Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Mistlands aren't even all that bad to pass through if you're cautious, patient, and reasonably well equipped. Frost arrows slow the Seekers down quite a bit, and sneak attacks can chunk most of their health bar. Getting blindsided by more than one (or on really fucky terrain) definitely sucks though.

e: I guess if you're trundling around in full iron with a tower shield or something you'd have a bad time, but real Vikings wear troll hides and wolf hair and somersault around slaying things with a knife made out of barnacles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

There are alternate spawn points for the bosses. Most of the seed engine websites will tell you where they are. Can just pop your seed in one and head towards a different spawn if you don't want to do mods.
Moder, the Queen, and Yagluth can all have one spawn. For awhile Moder wasn't even guaranteed.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Thankfully, I was already to wolf gear, but the sheer cliffs in total fog were not fun to do blind dash through or a corpse recovery from. Now I've got the build distance dialed up to the point where I could make a decently passable bridge between the plains and the mountain. Now that I've gone down the rabbit hole, I think I'm also going to roll in the plugin that makes the crops less stupid so I can finally move some of these berry bushes around.

I've been playing largely blind, so I didn't know that you could activate multiple boss spawn locations. Good to know.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

There are alternate spawn points for the bosses. Most of the seed engine websites will tell you where they are. Can just pop your seed in one and head towards a different spawn if you don't want to do mods.
That already looks like screenshot from https://valheim-map.world/

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Dwesa posted:

That already looks like screenshot from https://valheim-map.world/

Yeah. I dumped the world seed into a map generator to confirm what I was seeing after exploring the entire outer edge of the island by boat.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I started a new character on a new seed, and it’s really amazing how much easier the early game is when you know what you’re doing. Eikthyr is not a difficult boss by any definition, but when you have a couple pieces of troll armor, he actually just cannot hurt you. I had way more trouble with the two-star troll I picked a fight with.

Also, my spawn is really generous. I ran out of the starting circle and immediately passed two boar runestones, and exploration found a couple more in the immediate area. And there are two huge mountains on the continent, plus Elder, plus the merchant, plus some swamps and plains I haven’t explored yet. It’s very long and narrow, so I’ll need to dig a canal or sailing will probably drive me completely nuts, but there’s even a convenient neck to
cut through.

The polearm is so much fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Eikthyr is pretty easy as soon as you have a wooden shield and a flint spear, tbh, if you have a decent handle on parry timing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I dug my canal. It’s a little narrow, but I can always widen it a bit when I make a longship. I took the time to make a nice little covered bridge, leaving plenty of space for a ship to pass under. Or, well, I eyeballed what I thought was plenty of space and turned out to be not even enough for a karve. Oh well. The rebuild is awkwardly tall and probably not crossable with a cart anymore, but it should be high enough for the longship… unless the gap is too narrow and I need to rebuild again.

Also, classic Elder kill:
  • I’ve got everything I need for this, right? Good armor, good food, potions, lots of arrows, yeah I’m set.
  • Starts fight, Elder takes almost no damage and regens everything immediately
  • Oh right, fire arrows

Burns
May 10, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Well, I dug my canal. It’s a little narrow, but I can always widen it a bit when I make a longship. I took the time to make a nice little covered bridge, leaving plenty of space for a ship to pass under. Or, well, I eyeballed what I thought was plenty of space and turned out to be not even enough for a karve. Oh well. The rebuild is awkwardly tall and probably not crossable with a cart anymore, but it should be high enough for the longship… unless the gap is too narrow and I need to rebuild again.

The Karve's mast i think is slightly taller than the longship. Park a longship in your canal to get a good sense of the height width you need. My tip is make the canal wider than you think it needs to be otherwise youll just get stuck on the walls. As for the bridge, so long as you can run 26 degree slopes down itll be fine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
God dammit Steam why the gently caress do you not have an option to disable auto updates entirely yet? Some tiny little update I haven't even seen patch notes on broke Valheim+, so now my inventory shrank and deleted my gear.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

God dammit Steam why the gently caress do you not have an option to disable auto updates entirely yet? Some tiny little update I haven't even seen patch notes on broke Valheim+, so now my inventory shrank and deleted my gear.

