Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Watch out for little, stout men with funny accents.

*Looks at this post, looks at username*

You are HP Lovecraft and I claim my five pounds you immortal piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you can forge documents and successfully pretend to be Belgian you don't have to worry about the lovely British state pension.

Testro
May 2, 2009
You can buy NI years to build up your state pension, although it requires you to have the money at hand. I think it's £800 for each full year - but you might have years that have partial payments if you did some work or signed on for a period.

It's worth looking into this asap because you can temporarily buy back as far as 2006. Martin Lewis had an article on it the other week: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/

It only takes a couple of minutes to check.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You need 10 years of NI contributions to get the state pension and 35 years to get the full one.

When i took voluntary redundancy i asked the HMRC how much more i needed to do for my pension, they said i'd done 38 years so no more NI was required for my pension. :shrug:

I had dreaded looking for another job so was very happy at the outcome, think i have 8 years worth of workplace pension as well... much use that'll be, the rest is in Premium Bonds & ISAs.

Thank the gods i'm frugal nowadays.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Almost no one has that kind of big money in that infogram, as noted the figures are bigger than the average working income.
The only pensioners I know with anything like approaching that kind of dosh are widows whose husbands had large life insurance policies pay up when they died or divorcees who got the house and did not marry toyboys from Egypt or Ghana to spend it all on.
Apparently the average weekly pensioner total income (2017/18 figures) is about £304 per week

Yeah, for an annual pension income of, say, £30k, you'd need £600k - £700k to put into an annuity and how many people have the opportunity to save that sort of dosh up over the course of a working life? For the majority of people, any private pension they have will only ever be a supplement to the state pension. The idea that the average person will be able to build up that sort of sum, as well as dealing with rent, mortgages, household bills, children and student loan repayments is such utter bullshit, and yet the whole conversation around pensions is always couched in these terms: "Hmm, why aren't young people ramping up their pension contributions, they just mustn't realise how important it is!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm investing it all in youtooz made out of avocado.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Russia and China lie about their internal economies a lot so massive grain of salt.

Everyone lies about this poo poo, bit weird to go orientalist on this

Don't make me look up the graph that has all the "predictions" from the government that are never right

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2022 is gonna be our year baybee!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fellas, is it orientalist to single out massive dictatorships

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Defined benefit is a little better but I'm terrified of getting too sick to work. last time I checked the civil service pension scheme pays 2.32% CARE, so if you are at average earnings (like 30k let's say) all of your career on average (salary curves don't work like this but sure) you'd need to be at that level for 45 years to hit £30k annual pension.

Which, like - OK, 45 years of employment before retiring sounds doable, but I'm 33 and I've managed 7, and the next period of illness might be the one that stops me worrying forever. At which point that "huge civil service pension" that sounded so good when I told myself it was worth spending sty much money living in London, turns out to be gently caress all

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Dabir posted:

Fellas, is it orientalist to single out massive dictatorships

China and Russia are not dictatorships.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

2022 is gonna be our year baybee!

You can see the precise moment where the economy went :suicide: and diverged from sanity. :rolleyes:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Cookie Cutter posted:

China and Russia are not dictatorships.

So you're saying neither country is ruled over by a leader with total power? Lol OK then.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

The Perfect Element posted:

So you're saying neither country is ruled over by a leader with total power? Lol OK then.

Yes, that's right :) Russia is no more a dictatorship than the UK. China has a very large and complex party structure of which Xi is the chairman but does not by any means exercise total control. It's not difficult to understand really

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

sinky posted:

Economy doing worse than the one sanctioned by everyone on earth :britain:

Still, just to be safe, better make "tough on nonces" the central issue of the campaign.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cookie Cutter posted:

Yes, that's right :) Russia is no more a dictatorship than the UK. China has a very large and complex party structure of which Xi is the chairman but does not by any means exercise total control. It's not difficult to understand really

Lol

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Please try to insulate yourselves against commonly received falsehoods about countries that our own fascist government wants us to believe are evil. To fall into that trap is the height of western chauvinism and the reason why actual left wing and communist countries consider western leftists to be a complete joke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cookie Cutter posted:

i do not think that russia is very comparable to the uk in terms of being a democracy, the uk democracy might be very bad and susceptible to the same structural issues with media and monetary influence as many countries but it has not had the same guy running it for the past quarter century.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cookie Cutter posted:

Please try to insulate yourselves against commonly received falsehoods about countries that our own fascist government wants us to believe are evil. To fall into that trap is the height of western chauvinism and the reason why actual left wing and communist countries consider western leftists to be a complete joke.

I also do not think there are any countries out there that I would call "actually communist"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Russia is real poo poo and about as communist as the pre-war Hitler regime.

