Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some good very Eastern European news:

quote:

Uzbekistan: domestic violence is now a criminal offense

It took a years-long campaign, waged in a highly repressive environment by women’s rights activists, but finally, on April 6 the Uzbek Senate unanimously approved the crime of domestic violence through an amendment to the criminal code.

In addition to cases of physical violence, stalking, and harassment will be criminalized; sexual offenders will not be eligible for parole.

The Senate also approved a series of measures that will strengthen women’s protection mechanisms.

According to the latest available data, more than 12,000 cases of physical violence against women were reported from January to November 2021.
https://www.pressenza.com/2023/04/uzbekistan-domestic-violence-is-now-a-criminal-offense/

Russia is finally losing its influence over Central Asia :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A rare human rights :unsmith: moment for Central Asia

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Great success!

Hell, domestic violence and rape was criminalised in Finland only in the 1990's. Patriarchy must fall.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 10, 2023

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Aumanor posted:

No words can begin to describe how much I detest the climate of this miserable corner of the world.

I used to live in southern california

now i live in warsaw

the whiplash was pretty intense, but I got over it after 10 years (not really, winter is awful)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If it was just winter... but like 5 if not 6 months of the year downright suck, and I'm not even a huge "outdoors" person.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s not great. And I hate to say it, but there is an upside to global warming in Poland - summers are more mild and last until October.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

It’s not great. And I hate to say it, but there is an upside to global warming in Poland - summers are more mild and last until October.

this reminds that i should return to looking for apartments with AC, to avoid boiling alive in +40 when we have the summer heat waves

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this reminds that i should return to looking for apartments with AC, to avoid boiling alive in +40 when we have the summer heat waves

Just went through this, prepare to be disappointed. Assuming you’re in a multi-flat building.

Home AC in this part of Europe is still not popular enough to keep prices sensible. Compressor with three small units was quoted at 3k€.

If it’s a multi-flat building, you need to get clearance from your home association or whatever equivalent you have. You need to patch it into your power grid (check if the machine doesn’t need a more powerful connection which usually requires an business energy contract).

External unit can go into your external wall, which is easiest but looks like rear end and you’re responsible if a storm rips it out and drops it on a car. I tried to have it installed in the roof as Im on the last floor, so it’d be piped through the ventilation duct - again, need to involve the chimney sweep dudes to give the all clear. Power tariffs are constructed in such a way that there’s no way to run the AC cheaply. One upside is you can use it for heating in the winter, but Polish buildings are very good on that front so :shrug:. All dudes I had over to give quotes were extra dodgy.

As far as the heat is concerned, I’m reminded about an anecdote I heard about the Dutch being perplexed by Polish people renting apartments in the Netherlands in the winter, as they’d usually turn the heating all the way up, open the windows and walk around in their underwear. I sort if get this - I lived in these block buildings all my life and you have very little control over the heaters that for some reason usually are centrally set by the city to give everyone 1000 C.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Just went through this, prepare to be disappointed.

to be clear, i'm taking a break from being disappointed already :v:

riga municipal law doesn't allow public-facing ACs, and latvian property law does define "visual silhouette" of a multi-tenant building as a shared property element, meaning that even if i have a non "public-facing" window, which doesn't always coincide with it overlooking a street/road, i have to secure the absolute majority of votes of property owners/their ownership rights delegates in the building.

say, you've done all of that (it's impossible in reality, but whatever). then you have to establish how your AC will actually get mounted, which often will mandate a dedicated construction project under our code. this then goes through city administration for months, you need to get an architect, etcetera.

the problem is not the price in my case, it's that it's legally impossible to install one in my current place, which leaves me contending with options such as doubling-tripling my rent. lowkey hoping ecb hawks like Kazāks will just end up bulldozing the landlords with an eventual hike to 4%

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 11, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also, not being able to install my own will be a cool one for electricity prices yea. the actually new stuff is surprisingly efficient

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 11, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

Just went through this, prepare to be disappointed. Assuming you’re in a multi-flat building.

Home AC in this part of Europe is still not popular enough to keep prices sensible. Compressor with three small units was quoted at 3k€.

If it’s a multi-flat building, you need to get clearance from your home association or whatever equivalent you have. You need to patch it into your power grid (check if the machine doesn’t need a more powerful connection which usually requires an business energy contract).

External unit can go into your external wall, which is easiest but looks like rear end and you’re responsible if a storm rips it out and drops it on a car. I tried to have it installed in the roof as Im on the last floor, so it’d be piped through the ventilation duct - again, need to involve the chimney sweep dudes to give the all clear. Power tariffs are constructed in such a way that there’s no way to run the AC cheaply. One upside is you can use it for heating in the winter, but Polish buildings are very good on that front so :shrug:. All dudes I had over to give quotes were extra dodgy.

