Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ve never had a lovely upstairs apartment neighbor.

I have a somewhat annoying apartment person who lives not-directly-next to my unit, but somewhat close. They play somewhat loud music and tv late but it’s 1) only ever on weekends 2) not really loud (but I can hear some noise while I’m bed) 3) happens maybe 1x a month and 4) is only until like 1am. so really it’s not bad.

I’ve been so lucky with neighbors in apartments that I’m worried that I’m the noisy apartment neighbor!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I live beneath an airbnb

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
h no bbb n bbbhhh
h
bhh
hh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Juchero posted:

h no bbb n bbbhhh
h
bhh
hh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Juchero posted:

h no bbb n bbbhhh
h
bhh
hh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol this poo poo has to be a scam

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god lol

https://twitter.com/jamesrambin/status/1645519530829946880?s=20

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

i imagine having two walls and an alley between houses does wonders for not annoying each other with loud music or house parties or barking dogs, seems like a fine tradeoff imo

Nah, worst neighbors I had had an alley separating us. They just kept all their windows open and blasted music while playing beer pong on the patio until late on weekday nights.

Dealing with neighbors who don’t even try to be quiet honestly ruined city living for me.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

anime was right posted:

I live beneath an airbnb

we all will eventually

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They paved paradise
then took down a parking lot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

anime was right posted:

I live beneath an airbnb and above another airbnb

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

New construction, notable for adequate soundproofing

It depends on how much money they put into it. I've lived in new builds that had paper thin walls where you could hear everything and others that were insulated well enough that I couldn't hear my neighbor's regular weekend parties.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

actionjackson posted:

I only hear noise upstairs when my neighbor vacuums. also she's gone all the time, and previously the unit was unoccupied for many years, so it's great. i've never ever heard someone next to me in 11+ years, i'm in newer construction so I'm sure there's some thick concrete between the walls

There was definitely a lot of noise from the shared wall in the duplex I grew up in. It was always kind of odd because it was hard to place exactly where the noise was coming from, so sometimes it'd sound like there was someone walking directly above us on our second floor, but it was just the weird way sound traveled when our neighbors were doing something loud upstairs on their side.

The parallel upstairs hallways were the really fun part, though. You basically couldn't distinguish between someone walking in our hallway or their hallway, so being a little kid and hearing footsteps outside your door all night was cool and terrifying.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live in a fourplex built 60 years ago. The guy below me only works 20 hours per week at most, the rest of the week he's in his garden apartment. I've had to knock on his door about a dozen times to politely tell him to turn his sound system down late on a weekday night (1 AM). He doesn't know what an equalizer is, doesn't ever wear headphones/earbuds, and the fact that modern movies having that annoying bass noise added to everything make my walls vibrate and I can hear the bass when I'm in bed with earbuds in. So, I play a 10 hour brown noise youtube video when that poo poo starts up to drown it out. Every other tenant is quiet, so there's no need to play Jason Statham's latest masterpiece that loud.

Now I'm dealing with the lovely, old plumbing in the building, where if you're taking a warm shower and someone else turns on the water in their unit, mine instantly goes ice cold until they turn their water off. So annoying, the pipes are loud enough that you know when someone else is showering or using the water in general. My landlord texted me back that the building's pipes are old and undersized, there's nothing he can do about it. Have you tried talking to your neighbors? lol the same neighbors that have instigated the landlord to plaster the laundry room with such a tome like "How to Properly Use a Washer and Dryer" and the foyer and apartment doors with "Please don't flush garbage down the toilets" and "Guests cannot park their cars so that they block other tenants car inside the garage". But I'm saving $15,000/year living here over a "luxury" apartment that would be at least 50% smaller and have paper-thin walls and floors.

I'll have the #4 with a Mr. Pibb.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The best thing about the condo that my wife and I bought (right as the pandemic hit) is that between floors it has a thick slab of concrete. My last rental place was a nightmare (even though it was built at around the same time the building I bought into). The floors were ridiculously thin. We lived in the top floor and the downstairs neighbor was a noisy nutjob who still complained about every little noise we made. Like, my wife would walk from the dining table to the kitchen and the neighbor would start banging on the ceiling. She had a new puppy who barked at all hours and would throw parties that would go until 4 am and we never complained. She'd complain to the landlord all the time. She only stopped because one time she came to our door and knocked to complain, and in the process of complaining her dog downstairs heard her voice through the floor and started barking, and she could hear perfectly how we could hear the dog barking and that the floors were to blame, not us.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

People playing thumpy loud bass should be fired into the sun, whether it's in a stopped car or in a home.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
lol that the housing crisis thread is a bunch of homeowners bitching about owning homes

