Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway hey everyone, we went camping this weekend, it was pretty good!

Campsite was right on a reservoir that is pretty full right now, lots of waterfowl, we went for a good hike on saturday, I made a tasty beef stew for my friends who gobbled it up so it must not have been too bad. The frogs were in full chorus after sunset so we went walking along the lake and found several, that was fun. Just generally had a good time.

Congrats on camping in what looks like a video game setting. What state is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://parks.sccgov.org/santa-clara-county-parks/coyote-lake-harvey-bear-ranch-park

California! We had a bit of rain on friday night but saturday was a breakout lovely day, we haven't had too many of those yet this year so that was nice timing. Also the reservoir is currently closed to all boating, normally during the summer there's motorized watercraft buzzing around out past those white buoys and that sucks a lot.

There were lots of coots. I love coots! A couple of kids chased these ones into the water.

Those are trees sticking out of the water, which shows how low the reservoir has been for like the last decade, and you can also see the high water mark in them, the flooding must have been really bad in January. There was driftwood in our campsite at the high water mark.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 10, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1645543469463613440

I guess they're calling the state legislature's bluff

Hope this doesn't get ugly

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

https://parks.sccgov.org/santa-clara-county-parks/coyote-lake-harvey-bear-ranch-park

California! We had a bit of rain on friday night but saturday was a breakout lovely day, we haven't had too many of those yet this year so that was nice timing. Also the reservoir is currently closed to all boating, normally during the summer there's motorized watercraft buzzing around out past those white buoys and that sucks a lot.

There were lots of coots. I love coots! A couple of kids chased these ones into the water.

Those are trees sticking out of the water, which shows how low the reservoir has been for like the last decade, and you can also see the high water mark in them, the flooding must have been really bad in January. There was driftwood in our campsite at the high water mark.

I've been hearing that Tulare Lake is filling up again. People had to evacuate after they built homes in the lake bed which seems unwise.

When the Sierras melt this thing might get crazy. It used to be bigger than Lake Tahoe.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah river in my yard is still going after a month and there’s still plenty of white up the hill

Hell Baldwin lake is wet again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Being back at work loving suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

I've been hearing that Tulare Lake is filling up again. People had to evacuate after they built homes in the lake bed which seems unwise.

When the Sierras melt this thing might get crazy. It used to be bigger than Lake Tahoe.

yeah that one's been nearly or entirely empty for like a century right?

the snowmelt should give us water for the whole summer, which is great, but right now some reservoirs are having to release just to maintain a capacity to absorb any more big rain events of the spring. They were releasing from Coyote, but I'm not sure if that's for flood control reasons or just to give the river a good flow for the fish maybe.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In 1905 it looked like this

https://twitter.com/AnnaVaage/status/1644272015321489412

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 11, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

I can understand the motivation. They want to show lower inventory on the balance sheet, because high inventory implies either a slowdown in sales, or mismanagement of purchasing. The ideal "most efficient" company receives inventory just in time to sell it (or manufacture something from it or whatever). Buying stuff early and then warehousing it is super good for resiliency and long-term survival, as long as you do actually use the stuff eventually, but it's less profitable so stock markets do not reward that.

Yeah its this.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
one weird trick to both warehouse and have just-in-time inventory!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Solving California's water problem by having it revert to pre-white settler topography.
:bisonyes:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Loan Officers Don't Want You To Know!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just create a holding company to hold the extra inventory bing bong so simple

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah unfortunately I bet tulare lake is contaminated, it's got like, gas stations and sewers underwater, so it's not exactly restored wetlands.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Aren't the heavy metals blown off of dried lake beds in California one of the biggest sources of pollution in the US?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Give it time. Just declare it a superfund sight and it could be cleaned up in 50 years.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Guys, it was 70 today. We just broke a 154 day streak of days under 50. The record amount of snow is just FLOWING! 80 tomorrow!

I was outside loving around all day and I'm shot.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Cue Curb music...

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-new...umbiana-county/

T-Square
May 14, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Guys, it was 70 today. We just broke a 154 day streak of days under 50. The record amount of snow is just FLOWING! 80 tomorrow!

I had a beer out on the balcony in a t-shirt this afternoon and it was loving great

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

A 74 year old operating a vehicle hauling 40000 tons of contaminated soil, presumably for a company contracted to do the cleanup, is the only person being punished for the East Palestine thing so far

Real cool society we got here

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I hosed up cooking the leftover confit potatoes by frying them all in 1 go instead of in smaller batches. The oil temp dropped and it took forever to crisp up, and in the meantime they got oily as hell. I still ate them but they were so greasy I got a tummy ache. :(

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Freaquency posted:

A 74 year old operating a vehicle hauling 40000 tons of contaminated soil, presumably for a company contracted to do the cleanup, is the only person being punished for the East Palestine thing so far

Real cool society we got here

I'm fascinated to hear more about the circumstances that lead to a 74-year-old driver hauling an infamous hazmat load.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's hundreds (thousands?) of truckloads of soil to be hauled, that driver has a hazmat cert, and there's a national shortage of truck drivers

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Luckily we can soon get teenagers with their learner's permit driving these trucks.

