Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I'm not the precursor to rules, that's on the guy who was stealing cats out of minivans and got his rear end squashed jacking one up wrong. Their insurance company was very unhappy with them for allowing jacks even though he used one that was in the van, which hadn't even been processed yet, so their new no jacks rule couldn't have prevented it anyways.

The junkyard has a bathroom, but I've definitely stepped in human poo poo in between rows before. That was an experience I don't want to repeat anytime soon.

Also, I've never set a car on fire in the junkyard, so... They don't care what tools I bring in. Because I know what I'm doing.

I'll never forget the caddy with the functioning battery, we just cranked the stereo and moved to a safe distance. Good times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think that and Chris with the beans and pineapple are what really cracked me up. It was a very "there's fuckin spaghettios in your gas tank!" Moment.

Cat Hatter posted:

Jokes aside, was that guy in the parking lot? I've never been to a junkyard that doesn't already have all the cars up on blocks.
It was parked in a muddy area and he snuck in after hours to jack it up and cut it out. They had known someone was getting in for a while because they kept finding unprocessed cars jacked up still with the cats cut out. Even had a suspicion who it was, since he was apparently always trying to curry favor by ratting people out for pocketing stuff? I heard that third hand, can't confirm.

They came in one morning and found him squashed under a gold dodge caravan IIRC.

E: https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/local/worcester-police-identify-man-killed-in-junkyard/article_70359dd2-00b8-5bf0-8968-162d7d0abd06.html
https://www.telegram.com/story/news/2014/06/20/police-worcester-junkyard-victim-was/36981237007/

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 29, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao what a stupid way to die

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

lmao what a stupid way to die

https://youtu.be/IJNR2EpS0jw

kastein posted:

I think that and Chris with the beans and pineapple are what really cracked me up. It was a very "there's fuckin spaghettios in your gas tank!" Moment.

It was parked in a muddy area and he snuck in after hours to jack it up and cut it out. They had known someone was getting in for a while because they kept finding unprocessed cars jacked up still with the cats cut out. Even had a suspicion who it was, since he was apparently always trying to curry favor by ratting people out for pocketing stuff? I heard that third hand, can't confirm.

They came in one morning and found him squashed under a gold dodge caravan IIRC.

E: https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/local/worcester-police-identify-man-killed-in-junkyard/article_70359dd2-00b8-5bf0-8968-162d7d0abd06.html
https://www.telegram.com/story/news/2014/06/20/police-worcester-junkyard-victim-was/36981237007/
Remember you talked about that when we were there and some toothless LKQ stripper called you out for making fun of how they died? That place...

And yeah the beans and pineapple are another one for the history books.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Posting this in the HCH tools thread as well.

For those of you who might be looking, Tekton has 20% off sale on ratcheting wrenches right now until some time in July I think.

Also the email I got mentioned that there will be some discontinued sets going on clearance in the not too distant future.

https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/ratcheting-wrenches

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wesleywillis posted:

For those of you who might be looking, Tekton has 20% off sale on ratcheting wrenches right now until some time in July I think.

Also the email I got mentioned that there will be some discontinued sets going on clearance in the not too distant future.

Thanks for making my wallet lighter. Picked up a few missing ones. I don't know how I've worked on cars this long and didn't have a 17 and 19mm ratcheting.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My local equivalent to Walmart or Home Depot has got a 3 ton jack like this for 150€ at the moment. Are they a bad idea or good enough for what they are?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
In general, hydraulic floor jacks like that one are very good at lifting cars compared to pretty much any other contraption short of a car lift. If you don't have a floor jack already I think you will like it, provided you work on a smooth, hard surface. It's impossible to say if the one depicted is good enough or bad. In general it's nice if a jack can lift pretty high up before they run out of travel, this adds flexibility when placing jack stands and so on. If your car is low to the ground it might be too tall to fit under it without extra effort (bro's MX-5 needs to be driven up on boards or something to make it taller when using most floor jacks, for example). If you will ever need to lift or carry the jack around for some reason, a lighter aluminium model might be worth spending some extra money.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a small light model I have permanently installed in my car after I got a flat once and had to deal with the terrible factory jack. So I do know they are pretty great, and it was cheap one too.

I'm gonna have this bigger floor jack in my shop permanently, turning my woodworking shop into metalworking / car and moving my woodworking stuff into another building. Just making sure these things don't get reputations as death traps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just making sure these things don't get reputations as death traps.

