Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thread on fire today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm having an old friend for dinner."

*camera pans out as Hannibal follows Johny Hendricks down this street while GSP says "eeeh... Dahctar Lectar?" 50 times on the other end of the phone*

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

blue footed boobie posted:

Is it against the rules for a guy to go into a fight extremely well moisturized? I know they can’t go in with substances on them, but I didn’t know about lotion that comes out as you sweat.

Sexyama did it against Sakuraba on tape, applied six bottles of lotion on camera and got disqualified after the fact. His real punishment was when he got to the UFC and Joe Silva booked him to get beaten increasingly more viciously.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Is there an objective way to measure how lotioned a fighter is? I feel that if we don't draw a line in the sand, we are only inviting greasier fighters to take part in the sport.

Has a ref ever stopped a fight and demanded a fighter use an alcohol-based body wash in order to dry out their skin?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Stealth Tiger posted:

Is there an objective way to measure how lotioned a fighter is? I feel that if we don't draw a line in the sand, we are only inviting greasier fighters to take part in the sport.

Has a ref ever stopped a fight and demanded a fighter use an alcohol-based body wash in order to dry out their skin?

I'm the land of the ungreased, the basement gamer is king

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
oil. dome.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
GREASE ME UP, WOMAN!

https://youtu.be/UEc5KUtwrE8

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Lid posted:

Sexyama did it against Sakuraba on tape, applied six bottles of lotion on camera and got disqualified after the fact. His real punishment was when he got to the UFC and Joe Silva booked him to get beaten increasingly more viciously.

That was just his skincare routine!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

good point. we level the playing field and transform the octagon into a bowl filled with grease

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

crepeface posted:

good point. we level the playing field and transform the octagon into a bowl filled with grease
the YAMMA pit, warmed to 40 celcius

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i wonder if this would work for a running back/wide receiver in the NFL

new meta is greasing yourself up.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

crepeface posted:

Would MMA be better off if we rendered down the heavyweight division into tallow in order to lubricate all of our fighting surfaces? I wish to begin a civilized debate.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

No, wait, we render down 205 because they're just heavyweights but not hilarious. Use that to grease up the big boys. Heavyweight improves dramatically.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

He puts the oil on the floor
So he can win the dome again

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

TheKingslayer posted:

No, wait, we render down 205 because they're just heavyweights but not hilarious. Use that to grease up the big boys. Heavyweight improves dramatically.

lol im imagining two wet seals slipping and sliding all over the place as they attempt to set their feet to swing a haymaker

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kragger99 posted:

He puts the oil on the floor
So he can win the dome again
anyone saying this forum only used to be funny is full of poo poo

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Watching episode 1 of Shrinking. Frank Trigg made a very brief appearance.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
As a shrinker or shrinkee?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stealth Tiger posted:

The actual procedure is, I'm not kidding, that the ref wipes down the fighter with a paper and sees if it dries normal or as your window to DQ. I can't remember if it's with a paper towel or a special test strip that they're supposed to keep around but probably never do.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

CommonShore posted:

The actual procedure is, I'm not kidding, that the ref wipes down the fighter with a paper and sees if it dries normal or as your window to DQ. I can't remember if it's with a paper towel or a special test strip that they're supposed to keep around but probably never do.

wow they really use the simpsons test

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Lucasar posted:

As a shrinker or shrinkee?

A MMA trainer, funny enough :D

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Did Izzy say anything in the presser about how messed up his leg/s were getting?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Did Izzy say anything in the presser about how messed up his leg/s were getting?

i've been waiting to post about this. until pereira got caught, he was eating up izzy's leg and it might have been my imagination but even his very hittable 'lean back' approach to defence he seemed to be taking most of izzy's punches on the shoulder. i had pereira comfortably winning and in control until he stopped being conscious.

i'm memeing giving izzy poo poo for being scared but in all seriousness i don't blame him for wanting to fight any other opponent.

it kind of reminded me of manhoef / lawler lite.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Nothing outright descriptive. Specifically, he said "I knew my leg was hurt. I went southpaw. I was like I can't keep getting kicked like this. I knew this was it. Possum. Possum. Possum."

