Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mister Olympus posted:

it's a pretty reasonable dungeon and/or dragon, though my friends are attaching a little more to the Advanced 5e thing that just came out in comparison because it's willing to kill a couple more sacred cows. I personally prefer PF2's action system and how Paizo's loads of premade 1-20 modules are almost a selling point in themselves

That's pretty much the clencher for me. I'm always going to want to run their premades because their premades so far have been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

pumpinglemma posted:

It's basically the build variety and general insanity of 3.5e, the balance of 4e, and the simplicity of 5e all in one system.

I don't think the build variety is there at all. Current-day Paizo really likes classes to stay in their lane. If they deleted skill feats and made Free Archetype a standard rule I think it'd be closer to true, but another reason i mentioned people drifting to A5E is it does stuff like have specific subclasses for any given combination of two base classes, and that's the kind of thing PF1/3.5 had where PF2 didn't really

But also that's a big matter of preference; it's much better for balance in PF2 that there's such a tight range of possibilities on what any given class can accomplish.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Government Handjob posted:

We've been playing the pregens for a while now (Ezren, Merisiel, Kyra and Valeros) and while we're all looking forward to creating new characters for Abomination Vaults some interesting traits have developed based on character art and the short backstory blurbs provided in the Beginner's Box.

For the most part there's only been three players at the table, Valeros' player has been sick and his daughter's football team had a tournament so there hasn't been much development to his character.

Kyra quickly turned into a cleric of Mom, handing out snackies, seeing to boo-boos and carrying a kobold that surrendered out of the first dungeon in a goddamned baby bjorn. When not kidnapping sentient beings she is probably the least unhinged member of the group.

Ezren's character art has him looking much older than 42, so Merisiel immediately dubbed him 'old man' (five minutes later I discovered she is thrice his age) and the characters lovingly razz him for leaning into the ~Wizard Aesthetic~ too much. We're contemplating getting him a walker.

Merisiel is very protective of the Old Man, rushing to the defense of 'Old Squishy' and often being knocked out in the process. She's got some plans for the old fishery outside Otari that either means turning it into an Airbnb or finding ways to get the petit bourgeoisie to pay us for letting them do the fishing and curing for us. Also, tax fraud.

So far we've only got a kobold and a bugbear to work at our fishery, but we're looking forward to expand the operation with a dwarf or two once we run into the Leadbuster Lads.

This all sounds fantastic! Always nice to see characters have goofy in-game relationships. Also I want to make a Cleric of Dad now. “Come on, sport! Stand up and show them what you’re made of!”

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't think the build variety is there at all. Current-day Paizo really likes classes to stay in their lane. If they deleted skill feats and made Free Archetype a standard rule I think it'd be closer to true, but another reason i mentioned people drifting to A5E is it does stuff like have specific subclasses for any given combination of two base classes, and that's the kind of thing PF1/3.5 had where PF2 didn't really

But also that's a big matter of preference; it's much better for balance in PF2 that there's such a tight range of possibilities on what any given class can accomplish.

Are there people who don't play with Free Archetype? It seems pretty much the standard at this point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Apparently it's fifty-fifty on tables using free archetype.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mister Olympus posted:

yeah it's very clearly a deliberate choice to keep players from having to decipher spreadsheets to figure out which five class combination makes a good build like PF1/3.5.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The higher quality of published adventures is also a big draw for me as well. Even the good 5e adventures like Curse of Strahd are usually laid out a lot worse than their Pf2e equivalents and are generally harder to read

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Admittedly I’m new to the system, but it feels to me like if you have a character concept then the system is rich enough that there’s probably a way to turn it into a viable character (especially with free archetype), and any two characters from a given class will feel incredibly different from each other even before bringing in ancestries and archetypes. Also, there seems to be a pretty huge feat selection and especially at higher levels those feats often do really cool things rather than “+1 to number”. For me a lot of that was there in 3.5e from the sheer variety of available classes, but was totally missing in 5e - in that system it always felt to me like I was picking one of ten pregens with minor variations, feats were scarce, and often the same feats were optimal for every character (like lucky).