I mean, use jack stands regardless of the jack you have.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Uthor posted:

I mean, use jack stands regardless of the jack you have.

You might say I have a similar question about jackstands. The ones in stores always looked a bit... unreliable to me. Like they could topple if you hit the car or did something particularly aggro with stubborn bolt. But maybe it's just me.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

You might say I have a similar question about jackstands. The ones in stores always looked a bit... unreliable to me. Like they could topple if you hit the car or did something particularly aggro with stubborn bolt. But maybe it's just me.

Jack stands are designed to have a generous amount of resistance to tipping over. Far more often what happens is the cam slips which is why I only use double locking jack stands such as these:

Note the silver pin that slides through the frame and engages with the teeth of the moving portion of the jack stand. You can also get pedestal-style jack stands which rely on a through pin and not a cam lock.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Project Farm did reviews of both jack stands and floor jacks like that, the former included shoving a vehicle sitting on them to see if they'll topple. As I recall the results were overall encouraging, small nudges aren't going to do it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

And bigger jackstands have wider bases and taller arms. So you might want to get big 6 ton jack stands even with a 2 ton vehicle, just for the extra height.

Make sure your floor jack max height is higher than your jackstand minimum height, though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

For what it's worth, I prefer the kind pictured above where the body is stamped out of two pieces of metal and joined together rather than the kind that are four pieces of angle iron with four flat pieces welded on for bracing.

It's been a while since I watched Hydraulic Press Channel crushing jacks but I think I remember welds breaking not being a huge issue, so it's probably just my unfounded hangup.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cat Hatter posted:

For what it's worth, I prefer the kind pictured above where the body is stamped out of two pieces of metal and joined together rather than the kind that are four pieces of angle iron with four flat pieces welded on for bracing.

It's been a while since I watched Hydraulic Press Channel crushing jacks but I think I remember welds breaking not being a huge issue, so it's probably just my unfounded hangup.

I think there were some Harbor Frieght ones that were recalled for bad welds a while back.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I was actually surprised how much abuse a scissor jack could take.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never actually seen a scissor jack fail mechanically but I have seen them tip over due to being very unstable as a design. Most often while being used on the axle that the parking brake or parking pawl acts on but a few times on the non driven axle too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

therobit posted:

I think there were some Harbor Frieght ones that were recalled for bad welds a while back.

I was going to say that recall was for the cam not properly locking the stand into place, but it turns out that was the original recall and the replacement stands weren't welded properly. Best part is that they were the sturdier design I prefer. I guess its still fewer points of failure to have fewer welds, but if they're determined to gently caress up building a jack stand they're going to manage anyway.

kastein posted:

I've never actually seen a scissor jack fail mechanically but I have seen them tip over due to being very unstable as a design. Most often while being used on the axle that the parking brake or parking pawl acts on but a few times on the non driven axle too.

I remember watching Wall E and when Eve uses a jack to bend his crushed body back into shape I was thinking "oh look, the only safe use for a scissor jack"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elem7 posted:

Project Farm did reviews of both jack stands and floor jacks like that, the former included shoving a vehicle sitting on them to see if they'll topple. As I recall the results were overall encouraging, small nudges aren't going to do it.

i recall seeing a review, might have been this one, where several jacks were tested that were basically all the same design but at wildly different prices. the result was that the pricier ones worked better, because there was more attention paid to assembly/fit&finish. the cheaper ones could have been QA failures for the more expensive ones, with a different sticker on them.

that is to say, the cheaper ones might be fine, but i would want to inspect the actual unit im buying in the store to make sure everything is square and fully welded and not missing any bushings or whatever.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Buddy borrowed my jack and liked it so much he basically asked me how much I wanted for it. An upgrade is not out of the question. What’s a decent portable-ish jack that’s a good compromise between small size and decent lifting height?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

HF aluminum jacks I’d say. Plenty on offer, so pick what fits your lifting requirements.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bolind posted:

Buddy borrowed my jack and liked it so much he basically asked me how much I wanted for it. An upgrade is not out of the question. What’s a decent portable-ish jack that’s a good compromise between small size and decent lifting height?

