Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ughhhh posted:

I work in the NYC parks department. There were a lot of Easter celebration picnickers this year. Alot of them decided to do egg hunts and in an act of kindness used bright streamers to mark where the eggs were using plastic streamers with plastic eggs filled with plastic confetti. I saw a bunch of birds trying to gobble them up this afternoon as the wind blew it around.
lol

celebrating the miracle of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m around my niece this week who’s graduating high school this year and all of her friends are super about what colleges their getting into (of course). and talking about what programs for good careers with my brother and sister talking about what are good for long term careers. I’m just over here LMAOing. these are major bubble kids with rich parents. they really don’t get or are paying attention about what’s happening in the world.

and who knows, maybe they’ll all make a lot of money for a few years post college.

after all, it’s not bad… yet.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

plastic eggs are smart for not having a rotten egg hiding behind the radiator or something after a kids egg hunt but nobody reuses them year to year so the yolks on us

My family reused the plastic eggs....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ughhhh posted:

I work in the NYC parks department. There were a lot of Easter celebration picnickers this year. Alot of them decided to do egg hunts and in an act of kindness used bright streamers to mark where the eggs were using plastic streamers with plastic eggs filled with plastic confetti. I saw a bunch of birds trying to gobble them up this afternoon as the wind blew it around.

im a parks enjoyer and appreciater ty

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LionArcher posted:

I’m around my niece this week who’s graduating high school this year and all of her friends are super about what colleges their getting into (of course). and talking about what programs for good careers with my brother and sister talking about what are good for long term careers. I’m just over here LMAOing. these are major bubble kids with rich parents. they really don’t get or are paying attention about what’s happening in the world.

and who knows, maybe they’ll all make a lot of money for a few years post college.

after all, it’s not bad… yet.

Bubble kids with rich parents will still be eating three meals a day when the world population is four billion

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Gravid Topiary posted:

the countdown to the spiciness of Hot Niño summer is almost at an end :coal:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrPIPreHs0&t=

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chamale posted:

Bubble kids with rich parents will still be eating three meals a day when the world population is four billion

I'm pretty sure there is an elite conspiracy to get the world population down to 100 million or so.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm on a holiday right now, turning 20kg of solid wood into carbon dioxide every night.

It's nice

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bedpan posted:

I'm pretty sure there is an elite conspiracy to get the world population down to 100 million or so.

I don't think that's the plan, it's just a natural side effect of the billionaire class requiring massive overconsumption to get even richer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was watching tv tonight they had a show where teams compete to build ultra lux houses in some development on the lunar surface of the american west. each team put at least 6 fireplaces, firepits, fire everything. this one 4 address cul de sac could have like 50 separate fires going at one time not counting any kitchen cooking.

pretty funny. not really worth bringing up here cause theres probably an uncapped gas well over the backyard fence doing 10000x the ghg emissions but its just funny since you mention burning some wood just now how modern styling is to cram a fire feature into every space of the home and property.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bedpan posted:

this might be scary for you and i understand a lot of people like to cope over there being some grand plan, that the masters are driving the bus still. but reality is far more mundane and far more terrifying:

there is no plan. there is no one at the wheel. it's cybernetic capitalism self-perpetuating itself beyond control of mere individuals. the failsons are at the helm now.

there is no plan.

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin
depopulation is in the ruling class interest tho - but that's not at all equivalent to a conspiracy.

The plan is :tif:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
There's no plan, but things that reduce or weaken the population might be, let's say, capitalised on as there would be less need for domesticated consumers when we're out of easy fuel to sell back to ourselves and privilege retains its fluffy insulating effects from consequence. Would it be particularly profitable to stop anything? What's the path of least resistance when your biome can't tolerate further excess?

Not doing anything to change circumstances that make it harder to survive is also a decision.

It seems that the grossly inflated population only exists because of this period of excess energy, like a microbial civilization hiding in the grease traps of a burger chain; slowly going out of business and ultimately facing the bulldozer.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The less population, the less proletariat to prop up and enable the bourgeoisie. They might think they want it, but it's going to destroy their capacity to exploit others

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Osv18 posted:

depopulation is in the ruling class interest tho - but that's not at all equivalent to a conspiracy.