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Gumby posted:

This all sounds fantastic! Always nice to see characters have goofy in-game relationships. Also I want to make a Cleric of Dad now. “Come on, sport! Stand up and show them what you’re made of!”

Go for it! Stride into every encounter full of team spirit, audible cheerfulness and weaponized amicability. Proudly wear your sandals with socks and never fail to provide unsolicited advice on barbecues, gardening or DIY projects.

I'd love to hear stories if you get around to playing him :)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

doing "got your nose!" with chill touch.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

Admittedly I’m new to the system, but it feels to me like if you have a character concept then the system is rich enough that there’s probably a way to turn it into a viable character (especially with free archetype), and any two characters from a given class will feel incredibly different from each other even before bringing in ancestries and archetypes. Also, there seems to be a pretty huge feat selection and especially at higher levels those feats often do really cool things rather than “+1 to number”. For me a lot of that was there in 3.5e from the sheer variety of available classes, but was totally missing in 5e - in that system it always felt to me like I was picking one of ten pregens with minor variations, feats were scarce, and often the same feats were optimal for every character (like lucky).
That's the exact same impression I have, except unlike 3.5e it doesn't feel like the balanced gets absolutely borkered when you let the players really unspool themselves.

5e always seemed most concerned with getting people at the table long enough for promo shots and the rest was "eh you can figure it out you're smart."

AnEdgelord posted:

The higher quality of published adventures is also a big draw for me as well. Even the good 5e adventures like Curse of Strahd are usually laid out a lot worse than their Pf2e equivalents and are generally harder to read
I've run 2 full 5e campaigns over the course of years, and sat in on a few more. The 5e Campaign books are just... not very good. They have good elements to be sure, but you have to do an absolute ton of extra work to really cook it into anything worthwhile.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

pumpinglemma posted:

that makes sense, i'm considering it from the opposite viewpoint where you can't take a base class and go totally orthogonal to that class's intended behavior with a clever build--that sort of thing is what defines 3.x to me, and pf2 has much stronger role protection than that

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

3.5 had absolutely bizarre insane poo poo you could do with characters and pf2 doesn't even begin to approach it. free archetype gets you some fun tricks, it doesn't completely shatter the game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Been having a grand old time with 2E so far but one thing I’m a little unclear on: So attacks of opportunity mostly don’t exist unless you’re one of the handful of classes that get them yeah? So what exactly is the value of Trip, beyond flat footed I guess which it seems like there’s easier ways to get?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Been having a grand old time with 2E so far but one thing I’m a little unclear on: So attacks of opportunity mostly don’t exist unless you’re one of the handful of classes that get them yeah? So what exactly is the value of Trip, beyond flat footed I guess which it seems like there’s easier ways to get?

Tripping someone also makes them prone, so they have to get up or have penalties to their attacks too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Forces an enemy to waste an action as well.

If you don't have an AoO you can always hit, trip, step back so the enemy has to waste 2 actions to get to anyone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah just feels like spending an action to make them spend an action is mostly a wash. Ah well.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Yeah just feels like spending an action to make them spend an action is mostly a wash. Ah well.

Against everything but mooks it's not. And Attacks of Opportunity are a lot more common for PCs than NPCs, most Martials have some way of generating additional attacks from Reactions, usually at level 6.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

The biggest way to get an advantage against higher level opponents is to force them to waste actions. A standard party has 12 actions, the dragon you are fighting has one. Being able to spend one of your twelve actions to take away 1/3rd of theirs is one of the strongest possible plays.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

The biggest way to get an advantage against higher level opponents is to force them to waste actions. A standard party has 12 actions, the dragon you are fighting has one. Being able to spend one of your twelve actions to take away 1/3rd of theirs is one of the strongest possible plays.

