Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Bijan rules but the Bears need a functional OLine first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

Am I crazy for wanting Bijan at 9?

Think about how insanely fun this offense would be

I've made this same argument with friends. An elite running back with Justin Fields doing RPO stuff will be a nightmare for defenses. I don't want him at 9, but if you were able to trade down a few spots and get him, I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The trade down at 9 seems kind of silly to me st this point, that's like an extra 4th rounder unless they go all the way to the bottom of the first. We're not getting thst second rounder back.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

R.D. Mangles posted:

The trade down at 9 seems kind of silly to me st this point, that's like an extra 4th rounder unless they go all the way to the bottom of the first. We're not getting thst second rounder back.

It depends on another teams desperation. When the bears traded up for fields, the giants made out pretty well. Bears got pick 11. Giants got pick 20, a fifth rounder, and the following years 1st and 4th round picks.

E: lol at the thought of the bears possibly having 3 1st rounders next year. The difference between pace and poles is stark.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 10, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Dude, at least wait until the draft before freaking out about the line.

Adding a couple rookies to a bad line is not going to help Justin Fields stay alive. I contend the Bears should have used some of the $100 million in cap space they had available to improve the offensive line.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Am I crazy for wanting Bijan at 9?

Think about how insanely fun this offense would be

Yes. Herbert and Foreman will be fine. Maybe find a steal later in the draft. The team desperately needs offensive and defensive line help. A corner wouldn't be bad either.

If they go the skill position route, I think Smith-Njigba wouldn't be a bad pick. Or Quentin Johnson if they trade down. An elite wide receiver is far more valuable than an elite running back.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

Adding a couple rookies to a bad line is not going to help Justin Fields stay alive. I contend the Bears should have used some of the $100 million in cap space they had available to improve the offensive line.

None of the offensive lineman available were worth the price.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

None of the offensive lineman available were worth the price.

They have a boatload of cap space. Perfectly fine overpaying an offensive lineman instead of having to watch Larry Borom or Alex Leatherwood start at tackle.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would rather draft Paris Johnson Jr. at 9 than have Poles try to find a fourth round tackle to compete for a starting role, but if the Bears don't go OT in round one, I assume they'll eventually bring in a vet at some point to fill the Riley Reiff "not good, but better than Larry Borom" stopgap starter role if nobody younger can win the job in camp

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They're paying Riley Reiff $4.5 million this year to not play on the team.

If they like a tackle in the draft, I'm good with that. Still thought Jawaan Taylor would have been a nice fit at tackle. There were also some considerable upgrade options at Center and Guard they passed on.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

They're paying Riley Reiff $4.5 million this year to not play on the team.

Are they?

edit: I guess him hitting his playing time incentive came out of the cap figure for this year, but I can't figure out if that's just minimizing once-projected rollover or if it counts on the books for 2023 for some reason. Either way it's not like the Bears couldn't afford to spare $4.5 million from this year's cartoonish cap space for 10 games of semi-competent tackle play

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
people really really care too much about trivial amounts of money when it comes to the NFL cap lol.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

people really really care too much about trivial amounts of money when it comes to the NFL cap lol.

I don't care about it. It's just the excuse as to why the Bears can't sign or keep good players is they'd have to overpay for them. I would like to see the Bears overpay for a lineman instead of looking at the scrap heap for bargains.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xbilkis posted:

Are they?

If they're not I will.
I'm sure I could raise more than that from the city of Chicago to get him not to play

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Just let me dream though.

But, honestly, what if Poles has some random RT in the 2nd that ends up being serviceable, and he also really wants to score as many points as humanly possible. There's no such thing as having too many elite skill players

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like people are sleeping on Smith-Njigba because he didn't play last year. A year earlier he was the best receiver on a team that featured Garrett Wilson, Olave, and Harrison Jr.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

I feel like people are sleeping on Smith-Njigba because he didn't play last year. A year earlier he was the best receiver on a team that featured Garrett Wilson, Olave, and Harrison Jr.

If we hadn't traded for DJM, I'd be banging the JSN drum hard. He's the best receiver in this draft by far, but I'm content to play out the year with our guys and go after MHJ next year.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Huh

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1645820194638422017?t=OP_CsyUz5UbNoYYnaDnIVQ&s=19

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

5th rounder? rare Brad Holmes L

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I mean at least they got something.

I'm not sure Okudah would have qualified for much better in the comp pick formula.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

https://twitter.com/bigsgjamo/status/1645822861662093314?s=20 lmao

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I was wondering where he fit, and seeing as how there was no chance they were picking up his 5th year...

