Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Beartaco posted:

Do you you think antibiotics don't work?

I think they work, I don't take drugs if I don't think they're effective :)

Reinfection almost immediately is possible; it's also possible it hid out in a tonsil and I have a small abcess.

My reservations about taking 2 courses of ABX in rapid succession has nothing to do with concern they don't work on the pathogen, and everything to do with longer term GI impacts, the fact this stuff can mess with my hearing, etc. I have been given 5 more days penicillin and am to call back Monday.

edit: as for COVID and this rant being in this thread -- we're suspicious we had Omicron late last summer, and every time we've gotten sick since has been a completely different, whole household deal. Maybe that's entirely coincidence and paranoia but the lived experience of this year has been insane and I've taken more sick time than the last 3 year combined.

edit3: edited for brevity and to remove a bit of an edge. I am sorry if I came across as defensive or aggressive, the only thing I'm pissed off at is being sick through a combination of a peak period at work, some good spring skiing solo and with kiddo, cross country skiing with kiddo, and has made maple sugaring stressful and hard instead of relaxing. I am not well, this has all taken a tremendous toll on me emotionally and if I wasn't supported by a fantastic partner I'd be in complete misery.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So China recently announced that they are disturbing their version of mRNA vaccines, but they're not the bivalent ones.

The American embassy announces if you're looking for the bivalent booster, your best bet would be to go to Macau or Singapore and get it there. Very cool, thank you US government.

Aren't the bivalent vaccines outdated at this point anyway?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Okuteru posted:

So China recently announced that they are disturbing their version of mRNA vaccines, but they're not the bivalent ones.

The American embassy announces if you're looking for the bivalent booster, your best bet would be to go to Macau or Singapore and get it there. Very cool, thank you US government.

Aren't the bivalent vaccines outdated at this point anyway?

Yes, though with how many variants are circulating chances are another BA5 offshoot will show up again so better then nothing. I think the latest and greatest up and comer is variant XBB1.16 that’s racing through India right now. Has been found in the US but not yet on the tracker for the CDC.

Also to noones surprise GDC was a superspreader event.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/1641205868808085504

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Is research on Covid winding down? I selected "Covid-19 research" preference on folding@home the moment it was available years ago, but the work units I've been getting lately are non C19 related. Alzheimer's and Cancer are the usual
https://client.foldingathome.org/

I mean, fine, fix cancer, and Alzheimer before they get me, but seems like the world's moving on. Moderna pivoting to Herpes vaccines (which also, fine, hurry up) https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/vaccines/mrna-1608-herpes-vaccine

edit: Also a Cancer vaccine? that would own. All of this would own. Hurry up https://newatlas.com/medical/moderna-new-mrna-vaccine-targets-herpes-cancer-shingles/

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I know that Fred Hutch was doing an observational COVID study…which was abruptly shut down in January when funding was cut off.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They’re still studying Covid but yeah new funding is drying up mostly due to Congress not allocating any more money to it. For about three years there though everyone and their brother were putting Covid in any proposal to score funding.
I know a lot of immune function and effects of viruses on health and epigenetics in general has been seeing a lot of activity and SARS is part of that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Oracle posted:

They’re still studying Covid but yeah new funding is drying up mostly due to Congress not allocating any more money to it. For about three years there though everyone and their brother were putting Covid in any proposal to score funding.
I know a lot of immune function and effects of viruses on health and epigenetics in general has been seeing a lot of activity and SARS is part of that.

That's a definite silver lining. We're starting to realize "oh crap, a bunch of these harmless viruses are actually loving up a portion of the population long term". Autoimmunity, inflammation, all the goodies we don't think about when someone "recovers" from an acute infection.

EBV can cause MS down the line. Atherosclerosis as an autoimmune disorder. The NIH finally admitted CFS is real, after *decades* of gaslighting patients. I wouldn't be surprised if we realize at some point that most brain aging diseases are caused by a lifetime of exposure to viruses, since we already know influenza survivors are at a higher risk of Parkinsons.

