Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This is like the third chicken degloving story posted. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The answer to the chicken degloving at kfc is to just get a burger. All the tasty coating, some meat, no bones. Plus (at least in nz/aus) their mayo loving slaps.

I love the coating stuff, but I don’t like the actual chicken skin, and I’ve never been able to get into gnawing flesh off the bones (because I am a food weird), but a kfc burg hits all the best points for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I get my burgers at KFC, my tacos at Jack in the Box, and my pizzas at Taco Bell

bend
Dec 31, 2012
not quite r/relationships but close enough.

quote:

Has anyone else ever heard of leaving an “example lobster” when cooking lobsters?
Unanswered
My parents claim that plenty of people do it and they learned it from their own parents but it’s a ridiculous and horrifying process. For those who haven’t heard of it, it’s when you buy lobsters to cook (by boiling them alive,) and you leave only one alive. My family always set the lobster right in front of all the cooked lobsters and made it watch as we ate all the other lobsters. After that, we put the lobster in a cooler and drive it to the beach and send it back out into the ocean. The "joke" is that the lobster is supposed to tell the other lobsters of the horrors it saw. Has anyone else's family heard of this or was I born into a family of sociopaths!

Edit: I have concluded from comments that this is not standard procedure by any means and my parents are a little insane.

Just a little insane.

Does anyone know if it's actually possible to psychologically terrorise the average lobster? or for that matter if being stared at by a disturbed lobster while eating is a fetish? (don't answer that last one actually, I'm not sure I want to know)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

seems like a waste of money but what do i know about lobsters

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

bend posted:

not quite r/relationships but close enough.

Just a little insane.

Does anyone know if it's actually possible to psychologically terrorise the average lobster? or for that matter if being stared at by a disturbed lobster while eating is a fetish? (don't answer that last one actually, I'm not sure I want to know)

Lobsters are absolutely smart enough to understand that situation. What's more, they share a primitive form of communication using their antennae. They are very social animals and I have no doubt the released lobsters impart some of that information to their lobster brethren.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never had crispy chicken from KFC except maybe from the sandwiches, the skin is always damp and soft.

Gas station chicken is where it's at.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I heard water fowl respond poorly to aquifer pollution so I poured all my old motor oil into a nearby pond to let the ducks know that it could be so much worse.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Lobsters are absolutely smart enough to understand that situation. What's more, they share a primitive form of communication using their antennae. They are very social animals and I have no doubt the released lobsters impart some of that information to their lobster brethren.

Someone in that thread (r/nostupidquestions btw) claimed they communicate via pheromones in urine. I assume the parents idea is the lobster pisses themselves in terror and all the other lobsters avoid humanity here on in.

I feel like if you actually liked lobster (I don't eat seafood as a rule due to sensory issues, and when I do I'm still bloody picky about it. Freshwater is usually ok though, sometimes anyway) then you're just loving yourself by warning all the other lobsters anyway.

Surely you'd throw a little lobster liberation party and let just one go to tell the other lobsters how great people are if you wanted more lobster on your plate? I know that if I think someones planning to boil me alive I'm not going near them after all.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a fan of chicken with the skin off that's then been coated in the sauce, glaze, whatever.

Y'all can have the chicken skin, I'm not interested.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Or you could kill the lobster before you drop it in the boiling water. Put it in the freezer, it goes to sleep, do the thing with a knife, and there you are not putting a living thing into boiling water.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA for imposing a diet on my wife if she wants to travel with me?

quote:

Friends have invited me to Japan to teach ESL and I'm going to apply through the proper channels this upcoming autumn. I meet and in fact exceed the qualifications so I'm not worried about that, but I know Japan has a specific culture that looks down upon overweight people. I've already started to lose weight (30lbs down in 3 months!) in preparation because I want to be accepted within what their society desires.

My wife can come with me, she can apply for specific Visa to live with spouse while they work. I want her to come with me, she wants to come with me, but I want to get her to lose weight with me and I'm not sure if I'd be TA for imposing a diet if she's to come with me.

