Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

brunch with yr parents posted:

1) will you have options for the time that you get, or are you just assigned a random time?
2) if you are assigned a morning time, or if that is all that is available, does that need to be the park that you reserved?

Thanks!

1. You'll be able to select any time of the day.

2. If the time is before 2, yes, you'll need a reservation for that park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BadSamaritan posted:

This is a silly question that nobody here can authoritatively answer, but why doesn’t Hollywood Studios have more filler rides? Like almost everything is a big attraction with a big line, why not have a few chiller things to duck into?

Or at this point do they figure people would gripe too much about simple/clever/cute rides to have them be worth the money to add?

FWIW, this is a pretty common complaint, I think. Disney has gotten pretty lax about building A-C ticket rides. We got Alien Swirling Saucers in Toy Story Land, but other than that, I'm struggling to think of recent-ish attractions that didn't obviously cost a buttload of money to build. I think you might have to go back to new Fantasyland's doubling up of Dumbo to get another off the shelf attraction. Even attractions that obviously aren't supposed to anchor areas - Na'vi River Journey, Smuggler's Run, Web Slingers - are technologically sophisticated, obviously pricey things.

There are probably a couple reasons. It's hard to market an off the shelf, lightly themed thing that's there to pad a day out. DisTwitter would probably get very obnoxious about it, since everything the company does has tons of ink spilled over reviews and POVs. Much harder to tell the degree to which they care about it, but it's probably non-zero.

Remember too, though, that Fastpass+ hosed with the idea of "chiller things to duck into." One of the effects of everything having two queues is that everything stacks a wait, even stuff that you'd think would be walk on attractions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

brunch with yr parents posted:

Thanks, everyone, for answering my earlier questions about cheerleading competitions in WDW. We are about three weeks away and the other parents aren’t as insane as me, so I’m not sure if there will be any plans made ahead of time, other than, hopefully, park reservations made ASAP. Against that background, we are hoping to get a lightning lane reservation for guardians of the galaxy and I have a couple of questions.

1) will you have options for the time that you get, or are you just assigned a random time?
2) if you are assigned a morning time, or if that is all that is available, does that need to be the park that you reserved?

Thanks!

Virtual queue is first come, first served but goes fast so it’s effectively random. You don’t choose a time, you just get assigned a number when you hit the button. Paid lightning lane lets you choose.

The system doesn’t let you buy/claim times that you couldn’t be in the park.

The 7am VQ requires you to have an Epcot reservation to try at all. Paid access will only let you buy times you could be there. If the 1pm VQ is still available at 2, which is common these days, you can enter if after scanning into the park.

There’s no guarantee the VQ system is still in place by May though. Everyone seems to expect it to drop any day now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Boxman posted:

FWIW, this is a pretty common complaint, I think. Disney has gotten pretty lax about building A-C ticket rides. We got Alien Swirling Saucers in Toy Story Land, but other than that, I'm struggling to think of recent-ish attractions that didn't obviously cost a buttload of money to build. I think you might have to go back to new Fantasyland's doubling up of Dumbo to get another off the shelf attraction. Even attractions that obviously aren't supposed to anchor areas - Na'vi River Journey, Smuggler's Run, Web Slingers - are technologically sophisticated, obviously pricey things.

There are probably a couple reasons. It's hard to market an off the shelf, lightly themed thing that's there to pad a day out. DisTwitter would probably get very obnoxious about it, since everything the company does has tons of ink spilled over reviews and POVs. Much harder to tell the degree to which they care about it, but it's probably non-zero.

Remember too, though, that Fastpass+ hosed with the idea of "chiller things to duck into." One of the effects of everything having two queues is that everything stacks a wait, even stuff that you'd think would be walk on attractions.
They do seem to have been locked into the influencer cycle of providing the Biggest/Fastest/Loudest thing for you to get a selfie in the queue of alright. It's kind of weird when you think about the difference between the things that aren't the anchor vs the things that are and the gap really isn't all that big. It's interesting that Na'vi River Journey is the closest thing to a new ride in the 90's style of darkride we've had in a long time, but there's probably plenty of things that'd work great in a similar configuration for various properties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Building new, non-marquee rides outside of a larger refurbishment or retheming is probably a really hard sell to the execs too.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah- I’m bringing two little kids, and I’m struggling on how to pace Hollywood Studios, which is what got me thinking about it.

I want to go and see the Star Wars stuff, but am having trouble seeing how it’ll be anything but a half day park when the kids aren’t really able to tolerate the longest lines or midday show times yet. MK, AK, and Epcot all seem to be stronger on either having lots of filler or not relying as heavily on long line-based/showtime-based attractions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollywood Studios is a half day park that takes a whole day because of how long the lines are.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aphrodite posted:

Hollywood Studios is a half day park that takes a whole day because of how long the lines are.

