Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1640879188449320960
Juryo promotions for May: Fujiseiun, Chiyosakae (returning), and Tokihayate

Kawazoe (4-3 at Ms3) and Shiden (6-1 at Ms6) remain eternally on the cusp, Shimanoumi and Tsushimanada get an unlikely reprieve. (tbh, it's a bit galling to see Shiden getting screwed again while the sumo gods grant Shimanoumi yet another soft demotion, but watcha gonna do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Kenning posted:

A few days late but here we are.
?
Final Results

Makuuchi
code:
56	Thauros
56	Tiny Bug Child
54.5	NuclearPotato
54	Ice Phisherman
54	Saturnine Aberrance
50.5	GoatSeeGuy
50	Teddybear
49	Marching Powder
48.5	Akiosan
44.5	Iron Chef Nex
44.5	MyChemicalImbalance
44	Banana Canada
43.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
43	Khizan
42	anakha
41.5	Fluffdaddy
41.5	Helianthus Annuus
41	Vargatron
40	LlamaTrauma
40	MalarkeyToboggan
39.5	captainblastum
39	Mode 7
36.5	bartolimu
36.5	ratmosphere
35.5	Eli949
35	Kenning
34.5	Jobbo_Fett
34.5	Netsky
33.5	pseudodragon
32.5	sivad
32	Communist Thoughts
32	Liquid Communism
31.5	Kuros
31.5	Tochiazuma
30.5	scripterror
30	Pakled
29.5	Charles Gnarwin
26	Flinger
25	Crusty Nutsack
Juryo
code:
53.5	Gaghskull
50	Fearless
49.5	Lid
49	PJ
47	Robviously
45.5	Elissimpark
43	Brut
41.5	bessantj
41.5	Dead Goon
41	Log082
41	whats for dinner
40	Beexoffel
40	QuasiQuack
40	ullerrm
39	do it on my face
39	riderchop
39	Single Tight Female
38.5	Average Lettuce
38.5	Chinook
37	rare Magic card l00k
35	Eldoop
34.5	Nativity In Black
33	Boogalo
32	Bentai
31.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
30.5	Ben Nerevarine
30	oldskool
29.5	ImplicitAssembler
26.5	Pvt. Public
26.5	Xerzes
Congratulations to...our first ever co-kozuna, Thauros and Tiny Bug Child. I went to go look up a tie-breaker, and it turned out not only did these two posters end up with the same team after all the drafting (despite Thauros not getting their first pick on every rank), but they also traded out Wakatakakage for Kiribayama on the same day. They're also the 2 top-ranked ozeki. That's far too much synchronicity for me, so they can lift the cup together. Perhaps we should start picking a juryo rikishi for tie-breaking purposes, but this hasn't happened before, so I'm not too worried about it. Also, congratulations to Gaghskull for taking the juryo yusho, with an all kachi-koshi team (except for Takakeisho, obv.).

Interestingly, Takakeisho withdrawing early dropped the high scores this basho, but didn't really drop the low scores. I'm not sure what this means, if anything. Hopefully next basho gets us another ozeki or two so we can start having more action up in the top ranks! A reminder, I won't be able to run the Natsu basho, but no matter what we'll be back for Nagoya.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: With Takakeisho out, no actual all KK teams, but the following people only had a loss from Takakeisho: Everyones Favorite Poster, GoatSeeGuy, MyChemicalImbalance, NuclearPotato, Gaghskull, Lid
Kanto-sho: Gaghskull
Shukun-sho: Ice Phisherman, Saturnine Aberrance, Thauros, Tiny Bug Child

Fun basho, as usual. Frankly, a bit more than usual. At the start I was concerned about how exciting it would be, but it feels like the wheels are starting to turn towards a new generation of ozeki etc., and I hope they can keep going. Goonzuke to follow in a bit, once I have a bit of time to work it through.

(Quoting for the new page)

Wow! That's quite the nice surprise. Seemed like the start was really slow, but the turnaround happened in the end. I'll continue to strive my best to effectively show my brand of fantasy sumo and avoid any posting injuries.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My brand of sumo has delivered me a basho where I did not finish dead last. I will continue to gambarize as we enter the Spring Goongyo tour, and aim to rise to midpack for Natsu!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

Interestingly, Takakeisho withdrawing early dropped the high scores this basho, but didn't really drop the low scores. I'm not sure what this means, if anything.