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

willa is ri-- wait

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Poor soundproofing might be one of the biggest barriers to getting Americans to live more efficiently. Oh well, if the market doesn't want to solve it then it must not be a big problem :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Poor soundproofing might be one of the biggest barriers to getting Americans to live more efficiently. Oh well, if the market doesn't want to solve it then it must not be a big problem :)

i moved into a new place and i overlook a really busy street (this is probably insanely bad for my health), but the soundproofing is really good. i dont hear anything

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

19 o'clock posted:

lol that the housing crisis thread is a bunch of homeowners bitching about owning homes

siding isnt cheap!!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Basically every house in Auckland that isn't $3M+ is one of several houses on what was originally a single block of land. When the city was first built up people had relatively large blocks of land and so the streets were spaced quite far apart. Now that land is so valuable every block of land that used to be a single house has been chopped up to fit between 2 and 6 houses but there's still the original number of streets, and so most of the houses are accessed via long driveways going into each block.

Now that housing is even more unaffordable than it used to be the trend is towards packing increasingly smaller townhouses closer together on these blocks of land, so what might have been two houses on a block with some backyard becomes three with basically zero outdoor space. Most of these new townhouse type things tend to be 'luxury' style though, which means despite being on a small block of land they have 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, nice new fittings and cost multiple millions.

Still not much in the way of apartment building construction going on yet except for a few going up a few streets away from us.

Better suited for the I hate cars thread but one big issue here is that the original road network was built when there were probably 10X fewer houses on the same land area and there's practically no public transport network here to speak of (some busses, but they still have to use the same roads as all the cars). Without heavy investment into some sort of metro train network (which won't happen because we can't ever touch taxation) it doesn't matter how much you densify housing because people aren't going to be able to get to were they need to go on the tiny street network that was never designed to deal with so many people.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol there's a house I drive by that has a yard sign saying vote no to redo zoning laws to allow multifamily housing and also a ruth bader ginsberg sign that says some uplifting lib bullshit

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I present to you "Sprawl"

(Can you spot Denver?)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Multigenerational housing comes up a lot in this thread and other threads, but it's basically a total non-starter with the design of most American homes. The combination of poor soundproofing and "open" designs makes most SFHs really unsuitable for any kind of shared living. Nobody wants to cohabitate with their parents in a house with paper thin walls and a design that means the whole structure outside of the bedrooms is one massive shared living space.

People will just go homeless first.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

(Can you spot Denver?)

are there really pretty mountains directly behind you

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paradoxish posted:

Multigenerational housing comes up a lot in this thread and other threads, but it's basically a total non-starter with the design of most American homes. The combination of poor soundproofing and "open" designs makes most SFHs really unsuitable for any kind of shared living. Nobody wants to cohabitate with their parents in a house with paper thin walls and a design that means the whole structure outside of the bedrooms is one massive shared living space.

not exactly, lots of new construction of sfh have 'in-law quarters'. can have a small kitchenette and living room on top of isolated bed & bathroom.

i wouldn't be shocked if a lot of older houses just start getting demolished and 2+ smaller homes get built on top of them although the labor is ridiculously hard to secure (and expensive).

expect the prefab ADU industry to keep growing too and not just for airbnbs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in austin there's some weird anti-mcmansion ordinance that caps new builds at 2400sqft so you'll see these weird ugly three-storey things go up at 2 per lot. I guess it's density

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bring back summer kitchens in basements

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
instead of like a standard apartment why not just build a six story house and three families get two stories each.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Massachusetts is already halfway there!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love the idea of multigen housing but truthfully I couldn't stand living with any of my family again.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Massachusetts is already halfway there!

I think I like the two story unit to give a floor of buffer between everyone. like lay them out so the bedrooms are on floors 2, 3, and 6 (or 1, 4, and 5) this way nobody's living room and kitchen are directly above anyone's bedrooms

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

also a non starter with the design of most American families. capitalism and other more sinister forces have driven many of our parents and cousins insane

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

the bitcoin of weed posted:

also a non starter with the design of most American families. capitalism and other more sinister forces have driven many of our parents and cousins insane

easy don't let them move in until they have dementia or Alzheimer's

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Both my wife’s family and my own have radically different schedules, bedtimes, noise tolerance levels, cleanliness levels, and social lives. We’d all be miserable under one roof. I don’t know how other multigenerational families make it work besides just sucking it up or making major compromises.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

MFH for Americans is a doomed planned from the start. Instead give them to all the queer discord polycules.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have never had issues living in multigenerational homes. I mean, you allgrew up in one

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Celexi posted:

I have never had issues living in multigenerational homes. I mean, you allgrew up in one

parents + kids isnt really multigenerational bro

barely counts if its parents + adult offspring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Regular home: one airbnb
Multi generational home: 4 airbnbs