He added it was far sneakier/quicker than he realized and wants to learn how to land it like Pereira does because of how it worked so well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's a weird kick. i've watched it really closely and I can't tell the difference between when he's just flicking it out and when he's putting some stink on it. either way it should serve him and anyone else who finds a way to crib it really well going forward.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
That's cool, thanks. Looked like bad news they way it buckled twice near the end of the 2nd round

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The walk back

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1645896915031056384?t=

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

It's funny to easily defeat a beloved fighter in his retirement fight then also accuse him of cheating, wear that flag proudly

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gilbert Burns is on a whole other level of Brazilian excuses.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i hate masvidal so i chose to believe he was cheating

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Trillhouse posted:

i hate masvidal so i chose to believe he was cheating

Yeah, even if Burns realized after the fact "wait, poo poo, I still live in Miami after this", I believe the first thing he said about the matter.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Have the EA UFC games demonstrated the worst cover curse across all their sports franchises?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Have the EA UFC games demonstrated the worst cover curse across all their sports franchises?

I need a break from this week's card writeup so let's look at this whole loving history.
  • Original Dreamcast/PSX UFC game cover, August 2000: Tito Ortiz, who spent the next two years winning and then got spanked by Randy Couture, honorable mention for the curse of being Tito Ortiz
  • UFC Tapout, February 2002: Cover shared by Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell and, inexplicably, Mark Kerr; Tito had one win left before he lost his title, Liddell got knocked out twice in his next four fights, Mark Kerr was already in his slide and wouldn't fight again until 2004 where he knocked himself out
  • UFC Throwdown, June 2002: it's still Tito, but he's beating up Charles "Mask" Lewis
  • UFC Tapout 2, March 2003: it's still Chuck, who is now, also, beating up Charles "Mask" Lewis
  • UFC Sudden Impact, April 2004: Phil Baroni, who hadn't won a fight since 2002, was in the middle of a four-fight losing streak and would be cut from the UFC a year later; he, too, is beating up Charles "Mask" Lewis
  • UFC 2009 Undisputed, May 2009: Forrest Griffin, who had just lost the light-heavyweight championship in his last fight and was three months away from being brutally murdered by Anderson Silva
  • UFC Undisputed 2010, May 2010: Brock Lesnar, who was two months away from beating Shane Carwin but four months away from getting killed by Cain Velasquez
  • UFC Undisputed 3, February 2012: Anderson Silva, who beat Chael Sonnen and Stephan Bonnar later that year and starting in 2013 went 1 for 9, got busted for blue water dick pill steroids and exploded his leg twice
  • EA Sports UFC, June 2014: Cover shared by Jon Jones and Alexander Gustaffson; Jones would be stripped of the title three times in his next three fights thanks to cocaine, drunk driving and steroids, Gus's next two fights were getting knocked out by Rumble and decisioned by Cormier
  • EA Sports UFC 2, March 2016: Cover shared by Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor; Rousey had already lost her title the year prior and ended 2016 getting killed by Nunes and retiring, McGregor actually had the last good year of his career in 2016, winning the Nate Diaz rematch and taking the lightweight title from Eddie Alvarez
  • EA Sports UFC 3, February 2018: Conor McGregor alone, who had spent the last year and a half chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr., got beat up, lost his lightweight title from inactivity, got a title shot upon finally returning and got the poo poo kicked out of him by Khabib, he's 1-2 since and both were progressively more embarrassing Dustin Poirier knockouts
  • EA Sports UFC 4, August 2020: Cover shared by Israel Adesanya and Jorge Masvidal; Adesanya beat Paulo Costa a month later, lost to Jan Blachowicz, had his weird title reign and then went back and forth with Alex Pereira; Masvidal had just gotten hosed up by Kamaru Usman, proceeded to get hosed up again by Kamaru Usman, got hosed up twice more by Colby Covington and Gilbert Burns and retired while dedicating his career to a guy who has no idea who he is

So basically, don't be on video game covers, it's bad for you and may have killed Charles Lewis. I also have no loving idea what Mark Kerr was doing on a UFC game cover in 2002 when his last UFC appearance was in 1997.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

he's beating up Charles "Mask" Lewis
also, beating up Charles "Mask" Lewis
he, too, is beating up Charles "Mask" Lewis

incredible

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

You guys were right about that weird count in the Bigdeli fight at the recent ONE event. Olivier Coste is usually pretty good but I don't know what he was on during that one.

