Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

effika posted:

Another use for sourdough discard: biscuits! I like buttermilk biscuits but never have buttermilk on hand. These get a nice tang from the sourdough and I like what my whole wheat starter added to the taste and texture. I got a nice crispy top and fluffy layered insides.

Breakfast for dinner tonight!

Recipe is King Arthur Buttery Sourdough Discard Biscuits.

We tried this and it did not come out well, insides were still doughy with the outside crumbly dry and brown, and a slight taste of baking powder. We would have probably needed to make some sort of adjustment to allow for the fact that our starter had a bunch of rye in it rather than wheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those of you looking for bubbly, blistered crusts should try dropping an ice cube or two into your Dutch oven/combo cooker. Really, you should just try baking in a vessel if you haven’t. I use the Challenger Bread Pan and a simple dutch oven a lot, and it makes an enormous difference vs just sitting in the oven.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm glad to hear that. I bought a cast iron dutch oven and have only used the lid so far (it's not enameled). It will be nice to have something to use the rest of it for...

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
It makes a significant difference when making hearth loaves; your country breads, sourdough, etc. home ovens are built to remove steam and moisture, so enclosing the bread in a dutch oven or other such bakeware keeps the steam trapped in there, giving you a much better crust, and oftentimes a much bigger spring.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Griddle of Love posted:

We tried this and it did not come out well, insides were still doughy with the outside crumbly dry and brown, and a slight taste of baking powder. We would have probably needed to make some sort of adjustment to allow for the fact that our starter had a bunch of rye in it rather than wheat.

That's too bad. My starter is 100% whole wheat, no rye, so I bet you're right that it had something to do with it.

For the taste, as long as there's enough acid the baking powder should break down enough to not be detectable. Mine were made with unfed discard from starter with hooch on top that was last fed a week ago.

Or maybe the brand of baking powder used has enough of the aluminum compound for you to taste. (I like Clabber Girl over the store brands for that reason). Or you're one of the lucky 1 in 3 people who taste bitter things more and double-acting baking powder will always taste bad over a certain percentage.

At least normal biscuits, sans sourdough, should still be on the table!

(edit to clarify when starter was last fed)

effika fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 2, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Please tell me I’m not the only one who is compelled to say clabber girl as a Jurassic Park homage every time the can comes out of the pantry.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

effika posted:

That's too bad. My starter is 100% whole wheat, no rye, so I bet you're right that it had something to do with it.

For the taste, as long as there's enough acid the baking powder should break down enough to not be detectable. Mine were made with unfed discard from starter with hooch on top that was last fed a week ago.

Or maybe the brand of baking powder used has enough of the aluminum compound for you to taste. (I like Clabber Girl over the store brands for that reason). Or you're one of the lucky 1 in 3 people who taste bitter things more and double-acting baking powder will always taste bad over a certain percentage.

At least normal biscuits, sans sourdough, should still be on the table!

(edit to clarify when starter was last fed)

I got a hunch the starter digests the rye more slowly than wheat. While it had been unfed in the fridge for a week, it looked great, vigorous bubbling, no hooch, firm consistency with a 1:1 flour to water ratio. So it may have lacked in acidity for that recipe as well. It was actually my partner tasting the baking powder, not me, as most of the time they are more sensitive to subtle tastes and fragrances. I was too occupied with the mouthfeel of the things.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Please tell me I’m not the only one who is compelled to say clabber girl as a Jurassic Park homage every time the can comes out of the pantry.

:same:

Since I was compelled to reply, I'll post that I made baguettes for the first time a few days ago and they turned out pretty good! I followed this King Arthur recipe. I went for their "extra crispy" recommendation of leaving them in the oven with the door cracked 2 inches until cool, but next time I'd probably skip that. A little too hard for my liking, especially when eaten sandwich-style.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Is there a compelling reason not to feed a starter with bleached flour? Finally reviving Carl Griffith's starter that I received back in September now that the weather is warming up, I've been feeding it all-purpose bleached because I'm broke and I have a 50 pound bag of it. I'm on day 4 and it's already filling a 24 oz jar and bubbling nicely, but EVERY resource says unbleached so now I'm not sure.

