that which I think proves they want to appeal to the Soulsborne audience, that seems like a strange move to make if they considered Bloodborne a write off.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 11, 2023