I keep a 1.5T harbor freight aluminum racing jack in the trunk of my Jetta, I don't trust the one leg scissor jack it came with for poo poo since it rolled off of it once (fortunately the wheel was sitting in the wheel well so it ended up not being too bad, bent the fender up a little). It was around $70 but the price varies, there's frequent sales. Also some little 2T jack stands and wheel chocks. The lift height isn't amazing but you can add some wood or get third party accessories to increase the height if you need it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pump-64545.html

Never used them myself but I've seen these on youtube:
https://www.911motorsports.net/Floor-Jack-Extension_p_77.html

There's a 2T as well that's a little bigger, as well as 2.5 and 3T in increasing size and price. The 3T Daytona is what I have in the garage, I got the low profile one since it lifts a little higher for $20 more (I think it was $189 and the normal 3T was $169 at the time). The jetta isn't heavy enough to need the 3T jack but I do some work on my dad's jeep which is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't open the harbor freight link as a dirty foreigner but I've been using a 1.5 aluminum jack for years now as well. Looks like this:

When searching for it now it seems to cost almost $300 which is :lol: I don't think it was much over $100 when I bought it.

But it's a huge difference compared to larger steel jacks especially if you ever need to take it to a track day or something. Reasonable lifting capacity and height for DIY use on cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't open the harbor freight link as a dirty foreigner but I've been using a 1.5 aluminum jack for years now as well. Looks like this:

Yeah, that came out of the exact same factory in china.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

How good is this brands reputation?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Solid mid-tier.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Somewhere between big box store brand and like snap on/ matco etc.....

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Just be aware that those are 6-point wrenches which may or may not be a problem for you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm going to jump into the Makita XGT 40v ecosystem with their new 21" mower. Are there any killer tools in that line I should keep an eye out for?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Obviously the microwave and coffee maker.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

Obviously the microwave and coffee maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9waq-OKCnig

:wth:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:

Looks like there's a review of it (in Japanese E: has English subs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUor3FwLZ_k

Also of the coffee maker, in very English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xOEIpbxM4w

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 9, 2023

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

That guy left the soy sauce tube in WTF. Also I want that pistol grip hand blower he used to clean the foam mesh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Got the mower. It sucks rear end. Super disappointing.

I'm cutting a decent amount, but not huge. Something that my old Ego would do with a 7.5ah battery and a 2.5ah battery.

From the start, the Makita was slow, like full speed and I was thinking I could push it faster. Worse than that, though? From the literature: "The mower can cut up to 3/5 of an acre in 54 minutes or less with two 40V XGT 4.0Ah batteries."

I've got .29 acres, heavily landscaped, so the beds take up a good percentage and a big house footprint.

I got just over half way done, that was from full charge of both batteries first. :fuckoff:

Edit: Makita bills this as a "gas replacement." I'm so confused.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 10, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Got the mower. It sucks rear end. Super disappointing.

I'm cutting a decent amount, but not huge. Something that my old Ego would do with a 7.5ah battery and a 2.5ah battery.

From the start, the Makita was slow, like full speed and I was thinking I could push it faster. Worse than that, though? From the literature: "The mower can cut up to 3/5 of an acre in 54 minutes or less with two 40V XGT 4.0Ah batteries."

I've got .29 acres, heavily landscaped, so the beds take up a good percentage and a big house footprint.

I got just over half way done, that was from full charge of both batteries first. :fuckoff:

That sucks.

I wonder if the grass they cut to come up with their literature number was already short, like "sure, this will run for 54 minutes as long as you cut your grass every other day" or something.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Seems like a big enough letdown to return it all and get out of that battery ecosystem.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I know the discussion was four months and like ten pages ago, but on the topic of Max Jacks and other scissor style lift systems, I have a bit of a conundrum: I have the second largest car Ford ever made in a 1977 Lincoln Mark V and also one of the smallest they made for the US market in a 2019 Fiesta ST. Is there any kind of home jack/lift system short of two or four post that can accommodate such drastically different vehicles?

Here’s some stats that I’m working with.
Lincoln
  • Curb Weight - 4960 lb
  • Wheelbase - 120.4”
  • Bumper jackpoints and body-on-frame

Fiesta
  • Curb Weight - 2743 lb
  • Wheelbase - 98”
  • Distance between jack points - ~53”

I’ve also got a Saturn Vue and a 14 Cherokee, which are just in the middle somewhere

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Put 1 Fiesta jack under each axle of the Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Somewhere between big box store brand and like snap on/ matco etc.....

What is the quality of their ratchets like? I bought a 200 piece box of generic sockets because I don’t have space in my townhouse to bring my real tool kit in from my parents garage and I figured it’s pretty hard to screw up a 6 point socket.

So far I’ve been right about the sockets, but oh boy is it possible to make a ratchet suck……