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 3, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah not really. It can, I suppose, cause issue starting a starter, but that's definitely a NYT "unprocessed non GMO is best" that doesn't really have bearing in reality.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The only thing I found was that it was harder to start a starter with bleached white AP flour than whole wheat or rye, but it sounds like yours is already off to a good start!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Day 5 update: I was reluctantly considering getting some new unbleached flour as my starter didn't seem to be thriving (only gaining about an inch of height) when it suddenly nearly doubled and almost burst out of the jar 2 hours after this morning's feeding. Transferred to a bigger jar and it's still growing. Think it might be almost ready for the first test bake.

Edit: never mind I hosed up. My brain slipped and I dumped a bunch more water into the starter than I intended, no idea how much but a lot more than 1:1:1 ratio. I added enough flour to get to the right consistency again but I guess it remains to be seen how badly I hosed up. Thankfully got a pizza dough going for tomorrow with my discard first.

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I tried the trick of throwing an ice cube into the Dutch oven and it worked. Well, from a sample size of one, but the rise is much better than I expected.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a whole wheat recipe that gives a decent crumb and isn't sweet? Doesn't have to be 100% whole wheat. My past experiences with bread baking was that my loaves tended to be more crumbly than I'd like. I tried the King Arthur recipe, and it's okay but has more sweetener than I want, anf I'm not sure how essential that sweetener is for the yeast to work.

I have a Dutch oven, a scale, pretty much everything relevant I know about except for a bread pan. I don't have sourdough starter but could easily buy some (or make it I guess).

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I tried the trick of throwing an ice cube into the Dutch oven and it worked. Well, from a sample size of one, but the rise is much better than I expected.

do you have to pre-heat your dutch oven first? it feels like you'd want to because otherwise you'd just get a melted ice cube and a loaf with a soggy bottom.

mine is enameled and i'm hearing mixed things about whether or not you should preheat those empty. i'd rather err on the side of caution

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

EightFlyingCars posted:

do you have to pre-heat your dutch oven first? it feels like you'd want to because otherwise you'd just get a melted ice cube and a loaf with a soggy bottom.

Preheat the pot and the lid, with the pot upside down to trap the heat. I lower the dough in with parchment paper, drop an ice cube on the outer edge (with the paper keeping the dough from getting soggy) and close the lid. Does a pretty amazing job.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any recommendations for a whole wheat recipe that gives a decent crumb and isn't sweet? Doesn't have to be 100% whole wheat. My past experiences with bread baking was that my loaves tended to be more crumbly than I'd like. I tried the King Arthur recipe, and it's okay but has more sweetener than I want, anf I'm not sure how essential that sweetener is for the yeast to work.

I have a Dutch oven, a scale, pretty much everything relevant I know about except for a bread pan. I don't have sourdough starter but could easily buy some (or make it I guess).

Yeast will rise quicker with sugar but absolutely don't need it. There's plenty to eat in the flour!

I find 70% whole wheat to 30% AP (or bread flour) gives a good rise while still being mostly whole wheat.

Vital Wheat Gluten may help get you a better texture, but after a while I stopped using it.

The Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day Master Recipe is that ratio, doesn't have sugar, and is no-knead (but you can knead it if you want, it's just a bit more hydrated but otherwise normal dough). It asks for vital wheat gluten but it's fine to leave it out. It takes a bit to dial in for a good rise but may be a nice starting point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I'll check that out soon.

