Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how many guilty counts at trial in december for trump?
This poll is closed.
complete and total exoneration 94 21.12%
6.9 48 10.79%
420 63 14.16%
Goku 240 53.93%
Total: 445 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
Lmao I wanna use some try/catch logic and see if I can upset some of our GTAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a democrat that fights ??

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

i cant wait for the byob spaceship to come back

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I doubt even managers understand it. I've seen managers buy a bunch of dumb as dogshit software before, some salesman blew enough smoke up someone's rear end that it became their pet project, so now everyone is forced to use it due to sunk cost fallacy despite questionable functionalty.

I was the SCM guru for a program I worked at northrop, and one of the managers, who was not a software guy, asked me for a change log to be sent from the SCM system every morning so that he could 'see what was being worked on'

and I was like 'are you sure, do you know what you're asking for?' anyways he insisted on it and after getting a 5 MB text email with 'commits vs existing' every morning at 6 am that he couldn't understand, told me to turn it off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TotalHell posted:

for use in bad threads

you used in this thread

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Buddykins posted:

you can visit that thread any time u like

but you can never leave

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I pissed off a few people there by joking around that i was dead serious that tom nook is a landlord in animal crossing and literally forces you into your situation and he deserves the guillotine in the town square

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Buddykins posted:

We need a cspam star destroyer

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

If you think code smells, get a whiff of the programmers.

i took a shower on Sunday!

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Lux Anima posted:

you can visit that thread any time u like

but you can never leave

last i saw it was in AI lmao

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red Baron posted:

Lmao I wanna use some try/catch logic and see if I can upset some of our GTAs

i'd never hire you if you did that

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
which one of you nerds is going to change my password

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DryGoods posted:

emfive is in charge of that

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Buddykins posted:

I pissed off a few people there by joking around that i was dead serious that tom nook is a landlord in animal crossing and literally forces you into your situation and he deserves the guillotine in the town square

his children would understand, TBQH

timeshares are a literal scam, and they are minors their father forced into labor

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Vim Fuego posted:

The Something Awful subforum CSPAM (Computer Stupidity and Pointless Arguments) has some similarities to Slytherin House from the Harry Potter series.

Slytherin House is often associated with ambition, cunning, and a desire for power. Similarly, CSPAM is a subforum where users engage in heated debates, often with the intention of proving themselves right or coming out on top. CSPAM is a place where people aren't afraid to speak their minds, and where strong opinions are often the norm.

Slytherin House is also known for its exclusivity and tendency to favor its own members above others. Similarly, CSPAM has a certain level of elitism, as it's a subforum that requires users to pay for access. This exclusivity can create a sense of community and camaraderie among its members, but it can also lead to a certain level of tribalism and cliquishness.

Of course, it's important to note that these comparisons are not meant to be taken too seriously. The Harry Potter houses and Something Awful subforums are very different things, and individuals within them can vary widely in their behavior and attitudes. Nonetheless, there are certainly some interesting parallels to be drawn between CSPAM and Slytherin House.

this would be more appropriate if you used one of the American Houses from, say, Ilvermorny School

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

a democrat that fights ??

Per this xthread, courts will just immediately throw it out because lower courts aren't allowed to participate in checks and balances on congressional activities??

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
If you are a novice coder, set it up in your local stack, and follow it's advice fr. It's free!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Plinkey posted:

i'd never hire you if you did that

well now you’re just being a wet blanket

but I guess they do already get enough poo poo from having to grade some of these assignments

ooooh, I know, I’ll convince one of the stupider kids to do it

yeah, that’s right, I’m management material

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red Baron posted:

well now you’re just being a wet blanket

but I guess they do already get enough poo poo from having to grade some of these assignments

ooooh, I know, I’ll convince one of the stupider kids to do it

yeah, that’s right, I’m management material

that is literally one of my pet peeves of coding and I've yelled at people about it

learn to check if poo poo is null, try/catch is only for unexpected error handling

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Plinkey posted:

although we do have a bunch of lovely coders

if there's one thing I've learned since the late 70s, it's that trying to stop hapless and helpless poor coders from loving poo poo up is like trying to contain hydrogen gas.

also a key koan on the path to enlightenment is to understand that hapless and helpless poor coders created the lovely "we'll fix all your code problems" products that sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars a seat.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/cEHy8jJ.mp4

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol

reading this thing

the internet has absolutely shattered the brains of most people (especially if they're old)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

if there's one thing I've learned since the late 70s, it's that trying to stop hapless and helpless poor coders from loving poo poo up is like trying to contain hydrogen gas.

also a key koan on the path to enlightenment is to understand that hapless and helpless poor coders created the lovely "we'll fix all your code problems" products that sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars a seat.

there are so many code screenshots in the sr dev teams chat that are just 'why......?'

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1645866257562980380?cxt=HHwWuMC-3YOppdctAAAA

All you gotta do is say no to Gym just like he did to the J6 committee and nothings gonna happen.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

no thank you

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

19 o'clock posted:

lol

reading this thing

the internet has absolutely shattered the brains of most people (especially if they're old)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i'm so tired

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

DryGoods posted:

I literally wrote a 3 page analysis paper at a previous (friendly and non-lovely) employer on the topic of why password rules are directly counter-effective at increasing password strength. It's extremely hard to get people to listen to that however.

Also those authentication apps like Authy (there are dozens, all pretty similar) may seem inconvenient but they are better than text message verification in two ways: faster and easier and they work when you have poo poo cell coverage but good wifi, also they are impervious to attacks like SIM-swap. Super easy to implement also.

e: also I think Microsoft 365 stuff still only allows 15-character passwords and they have utterly inscrutable rules for "quality", shameful.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

dont want to go to work. I want to trump.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol

the entire thing is riddled with boomers tweeting it's fuckin awesome

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Imagine how different Trump would be it he was offline.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

"That's our Trumo!" [Laugh track]

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bragg 2024

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Imagine how different Trump would be it he was offline.

I lived through that

he was the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

while you were cheering for mario amd princess peach i was chanting go soros backed attorney general bragg and the rule of law