To give an idea, I'm currently 240lbs and 6'0", she's 260lbs and 5'9". I want to tell her if she can get to 200lbs by Christmas, I'll let her go with me. I have some rare control of the situation because I need to sign off on paperwork to allow her to declare me as spouse in her application.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Nobody* in japan gives a poo poo. Well your doctor will because youre still about 70 pounds to heavy for them.

*I mean, you will get kicked off themepark rides and have people snicker at you but being a foreigner is the bigger issue.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol at doing the ESL thing AFTER settling down and getting married.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Biplane posted:

Lol at doing the ESL thing AFTER settling down and getting married.

Well he might not be married much longer at this rate

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Or you could kill the lobster before you drop it in the boiling water. Put it in the freezer, it goes to sleep, do the thing with a knife, and there you are not putting a living thing into boiling water.

But the fear tastes so good!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

This is one of those stories where OP needs to be the bigger man.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
An old story, but not one that is ringing any bells of being posted before.

[CA] Girl lies to owner of local hobby store and now I'm banned?

quote:

Hi. I'll try to keep this brief.

I usually spend my Fridays at a local hobby store playing D&D and MTG. Over the years I have been playing there, I got a crush on one of the employees, A. She has a boyfriend, R, but I felt like I had to say something or I'd regret it, so I did.

She told me she was "flattered" but not interested. I'm not the type to give up, and my dad told me persistence pays off, so I started bringing her flowers every day. Both at her work and her apartment. (I didn't stalk her, She lives close to the store and I've seen her walk home a few times.)

She took me aside on Monday and told me that she felt it would be best if I dropped out of the D&D group she runs for the store. I asked her if she was also kicking R out of the group, she said no, claiming that I was harassing her.

Tuesday I went in and complained to the store owner, telling him about the situation, and how it's unfair that she is kicking me for having feelings for her, but not her boyfriend. I told him how unprofessional it is to hang out with her boyfriend at work. The owner told me he'd "investigate" and asked for my phone number so he could get back to me.

This morning I got a phone call from him, that after speaking with A and the other employees, I'm 'harassing' her, and he's decided to ban me from the store. I tried to tell him they were lying to him but he hung up on me.

I want to sue him for punishing me for something I didn't do. Is there a specific type of attorney that specializes in this? Does the fact that I'm black and the rest of them are white give me any grounds for a discrimination lawsuit?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My first Saturday job at like 14yo was boiling the lobsters and crabs at the local fish market. Just throwing dozens into the pot, batch after batch.

What I'm saying is I'm like the Ratko Mladic of shellfish.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

yikesaroo

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

"I'm going to the movies with my niece" is a perfect alibi to tell his wife. And the niece will happily verify it if the wife asks her what she did on Sat. afternoon, or whenever.

Or, if wife spots this bloke out with his niece and another woman, he can easily claim the other woman is nieces friend Marbella, without any sort of impropriety.

poo poo, that's loving crafty. Horribly so.
loving lol at him calling the op "immature". If you don't want to get caught cheating, then maybe don't do it around immature people (aka teenagers) poo poo, the OP sounds like she has far more emotional maturity than his creepy rear end ever will, the slimy prick.

ReelBigLizard posted:

My first Saturday job at like 14yo was boiling the lobsters and crabs at the local fish market. Just throwing dozens into the pot, batch after batch.

What I'm saying is I'm like the Ratko Mladic of shellfish.

My first real job at 16 was as a trainee chef in a seafood restaurant. I had to go and grab the lobsters from the tank that the customers picked. And then murder them by splitting them in half. I hated it and could hardly hold either the knife or the poor creature as I was shaking so much. Must have killed hundreds by the time I realised I wasn't "tough enough" to work with a load of cruel psychos.
Sorry lobster friends.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 11, 2023

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

quote:

I didn't stalk her, She lives close to the store and I've seen her walk home a few times.
:psypop:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jack Spin would eat no skin, his wife would have no meat.
And so betwixt the two of them they had enough to eat.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Facebook Aunt posted:

Jack Spin would eat no skin, his wife would have no meat.
And so betwixt the two of them they had enough to eat.