You could make that argument for every non-MK park really. If you don't do the non-ride stuff (which HS arguably has the least of currently) they're all in the same ballpark for attractions:

Magic Kingdom – 24 Rides
EPCOT – 11 Rides
Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 9 Rides
Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 8 Rides

Counting non-ride attractions, EPCOT has the WS to eat up time, AK has all the zoo attractions and a lot of shows, and HS has some but not as much. Disney's website lists the total number of attractions including rides as:

MK 58
EPCOT 69
AK 64
HS 32

I am curious if average wait timers/ride are higher at HS vs Epcot/AK.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Poseidon's Fury got got. Closing at the end of May. Bastards.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

J33uk posted:

I never went and never will but feel like I got enough of the idea from the Expedition Theme Park video

interesting to close an attraction while opening another park... I don't think it's going to spring back as Legend of Zelda Land any time soon

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It occupies a pretty large space in a themed area that's now very dead.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Did it just refurb!?!?

Why do this?

With Epic slated to open soon, they can’t be planning a big update to lost Continent.

Like if you combine this space with the Sinbad theater , you’ve got a lot. But to what purpose?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More Harry Potter, obviously.

Lost Continent is already the spillover line for Hagrid on really busy days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are they going to keep investing in Harry Potter stuff? Seems like the franchise has died a death on this side of the world.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Arquinsiel posted:

Are they going to keep investing in Harry Potter stuff? Seems like the franchise has died a death on this side of the world.

I loving wish

quote:

Hogwarts Legacy sold over 12 million copies within the first two weeks. Hogwarts Legacy has also broken the record for the biggest WB Games launch on Steam, and it has remained near the top of sales charts since its release

Even if it was down as a franchise, it's still the biggest thing Universal has going (along with Mario now that that movie broke all records too) and will continue to be the biggest driver of traffic for the parks.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Arquinsiel posted:

One can only hope they continue being dumb and releasing Fantastic Beast movies, bonus points if they include Ezra Miller. Run the franchise into the ground please.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Epic Universe is getting a 3rd Harry Potter section.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

Did it just refurb!?!?

Why do this?

With Epic slated to open soon, they can’t be planning a big update to lost Continent.

Like if you combine this space with the Sinbad theater , you’ve got a lot. But to what purpose?

Rumblings are that it's had plumbing related issues for years now and whatever is going on, they didn't fix. The speculation is Legend of Zelda but I'm not sure I buy that because they have a full blown Super Nintendo World opening in Epic Universe. It would be really weird to put that in there. Maybe a Jurassic Park/World expansion?

I love Poseidon's Fury so I'm very happy I'm going to be down there right before it closes to get to do it one more time. My wife has never experienced it so this gives us a reason to make sure she gets to do it. It's campy and corny, but it's also original and fun. In an environment where, increasingly, everything has to be an e-ticket just to get built, I'm sad to see to go.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

J33uk posted:

It had one cool part imo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Not to mention it's one of like two attractions at Universal that are not IP based.

My theory on them recently refurbishing it and then choosing to close it is that they were comparing its impact on the park operating and not operating. It was the last to re-open after Covid after all. Perhaps the data showed them that it just didn't have enough pull anymore, so keeping it open doesn't help negate lines elsewhere. It also probably doesn't score too positively in their Guest Satisfaction surveys.

It's been rumored for a while that Hogsmeade would expand into the former Sinbad area. Diagon Alley has also long been rumored to expand into the closed Fear Factor theater next door. With Poseidon gone, I expect a full re-theme of Lost Continent. I really hope it's not Potter though since it's been all but confirmed that Epic is also getting a Potter land.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1645867519369007113

fuckin FINALLY

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Akileese posted:

Rumblings are that it's had plumbing related issues for years now and whatever is going on, they didn't fix. The speculation is Legend of Zelda but I'm not sure I buy that because they have a full blown Super Nintendo World opening in Epic Universe. It would be really weird to put that in there. Maybe a Jurassic Park/World expansion?

I love Poseidon's Fury so I'm very happy I'm going to be down there right before it closes to get to do it one more time. My wife has never experienced it so this gives us a reason to make sure she gets to do it. It's campy and corny, but it's also original and fun. In an environment where, increasingly, everything has to be an e-ticket just to get built, I'm sad to see to go.

I don't think it was a coincidence this closing announcement happened the week after the Mario movie broke records. I'd imagine they could put Zelda here, especially if they took over the Sindbad area too. They will have Harry Potter in all 3 parks, why wouldn't they want to sell multipark passes for Nintendo fans also?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Opening a Zelda area in a location in the middle of the Island of Adventure with very little needed to retheme it to make it look like a town in Hyrule is a slam dunk. You can do something simple like a show and it's guaranteed to get way more foot traffic than that area has seen in years.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Diabetic posted:

Opening a Zelda area in a location in the middle of the Island of Adventure with very little needed to retheme it to make it look like a town in Hyrule is a slam dunk. You can do something simple like a show and it's guaranteed to get way more foot traffic than that area has seen in years.