The highest scores have a lot of KKs on their team, with the winners often getting the gino-sho for a no-MK team, so losing a KK here brought them all down. The lowest scores, on the other hand, have a lot of MKs and so a guaranteed MK doesn't really change them much.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

This was my first basho participating in the fantasy draft. At first, I found it detracted from some of the fun in that it felt like it was limiting who I could support. After a couple of days I decided I didn't give a poo poo and so I went back to cheering for virtually everyone (except Ryuden) and just kept an eye out for points after the fact. It was sad to see Takakeisho have to bow out to injury and his present hopes for yokozuna end with that but hopefully he can get healthy and start the run over again. My stable performed quite well in my eyes, though I feel bad for Hokutofuji falling just short of KK because I get a kick out of watching him. I also had a lot of fun cheering for Shodai even though he wasn't in my stable; I feel for the guy and frankly couldn't be upset even when he beat people who were a part of my stable. Kiribayama's electrifying yusho (Daiesho and Midorifuji should be proud of what they have accomplished too) was something special to behold and I really enjoyed seeing Juryo roiled by the passage of Ichinojo, Asanoyama and the arrival of Ochiai. The match between the latter two was superb-- as Ochiai gets more experience, he is going to be terrifying. Overall, it was a hell of a basho and I really can't wait until May. Thank you, Kenning, for your hard work in keeping up on everything and running the numbers to make this aspect of the basho possible.

I have resolved though that I will not trade someone out in the event of injury or poor performance while a basho is in progress. The idea of discarding someone when they probably need folks cheering for them most does not sit well with me and so I will not do it. I also follow hockey and support the Maple Leafs and am used to losing in new and innovative ways so this holds no terrors for me.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Thanks for organising the Fantasy Sumo, Kenning!
I got a much better score that my previous two bashos so I am quite pleased.
I wish you all the best for the wedding and much happiness to the both of you!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thank you Kenning, seems like my brand of Sumo improved considerably after ditching WTG when he was 0-5.

Tactics for next Basho will be to do good sumo and to defeat my rivals.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Very glad to have returned to my style of fantasy sumo. A totally middle-ing score with nothing really recommending it.

Thank you very much for running the fantasy basho again, Kenning and best of luck with your wedding!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I continue my run of pulling 8-7 and 7-8 performances.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I continue my run of pulling 8-7 and 7-8 performances.
You could be the next Endo!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hirayuki posted:

You could be the next Endo!

I was heading towards being Tokushoryu and falling out of Juryo but somehow I've stabilized on the middle of Makuuchi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I think I did just enough to avoid demotion. Hope this isn't the start of my fantasy Shodai phase.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Thanks for running fantasy again Kenning. Was a rollercoaster as always!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I think this was one of the best bashos in a while, with some fantastic performances and incredible techniques in some bouts. Sad to see my boy midorifuji peter out at the end after such a hot start, but I feel like this is just the beginning for him (hopefully not the beginning of the end like what happened to enho).

Thanks for running fantasy sumo Kenning!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I will continue to pursue my brand of sumo no matter how many times I come in dead last.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1640879188449320960
Juryo promotions for May: Fujiseiun, Chiyosakae (returning), and Tokihayate

Kawazoe (4-3 at Ms3) and Shiden (6-1 at Ms6) remain eternally on the cusp, Shimanoumi and Tsushimanada get an unlikely reprieve. (tbh, it's a bit galling to see Shiden getting screwed again while the sumo gods grant Shimanoumi yet another soft demotion, but watcha gonna do).

isn't it generally required to go 7-0 to get promoted from under ms5? frustrating since at ms5e he's as close as posisible to that zone without being in it but i'm not surprised

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

and thanks for running the basho as always and i'll gratefully accept half a giant macaron and a large fish

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Thanks for running the fantasy sumo, Kenning and congrats to everyone who scored better than me which is almost all of you. :(

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Thauros posted:

isn't it generally required to go 7-0 to get promoted from under ms5? frustrating since at ms5e he's as close as posisible to that zone without being in it but i'm not surprised
it's borderline - the 'guarantee' historically is 6-1 from Ms5 and above and 7-0 from Ms15 and above - but someone on SumoForum who's got a good grasp of how to pull results out of the DB found that Tsushimanada is the first guy in 60 years to finish 4-11 at J9 and not be demoted, and out of 43 guys who finished 5-10 at J11, Shimanoumi's the 3rd to stay up in the same period.

6-1 at Ms6 is as close as you can get, and Shimanoumi in particular just posted 5 straight makekoshi from M9 (four of them double digits), so it feels like they're holding a grudge against Shiden for when he acommpanied his senior (Hidenoumi) to a gambling den and 'played on an illegal slot machine' (lol) a couple of years back, which sucks for a guy who's been in he promotion slots 10 times but never made a Juryo debut and is now 31.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i'm in the middle of the pack ......just like tochi.......

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Thauros posted:

Nah, in addition to what was said above, if you're Ms6 and all the Ms1-5 guys get makekoshi, you're up.

Here's a list of people getting to Juryo from Ms6, the most recent on that list is Enho who was promoted with a 4-3 score. If we change that 6 to a 7 we'll find Takayoshitoshi (a few basho before becoming Takanofuji, a few basho before becoming an MMA fighter) got promoted relatively recently with a 5-2 record.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEJtLPpLsQ

OOOOOOCHHHIIIIIAIIIIIIII

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Woof -- not quite as optimistic that I'm going to be there for day one of May basho now :(

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder what they did that got the Sumo Association so pissed off. I'm guessing it must have been pretty bad.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Imagining drunk Americans haranguing the sekitori as they leave the kokugikan after their bouts.