I made my first loaf in over a year today, and I'm very out of practice. Eyeballed the hydration and overdid it, ending up with very sticky and un-kneadable dough. Baked decently but was very flat, as in not tall, because the dough was so flaccid. Still totally edible, just not much good for sandwiches.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

EightFlyingCars posted:

mine is enameled and i'm hearing mixed things about whether or not you should preheat those empty. i'd rather err on the side of caution

I've never had an issue in 4 years of baking in a Lodge enamel Dutch oven preheated at 500 for 45-60 mins

I use the ice cube trick, and drop it under the parchment that I drop the loaf into the pot with. I also spray down the loaf with water before baking, and before the second bake directly the rack of the oven

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dacap posted:

I use the ice cube trick, and drop it under the parchment that I drop the loaf into the pot with. I also spray down the loaf with water before baking, and before the second bake directly the rack of the oven

I do exactly this, following advice in this thread. It works really well.

I want a bigger dutch oven though. In making ragu bolognese today I had to switch pans.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I don't pre-heat the dutch oven, or the oven itself fully.* The dough has a habit of flopping out way off-centre, so I throw a half-icecube in but as far away as possible. I don't think it would be too much of a problem if I threw it right on top because of the long time of intense heat.
* my current procedure is to set the oven going to 240°C, go down and feed the cat, come back up and set everything going, so it gets about 10 minutes on the way there.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Did some more baguettes

My lame started catching and dragging it all around when I was slashing them, so I guess it's time to replace the razor blade.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

Did some more baguettes

My lame started catching and dragging it all around when I was slashing them, so I guess it's time to replace the razor blade.

Those look amazing. Would eat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mauser posted:

Did some more baguettes

Sweet, I'm working on some at the moment myself. I also had issues with the lame last time, probably because of how wet the dough is. I'll probably try spraying it with oil or something this time.

EDIT: Can report that the lightly oiled lame seemed to help. I should mention that the recipe I'm using doesn't really recommend dusting the dough with flour at any point during the process, they keep saying "lightly greased", so this was consistent with that. My dough was pretty much not dusted at all. It looks like you've been dusting them, so maybe dusting the lame would work better in that case.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

what's the setup you all use for baguettes? do you use those baguette trays or do you just let em rock on a baking stone?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EightFlyingCars posted:

what's the setup you all use for baguettes? do you use those baguette trays or do you just let em rock on a baking stone?

I've only made them twice but I've used my pizza steel (with cast iron pan full of boiling water underneath), and they are on parchment paper as well; however, I'm having issues with them not quite fitting. Not sure if that's more of an issue with how I'm shaping them or the equipment itself.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

He is risen.

Oh, too late, He is overproofed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

He is risen.

Oh, too late, He is overproofed.

:golfclap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Leaven
Apparently yeast and leavening is a common metaphor in Christianity. Makes sense. I was looking for something I’m sure I read that may have been partly humorous about how the yeast dying during baking represented Jesus dying for (y)our sins.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Jews have a whole holiday about risen bread (Passover) and it’s happening right now!!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Sir Lemming posted:

Sweet, I'm working on some at the moment myself. I also had issues with the lame last time, probably because of how wet the dough is. I'll probably try spraying it with oil or something this time.

EDIT: Can report that the lightly oiled lame seemed to help. I should mention that the recipe I'm using doesn't really recommend dusting the dough with flour at any point during the process, they keep saying "lightly greased", so this was consistent with that. My dough was pretty much not dusted at all. It looks like you've been dusting them, so maybe dusting the lame would work better in that case.

very nice! I can never really get mine to come out with a consistent thickness, but they're still tasty. The oiled lame trick helped a bit on this second batch I made for Easter, but these are a bit short so I'll keep practicing the shaping to get them right.

The flour coating comes from the couche, which might be a bit excessive, but I don't mind the look and it's better than having it stick to the fabric. One of these was used for petits toasts with foie gras

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife was describing some rolls she used to destroy her mouth on in Germany when she was visiting her extended family in a small town. It sounds like it was double baked ("crust inside a crust"). The outer crust would break in flakes and had a major sheen to it. It wasn't particularly brown, and the bread itself was actually kind of fluffy. It had some spring to it; she believed it would bounce back a bit if it was pushed down. Her favorite kind had cheese stuff into the top of it. I think her great aunts used to run it, but that's all old history. I'm wanting to get into techniques that are part of that while just trying to find a recipe from her extended family. Any general ideas? I haven't tried to do a double bake before so I don't really know what I should be doing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Nice video on slap-and-fold. I fast-forwarded to where they really start to get into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWN9mxR_iXI&t=545s