Yeah when I took another look at that whole Lost Continent area, it's absolutely massive, and with PF closing, the only thing being utilized in it is Mythos and some shops. I think they're using the old Sinbad theater as an extra extended queue for Hagrid's when the park opens in the morning, but that's pretty much it.

I didn't realized Sinbad closed that long ago, with that in mind, it's absolutely wild they opted to even try to fix the pipes in PF the first time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I mean we still don't dine in at restaurants but literally everyone else does and I'm completely flabergasted as to why it took so long for that particular restaurant to pop back up considering how popular it is.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

They’ve been serving lunch and dinner, I think, for awhile now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The breakfast seems to be special since people really like the Mickey waffles I guess?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Arquinsiel posted:

The breakfast seems to be special since people really like the Mickey waffles I guess?

It isn't really special compared to any other breakfast place at WDW, it just has all you can eat breakfast, which I love, and its in Epcot. There aren't any other places like it in Epcot (that I am aware of) for breakfast.

I have to stare directly across the table at my wife or I get motion sick while we eat lol.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Arquinsiel posted:

You can basically get Mickey Waffles anywhere, so I dunno if that's a big get.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

It isn't really special compared to any other breakfast place at WDW, it just has all you can eat breakfast, which I love, and its in Epcot. There aren't any other places like it in Epcot (that I am aware of) for breakfast.

I have to stare directly across the table at my wife or I get motion sick while we eat lol.

Akershus existed but it sucked

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

couldcareless posted:

You can basically get Mickey Waffles anywhere, so I dunno if that's a big get.
But as alg pointed out, they're all you can eat Mickey waffles, so if that's your one thing I can see why you are desperate for them to come back.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

But as alg pointed out, they're all you can eat Mickey waffles, so if that's your one thing I can see why you are desperate for them to come back.

I just liked the living with the land chill area :shobon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Splash Mountain DLR is gone May 30th. May 31st it closes for the start of the replacement.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Does anybody have a good picture of the second inversion on the Velocicoaster? The second dive loop? It’s my favorite element.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Splash Mountain DLR is gone May 30th. May 31st it closes for the start of the replacement.

I guess I don't understand taking down your big water ride right before summer. Why not do this in fall/winter?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The need for more breakfast options in the parks is huge, especially for Epcot. Glad it’s coming back. I keep seeing rumors are that 1900 PF is next to be announced and Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria too so I hope that’s a thing.

Give me my drat QS at BOG though. I’m finally breaking down and trying lunch there in a couple weeks and I haven’t eaten inside since QS lunch left.

Sad I’m going to miss Poseidon’s though. The friends I go with never wanted to stop in, then it was closed, so I never got the chance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

J33uk posted:

I've never been to Universal, but most the hype around IoA was around stuff like this and Dueling Dragons and other ancient legend stuff.

People give Disney poo poo about what they're doing to Epcot but the loss of identity at IoA seems to be kind of swept under the rug of "who cares, third gate coming."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VorpalBunny posted:

I guess I don't understand taking down your big water ride right before summer. Why not do this in fall/winter?

Yeah, sort of wondering if this isn't just bloggers jumping the gun again. Disneyland doesn't have a water park to divert people to.

MK racing full ahead to the point they're now ripping the facade to pieces is understandable. DL I would have figured til late August.

I do have to say I wish they'd leave the exterior of the mountain mostly alone aside from some agricultural "swampy" stuff. There's room for improvements, but money spent tearing the tree stump off the top of the flume is money that's not being spent on higher quality show scenes in the back of the house. Retheme debate aside, the fear that some of the best animatronic sequences in the industry is going to be replaced with Navi River Journey 2.0 looms over this project.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 13, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

I've never been to Universal, but most the hype around IoA was around stuff like this and Dueling Dragons and other ancient legend stuff.

People give Disney poo poo about what they're doing to Epcot but the loss of identity at IoA seems to be kind of swept under the rug of "who cares, third gate coming."
Dueling Dragons was (barely) rethemed and it fit into the Hogwarts area really well. As great as Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Longname is was there really any need to remove the coaster? The Hogwarts Express is one of the more disappointing things I was on in Universal. As much as the idea of there being a ride that takes you from park A to park B is cool, the queue is so drat long and the "ride" so pointless that it's better to just walk. I'm kind of amazed they didn't just make a huge omnimover TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
For the first time I missed the 7am queue but we managed to snag the 1:00pm Tron queue.

7am one was gone in literal seconds.