As far as the heat is concerned, I’m reminded about an anecdote I heard about the Dutch being perplexed by Polish people renting apartments in the Netherlands in the winter, as they’d usually turn the heating all the way up, open the windows and walk around in their underwear. I sort if get this - I lived in these block buildings all my life and you have very little control over the heaters that for some reason usually are centrally set by the city to give everyone 1000 C.

Christ on a loving cross, that's insane. All you need to do in :italy: is make sure the compressor is not bolted on a road-facing wall and done by a certified installer. The flat management can't say poo poo unless the install is done shoddily and puts people at risk.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
My parents got a heat pump installed last year so it's doable if a) you can navigate the paperwork b) your neighbors don't feel like screwing you over. Not gonna happen if you're renting though.

SlowBloke posted:

Christ on a loving cross, that's insane. All you need to do in :italy: is make sure the compressor is not bolted on a road-facing wall and done by a certified installer. The flat management can't say poo poo unless the install is done shoddily and puts people at risk.

Temperatures of 30+C° lasting more than a few days was the exception not too long ago so the legislation around AC units still considers them bourgeois luxuries rather than a basic necessity

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Majority of people here cannot afford it anyway.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mobby_6kl posted:

If it was just winter... but like 5 if not 6 months of the year downright suck, and I'm not even a huge "outdoors" person.

And the darkness, the darkness. When I moved to Poland for work, my other option was Iceland, which I almost took... but I'm not used to this latitude and I just can't adjust to the insanely long nights in winter- I'm really glad I didn't take the Iceland job.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

And the darkness, the darkness. When I moved to Poland for work, my other option was Iceland, which I almost took... but I'm not used to this latitude and I just can't adjust to the insanely long nights in winter- I'm really glad I didn't take the Iceland job.

Food’s better too

Edit: unless you’re into fresh ocean,fish, and things salted and buried underground for a year i guess

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 11, 2023

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mokotow posted:

Food’s better too

Edit: unless you’re into fresh ocean,fish, and things salted and buried underground for a year i guess

Never been there but yeah I suspect the food is better here. Warsaw is a lot cheaper than reykjavik too.

I have mixed feelings about polish food; some really really great stuff, but will never understand the affinity for beets.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Darkness is something that's getting to me enough with the years that I'm half-seriously considering emigrating based on it alone. That said, moving into a flat with non-prison cell windows should help a great deal, too.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Darkness is something that's getting to me enough with the years that I'm half-seriously considering emigrating based on it alone. That said, moving into a flat with non-prison cell windows should help a great deal, too.

I have a great view in my apartment, no amount of windows will make the dark winters any more tolerable. My wife and I went through a really awful, traumatic thing last summer and both of us were incredibly greatful that it didn't happen in winter, both of us aknowledged that the darkness would have seriouly impacted our survivability (as a couple and as living human persons).

We're moving to the US next year to a place with a very similar climate, but a full extra hour and half of sunlight in winter!!!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Went through this last year, we were pretty close to moving far south, like Sardinia or Corsica, but decided to have a kid instead. But also, having sun on most days all year round is nice, but 40+ temps for 4-5 months straight are another kind of hell.

Also, it seems like Poland has finally hit this nice point of being organized enough due to proximity to Germany, while keeping the Slav flexibility of not being a dick about everything in the name of order. Southern europe can get infuriating fast.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Went through this last year, we were pretty close to moving far south, like Sardinia or Corsica, but decided to have a kid instead. But also, having sun on most days all year round is nice, but 40+ temps for 4-5 months straight are another kind of hell.

Also, it seems like Poland has finally hit this nice point of being organized enough due to proximity to Germany, while keeping the Slav flexibility of not being a dick about everything in the name of order. Southern europe can get infuriating fast.

NGL, I'd take 5+months of >40 over 5+ months of <10. I have no problems with the heat but the cold just straight up makes me want to die.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Aumanor posted:

NGL, I'd take 5+months of >40 over 5+ months of <10. I have no problems with the heat but the cold just straight up makes me want to die.

Maybe my genes have stewed long enough here and I need to keep em partially frozen

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I've heard a funny story about an ukrainian refugee hairdresser moving back to Kyiv because the threat of death was less terrifying than the depression epidemic we have going.