The plan is :tif:

it actually isn't. historically population depletion is bad for the ruling class. they need peons to produce their food and make profits, and prevent them from getting too uppity. the more peons, the more the peons crab bucket each other and don't look upwards because they can be more easily pit against each other. when the amount of peons rapidly consolidates then that becomes bad for ruling elite.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Salt n Reba McEntire posted:

There's no plan, but things that reduce or weaken the population might be, let's say, capitalised on as there would be less need for domesticated consumers when we're out of easy fuel to sell back to ourselves and privilege retains its fluffy insulating effects from consequence. Would it be particularly profitable to stop anything? What's the path of least resistance when your biome can't tolerate further excess?

Not doing anything to change circumstances that make it harder to survive is also a decision.

It seems that the grossly inflated population only exists because of this period of excess energy, like a microbial civilization hiding in the grease traps of a burger chain; slowly going out of business and ultimately facing the bulldozer.
at that point on it's less about capitalizing and rather than preservation. and yes absolutely contemporary population boom is driven solely by exploiting hundreds of millions of years of immense solar energy conveniently tucked away. the exponential growth is energy-driven .but it doesn't matter because when that point arrives, natural energy collapse will do its thing.

the most profitable course of action is always "use as much energy as possible" in a cybernetic sense. so no, it's still more profitable to continue until continuation isn't physically possible. but again, the top 20 richest billionaires could get together in a smokey room and go 'wow this is bad, we better do something' and they would still be unable to because it is beyond even their own ability to consume less energy/make less profits.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
if you drag worker units back to the hospital they spawned from you can break them down and get 50% of their cost back as gold

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pretend I posted that dandelion comic where that ayn randists find out they need proles to actually do things for them to live the high life

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Don't worry about the super-rich, they're already dreaming up ways to survive the apocalypse: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

quote:

The Event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, unstoppable virus, or Mr Robot hack that takes everything down.

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed in time.

That’s when it hit me: at least as far as these gentlemen were concerned, this was a talk about the future of technology. Taking their cue from Elon Musk colonizing Mars, Peter Thiel reversing the ageing process, or Sam Altman and Ray Kurzweil uploading their minds into supercomputers, they were preparing for a digital future that had a whole lot less to do with making the world a better place than it did with transcending the human condition altogether and insulating themselves from a very real and present danger of climate change, rising sea levels, mass migrations, global pandemics, nativist panic, and resource depletion. For them, the future of technology is really about just one thing: escape.
It is funny though, if you try to talk to anyone with kids (my sibling has 3) they just shut down hard if they aren't outright deniers and say "well it's not going to happen for a long time." I usually don't have the heart say "dumbass it's already happening" and just sort of wander off the topic. If she had kids the damage is already done anyway

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Stereotype posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanChariton/status/1645548218074136579?s=20

can't even clean up the previous industrial accidents without creating new industrial accidents

when I clicked on the thread today I thought the new title was about this

then boom! delicious freon surprise

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Renaissance Robot posted:

when I clicked on the thread today I thought the new title was about this

then boom! delicious freon surprise

much like mass shootings, it is impossible to tell which catastrophe anyone is talking about because there are so many happening concurrently

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

4d3d3d posted:

Don't worry about the super-rich, they're already dreaming up ways to survive the apocalypse: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

It is funny though, if you try to talk to anyone with kids (my sibling has 3) they just shut down hard if they aren't outright deniers and say "well it's not going to happen for a long time." I usually don't have the heart say "dumbass it's already happening" and just sort of wander off the topic. If she had kids the damage is already done anyway

My group of college friends from 20 years ago has a fairly active email thread still somehow. I often wonder of I should be asking then what they think of the future. The hope is that they could also become radicalized by the existential risk to their children, but I also feel it is kind of cruel to confront them with it when there’s nothing any of them can do about it. Although someone just had a kid a month or so ago, and maybe that’s some suffering that could have been prevented?