I've had to set it to only download updates at launch, so I have enough of an early warning system to go check the forums and see what the update will break. Thankfully the latest pair only required I drop in BepInExPack 5.4.2101. The big update earlier in the month required someone to go in and fork ValheimPlus to make an unofficial 0.9.9.12 update (since the original mod maker appears to have abandoned it).

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Burns posted:

The Karve's mast i think is slightly taller than the longship. Park a longship in your canal to get a good sense of the height width you need. My tip is make the canal wider than you think it needs to be otherwise youll just get stuck on the walls. As for the bridge, so long as you can run 26 degree slopes down itll be fine.

What I was seeing online is that the longship is quite a bit taller, basically 12m vs 8m. I can’t build a longship yet on this character to check for real, I’m just now heading into the swamp. But yeah, I’m assuming I’ll need to widen it whole way to make it navigable practically for the longship. I might line it with stone at the same time, that’ll look a lot better than all the jagged earth. (The canal goes roughly WSW-ENE, so it doesn’t align naturally with the game grid.)

Thanks for the reassurance about the bridge, I wasn’t sure. Yeah, the final bit of the ramps on both sides is stairs because I hit the height cap for raising ground well short of 14m.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

EricFate posted:

I've had to set it to only download updates at launch, so I have enough of an early warning system to go check the forums and see what the update will break. Thankfully the latest pair only required I drop in BepInExPack 5.4.2101. The big update earlier in the month required someone to go in and fork ValheimPlus to make an unofficial 0.9.9.12 update (since the original mod maker appears to have abandoned it).

Looks like it's up to 0.9.9.13 now and the developer bundled in BepInExPack 5.4.2101 for compatibility's sake.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EricFate posted:

Yeah mine wouldn't launch at all, but just had to update BepinEx which is nice.

rjmccall posted:

What I was seeing online is that the longship is quite a bit taller, basically 12m vs 8m. I can’t build a longship yet on this character to check for real, I’m just now heading into the swamp.

Yeah the longship is taller by a few meters (at least by appearance, it's possible the collision mesh is different, no idea)

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah mine wouldn't launch at all, but just had to update BepinEx which is nice.

Yeah the longship is taller by a few meters (at least by appearance, it's possible the collision mesh is different, no idea)

It is taller and I think 12m is about right. I think my boathouse is 13m or 14m for the mast part of the entrance from the water line.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Lo i forgot, i once built a dock on the sea so if there was high tide the longboat couldnt go in or out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Myok posted:

Looks like it's up to 0.9.9.13 now and the developer bundled in BepInExPack 5.4.2101 for compatibility's sake.

Nice thanks

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah thanks for those. I was able to repair Valheim+ and Epic Loot needed updated too, then an evening with dev commands mostly fixed the in game broken and lost stuff. Now I have Steam set to offline mode because "God dammit Steam why is this not a native option yet?" I want to finish Mistlands in peace. I'll break poo poo later when Ashlands releases and the payoff is worth it. Don't want to keep doing this for whatever miniscule updates they release.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's even worse for modders because every little dipshit update to fix Xbox buttons or whatever breaks the mods.

Burns
May 10, 2008

This is why i am avoiding any modding until the full/final release comes around.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Man, the Fenris set is really annoying to build.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Man, the Fenris set is really annoying to build.

God yeah. At least it kicks rear end once it's done, though.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I am playing mostly vanilla game (I only used upgrade world mod and "barbershop" mod), but after some time I simply console spawned item required for the fenris hood.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dwesa posted:

I am playing mostly vanilla game (I only used upgrade world mod and "barbershop" mod), but after some time I simply console spawned item required for the fenris hood.