That’s fair. I am mostly coming at it from the perspective of more multiple enemy fights at the moment.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

If nothing else, Trip is a nice flex to hit Reflex DC when you're dealing with something large/tough that likely has a high Fortitude DC to make Grapples and Shoves hard to land.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Initiative order matters too. Tripping a guy whose turn is right after yours doesn't help as much as tripping the guy whose turn was right before yours and forcing him to stay down while all your allies take their shots on him.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Plus, you just dropped the BBEG on his rear end. That's added value!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Arivia posted:

Tripping someone also makes them prone, so they have to get up or have penalties to their attacks too.

Also note that getting up from prone is a move action.

Funny thing is if you're grappled (or restrained), you can't get up until you break the grapple.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Flat-footed also makes rogues very happy. Please think of the rogues.

This message has been approved by the Sneak Attack Committee.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, the big advantage to trip is that it makes an enemy flat footed to everybody until the enemy's turn

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, the big advantage to trip is that it makes an enemy flat footed to everybody until the enemy's turn

It even helps with ranged attack rolls, including some spells!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Anyone have any experience navigating VTT content creators? I've looked at a couple of battlemap creators and they all require not just a Patreon sub but also subscribing to something called Moulinette. This is all just way too much hassle for pretty maps

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

Anyone have any experience navigating VTT content creators? I've looked at a couple of battlemap creators and they all require not just a Patreon sub but also subscribing to something called Moulinette. This is all just way too much hassle for pretty maps
Been looking at possible solutions for my own VTT stuff as someone at the functional poverty line and yeah they're pretty dire. Everyone wants you to spend the moon and that's fair, but it's a competitive marketplace where I'm really not sure what's wheat and what's chaff. Hell I still need to save $50 to afford Foundry.

That’s fair. I am mostly coming at it from the perspective of more multiple enemy fights at the moment.
Just nth-ing what was already said that it's still worth it to trip if you have any synergy with your party. Flat-footed is the same bonus you get when you successfully flank, helps Rogues deal out the big damage, and gets applied to most attacks you and your teammates can dish out.

You might think "oh a -2 to AC isn't that much" but remember that in PF2e a -1 or -2 increases the chances of getting a critical success on a roll significantly (a -1 increases by about 10%, but I suck at scaling so don't ask me what -2 does), which is great whether you're trying to induce damage or an effect of some kind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my new Adventure Path book for the month and while I need to dig in to set it up for future campaigns-- have a few things to go through first-- I am really excited that there's a high level Fey-oriented campaign.

The cards seem varied and interesting, and The Harrow Court is a very interesting setting. Also loving the time spent in the Grand Bazaar just to start.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Regarding map creators and VTTs, Dungeondraft is a one time payment of $19.99 and exports in Universal VTT format so will work with basically anything.

Native assets are a bit hand drawn and cartoony but there are a lot of decent asset packs out there

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Government Handjob posted:

Flat-footed also makes rogues very happy. Please think of the rogues.

This message has been approved by the Sneak Attack Committee.

Yeah, there were a couple times where I'd have my Monk go for a Trip attempt instead of FoB just because we had at least one rogue who was ready to go hard.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is definitely up there for dumbest looking armor I've ever seen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

It definitely has that "Well it takes 3 hours to don so once it's on I'm not doing anything else for the day but armor stuff" vibe.

I like it because Fey bullshit is by definition Fey bullshit and you want a degree of "oh come on" to the proceedings.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Enos Cabell posted:

Definitely getting some Elden Ring vibes for God awful armor design

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

Are you sure they require Moulinette instead of it being just an option?

also generally you can just sub to the patreon for a month, get the existing maps and stop subbing

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jarvisi posted:

Moulinette is useful, but the main benefit is that the scenes will come in with walls/doors/lighting. If you just want pretty pictures, you should be able to select patreon tiers to just get the images, which you can then import and add walls to. The process is pretty quick for simple maps, but can take a bit if you want vision blocking on trees/columns and invisible walls to block characters from walking through tables or railings.