Of course, no one would believe it is as bad as I say it is, so it really would be alienating a bunch of human connections for no actual gain and :effort:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

4d3d3d posted:

I've got three kids, the youngest is 13, and I'm now full doomer. I can tell you it's hard reconciling the urge to do the traditional parenting pushing your kids towards their future when you don't believe it's worth anything

*crack* *ping*

:rubby:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

starkebn posted:

The less population, the less proletariat to prop up and enable the bourgeoisie. They might think they want it, but it's going to destroy their capacity to exploit others
If (when) there is mass population collapse, the lower/middle upper class will be very surprised to learn they aren't welcome in the multi-billionaire survivor compounds because they believe themselves to be above doing manual labor.

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Salt n Reba McEntire posted:

There's no plan, but things that reduce or weaken the population might be, let's say, capitalised on

:coronatoot:

quote:

a succinct and brutal dox. i feel seen.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

looking out the kitchen window in june 2023 and it's all

outside

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Gravid Topiary posted:

looking out the kitchen window in june 2023 and it's all

outside

Excited for our rad future.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BRJurgis posted:

Excited for our radiated future.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Real hurthling! posted:

im a parks enjoyer and appreciater ty

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
The Rising Chorus of Renewable Energy Skeptics: The green techno-dream is so vastly destructive, they say, ‘we have to come up with a different plan.’

quote:

Over 150 years civilization has built a highly complicated industrial system based on cheap fossil fuels. The cheapness of those fuels created a robust banking system and an industrial agricultural system. It fuelled urbanization and globalization. Moreover cheap energy sustained the illusion that resources are inexhaustible.

Now that fossil fuel emissions have cooked the climate and decimated biological diversity, our fearless leaders want to replace that entire system with one that is more mineral-intensive and complex.

They want to do so at a moment when economic flows have slowed down due to the rising cost of extreme fossil fuels such as fracked shale gas and mined bitumen. The whole process of replacing a declining system with a more complex mining-based enterprise is now supposed to take place with a fragile banking system, dysfunctional democracies, broken supply chains, critical mineral shortages and hostile geopolitics.

Meanwhile climate events are destroying infrastructure and producing great waves of homeless migrants from failing states.

All of these incontestable realities highlight the fact that our dreams of a renewable powered boom are illusory. We need a different conversation than fossil fuelled business as usual or a Green New Deal.

More and more it does seem that involuntary degrowth for the masses is going to be the only item on the menu, because that is the narrative starting to appear in more and more mainstream publications rather than fringe blogs and podcasts.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

More and more it does seem that involuntary degrowth for the masses is going to be the only item on the menu, because that is the narrative starting to appear in more and more mainstream publications rather than fringe blogs and podcasts.

It's about the only way they can manage the transition while keeping the existing power structures intact.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Rising Chorus of Renewable Energy Skeptics: The green techno-dream is so vastly destructive, they say, ‘we have to come up with a different plan.’

And the framing that renewables can’t work, versus our economic system doesn’t work, is a big tell.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

starkebn posted:

I'm on a holiday right now, turning 20kg of solid wood into carbon dioxide every night.

It's nice

That's just part of carbon flux, the natural ebb and flow of carbon on the surface through biological and physical processes. As long as you grow 20kg of wood every morning it's fine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

starkebn posted:

It's nice

I think you'd need to burn about 20 times as much wood to equal the emissions of a single 90 minute vacation flight from LA to Vegas so you better step it up

Have you tried setting an entire tree on fire

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

lol we absolutely blew past peak oil at some point and are running out of tricks to disguise it

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

dont worry we'll get new leaders with bold visions for restoring a future based on past glories and exciting fashion real soon

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
colorado river cuts coming! any day now

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Stereotype posted:

much like mass shootings, it is impossible to tell which catastrophe anyone is talking about because there are so many happening concurrently
capitalism has spawned a calamity hydra that can't be controlled but they won't stop feeding it

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/swolecialism/status/1645783474828189696?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

weve got lots of plants here