Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Alphinaud is Ben Wyatt and the Crystal Braves are Ice Town.

I will not be taking any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right...

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

alphinaud is a very funny character to me because the reality in story is that he is basically no longer capable of being clowned on on account of being a 16 year old who has saved the world multiple times. like it's funny on multiple levels when krile and alisaie try to dunk on him in post-HW for giving a cringe "I'm gonna save the world" speech when he entered college after skipping a few grades, because it's obviously embarrassing and funny but also by that point he HAS saved Eorzea multiple times. meanwhile alisaie shows up two expansions late after backpacking around europe on the trust fund she pretends not to have

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The twins are really some of the best examples of “teenager” brain I’ve seen in fiction.

Good at heart, but really, really sure that they know better than everyone else when they first start. Alph especially has a serious case of “I know people have been trying to stop war for thousands of years, but if I can just talk to them, I know they’ll listen to my unique point of view and plan for world peace and we’ll all be friends by next Friday.”

And then the real world just brutally, brutally crushes his dreams before he has to look at reality and adjust his expectations accordingly. But he’s a great character because he stays a good person and learns from his earlier dumbassery. And it’s actually an earned character arc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HPanda posted:

The twins are really some of the best examples of “teenager” brain I’ve seen in fiction.

Good at heart, but really, really sure that they know better than everyone else when they first start. Alph especially has a serious case of “I know people have been trying to stop war for thousands of years, but if I can just talk to them, I know they’ll listen to my unique point of view and plan for world peace and we’ll all be friends by next Friday.”

And then the real world just brutally, brutally crushes his dreams before he has to look at reality and adjust his expectations accordingly. But he’s a great character because he stays a good person and learns from his earlier dumbassery. And it’s actually an earned character arc.

Never really though of it until now Post-StBIt's actually real good his airship crashed and never made it to Garlemald.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Valentin posted:

alphinaud is a very funny character to me because the reality in story is that he is basically no longer capable of being clowned on on account of being a 16 year old who has saved the world multiple times. like it's funny on multiple levels when krile and alisaie try to dunk on him in post-HW for giving a cringe "I'm gonna save the world" speech when he entered college after skipping a few grades, because it's obviously embarrassing and funny but also by that point he HAS saved Eorzea multiple times. meanwhile alisaie shows up two expansions late after backpacking around europe on the trust fund she pretends not to have

Alisaie does create the cure for tempering, which probably saves the lives of far more people personally and directly than Alphinaud

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Im an alisaie stan but the little lord does have his moments

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Alphinaud is repeatedly The person when we're at our absolute lowest. From post titan to post banquet to early HW and then the level 57 stretch he's the one that's always been there for us before anyone else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HPanda posted:

I appreciate his decision post-Heavensward to lean into the idealism just being aware that it could screw him over. "Even if we fail we have to do this because nobody else will even try."

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Alisaie does create the cure for tempering, which probably saves the lives of far more people personally and directly than Alphinaud

I find this interesting because I feel like EW (enormous endwalker spoilers within) was setting up for SOME kind of character beat for alisaie that simply never comes. she's coming off the huge victory of curing tempering, but she still feels deeply inadequate and there's multiple times in the story (the garlemald convo with alphinaud, thavnair final days, the return to garlemald) where she expresses the feeling she simply isn't good enough. this culminates in Ultima Thule, where she very straightforwardly is like, this sucks, this sucks, I hate this, no matter how strong we get somehow the burden always falls entirely on you, I'm so sorry. then she comes back with the rest of the team for about 30 seconds for their big drat heroes moment.

then you send her away AGAIN because she's actually right, she's still not strong enough to stand beside you and help you, and then instead of her, you accept help from The Worst Dude In The World. and then you almost die having a cool realitybending end of spacetime duel with HIM.

meanwhile alphinaud gets to have his whole firewood moment that's partly about how much the most important people in the world all trust him implicitly. a real sibling L despite having cured tempering

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 11, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Valentin posted:

I find this interesting because I feel like EW (enormous endwalker spoilers within)

I think her taking point on the Garlemald recovery and doing a great job at it is a bit of a make up call for this, but I'd agree her arc isn't really complete. One thing I did like that EW did with her inferiority complex was how she sometimes laments that she didn't have any friends at the Studium, especially compared to King Nerd Alphi. Then you actually go there and talk to people and it's all "Which of the Scions would win in a battle royale and why is it Alisaie*?," "Please help me find the wind-up Alisaie that disappeared from the shrine to her I keep in my dorm," and "The alumna I've always had a huge crush on recently returned, and she learned a new martial art during her travels! Please make me a rapier so I can practice it and maybe she'll notice me."

Well, okay, maybe she didn't have any friends, but admirers (and stalkers?) count for something, right?

*The game doesn't let you tell him it would actually be Y'shtola or Estinien, but Alisaie would probably be the last of the rest still standing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Theris posted:

*The game doesn't let you tell him it would actually be Y'shtola or Estinien, but Alisaie would probably be the last of the rest still standing.

Y'shtola is a toss up, but Estinien loses cause he thinks he's fighting Alph.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Alphinaud is repeatedly The person when we're at our absolute lowest. From post titan to post banquet to early HW and then the level 57 stretch he's the one that's always been there for us before anyone else.

he's the best and anyone who gives him poo poo will be felled by my blade

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Valentin posted:

I find this interesting because I feel like EW (enormous endwalker spoilers within) was setting up for SOME kind of character beat for alisaie that simply never comes. she's coming off the huge victory of curing tempering, but she still feels deeply inadequate and there's multiple times in the story (the garlemald convo with alphinaud, thavnair final days, the return to garlemald) where she expresses the feeling she simply isn't good enough. this culminates in Ultima Thule, where she very straightforwardly is like, this sucks, this sucks, I hate this, no matter how strong we get somehow the burden always falls entirely on you, I'm so sorry. then she comes back with the rest of the team for about 30 seconds for their big drat heroes moment.

then you send her away AGAIN because she's actually right, she's still not strong enough to stand beside you and help you, and then instead of her, you accept help from The Worst Dude In The World. and then you almost die having a cool realitybending end of spacetime duel with HIM.

meanwhile alphinaud gets to have his whole firewood moment that's partly about how much the most important people in the world all trust him implicitly. a real sibling L despite having cured tempering

This is all especially perfect when you main RDM because it's just an outright direct comparison between the two of you

though to be fair I always like to characterize it as an older/younger sibling rivalry with the elder (me) pushing the younger to be better so she can catch up/surpass me and the younger (her) pushing the elder to be better so she can't

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Now to consider how much I want to keep playing for the PvP outfit vs letting my sub lapse for a couple months until the Saucer event

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I really wish there was a way to try on the PvP outfit without actually getting the coffer. I'd really appreciate being able to plan my grind around "does this actually look good on my character?"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I really wish there was a way to try on the PvP outfit without actually getting the coffer. I'd really appreciate being able to plan my grind around "does this actually look good on my character?"

There is if you use add ons

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Antivehicular posted:

Ask someone to link you the pieces

super sweet best pal posted:

Now to consider how much I want to keep playing for the PvP outfit vs letting my sub lapse for a couple months until the Saucer event
If you want to go insane, you can grind Frontline for more Allagan orbs :getin:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is there a way to chat link to an item you don't have? Maybe you could /e the link to try them on, or you could just ask someone to link the outfit once they have it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think the Item Search plugin can get you what you need.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. Only 18 months after Endwalker launched and I just realized that Meteion almost sounds like Meteor, the symbol for FFXIV.

I am very smart.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Theris posted:

"Please help me find the wind-up Alisaie that disappeared from the shrine to her I keep in my dorm," and "The alumna I've always had a huge crush on recently returned, and she learned a new martial art during her travels! Please make me a rapier so I can practice it and maybe she'll notice me."

Well, okay, maybe she didn't have any friends, but admirers (and stalkers?) count for something, right?