I believe I did three caves thinking "Oh maybe that was just random and I'll get more with the next one." Then, yeah, console time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I genuinely think that the hair and claws should reliably drop from those big bipedal werewolf guys that show up at night on the mountains. I also think that requiring a trophy for any kind of equipment crafting sucks rear end (though I'll forgive the drake helmet's trophy requirement, since those loving things immediately appear in the thousands the very instant your pick gently taps a vein of silver :argh:)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, the trophy drop being required for items is pretty irritating, at least at the current rates. If they had something like a one-time guaranteed drop of them after x kills it would help a lot. After that it could just go back to the normal percentage chance. Maybe make it tied to having picked up a trophy to avoid missing the guaranteed drop.

Fenris fur was pretty easy to accomplish, but that's also RNG so I understand that experience might not be universal. But it also bothers me that since cultists don't respawn, it's a fixed number of fur/claws per world and that's it. Making fenrings drop the fur and claws would fix that too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Right? They spawn uncommonly enough that you wouldn't be swimming in the materials, but it would be a bit easier to gather them (and you'd kinda be passively doing it while you looked for caves and silver). It'd just be a big quality of life upgrade without any drastic knock-on effects in terms of the intended progression.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I find Frost Caves are insanely difficult to find. Id wish they do sonething to make them easier to locate. Also, they seem to have a small spawn change. I searched 3 mountain biomes a few days ago and found only one of them (but again I might have just NOT SEEN them)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, some mountain ranges are pretty vertical and if there are caves in the nooks and crannies you won't find them unless you happen to stumble right on to the entrance from the correct direction.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
At some point you need to have a reason to go in all those caves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

At some point you need to have a reason to go in all those caves.

I actually really liked going in those caves but it was a little strange having a maxed out set of fenris armor except for the hood (which was promptly maxed out as soon as the trophy dropped).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I loved the frost caves, they’re just a pain to look for. I stumbled into my first one and used a map seed viewer to find more after I ran through some mountains looking for silver most everywhere and didn’t find any of them.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im also generally not a fan of the Mountain biome design altogether, but i doubt they will ever revisit it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
My local mountains are lousy with silver, but yeah, caves are hard to find, and it looks like I’ll need like 5 or 6 of them to finish the upgraded set. And they’re actually a downgrade in armor from fully-upgraded root until they’re level 3, although I might switch anyway once I have all three pieces just to not be weak to fire.

I did get really lucky with the cultist trophy, though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finally made my way into the Mistlands, and this arbalest is interesting, but it is extremely stupid that I cannot preload it and have it be ready when I switch to it the first time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The crossbow is great for what it does, which is getting me lots of hare meat.

I also got really lucky with the cultist trophy so maybe I'm biased. I was having a hell of a time getting the fur to populate though. I basically tore the copper wiring out of the walls of those caves but I ended up with like five to one claws to fur.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 5, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

The crossbow is great for what it does, which is getting me lots of hare meat.

I also got really lucky with the cultist trophy so maybe I'm biased. I was having a hell of a time getting the fur to populate though. I basically tore the copper wiring out of the walls of those caves but I ended up with like five to one claws to fur.

The arbalest got instantly replaced by the ember staff for me as soon as i got it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Finally made my way into the Mistlands, and this arbalest is interesting, but it is extremely stupid that I cannot preload it and have it be ready when I switch to it the first time.

I finally got past Yagluth, and took my first baby steps into the area over the weekend. They did some interesting things with the terrain and the sound design, but exploration with limited visibility gets old quickly. It irritated me to encounter non-hostile NPCs, only to discover that I could not trade with them. Instead, if I wanted to proceed, I either had to pillage and murder -- or lure in a hostile to do collateral damage so I could pillage by proxy if I wanted to progress. Also, the hunt for black cores SUCKS compared to the hunt for Surtling cores. And I need 5 for each new thing. On the plus side, by the time I have the last one I need to build a refinery, I'll have a huge stockpile of materials ready to run through it so I should be able to slingshot ahead on gear once I finally have one built. It just remains to be seen whether I stick with it for long enough to get to the magic tier.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Worth it imo. Magic is loving amazing, even if slightly glass-cannony if you, like me, forget to shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I find it somewhat strange that they introduce an entirely new "class", for lack of a better descriptor within Valheim, so far in to the game. There's what, two more biomes until completion, ashlands and the ice lands? Maybe a third?