Which is to say it isn't, even if there are some wondering about in the country.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
On the topic of jury duty I got a citation last month for tomorrow and it told me to phone a number after 5pm today to see if I'd be needed tomorrow or not. Apparently I'm not needed but they want me to phone tomorrow again after 5pm to see if I'm needed on Thursday. How long can they keep stringing you along for like that?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

i do not think that russia is very comparable to the uk in terms of being a democracy, the uk democracy might be very bad and susceptible to the same structural issues with media and monetary influence as many countries but it has not had the same guy running it for the past quarter century.

*Coughs loudly* It may not be the same party or the same leader but the same monied interests have been running the uk since thatcher. Why do you think corbyn, the only one to suggest maybe we shouldn't just pay billionaires for being rich and should improve society somewhat, got shitcanned so roundly.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer MUST assassinate Greta Thunberg like a rogue llama if he wants to win!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Shyrka posted:

On the topic of jury duty I got a citation last month for tomorrow and it told me to phone a number after 5pm today to see if I'd be needed tomorrow or not. Apparently I'm not needed but they want me to phone tomorrow again after 5pm to see if I'm needed on Thursday. How long can they keep stringing you along for like that?

In England its two weeks but doesn't work quite how you seem to be describing it so I guess you might be in Scotland where I dunno.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

China is legitimately significantly better than Russia even if it does some lovely authoritarian things.

If you have to stan for some "vilified" regime then at least pick one that's not nakedly fash.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Shyrka posted:

I think it's five days (in Scotland anyway).

Even if you do get called in, chances are you won't be selected. I did jury service a few years back, there were 200 other people in the room and they pulled names out of the hat for who would actually be a juror.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

*Coughs loudly* It may not be the same party or the same leader but the same monied interests have been running the uk since thatcher.

As I said, it has the same problem a lot of democracies have, which is that democracy is inherently incompatible with capitalism and the greater the influence of one the weaker the other.

However, I think this remains distinct from simply the same actual people running the country. A democracy can exist but be smothered by systemic pressures, and I think this is different from a situation where power is purely oligarchic and there is really no question of popular control over it absent a revolution. It indicates a different method of societal organization.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"there are lots of people to the left of tony blair and to be electable starmer must alienate them"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

China is legitimately significantly better than Russia even if it does some lovely authoritarian things.

If you have to stan for some "vilified" regime then at least pick one that's not nakedly fash.
Also the real reason that Russia laughs at Western leftists isn't because they found the secret True Communist doctrine, it's because they realized that nobody cares about the five tankies that still think Russia is communist, whereas the theocratic weirdoes and QAnons and Marjories Taylor Greenes will spend all day parroting their line to hundreds of thousands of people for free, so in terms of influence bought it's cheaper than the Global South where you're expected to actually do stuff.

This is also what "Clearer and more traditional line on the culture wars" means.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

"there are lots of people to the left of tony blair and to be electable starmer must alienate them"

These people are aware that more people didn't vote at all than voted Tory at the last election, right?
Labour and the media cretins are fascinated by a tiny fraction of the population. For Labour, it's because the 'polling experts' they employ can set up one office and spend the bare minimum necessary to focus on about 5 constituencies worth of Tory swing voters. For the media, it's because the narratives for "we like this person more than the other person" is just within the limits of their talent.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
team corbyn: engage young people and non-voters by offering a better vision for the country where they have a meaningful stake

team starmer: appeal to tory/ukip/britain first voting pub landlords whose concern is being allowed to hang up "gollywogs" on their premises

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really just think starmer like most of the UK political and media class are stuck in the 90's and most of their behaviour is a coping mechanism for dealing with that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comparing democracy in the UK and Russia does make a lot of sense when you remember the Tories are very obviously on the kremlin payroll institutionally even if they are now trying to walk it back in light of the invasion of Ukraine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I really just think starmer like most of the UK political and media class are stuck in the 90's and most of their behaviour is a coping mechanism for dealing with that.

Well obviously, that's when history ended, because a bunch of alcoholic paedophiles took over the corpse of the Soviet Union.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just because your own government sucks poo poo, does not mean other governments cannot somehow suck poo poo even harder. I'm not sure most people would define 'democratically elected (by 2980 people at the top of the only party that's allowed)' democratic, in the traditional sense.

China bad, Russia bad, UK bad. All bad.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The UK has a hereditary monarch from whom all legislative and executive power derives. The sovereign personally is entirely above the law. The government is not legitimate without the assent of the monarch, and the monarch holds the power to appoint and remove ministers and to dissolve the government. The monarch controls the military, and most members of the military swear an oath of service to him personally. There is some degree of influence from the voting public in choosing the members of the lower house of government - the upper house being an unelected mix of hereditary positions, royal appointees and senior representatives of the state religion. It's a fairly generous use of the word "democracy" to describe the UK's form of government imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do you want a clearer and more traditional line of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7DgOeMnW4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nominally, in practice I do not think the military would answer to the monarch over the government, and in fact this has been proven historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cookie Cutter posted:

If anyone here still thinks 'tankie' is a meaningless word, this is one