Bonus points for them being young and cheap! :capitalism:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

There's hundreds (thousands?) of truckloads of soil to be hauled, that driver has a hazmat cert, and there's a national shortage of truck drivers

National shortage of nearly all skilled trades. Plus plenty of horrendous incentives pushing 74 year olds into the job market.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dango Bango posted:

I'm fascinated to hear more about the circumstances that lead to a 74-year-old driver hauling an infamous hazmat load.

Leperflesh posted:

A lot of truckers are old as poo poo too. We have a ton of contractors at USPS and there's probably at least as many of not more who are North of 60 as there are South of 40.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah its this.

Literally the old fraud at Sunbeam that almost sank the company.

Bottom of page 4.

https://harbert.auburn.edu/binaries/documents/center-for-ethical-organizational-cultures/cases/sunbeam.pdf

Al Dunlap is a giant piece of poo poo who paid practically no price for his crimes. He spent his entire forced retirement playing Big Dick Booster at FSU, leading to this hilarious hagiography when he finally punched the ticket to the big flaming underground:

https://news.fsu.edu/news/university-news/2019/01/26/prominent-fsu-supporter-al-dunlap-passes-away/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, it got up to 77 here in Iowa yesterday. I spent part of the evening sitting outside in my apartment building's backyard, smoking some weed and listening to music.

I got a ding letter from a job I was really hoping to land, so I decided to just cope.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like my new avatar but every time I see it I get peckish.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dango Bango posted:

You’d be shocked how many truck crashes are old people dying. Or how many old dead people we pull out of sleeper cabs at truck stops.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

You’d be shocked how many truck crashes are old people dying. Or how many old dead people we pull out of sleeper cabs at truck stops.

There are a lot of depressing ways to die, but dying in a sleeper cab at a truck stop seems pretty high up there. Not the worst way to go, just sad.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I should have been more clear - I'm not at all shocked about a 74-year-old truck driver. I'm interested to hear about how he was picked for a high-profile hazmat load. And whether he was an employee of a trucking company or an owner-operator. (i.e. awarding a contract to haul the dirt away to a company or doing it as cheaply as possible)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as leper's suggestion where they only looked at the hazmat cert.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I, for one, applaud the company’s progressive stance against ageism

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dango Bango posted:

I should have been more clear - I'm not at all shocked about a 74-year-old truck driver. I'm interested to hear about how he was picked for a high-profile hazmat load. And whether he was an employee of a trucking company or an owner-operator. (i.e. awarding a contract to haul the dirt away to a company or doing it as cheaply as possible)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as leper's suggestion where they only looked at the hazmat cert.

They're not out there trying to pick certain truckers for certain jobs. It's not like a movie where they had to go knock on Cledus Snow's door to ask him to come out of retirement for one more haul. Trucker had the qualifications to pull the load that's all that matters because there is such a shortage of drivers you take what you get.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I immediately went out and celebrated last night and forgot to respond so just wanted to say thanks for all the congrats. I have 2 weeks before I start so it’ll be nice to just have 2 weeks to do whatever I want and not do any interviews or apply for anything.

And to answer the question, no it wasn’t the one where HR was dicking me around. This company has a great name in the industry and I’m amped to work for them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Missed it, but congrats Joey. Seems like it’s been awhile but glad you found someone who didn’t want to jerk you off.

Economists keep whining about a hot labor market but honestly I think it’s mostly smoke outside a few specific sectors.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

Luckily we can soon get teenagers with their learner's permit driving these trucks.

Bonus points for them being young and cheap! :capitalism:

Won't be teenagers, it'll be H1Bs from Mexico and Central America.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

:hmmyes:

Got back from our trip up north, so last night I swapped my wife's tires BACK to the summer ones and changed the oil in her car. Almost got the full trifecta of getting the rear windshield wiper blade swapped out, but apparently I either grabbed the wrong one or the book at Wal-Mart was wrong about which one I should have grabbed :argh:

Leper's post about frogs makes me hopeful ours will be in full chorus on Friday when I'm on the deck drinking a beer and having my pre-Valheim :420:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

I immediately went out and celebrated last night and forgot to respond so just wanted to say thanks for all the congrats. I have 2 weeks before I start so it’ll be nice to just have 2 weeks to do whatever I want and not do any interviews or apply for anything.

And to answer the question, no it wasn’t the one where HR was dicking me around. This company has a great name in the industry and I’m amped to work for them.

Hell yeah. Congrats dude and secure that bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Started my new job yesterday and celebrating another year on this hell earth. I want you all to know you make it infinitely better.