Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
think of how much cooler it would be if the split was top/bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Somebody bought the cheapest inswing exterior door at home Depot and installed it backwards. Then tried to engineer a screen solution for it. You can break into this house by pulling pins from the hinges, by the way.

Look through that screen, it’s a garage. I am guessing there are about a dozen ways into most garages that are easier than loving around with hinge pins.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Exterior doors can be installed with security hinges that done come apart when the door is closed. We can't see if those are installed here or not.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wheatpuppy posted:

I think the reference to,pins was for the hinges on the outer door? Cause yeah, if you want to bust through the inner screen door you could just tear the screen.

Yes, I was talking about the outer door. Outswing doors exist so they make hinges for them that don't have removable pins.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The bifold screen door is fine, yall are being too precious.
It keeps the bugs out and lets the breeze in without smacking the furniture. Security is not a consideration (are non-folding screen doors better? lol)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Orvin posted:

Look through that screen, it’s a garage. I am guessing there are about a dozen ways into most garages that are easier than loving around with hinge pins.

The photo is taken from outside. Why does it matter if it's a garage? This garage could have a pathway into the house, it's all the same.

And while yes, there are security hinges and all sorts of cool stuff, but they don't come standard with the cheapest door that's in this photo. And the difference between in and out swing doors are in the threshold pitch. They removed the threshold completely in this photo, because they knew it would channel water into the opening.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Yeah the bifold screen door was on the side entrance to a garage. For further context, it was on a ~40 year old duplex in a 55+ condo association. I spend a lot of time in the communities there for work and see crazy amounts of crappy construction that has been done over the years by lovely contractors for clueless old folks on a fixed income. The screen door isn't necessarily crappy and makes some sense to be less intrusive when open, I've just never seen one before and I see a lot of weird poo poo there.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nitrox posted:

The photo is taken from outside. Why does it matter if it's a garage? This garage could have a pathway into the house, it's all the same.

And while yes, there are security hinges and all sorts of cool stuff, but they don't come standard with the cheapest door that's in this photo. And the difference between in and out swing doors are in the threshold pitch. They removed the threshold completely in this photo, because they knew it would channel water into the opening.

I've never seen a prehung door casing that looked like that so it probably didn't come with any hinges. The door looks like it has a thin metal threshold half covered in paint.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nitrox posted:

I can’t state for this particular house, but most houses in my area that have attached garages have better than regular interior doors separating the garage from the house. I think it is for the insulating properties, but they also usually have some level of keyed locks on them.

I can’t make any judgement on the overall quality of those doors and locks, but the generally seem to be about as well built as the regular home exterior door.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Orvin posted:

I can’t state for this particular house, but most houses in my area that have attached garages have better than regular interior doors separating the garage from the house. I think it is for the insulating properties, but they also usually have some level of keyed locks on them.

Among other things, it's because of fire codes. The wall and door need to provide 2 hour separation between the storage enclosure (garage) and living space.

Also, most people don't heat/cool their garage so as you said you want an insulated door as well.

Garage doors are easy as hell to get into, especially if you have openers on them so you really should treat that as basically outside space and the door inside your garage going to the house as an exterior door.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Among other things, it's because of fire codes. The wall and door need to provide 2 hour separation between the storage enclosure (garage) and living space.

Also, most people don't heat/cool their garage so as you said you want an insulated door as well.

Garage doors are easy as hell to get into, especially if you have openers on them so you really should treat that as basically outside space and the door inside your garage going to the house as an exterior door.

My 1963 house called and says that it pre-dates safety. Which is why I have a poo poo interior door separating the garage from the kitchen.

It’s on my list to fix. Cause drat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ptier posted:

My 1963 house called and says that it pre-dates safety. Which is why I have a poo poo interior door separating the garage from the kitchen.

It’s on my list to fix. Cause drat.