I got the implication that those last two are the same person, and the latter is just an anonymous request.
Though in this highlighting, it is sort of a point that Alisaie overlooks her achievements - even in these threads, she's been called "the dumb one" and in-game she's meant to be nearly as intelligent as Alphinaud who just graduated top of his class while simultaneously being one of two of the youngest graduates of the Studium. Part of the situation is that Alisaie is like an A or A+ student and Alphinaud is an A+++ student and instead of taking her inferiority out in the same field by restoring the Ultima Weapon, she instead decided what she needed to try to do was go into a completely different line that her brother can't compete in, and wound up having to measure up against the universe's pre-eminent adventurer instead.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah they're both geniuses, the game never once implies that Alisaie is actually less intelligent than her brother, just a bit less academically inclined, though that must also be judged on a scale as she's still better educated than 99.99% of the people you encounter

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah they're both geniuses, the game never once implies that Alisaie is actually less intelligent than her brother, just a bit less academically inclined, though that must also be judged on a scale as she's still better educated than 99.99% of the people you encounter

They both effectively have Sharlayan PhDs. his is Political Science while hers is Applied Aetherology, aka 'Use Aether to break things'.

Selane
May 19, 2006

It's not like Alisaie is inferior, she just has an inferiority complex because her accomplishments are usually slightly less impressive than her brother/WoL. I remember reading somewhere that the reason she lists swimming and swordplay as her hobbies are because they're things that Alphinaud is bad at. Every once in a while she's pretty transparent about it, like that time Lyse asked her if she can swim and her response was basically, "Why yes Alphinaud *is* bad at swimming, thank you for asking, I mean can you even BELIEVE that guy??".

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The phase transition cutscene for p8s is kickass.

it's good, but nothing has yet topped o4s and I suspect nothing ever will

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sharlayan culture is basically 100% calibrated to make Alphinaud the prom king of the entire country, and as a result Alisaie has miscalibrated expectations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The phase transition cutscene for p8s is kickass.

Man od'd on G-Virus so hard he broke reality

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

:hmmyes:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Valentin posted:

Alisaie's got an interesting situation with her overall character story, that's comparable to Y'shtola but not quite the same. Y'shtola's somehow been central to most of the game's story while never having a character arc or personal journey. Meanwhile Alisaie's actually HAD character arcs and moments that should be defining hallmarks and achievements of her character that the story just sorta moves past without really letting them become 'part' of her. Yeah, she should be allowed to be The Girl That Cured Tempering or something, but instead they just... let that happen, then brought it in one patch later, and then kinda just didn't use it ever again. I guess a bit of a consequence of the nature of tempering; it's a symptom of a larger problem, so when that larger problem goes away suddenly so does 'I cured tempering'. Personally I'd have given her a bigger role in the 6.x story in that respect; with void corruption being very similar to tempering, she could serve a strong support role.

Some corners of the community really like to complain that 'FFXIV hates its female characters' and the like. And while I think that's mostly not true and a lot of examples they bring up are more 'I wish this character didn't have this happen', I do feel like the game's got a habit of shuffling its more prominent female characters into the background rather than use them as heavily. Not for any specific or deliberate reason, I think they just keep making entirely understandable, non-sex-based decisions that just happen to sideline the ladies. Obviously there's exceptions even then, but it is noticeable that we don't really have female characters given the long-term development and prominence of, say, Alphinaud and Estinien. There's Lyse, but it's also noticeable that when she got development it was a demotion in prominence, she went from 'main cast member' to 'background player in diplomacy scenes'.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Merlwyb basically stuck in a closet since... The HW recap quest until post-StB when they remember she needs to be at a diplomacy table.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Which is frustrating because she owns a fuckton.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, she had some downtime, but she's also rather notably a side character that's very focused on a specific region. As much as I personally like her, her showing up randomly wouldn't make sense while we dealt with the closing of the Dragonsong war, the Warriors of Darkness, easing relations between Ul'dah and Ala Mhigo or wrapping up loose ends in Doma.