I've unsubbed and resubbed to moulinette a few times, as it is just on the edge of being useful. Moulinette is EXTREMELY useful if you are building maps in Foundry directly; e.g. getting a basic map and then adding a tent or an obelisk and some rocks or a corpse or whatever. It includes macros to apply effects such as drop shadow or "ghostly", but I think those require TokenMagicFX.

Forgotten Adventures is one of the big asset creators, and they have a newish battlemap patreon that has it's own bespoke module for loading prebuilt scenes. Not sure if their library is deep enough for you. Some of the creators with insane back catelogs, like Meditating Munky, only really have the newer maps configured for Foundry, although some of them are updating old maps to be "Foundry ready".

Basically, for smaller, less complex maps I think it's totally feasible to just load the images yourself. If you have a lot of huge maps, or especially complex ones, Moulinette may be worth it.

It is annoying this one module, that does what should be core functionality, was able to establish its own marketplace within the core program, but at some point it may get partially subsumed as Foundry works on the way it packages Adventures for export import.

There is a Map thread ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986523 ) if you want to drop in and ask for suggestions. There's a wide variety of styles, and if you want to get weird there are even modules to do isometric maps or full (90's era graphics) 3d maps.

Some I like or have used or had to rely on because they were the only one with a specific map I wanted (several are or were originally DnD 5e centric, but they are just maps and can normally be repurposed):
https://www.patreon.com/FA_Battlemaps
https://www.patreon.com/drmapzo
https://www.patreon.com/crossland
https://www.patreon.com/Crosshead
https://www.patreon.com/tychmaps
https://www.patreon.com/Eledryll
https://www.patreon.com/sliph
https://www.patreon.com/orithecartographer
https://www.patreon.com/thedungeonmadames
https://www.patreon.com/lonemapper
https://www.patreon.com/afternoonmaps
https://www.patreon.com/BeneosBattlemaps
https://www.patreon.com/slowquest
https://www.patreon.com/venatusmaps
https://www.patreon.com/caeora
https://www.patreon.com/tomcartos
https://www.patreon.com/Meditating_Munky
https://www.patreon.com/seafootgames

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mind the walrus posted:

Been looking at possible solutions for my own VTT stuff as someone at the functional poverty line and yeah they're pretty dire. Everyone wants you to spend the moon and that's fair, but it's a competitive marketplace where I'm really not sure what's wheat and what's chaff. Hell I still need to save $50 to afford Foundry.

Just nth-ing what was already said that it's still worth it to trip if you have any synergy with your party. Flat-footed is the same bonus you get when you successfully flank, helps Rogues deal out the big damage, and gets applied to most attacks you and your teammates can dish out.

You might think "oh a -2 to AC isn't that much" but remember that in PF2e a -1 or -2 increases the chances of getting a critical success on a roll significantly (a -1 increases by about 10%, but I suck at scaling so don't ask me what -2 does), which is great whether you're trying to induce damage or an effect of some kind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my new Adventure Path book for the month and while I need to dig in to set it up for future campaigns-- have a few things to go through first-- I am really excited that there's a high level Fey-oriented campaign.

The cards seem varied and interesting, and The Harrow Court is a very interesting setting. Also loving the time spent in the Grand Bazaar just to start.

why does my mans have bird feet

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mister Olympus posted:

that makes sense, i'm considering it from the opposite viewpoint where you can't take a base class and go totally orthogonal to that class's intended behavior with a clever build--that sort of thing is what defines 3.x to me, and pf2 has much stronger role protection than that

It's better to have a bunch of classes that do things the players absolutely want them to do but are constrained for balance, as opposed to letting people break poo poo over their knee for gimmicks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chevy Slyme posted:

why does my mans have bird feet

Some fey have goat feet. Maybe this one has bird feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thaumaturge question: on a successful exploit weakness do you learn the value of the target's highest weakness? In the crit success description it specifically calls out that you learn the appropriate values but that wording isn't in the success description.

Logically I think it should, since the player should be able to determine if they want to use the personal antitheses or its mortal weakness.