"You SUCK, Shodai!"

Could also be drunk Australians and gyoji which probably gets more disrespectful.

"Wipe the poo poo out of your eyes, Kimura!"

(Based on actual footy heckling witnessed as a child.)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Elissimpark posted:

Could also be drunk Australians

i tried to popularise polite heckling while drunk off my rear end at a mate's 3rd division afl grand final. i'd scream things like 'i disagree with your decision referee, but i admire your candour and commitment'. it got funny looks from players and the referees and laughs from the nearby spectators but did not take off as a concept.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Marching Powder posted:

i tried to popularise polite heckling while drunk off my rear end at a mate's 3rd division afl grand final. i'd scream things like 'i disagree with your decision referee, but i admire your candour and commitment'. it got funny looks from players and the referees and laughs from the nearby spectators but did not take off as a concept.

lmao

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
polite heckling is the best

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

some kinda jackal posted:

Woof -- not quite as optimistic that I'm going to be there for day one of May basho now :(

Oh no, I was hoping to do just this in September. Hopefully it's sorted by then?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I'm really curious what actually happened.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

Oh no, I was hoping to do just this in September. Hopefully it's sorted by then?

it doesn't sound like they're banned from selling *any* tickets at least, just the "food/souvenir" set combo. still really sucks for some kinda jackal and anyone else hosed over because two people had to be idiots. i plan on going to japan either in august or november and i don't expect i'll be able to see sumo but i still hope to use them for pro wrestling tickets as i did in 2019.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Since the issue happened "outside the arena" my guesses are they tried getting too fresh with wrestlers going to/from the stadium, or maybe they raised a stink about something, expecting the normal western reaction of "doing whatever you can to placate them/shut them up."

Either way, whatever happened must have been huge to get this kind of direct action from the JSA.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I should see foreign tourists also getting really aggressive and racist about Japanese people continuing to wear masks at higher rates

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have two days “preordered” so best case scenario I still get day 1 just in a different seat. Worst case I don’t get day one but still have a backup. I’ll make it out of this ok. The only reason I got the set seat was because I wanted to live a little bit I’m ok without food or gift bag. I’d actually feel sorry for someone who just had one day booked and doesn’t have a fallback in case tix are unavailable :(

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Thauros posted:

it doesn't sound like they're banned from selling *any* tickets at least, just the "food/souvenir" set combo. still really sucks for some kinda jackal and anyone else hosed over because two people had to be idiots. i plan on going to japan either in august or november and i don't expect i'll be able to see sumo but i still hope to use them for pro wrestling tickets as i did in 2019.

Yeah, I was actually wanting to do that combo. Sumo Prime Time did a video about it during the January tournament and it looked like an interesting experience.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
We wound up wishing we had done the snack pack.

Not to say that there was anything wrong with the dried squid and beer we got from the regular vendors.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finally catching up on the basho - I've had Some Things going on in my personal life that meant after around Day 2 I really wasn't able to give the basho any of my attention, which proved to be unfortunate because man I would have traded off Bushozan by Day 6 at the latest if I'd been paying attention. :v:

It was very cool to see Shodai SHODAI-ing and although I wish Hoshoryu had been able to nail his final win against Takayasu, the uwatenage he slammed Wakamotoharu with on Day 14 was one of my favourite moments of the basho. Well, that and the grins on both him and Tobizaru after their Day 9 match. They're precious and I love them.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i was just thinking do you think there's any merit to starting a separate basho thread? it definitely speaks to the quality of my posts but sometimes i'd go to say something but didn't because the extra 10 seconds i'd need to put it in spoilers.

considering how many people play fantasy the actual chat about the basho is very minimal and i don't know it feels weird. do people just not want to talk about the basho or would a separate thread encourage more posts?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I watch on a delay so my daily reactions or "check this bout" takes are stale by the time I've written them, I usually stay out of the thread until I've watched that day to avoid spoilers, maybe other delayed watchers are doing similar and posting less mid Basho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My honest two cents is that I don’t think splitting sumo into GDT and N/V would be worth the effort for the amount of posts (though we are growing) that they generate. My prediction is that you’d have five or six joke (ok well not joke but.. you know) SHODAI!! posts and then probably an equal number of SHODAI!! posts in the N/V. I think GDTs align themselves more to sports where you want to TV-IV them live and not after the fact, the way most of us consume Sumo.

I’m sympathetic to the problem but bifurcating the posts on an a thread that gets a page or so worth of content after a day is probably not worth the effort IMO.

In other news, I got both tickets! Going to be at the Kokugikan on day 1 and day 4! I got bumped from front row seats to second row (Arena A) for day one which is a bit of a bummer but what can ‘ya do. Stupid gaijin antics gonna cost us all. Still in “Arena S” front row for day 4 so Big Bear better bring his A game S game where I can view his glory unobstructed.