Maybe a fresh start will do him good, but he was hot garbage his entire career in Detroit.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think he could have done better than a 5th based on upside alone, but probably wanted the matter settled so they could move forward. I don't know if a 5th was worth more than just keeping him on the team this year though.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 11, 2023

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Yeah i figured he would've fetched more than a 5th, but maybe i just overestimated the market?

Also, I guess a CB at 6 is looking a lot more likely now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hahahaah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Apples McGrind posted:

Also, I guess a CB at 6 is looking a lot more likely now.

Fortunately for the Lions they're pretty much guaranteed their pick of Gonzalez or Witherspoon.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not surprising. There was no way they were picking up his 5th year and with his benching at the end of the year it was a sign he wasn't AGs guy anymore.

I still think he'd be better as a safety.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Feel like that locks in Witherspoon at 6.

Oh good, my 9 just became a collector's item. :|

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, what a bad situation all around. Quinn reached for Okudah because Patricia ran off our entire secondary, then Okudah played like poo poo because Patricia can't loving coach, then when he might get a fresh start with Campbell and AG, he blows out his knee.

Just sucks. Hope he does well with the Falcons.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

Man, what a bad situation all around. Quinn reached for Okudah because Patricia ran off our entire secondary, then Okudah played like poo poo because Patricia can't loving coach, then when he might get a fresh start with Campbell and AG, he blows out his knee.

Just sucks. Hope he does well with the Falcons.

Worse than knee it was Achilles. He's a good tackler and solid in run support, make him a safety and I think he'd be pretty good.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it necessarily means they take a corner at 6. And I figured they'd take a corner for sure in the draft regardless of this trade.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I'd still bet everything the Lions either trade down or draft a DL/EDGE with the sixth pick.

And CB/Bijan or trade down with 18th.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If the QBs are off the board and the Lions don't want Carter (I don't think he's on their board). Then it might be tough to trade down. Unless Philly wants to jump to 6th and you get a 3rd round pick or something.

Not the worst thing as you likely still draft the guy you wanted at 10.

But I think they take Tyree Wilson if he's there at 6.

But I also think Holmes is going to do some crazy trade, so I have no idea whats going to happen. Its going to be a lot of fun watching the draft.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The end of Jeff Okudah's run in Detroit is disappointing, but not surprising. Put into any other situation and Okudah may have flourished, but the challenges of COVID, being forced into the #1 right off the bat, Patricia's dogshit coaching, and losing a year to an Achilles tear just demolished any chance he had of developing to his potential. What a goddamn waste.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Danny LaFever posted:

But I also think Holmes is going to do some crazy trade, so I have no idea whats going to happen. Its going to be a lot of fun watching the draft.

Holmes is definitely gonna do something wacky on draft day and I'm excited to find out what it is.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I know Kwesi got some guff for trading down last year but it's really the right strategy this draft unless a good QB falls into his lap.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

If we hadn't traded for DJM, I'd be banging the JSN drum hard. He's the best receiver in this draft by far, but I'm content to play out the year with our guys and go after MHJ next year.

Yeah, I think it depends on how much they like the O and D lineman at the #9 spot. If they're tepid on those guys becoming impact players, I'd be fine with going the Bengals route of loading up on good receivers so that no secondary can keep up.

I do wonder if the Falcons trade for Okudah might open the door for Christian Gonzalez at #9. Atlanta media seemed to think Gonzalez was going to be their pick at #8.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Detroit possibly being in the market for a CB again opens up the possibility that two CBs go in the top 8, which means the odds of a top-tier d-lineman falling to 9 might have gotten a little better. I think Carter or Wilson are the pick for the Bears if they’re there

If we do go d-line at 9, I really want us to trade up in the second. I know it might trigger bad Pace memories, but I think the OT class will have fallen off a cliff by the time the 53rd pick comes around, and you could grab a legit starting option if you land a pick in the front half of round two.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

For as much of a risk as Carter is, I don't know how you pass him up at #9. He's the kind of guy you build a defense around if he pans out.

If Levis is available at #9, I wonder if you look to trade down again. Tennessee, Tampa, Washington, and maybe even Detroit could be interested in a QB. I feel like the guys in that 8-20 range are not too off from each other and at positions the Bears could use (EDGE, CB, OL, DT). Maybe that's where you grab another 2nd round pick and like a 3rd or 4th next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
this draft is so fun. the bears should get the #1 pick more often