It's going to be a fascinating age of medicine for people who can afford it over the next few decades.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That's a definite silver lining. We're starting to realize "oh crap, a bunch of these harmless viruses are actually loving up a portion of the population long term". Autoimmunity, inflammation, all the goodies we don't think about when someone "recovers" from an acute infection.

EBV can cause MS down the line. Atherosclerosis as an autoimmune disorder. The NIH finally admitted CFS is real, after *decades* of gaslighting patients. I wouldn't be surprised if we realize at some point that most brain aging diseases are caused by a lifetime of exposure to viruses, since we already know influenza survivors are at a higher risk of Parkinsons.

It's going to be a fascinating age of medicine for people who can afford it over the next few decades.

Yeah its kind of crazy, I had a cousin that died of MS, noone knew how he developed it because it wasn't in our family tree at all. Then I read this and was like 'oshi'

I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of cancers are the same way. HPV was just the tip of the iceberg there, too.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Is worldometers still relatively accurate in terms of data? Is there data that gets i mostly from sewage treatment data? I'm looking mostly for California data

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strong Sauce posted:

Is worldometers still relatively accurate in terms of data? Is there data that gets i mostly from sewage treatment data? I'm looking mostly for California data

The New York Times recently stopped collecting their own data and now simply cribs from CDC. I can’t imagine that Worldometers is doing more legwork to generate their charts.

A lot of consumers of data ultimately fed from Johns Hopkins’ effort, which ceased operations as of last month.

As for wastewater, the short answer might be Wastewaterscan. Decent coverage of several California urban areas, easy to access granular data.

The commercial outfit Biobot has broader coverage but is more opaque.

CDC has a national picture, but a lot of gaps locally.

A lot of the raw data itself is overlapping and for example CDC contracts with Biobot, though for whatever reason Biobot has some data that CDC does not, or at least does not present publicly in a timely fashion.

The California Department of Public Health’s page has a lot of datasets feeding in. Look there if Wastewaterscan doesn’t cover your area.

There are people in the C‐SPAM thread who deal with wastewater data regularly and know more than I do, though. You might want to ask them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 4, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's becoming harder and harder to get a picture of what's going on with the pandemic. If you look up recent data for Australia on various sites you get stuff like this:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...se&country=~AUS

Personally I've been relying on this random Twitter person to do the legwork of collecting all the weekly data from all the Australian states and collating it together:
https://twitter.com/dbRaevn/status/1641707905941651456

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The NIH finally admitted CFS is real, after *decades* of gaslighting patients.

Of course I'm real :confused:

This might be why I'm having so much trouble getting laid

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's not why

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, Twitter might be your best bet in regards to getting COVID numbers.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So you used to just be able to google "covid cases US" or whatever and get a graph right there on the google search results, now that's gone. I don't like the CDC site for tracking stuff. Does anyone know where to find that again?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

thanks this is enough for what i need. just curious about the levels from sewage since that seems to give a better picture of the amount of covid and other disease in my area

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Toxic Mental posted:

So you used to just be able to google "covid cases US" or whatever and get a graph right there on the google search results, now that's gone. I don't like the CDC site for tracking stuff. Does anyone know where to find that again?

Google pulled data from Johns Hopkins’ COVID tracker, which is now defunct. Worldometers might suit you better, but there aren't really any good choices for tracking, because the basic data is increasingly trash.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Doesn't Walgreens, the pharmacy chain, have a covid tracker as well?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Okuteru posted:

Doesn't Walgreens, the pharmacy chain, have a covid tracker as well?

yes, for % positivity https://www.walgreens.com/healthcare-solutions/covid-19-index

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Got the bad news that my sister in law is sick and tested positive, and the additional bad news that despite this my brother is still going to fly tomorrow with their kids to NY for their spring break vacation. I mean... stay home! Tend to your sick wife, be vigilant for signs that you and your kids have also been infected. That should be the priority.

I don't understand people. In so many ways.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pingui posted:

Google pulled data from Johns Hopkins’ COVID tracker, which is now defunct. Worldometers might suit you better, but there aren't really any good choices for tracking, because the basic data is increasingly trash.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

For Oregon all the new case data just stopped at the end of March - Was that the day they just stopped collecting data on it and submitting it?