Then again...

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 12, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I think its still Madden tbh.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: pfl is real weird with this one :siren:

PFL 2023: #3 - Friday, April 14

Main Card apparently this is the Late Card - 9:30 PM ET, ESPN+

Welterweight - Sadibou “The Swedish Denzel Washington” Sy vs Jarrah Hussein “Jordanian Lion” Al-Silawi

Sy is 13-6 with 6 TKO wins. He’s 7-4 overall in PLF, and went 4-0 in 2022 to claim the tournament title.

Al-Silawi is 18-4, 7 of those by TKO, 5 by submission. He’s 2-1 in PFL, winning in the 2022 Challenger Series to make the regular season, beating Gleison Tibau by split decision, then getting knocked out by Magomed Umalatov last July.

Sy looks like he’s putting it together, but he also got lucky in that he faced the #7 seed in the finals because everyone else was injured and Rory MacDonald turned out to be horribly washed. Sy still has 8 inches of reach on Al-Silawi which is pretty significant.

Welterweight - Magomed Magomedkerimov vs “Brutal” Ben Egli

Magomed Magomed Magomed. Magomed? Magomed! And a hearty chuckle was had by all. In other news, Magmoedkerimov is 30-6 with 11 TKO and 9 sub wins. He’s 12-1 in PFL, winning the 2018 season. He’s had illness and visa issues that have kept him from competing consistently, but he’s on a two fight win streak.

Egli is 14-4, with 2 TKO and 12 submission wins. He’s also on a two fight win streak.

Egli hasn’t faced a lot of top level competition, and as always, you gotta go with the man with the most Magomeds.

Lightweight - Natan “Russo” Schulte vs Stevie “Braveheart” Ray

Schulte is 23-5 with 4 TKOs and 11 submission wins. He’s 12-2 in PFL, and is currently on a two fight win streak.

Ray is 25-11 with 6 TKO and 9 subs. He’s 2-2 in PFL, most recently losing in the championships.

Ray has only beaten Anthony Pettis in his PFL career, and last time I checked, Natan Schulte is not Anthony Pettis. Looks like a bad night for Stevie.

Lightweight - Raush “Cavalo de Guerra” Manfio vs Alex Martinez

Manfio is 16-4 with 8 TKO wins. He is 5-1 in PFL, winning the 2021 tournament. He lost to eventual 2022 champ Olivier Aubin-Mercier in June, keeping him out of the playoffs last year.

Martinez is 10-3, with 2 wins by TKO and 4 by submission. He’s 3-3 in PFL, going 2-1 last year, losing to OAM in the playoffs.

Well, luckily for both guys they aren’t facing OAM here. Manfio’s probably the better fighter, but even good fighters have off nights. Or they just inexplicably decide to make the dumbest possible choices and throw a winnable fight away.

Lightweight - Shane “AAA” Mitchell vs Nayib “Cachorro” Lopez

Mitchell is 13-4 with 8 TKO and 4 submission wins. It took until his 8th pro fight for him to fight someone with a record better than .500, and that guy was 2-1 at the time. He’s currently on a 3-fight win streak, most recently defeating the 8-11 Dave Butt in 2021.

Lopez is a perfect 15-0 with 6 TKO and 1 sub win. Most of his opponents have winning records, but I’m not going to bother to investigate to see how many of those guys are can crushers.

This ain’t the Butt you’re used to, Shane.

Lightweight - Bruno “Robusto” Miranda vs Ahmed “The Butcher” Amir

Miranda is 14-3 with 9 TKO and 2 sub wins. He’s on a 5-fight win streak, including going 1-0 in PFL, winning on the 2022 Challenger Series, but he never made his 2022 regular season debut.

Amir is 12-3 with 2 TKO and 7 submission wins. He’s on a three fight win streak, though only one of those guys had a winning record at the time of the bout.

Amir got some pretty favorable match ups on the Middle Eastern regional scene. I think PFL’s midcarders are going to be too big a step up in competition for him.

Welterweight - Zach “The Juice” Juusola vs “The Human Highlight Reel” Brandon Jenkins

Juusola is 13-9, with 4 TKO and 5 submission wins. He took a decision victory in the 2023 PFL Challenger Series to get here, but he might be overlooking his opponent, because Tapology says he’s booked in May at something called MCFC 2, and any time you can be the co-main to a Travis “Room with a” Wiuff headliner, you gotta jump on that opportunity.