He goes into all kinds of stuff: what to do with your hole body, the kind of contact to make, what exactly to do with your hands, ways of screwing up and how to recover. Something I thought was particularly profound is that there's a distinct top and bottom while you're kneading really wet doughs and you don't want them to mix.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My wife was describing some rolls she used to destroy her mouth on in Germany when she was visiting her extended family in a small town. It sounds like it was double baked ("crust inside a crust"). The outer crust would break in flakes and had a major sheen to it. It wasn't particularly brown, and the bread itself was actually kind of fluffy. It had some spring to it; she believed it would bounce back a bit if it was pushed down. Her favorite kind had cheese stuff into the top of it. I think her great aunts used to run it, but that's all old history. I'm wanting to get into techniques that are part of that while just trying to find a recipe from her extended family. Any general ideas? I haven't tried to do a double bake before so I don't really know what I should be doing.

A lot of that stuff is more regional than you'd think. Knowing which state they're from would help pinning those rolls down a lot.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I keep having an issue with a pale top on the basic lean loaves I make every week. I assumed it was over proofing, but got the exact same result with a shorter proofing time (30m autolyse, 1 hour bulk ferment, 1 hour final rise). Got a better oven spring but still have the ugly pale top. Not sure what to try tweaking to fix it, I got fresher yeast and higher quality flour a few bakes before and have the same issue. I use cold tap water left out overnight to allow it to come to room temperature, might try bottled water if I get really desperate I guess.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Someone have a recipe for Vietnamese (i.e. banh mi) baguette? Hopefully a balance between Authentic and Quick.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Solarin posted:

I keep having an issue with a pale top on the basic lean loaves I make every week. I assumed it was over proofing, but got the exact same result with a shorter proofing time (30m autolyse, 1 hour bulk ferment, 1 hour final rise). Got a better oven spring but still have the ugly pale top. Not sure what to try tweaking to fix it, I got fresher yeast and higher quality flour a few bakes before and have the same issue. I use cold tap water left out overnight to allow it to come to room temperature, might try bottled water if I get really desperate I guess.

what oven temperature do you bake at? browning a loaf of bread is like browning any other food, you need a high temperature for it

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is it true that starter makes bread that is less sour if you store it in the fridge? My last loaf was significantly less tart and it was the first since keeping it in the fridge and just feeding weekly. This is not something I want but I also don't want to feed it daily keeping it at room temp.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Pale breadman: Higher temperature is needed, agreed. Don't be afraid to take the top off your vessel (if you're using a Dutch oven or cloche or foil hat) for the last 15-20 minutes of baking.

Books On Tape posted:

Is it true that starter makes bread that is less sour if you store it in the fridge? My last loaf was significantly less tart and it was the first since keeping it in the fridge and just feeding weekly. This is not something I want but I also don't want to feed it daily keeping it at room temp.

Time since last feed and length of bulk proof for the resulting dough is more important I've found. I keep my started in the fridge, feed it once a week like you, and make stuff with the discard at that time. (I rarely use freshly fed and active starter.)

I know if I can get a nice long 16hr bulk proof using discard I had to strir some hooch back into I'll get very flavorful loaf as a result. (I'll goose a 2lb loaf with like 1/4tsp commercial yeast since my starter isn't active and it'll still taste great.)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

effika posted:

Pale breadman

This is my Death Stranding name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think there's some variables that are being ignored. Bacteria outcompete yeast at lower Temps, so the starter itself, all things being considered, will be more sour with a long ferment in the fridge. You probably needed to wait longer. As always what ratio etc etc and you'll eventually get the mjcrobs to adjust a bit.

I dislike using a non active starter since you can always use a longer bulk or final ferment to get the more sour flavor. The extra acid and whatever else may exist if you allow it to hooch or get real funky will inhibit gluten formation and such.