I moved to Portugal (for wife, not to be a gentrifying digitalhobo) and the sun, mediterranean food, no what we would call winter and importantly, a more tolerant and accepting society, is really good for mental health and well being. There's a lot of intergenerational historical trauma going in eastern europe and i don't know what it would take to resolve. It's even better if you can come to the baltics to spend the summer when the days are long, because our nature is superior and the cities are nearly empty with the students gone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aumanor posted:

I'm with Mokotow here, I can't handle 2 weeks of +30. 5 months of <10 is fine by me – I would just love to have more sunlight.

Mokotow posted:

Congrats! And no, as illustrated above, my idea of moving south is like Germany.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm with Mokotow here, I can't handle 2 weeks of +30. 5 months of <10 is fine by me

Same. I can dress for cold, I can't skin myself for heat. OTOH unless we are talking about like, Iceland winter, sunlight is overrated.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Xarn posted:

Same. I can dress for cold, I can't skin myself for heat. OTOH unless we are talking about like, Iceland winter, sunlight is overrated.

As a source of vitamin C and just a general happiness enzyme that gives you great health just because, it’s kinda great. As a flaming ball of hydrogen that’ll roast you mercilessly, it can be a bit much.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

I mean, I remember one month a handful of years ago, when I studied abroad elsewhere on the Baltic coast, where we had 2 hours of direct sunlight.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
*laughs in northern Swedish* :smith:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I just miss winters with actual snow for more than 2 weeks in year. Now it's "rain, clouds and +10" from October to May and I loving hate it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Szarrukin posted:

I just miss winters with actual snow for more than 2 weeks in year. Now it's "rain, clouds and +10" from October to May and I loving hate it.

You forgot infernal fog what is chock full of particulate and other pollutants to the list.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nidhg00670000 posted:

*laughs in northern Swedish* :smith:

Well, that 2-hour sunlight in November was in Uppsala, in fact. :v: I know it's not quite Norrland per se, but getting there.

Szarrukin posted:

Surprisingly, not a lot of rain here. +10 and dry is weather I'm generally happy enough with, as it's quite conductive to random outdoors poo poo (of the non-water variety). That said, not having snow for more than a few weeks or temperatures below -10 fore even a day or two is cringe.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Aumanor posted:

Why not both. I live in the middle of the Mediterranean and, for all practical intents and purposes, hibernate during summer when it does hit >40 and UV11 routinely. Thankfully, it's only 2-3 months out of the year.

I originally moved away because (but not only) because of SAD. Seems to have worked out okay so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Szarrukin posted:

:same:

If it was like -20 for a month that's one thing, but there's snow on the ground for a week and then just cold, dark, and wet for like half a year.

I hear a lot of chuds are leaving California, I need to go to there for the free real estate

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

If it was like -20 for a month that's one thing, but there's snow on the ground for a week and then just cold, dark, and wet for like half a year.

I hear a lot of chuds are leaving California, I need to go to there for the free real estate

If you want snow, you want upstate NY (near lake shores), which also offers rust belt real estate prices (and economic opportunities, and depressing winters). Also pretty sure CA real estate is still nuts.

https://goldensnowglobe.com/the-top-5-snowiest-cities-at-the-end-of-each-season/
(Totals are in inches -- 2.54cm each, also it seems Colorado has been very snowy lately)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy hell that's not mild at all even compared to Italy https://weatherspark.com/y/75057/Average-Weather-in-Trieste-Italy-Year-Round

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mobby_6kl posted:

Sadly, all the property is being bought up by investment banks to prevent the cost of real estate from dropping, they've adopted the debeers business model

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just move to the Midwest. Its pretty much all like the flat bits of Eastern Europe only colder in the winter and hotter in the summer, plus you get tornadoes AND blizzards! Y'all probably already have cousins here you don't even know about, and all the big cities have Polish/Ukrainian/Slavic populations to a greater or lesser extent. Just don't count on public transportation for anything, but just about all the housing has A/C.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I don't mind cold because I know that it will pass and I can dress accordingly and drink mulled wine. The same goes with heat. What I hate is the in-between periods when it's not winter but it's not summer either. Everywhere is muddy and depressing. At least in spring there is light and the nature is waking up. - today I saw swans and cranes and drove over a grouse that had deathwish. But I hate mud.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trieste seems hotter in the summers and colder in the winters, though not by much :confused:

I mean Portugal would probably have somewhat similar climate but then I'd still be in Eastern Europe.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I found a solution to that in getting a remote job and flying to SEA for winter times. This is my third year and I have never regretted the decision.
Of course, I have no kids, family, etc things that would make it harder. But it is one option for escaping the winter time baltic grayness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, I think it's fairly common, but my lifestyle is not particularly compatible with colonizing random southern countries every winter. That said, I also don't take sunny winter vacations at all, which should be easy enough to fix with my job paying for a certain amount of “work vacations” per year especially.