Jenkins is 16-9, with 11 TKOs and 3 submission wins. He went 1-0 in PFL back in 2021, then parlayed that into a 0-2 UFC run, where he got TKO’d in both bouts.

Someone’s 9 is running out of time? I have nothing to say about this bout between two men who will most assuredly circle, jab, awkwardly clinch and repeat for the full fifteen minutes.

Prelim Card This is the Main Card - 7 PM ET, ESPN

Lightweight - Olivier “The Canadian Gangster” Aubin-Mercier vs “Hurricane” Shane Burgos

This has to be a joke, right? Some hilarious goof-em-up where last year’s tournament champ faces the hot new UFC castoff and they’re on the prelims. It’s not a good joke, but that has to be the explanation for this bout order, right?

I don’t even want to talk about either guys records or accomplishments, this makes no sense. OAM and Burgos on the prelims, behind “Da Joose” vs “Human Highlight Guy” or that Mitchell vs Lopez thing? Honk off, PFL. Honk off to eternity.

Ok so this isn’t the prelim main event it’s the televised Main Card main event, but still, you’re putting Sy, last year’s champ on as the final Post Lim and that’s also dumb.

Now that I’ve vented my spleen a bit, here we go. OAM is 17-5 with 2 TKO and 8 submission wins. He is 6-0 in PFL, capturing the 2022 title by second round knockout.

Burgos is 15-3 with 5 TKO, 5 submission, and by process of elimination, 5 decision wins. He had a very respectable 8-3 UFC record, ending on a two fight win streak.

Despite only ever competing at Featherweight, Burgos is taller with a longer reach. Should be a good fight!

Lightweight - “Cassius” Clay Collard vs Yamato Nishikawa

Collard is 21-10 with 10 TKO and 3 submission wins. He’s 3-2 in PFL, losing his most recent bout by split decision last June.

Nishikawa is 21-3 with 14 TKO and 4 sub wins. He’s currently on a 14 fight win streak, though 8 of those guys were at .500 or below at the time of the bout.

I think Nishikawa is gonna learn real quick that My Main Man Cassius Clay Collard ain’t no Shooto Japan jobber

Heavyweight - Denis “The Russian Bogatyr” Goltsov vs Patrick “The Brick” Brady

Goltsov is 29-7 with 13 TKO and 10 sub wins. He is 7-2 overall in PFL, going 2-0 in 2022, but missing his playoff appearance due to visa issues.

Brady is 5-0 with one TKO and two submission wins. He’s faced a grand total of one fighter with a winning record.

Goltsov is gonna smush this guy into a jelly.

Welterweight - Carlos “The Lion” Leal vs David “Sagat” Zawada

Leal is 17-4 with 6 TKO and 2 sub wins. He is 3-1 in PFL, losing to Sy in the 2022 Playoffs.

Zawada is 18-7 with 12 TKO and 4 submission wins. He went 1-4 in UFC, that lone win being a sub over Abubakar Nurmagomedov, but he ended on a two fight skid.

This should be a solid fight between two solid fighters. Makes sense for them to be one up from the opener! This is a good spot for this fight on the main card. PFL, you confuse me at nearly every turn.

Welterweight - Magomed “Prince” Umalatov vs Dilano “The Postman” Taylor

Umalatov is 12-0 with one submission and 10 TKO wins. He’s 3-0 in PFL, going 2-0 in 2021, 1-0 in 2022 with a pair of withdrawals.

Taylor is 10-3 with 3 TKO and 2 sub wins. He’s 3-2 in PFL, most recently falling short to Sadibou Sy in the Tournament Championship bout.

If Umalatov can get his paperwork in order, he’s got a great chance to win the title. Let’s see if he can manage it this time around.

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Glad Sy is buried as the last fight at 1 AM ET on ESPN+, because his fight in the finals of the 2022 season was one of the worst fights ever in MMA.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

LobsterMobster posted:

Lightweight - “Cassius” Clay Collard vs Yamato Nishikawa

I don't know if that's the best or worst nickname I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1646192738239492096