There's also a "currently infected" chart, is that some kind of estimation of "this number of people are probably still symptomatic" thing or something?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dick Trauma posted:

Got the bad news that my sister in law is sick and tested positive, and the additional bad news that despite this my brother is still going to fly tomorrow with their kids to NY for their spring break vacation. I mean... stay home! Tend to your sick wife, be vigilant for signs that you and your kids have also been infected. That should be the priority.

Health of everyone on board the plane and everyone they will come into contact over the next 2 weeks < non-refundable airline tickets

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My brother went on an ocean cruise the other week with his SO where they were in close proximity to a bunch of sick people and when they got back he felt unwell but assumed he was just hung over, so they went to pick up their dog from my elderly father who'd been minding it for them and they all hung out for the afternoon. Of course they didn't bother wearing masks and my SIL hugged my dad several times. My brother still felt sick the next day and realised he might not be hung over after all - whoops, a rapid test came up positive for covid. My dad is currently experiencing mild symptoms with a sore throat and a headache but he blames the headache on doing too many crosswords earlier in the day and he's just ignoring the sore throat, and he refuses to take a test. He's been isolating at home for the last few days after his potential exposure but he's got a medical appointment tomorrow which he doesn't want to miss because ringing up to reschedule it would be annoying so he's just going to go anyway, and I know he won't be wearing a mask.

It's just so loving weird that I've known these people my entire life and I've always assumed they felt a basic amount of empathy and responsibility towards other people but ..... I guess not?? :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My brother went on an ocean cruise the other week with his SO where they were in close proximity to a bunch of sick people and when they got back he felt unwell but assumed he was just hung over, so they went to pick up their dog from my elderly father who'd been minding it for them and they all hung out for the afternoon. Of course they didn't bother wearing masks and my SIL hugged my dad several times. My brother still felt sick the next day and realised he might not be hung over after all - whoops, a rapid test came up positive for covid. My dad is currently experiencing mild symptoms with a sore throat and a headache but he blames the headache on doing too many crosswords earlier in the day and he's just ignoring the sore throat, and he refuses to take a test. He's been isolating at home for the last few days after his potential exposure but he's got a medical appointment tomorrow which he doesn't want to miss because ringing up to reschedule it would be annoying so he's just going to go anyway, and I know he won't be wearing a mask.

It's just so loving weird that I've known these people my entire life and I've always assumed they felt a basic amount of empathy and responsibility towards other people but ..... I guess not?? :shrug:

This is the exact thing that has absolutely destroyed my mental health since 2020. My family did the same exact poo poo and gave me covid in January which I'm still not fully recovered from (I'm not kidding when I say that all I've been able to do for at least the last 21 days, which is all I have memory of, is sit around and stare off into space. I can't even play video games or watch movies right now because my brain is so zonked-out) and they've more or less continued to ignore or deny it all throughout. Both of my parents are literally near-death right now because of post-covid complications because they refused to take it seriously and they still refuse to even acknowledge that it's related to them having covid in January.

Like, I have realized ever since 2020 that you cannot trust any other human with your personal health and safety, no matter what you think you know about them. I don't think I'll ever be able to shake that. They were people who ostensibly took covid very seriously... until they just dedided to not, anymore, and very willingly and knowingly spread it to their children because they just figured it's not that bad.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 11, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Covid is the great guide, before you just had to be poor or disabled or a minority to notice that everyone is a piece of poo poo

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like, I have realized ever since 2020 that you cannot trust any other human with your personal health and safety, no matter what you think you know about them. I don't think I'll ever be able to shake that. They were people who ostensibly took covid very seriously... until they just dedided to not, anymore, and very willingly and knowingly spread it to their children because they just figured it's not that bad.

Yeah, that swerve hosed me up real good too.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Toxic Mental posted:

For Oregon all the new case data just stopped at the end of March - Was that the day they just stopped collecting data on it and submitting it?