I'm setting up an app that matches skin people to meat people for KFC lunches.

You, uh, you inspired me but aren't getting any credit. Sorry.

e: Now I'm very curious about and hungry for that one person's perfect sandwich.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 11, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

it's unfair that she is kicking me for having feelings for her, but not her boyfriend

Is it actually possible for a human being to have that little self-awareness?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

lmao, same OP

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHA

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wow, uhhh.

Someone needs a reality check

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

thanks i hate it

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I just hope in the 6 years since he posted all this he's got some therapy and chilled out

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Benagain posted:

Just gonna invite my niece to a movie with me and my affair partner, as one does.

He believes bisexual girls are open to/eager for threesomes

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Barudak posted:

Nobody* in japan gives a poo poo. Well your doctor will because youre still about 70 pounds to heavy for them.

*I mean, you will get kicked off themepark rides and have people snicker at you but being a foreigner is the bigger issue.

eh, some mates and I went to Japan to go skiing/visit Toyota factory in Nagoya / Tokyo and the overweight fellow in our group did get repeatedly asked why he is so fat by almost complete strangers. Done in a polite matter-a-fact way but my mate still got his nose out of joint about it as it was obvious he was marked down compared to the rest of us (who were obviously marked down for being foreigners). He was about 260 pounds, six feet and could do a standing flip.

Evil Willow posted:

Macron, is that you? It's ok, Mother Russia doesn't need your advice.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 11, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling my gf out on not being a vegan in front of her friend?

OP is a licensed member of the Vegan Police

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

OP is a licensed member of the Vegan Police

I mean to be fair, it is annoying to have someone preach at you be it religion or food poo poo at a meal. Especially one you are hosting. Vegan chick had a right to be mad but she was being rude regardless. Like the cheating uncle at the movies, know when to keep your lie as your own and not involve people who can call you on it.

I play (currently) Pokemon Go, but when the game first came out, I was mocking the people that did, and walked into traffic while playing, or stumbled into loving rivers, just stupid poo poo we'd see now with teens and TikTok or whatever app you are looking at instead of the road. But my mom latched onto that, to the point for the next few years, any time we'd be in a group, she'd spout out how much I hated the game when it first came out, despite me telling her why and that the story was old. Finally at one point I snapped and told her to knock the poo poo off, no one cared and no one treated it like a funny ironic story especially as a lot of players now weren't playing back then, and her repeating the story over and over was very much like the "no price tag it's free!" poo poo people pull on cashiers. She got rather upset I talked to her so rudely but at least she dropped the poo poo.

AITA For banning my daughter from Easter over a "prank"?

quote:

Throwaway because relevant parties are on reddit.

I(49F) have a daughter "Susan" (21F) who was hospitalized for an extreme medical emergency late last month. Susan was there for four days, I visited every day until the last which happened to be on April 1st. Her roommate and other friends also visited.

On the 1st her roommate called me crying, saying that Susan's conditioned suddenly worsened and she passed on. In hindsight I should have thought something was up but hearing that in the moment turned me into a sobbing wreck. About a half hour later Susan and her roommate came into my house and shouted "April fools!" Turns out she was allowed to leave the hospital and that was how she decided to tell me. I did not know it was possible to be so relieved and pissed at the same time. I called this joke horrible, screamed at her and told her she was NOT welcome in my house for the foreseeable future.

Apparently Susan thought Easter would be an exception. I was hosting this year with a few relatives and she came in(she still has a key) I made her give it back and once again told her to get the hell out of my house and while she persisted and was very stubborn about it she finally left crying. The rest of the gathering was understandably awkward.

