Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'm currently looking into screwing a microscope objective into an existing lens (like this). Does anyone have a tutorial on best practices and what to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
For high mag stacking?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There are a lot of factors for selecting the right objective and lens (called a 'tube lens'). You need to get an infinity objective of an appropriate brand (one that isn't expecting special optics to correct aberrations). You also need to be sure your lens is suitable--most infinity objectives want to be put on a 180mm or 200mm lens, though they can usually tolerate some variation (longer focal length lenses will increase mag, shorter will reduce it). If you use a zoom lens it will generally introduce vignetting if you go much below the maximum zoom.
It's not the most active but there is a thread for photomicrography as well if you want to get more in depth about micro gear. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902840&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am potentially interested in magnifications between 2x and 5x without crazy short working distances, and without going below the image quality of my 180 mm Canon macro at 1x, but I am not interested in stacking. Perhaps microscope objectives are not the way to go. Will have to read a bit more.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

theHUNGERian posted:

I am potentially interested in magnifications between 2x and 5x without crazy short working distances, and without going below the image quality of my 180 mm Canon macro at 1x, but I am not interested in stacking. Perhaps microscope objectives are not the way to go. Will have to read a bit more.
As mag starts to increase you end up on the knife's edge of diffraction at all times, and if you combat that with higher resolution optics the depth of field gets very shallow very fast. You can recover some decent image quality at web resolution if you're willing to sharpen the crap out of a diffracted source image though (see these shots with a laowa 100mm 2x with 2 2x teleconverters(!!))
You might want to consider a Nikon MM5x on aps-c (or full frame with a teleconverter). 64mm working distance, good resolution, not apochromatic but not bad. You just need empty spacers, and if you use a helicoid you can push the mag down a ways, at least to 3x from the one I tried.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

As mag starts to increase you end up on the knife's edge of diffraction at all times, and if you combat that with higher resolution optics the depth of field gets very shallow very fast. You can recover some decent image quality at web resolution if you're willing to sharpen the crap out of a diffracted source image though (see these shots with a laowa 100mm 2x with 2 2x teleconverters(!!))
You might want to consider a Nikon MM5x on aps-c (or full frame with a teleconverter). 64mm working distance, good resolution, not apochromatic but not bad. You just need empty spacers, and if you use a helicoid you can push the mag down a ways, at least to 3x from the one I tried.

Thanks for the reference. I already have a 180 mm macro with a 2x extender. Looks like I should be able to squeeze a bit more out of it in post, so I will work on that first.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I ended up with a relatively dirt cheap Laowa 2.5x-5x. It's neat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Is that some kinda weird moth?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

Is that some kinda weird moth?

Weird? No, we have thousands of them here. Moth? Yes, they are among the most chill insects.

Edit: Plume moth, I believe.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Took the advice, tried the flash, and switched to burst mode

Wattle flowers, they're about 1cm in diameter

Also took these a couple weeks ago and forgot to :justpost:

I can see myself in this one!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
There's a dreamlike effect there that I really dig.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Painted Lady by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Nice one! It’s sort of got the cinematic orange and blue color theme, adding extra pop.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice! Never realised they have hair on their eyes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Exploring things at 3x has been pretty fun so far, but I definitely have to work on a new diffuser.

Any idea what creature is going through this flower?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Possibly a Thrip, there are so many micro scale insects though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 7, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Got my first mosquito of the spring season.
Taken about 4:1 with the mpe-65 + mt-24ex flash

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

king of the castle

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I love those intense little eyes!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Taking the offered advice, practicing, and trying to improve my macro photos on the gear I had has worked for me - I just upgraded to a camera with IBIS and modern autofocus (Nex-6 to a7c) and got these while taking test shots, without really steadying myself after the walk

The AF was noticeably faster and more accurate. Looking forward to asking some insects if they'll let me shoot up close

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 24, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Beloved Macro thread, bestow upon me some of your wisdom.

What beginner macro lens would you pick up if you had a Fuji XT-200 (X Mount system)?

I have the 13mm extension tube and it's scratched a bit of an itch, but a dedicated macro lens for this body would be great - what beginnner model would you suggest? I'm in Canada for reference (if that matters)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fruit fly ?

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Slotducks posted:

Beloved Macro thread, bestow upon me some of your wisdom.

What beginner macro lens would you pick up if you had a Fuji XT-200 (X Mount system)?

I have the 13mm extension tube and it's scratched a bit of an itch, but a dedicated macro lens for this body would be great - what beginnner model would you suggest? I'm in Canada for reference (if that matters)

I've only used the one lens I have, but all the macro shots I've taken were on my X-T4 with the Laowa 65mm macro lens. It runs about $400 though and is fully manual so no autofocus.

If you were looking for cheaper there might be options that I'm unaware of.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Back in the game

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This caterpillar is a little bigger than an ant (~25mm), but it was an easy backyard shot during my lunch break working from home

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I have an X-T5 and an XF 80mm lens, what is the best way to get closer to 2x for insect photography with this setup?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Extension tubes and a flash basically. 2x is quite close though.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

What are the drawbacks to the teleconverters rather than extension tubes other than price?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Teleconverters resize your image without changing the resolution. Extension tubes can increase resolution along with increasing magnification. Which will give better results will be pretty contextual.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

For those of you who haven't already got one... the Laowa 90mm 2.8 macro is preeeety good

69 shots / f4 @ 1.4x

31 shots / f5.6 @ 1x

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 4, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You make a compelling case. Nice shots!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Finally picked up my camera again and threw on the macro lens .. then bought some lighting b/c those initial photos were just boring and flat. The built in diffuser on the Godox MF12 is ... meh. I have my 3D printer going right now with a soft box mockup for them. Until then .. the cherry tree in the front yard.

Cherry Tree Macro by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I recently got my first real camera (Canon 700D)recently and I got some old Sigma lenses on Yahoo Auctions for something like $5 each just for funsies. As you would expect, they're noisy, the focus time is measured in whole seconds, and 2 of the 3 I got need a rechip to operate the aperture, but the one that worked 100% out of the box was a 28-80mm with macro focus at 80. The min focus distance isn't great at about 25cm but it was enough to get this neat pic of the heat cracks and pitting on a wrecked brake rotor which made it worth the $5.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

A friend of mine has lent me his Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di and playing around with it around the house for 45 minutes has been pretty fun - birds, concerts, and now macro? So much to shoot so little time.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great shots right there! Loving the muted color, very classy.👍

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I finally found the Laowa I've been eyeing for years for a reasonable price.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Rorschach butt!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
stinky :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

you can do some amazing cinematography stuff with that lens