There's also a "currently infected" chart, is that some kind of estimation of "this number of people are probably still symptomatic" thing or something?

The tracker stopped March 10. Oregon is still tracking cases, but they've moved to weekly updates:
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/oregon.health.authority.covid.19/viz/OregonCOVID-19Update/DailyDataUpdate

The currently infected chart on Worldometers is derived from case numbers. It doesn't tell you anything valuable anymore, but had some value in the initial wave. Arguably case counts doesn't tell you much either, as people infected are neither testing nor registering their test (to become a "case").

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Colonel Cancer posted:

Covid is the great guide, before you just had to be poor or disabled or a minority to notice that everyone is a piece of poo poo
this is loving people up even worse ime. A lot of people had previously been like “you can’t trust Society but I can definitely trust my family / chosen family / friends with disabilities.” As a result, the realization of lol no hit them even harder ime

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sounds like you guys are dumb because COVID is OVER for GOOD

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-signs-bill-ending-covid-19-national-emergency/

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

time to drag that mission accomplished banner out of storage

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

This is coming on the heels of the US investing in the vaccine again (which few will get due to cost and the messaging thar Covid is Over*)

https://twitter.com/mattbc/status/1645524997946089472?t=JnXxGBcueIycfcyqCP69Pw&s=19

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
What's the deal with ongoing bivalent boosters? I had one last November, coming up on six months ago soon. Should I get another? Am I allowed to get another (I am generally healthy and have no excuse to)? I would certainly plan to get one next fall but not sure if I'm supposed to be on a six or twelve month schedule or what.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You aren’t allowed afaik. It does seem to be a good idea. Perhaps you go to a different chain/setup and discover you’ve lost your booster card.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

My brother started feeling sick before they left for the airport and has cancelled the trip. I hope that he and his wife recover because there's no way that I can support them and our parents.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

gohuskies posted:

What's the deal with ongoing bivalent boosters? I had one last November, coming up on six months ago soon. Should I get another? Am I allowed to get another (I am generally healthy and have no excuse to)? I would certainly plan to get one next fall but not sure if I'm supposed to be on a six or twelve month schedule or what.

not allowed. i tried to bandit a booster a couple weeks ago with my wife and for the first time i was denied.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

mentioed it before but my wife is pregnant with mo-di twins (single placenta) which makes her pregnancy high risk, necessitating weekly scans. everything is good but today the woman checking us in for our ultrasound appointment felt the need to remind us the mask policy had changed and we didnt need to wear our masks.

“yeah we got the memo, thanks.”

i just dont understand the motivation, like i get the feeling this woman thought she was helping us by trying to get us to take off our masks when my wife is scheduled to deliver premature* twins in two weeks.

*34 weeks and change

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
That rare "good news" post:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1645540800909172736

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

and surely these publicly funded vaccines will be free for all, or at least sold at manufacturing cost

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

and surely these publicly funded vaccines will be free for all, or at least sold at manufacturing cost

Last I heard, the estimate after all emergencies end is about $100 a pop.

Gio posted:

mentioed it before but my wife is pregnant with mo-di twins (single placenta) which makes her pregnancy high risk, necessitating weekly scans. everything is good but today the woman checking us in for our ultrasound appointment felt the need to remind us the mask policy had changed and we didnt need to wear our masks.

“yeah we got the memo, thanks.”

i just dont understand the motivation, like i get the feeling this woman thought she was helping us by trying to get us to take off our masks when my wife is scheduled to deliver premature* twins in two weeks.

*34 weeks and change

It's a combination of trying to power through the belief that COVID is truly gone because of no masks and the cognitive dissonance of seeing someone wear a mask with that same belief.

Everyone has turned into an a angrier version of the lady from Avatar: the last Airbender. The one who says that there is No War in Ba Sing Se.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unless something changed, in February Moderna said their (current) vaccines will continue to require no out-of-pocket payment by anyone regardless of their insured status even after the emergency declaration ends:

https://endpts.com/moderna-promises-to-provide-vaccines-at-no-out-of-pocket-cost/

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 12, 2023