It's not like I will never forgive her or that I'm going No contact or anything like that, but I am just too hurt and angry to speak or look at her right now to have any sort of discussion about what happened. She tries to call and text me every day but I ignored most of them. Our family is split between acknowledging that there are consequences for this while several others say I need to move on and just forgive her because she still hasn't fully recovered and needs my support. I get that but I think she is getting plenty of support from other people right now for me to be a necessity, and if she wanted my support she would not do something so drat cruel. She was always a bit of a jokester but never like this, it really does not sit right with me at all to just bygones be bygones right now but some relatives including my parents say I should. I hope I can get some unbiased opinions on this please apart from family.

AITA for telling my daughter that custody isn't changing?

quote:

When my ex-husband and I divorced three years ago, my daughter took it fairly well. She (unfortunately) understood why, so it wasn't a shock, but of course it was still a major change. Our main focus was on doing what was best for her, so we tried to involve her as much as was healthy in what the new schedule would be. We settled on a flexible 50/50 and she took it in stride. The only thing she asked was to never have any new parents or siblings. I thought it was a weird thing to ask for as neither of us were even considering dating, but she was worried to the point of hysterics about it, so we agreed.

A year and a half ago, my now-husband. My daughter met him and they got along fine, she met his kids and that was fine, and she's met probably too many of her father's female guests, so I thought she'd gotten over it. I was wrong. Late last year, we got engaged and started preparing to move in together, and she lost it. She went into hysterics that I was breaking my promise. She announced that she would not be spending the night with me anymore, and demanded to live with her father 100% of the time. I told her that was ridiculous and that the schedule was not changing.

Her father decided to back her, and is willing to fight it in court "if necessary". My lawyer says if it goes to court, it could go either way because she's over 12 years old, which is a last resort for us.

I don't want this change. Her father loves her, but he's not really a responsible parent. He leaves her home alone far too much, and doesn't even try to supervise or put limits on anything. More so, my daughter is a child, and she shouldn't have the right to dictate how much she sees her parents.

I know I stupidly agreed to not remarry in that moment, but that wasn't a realistic thing to promise and she has to know that. My ex is on her side and thinks she should live where she's most comfortable, and agrees with her that I'm "being irresponsible". I don't think it's healthy to give her that much power, especially over something that was demanded when she was all of nine years old.

I say we do a parent swap here between the two stories.

I mean geez I would bet a 9 year old has seen and heard horror stories about new families not blending so much as being shredded together.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 11, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For banning my daughter from Easter over a "prank"?

I was so upset when I thought my daughter died that I decided to treat her as if she was

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

quote:

My lawyer says if it goes to court, it could go either way because she's over 12 years old, which is a last resort for us.

quote:

Her father loves her, but he's not really a responsible parent. He leaves her home alone far too much, and doesn't even try to supervise or put limits on anything.

I love her careful omission of relevant info. Most teenagers can supervise themselves at home and don’t need super-strict limits. Also what’s dad out doing? The lack of specifics makes me think it’s more likely he’s possibly working second or third shift than routinely hanging out at bars or casinos.

quote:

More so, my daughter is a child, and she shouldn't have the right to dictate how much she sees her parents.

But mommy dearest, you have a whole new family with child-aged objects? Why do you need this one too?

She’s a selfish parent who lacking further information at no point spoke to her daughter in any serious, respectful way about her feelings involving the divorce. Probably no therapy, either. Also just lol at “met probably too many of her father’s female guests” c’mon.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AceClown posted:

I just hope in the 6 years since he posted all this he's got some therapy and chilled out

or gotten his rear end kicked, either is fine

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hawowanlawow posted:

or gotten his rear end kicked, either is fine

rear end kicked by a therapist

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kit Walker posted:

I was so upset when I thought my daughter died that I decided to treat her as if she was

I mean, yeah? If people hurt you and play it off as a joke you aren't supposed to forgive them. Particularly if they're planning to convalesce at your house.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If someone I love did that to me I would probably not be able to hear their name for a month let alone talk to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
loving hate it when my parenting strats are disrupted by someone (a judge) who will listen to my daughter's wants, needs and fears.