If she'd been sidelined during the post-ShB lead up to EW where we dealt with the kobolds there'd be a reasonable complaint, but she was, uh, rather significant in that.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Merlwyb got a whole MSQ patch story devoted to her, and one of the EW role quests had her as a big player. And if you want to include 'character action that the story didn't give much attention to', she is the one leader in the Alliance readily willing to support us after the assassination attempt. Kan-e-Senna's got the shorter stick there, but even she still got a role quest. Merlwyb is probably the female character with the best long-term treatment by the story, just in terms of remaining either present/prominent constantly and having general upward movement in her own story; she's on the sideline pretty often, but as Onean said, she's got a very specific story focus so it makes sense she's not always around. Nanamo's not far behind; probably more prominent, but takes a hit thanks to both the events of the Parting Glass and the results of it on her.

But the thing that gets me about this is it's always sorta like that. With a lot of these characters you can say on an individual level that yeah, it makes sense why she's not in parts of the story or why it treats her in that way, but on the macro level it turns into 'wow, all the cool and influential female characters only exist for very specific stories, and all the female characters around for stories more generally don't get to have major influence on or development from them'.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mordiceius posted:

Welp. Only 18 months after Endwalker launched and I just realized that Meteion almost sounds like Meteor, the symbol for FFXIV.

I am very smart.

"Mete-" as a prefix in Greek is really just "meta-" as in beyond, or above. "Meteor", "mete-aero", "beyond the air/sky". "Mete-ion", I think intended as "goes beyond".

Not to say that it wasn't an intentional nod, but it works on its own and fits with the Greek theme in that part of the game.

Until looking this up for this post I was happily unaware that "ion", "cation" and "anion" are just derived from "moves", "moves down/towards" and "moves up/away", because the thing that first defined them was that they moved in an electric field.

In conclusion, Meteor is white magic in FF14.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Did Y'shtola have more going on in 1.0? She always seems like a hyper competent advisor (without the lonely nerd story hook Urianger gets), so I was less bothered by her lack of specific development.

It feels like she's always doing her own thing and only occasionally needs the WoL to be around. Like, she doesn't need your character or Magnai to do her thing.

Also there's her whole long term self-sacrifice arc, which hasn't really gone anywhere but who knows when that'll come up again.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Xerophyte posted:

"Mete-" as a prefix in Greek is really just "meta-" as in beyond, or above. "Meteor", "mete-aero", "beyond the air/sky". "Mete-ion", I think intended as "goes beyond".

Not to say that it wasn't an intentional nod, but it works on its own and fits with the Greek theme in that part of the game.

Until looking this up for this post I was happily unaware that "ion", "cation" and "anion" are just derived from "moves", "moves down/towards" and "moves up/away", because the thing that first defined them was that they moved in an electric field.

In conclusion, Meteor is white magic in FF14.

When you're introduced to her you're straight up told that her name means "Shooting star"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Did Y'shtola have more going on in 1.0? She always seems like a hyper competent advisor (without the lonely nerd story hook Urianger gets), so I was less bothered by her lack of specific development.

No, but in fairness, nobody did. 1.0 just wasn't that kind of game.

She has the distinction of being the first person in the story to deal with an Ascian (not one of the red-maskers), but at that point the Ascians weren't important, and the end result of that story was that she failed to stop him taking the artifact that'd go on to power Alexander.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Alexander is a fun name for a Primal. Imagine if God was named „Matthew”

Anyway I did the coils! I can’t help but feel like this was lore I should’ve learned without posting a party finder between the dark academia and male viera roleplay ads lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

goblin week posted:

Alexander is a fun name for a Primal. Imagine if God was named „Matthew”

Anyway I did the coils! I can’t help but feel like this was lore I should’ve learned without posting a party finder between the dark academia and male viera roleplay ads lol

Those normal raids get eaiser to do them from here on out but they all suck cept for that shb one. Well the battles in the stormblood one are good but theres a huge obvious reason for that