Well yeah, that wasn't really a thing in most places until the 80s. You do what you can when you can to update those things in older houses.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

canyoneer posted:

It's THAT HOUSE? I had heard that story before.
https://www.fox19.com/2023/02/23/cold-blooded-murder-northern-kentucky-public-official-she-was-unique/

Insane dude is convinced the Russia/Ukraine war is going nuclear and shoots his way into the family's home so he can capture the doomsday bunker for himself and ride it out.

what was his forums account

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

peanut posted:

The bifold screen door is fine, yall are being too precious.
It keeps the bugs out and lets the breeze in without smacking the furniture. Security is not a consideration (are non-folding screen doors better? lol)

Thermatru makes a retractable screen door meant for garage entry way now

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What would really be neat (yes yes and unwise) is a full-length door that opens in the middle, saloon-style. Handy for going in and out with hands full of stuff

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Maybe you know the answer from your AHJ days. Garage to dwelling wall assemblies are to be 2 hour rated, but the door can be just 20 minutes. I've never seen a door rated higher than 90. What's the thought process?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

brugroffil posted:

Maybe you know the answer from your AHJ days. Garage to dwelling wall assemblies are to be 2 hour rated, but the door can be just 20 minutes. I've never seen a door rated higher than 90. What's the thought process?

Maybe it's considered less likely that a door would have flammable material up against it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Y'all are making me think about my last rental. The garage and house were separate buildings, but there was a patio between the two and extended back against the side of the garage. The part of the patio between the house and the garage was enclosed so that from the outside, it looked like a single building (roof and siding just continuing unbroken, but I saw they weren't actually attached when I got up there to clean the gutters).

The door from the garage into this area didn't exist, just an open walkway. There was a "proper" exterior door out to the driveway with door lock and deadbolt. There was a double door out to the back yard, glass windows top to bottom, held shut by a cheap slide latch (and temperature changes causing it to jam shut half the year). The door into the house was another exterior door with proper locks, but also had glass windows top to bottom. Looked nice, but I figured if anyone got up to it, they were completely hidden inside of this patio with full access to my garage, so it would be a couple of seconds to smash the glass and get it. Frankly, I never locked that door unless I was gone for a few days.

It was nice getting to my car in the winter, like a sauna in the summer, and the patio floor just allowed it to fill with spiders and bugs, especially in the spring. Was like a nice cave protected from the elements for them!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

That came up in one of my code classes back in the day. It all used to be 20 minutes and there's no good resi doors rated higher so out of practicality it stayed at 20. The 2 hour separation for walls and ceilings only happened when 2 sheets of double 5/8"drywall was considered to be 2 hours which.......is kinda bullshit. Sheetrock doesn't do well when things fall on it or into it, especially if it's been exposed to heat and fire so it's really not as good as a block wall, especially for a storage enclosure, but it sure is cheap.

So the answer is basically "in reality the 20 minute door has as much or more of a chance of surviving as long as the rest of the wall and ceiling assemblies". (which are 2 hours in lab conditions, not reality) At least according to the people teaching that class.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

guys when I turn on the light in my garage everything else in my neighborhood dims, is this a problem??

stole this from reddit. It is... amazing.

From the Electrical thread. I'm digging the 2 prong suicide cords.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd never thought of using lightbulb Y's as load bearing members.

:psyduck:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Excuse me, it's the new Modular Lighting System, available for 4 easy payments of 39.95 plus shipping and handling and gratuity

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
those things are super blinding so lol at aiming them at the garage door

but maybe not after 23 adapters

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
E: found a better thread for it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 8, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Meth. Not even once.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Orvin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxeKdIOx14Y

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nobody thought of just cutting the screen?

Lol, lmao

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
crappy construction or sad rental ?

yes

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is that the triple threat of carpet in the bathroom, bad joint between shower surround and tub, and they just walked over a window poorly?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Orvin posted:

Is that the triple threat of carpet in the bathroom, bad joint between shower surround and tub, and they just walked over a window poorly?

oh yeah

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's a singularity of crap! RUN!!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
At least they got the right color carpet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tristesse posted:

Permanent poo poo towels, nailed to the floor.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tristesse posted:

It was white when they put it in.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's a nice-looking fence. What's the prob... oh.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I can literally smell this photo right now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

That looks like a 3000-4000 gallon pool... So that "structure" has at least 25,000lbs (11,300kg) on it :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Clearly it was built in self defense to stop hordes of invaders from advancing up their back lawn. One quick knock at the bottom of the structure and you've got a huge amount of water/burning oil to wash away the advancing army.