Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Payne lmao

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Every once in awhile I re-remember that Payne was and presumably is very skilled with a pen, and his current style is entirely the product of decades devoted to the singleminded goal of spending as time or effort on politooning as possible.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 11, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
He spends so much of his day pondering deep thoughts on modern life and society he hasn't much time left for drawing

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is Aragones the last of the classic team left now?
Aragones started earlier than I had realized (1963) so he's just about the last one from that far back. To the best of my knowledge there's one living EC contributor (Angelo Torres, age 90) but it looks like he took some detours and didn't end up a regular Mad contributor until 1969, but he stuck around for forty years, so he's probably the last truly "classic" Idiot left. He was the guy who did all of the movie/tv caricatures who wasn't Jack Davis (d. 2016) or Mort Drucker (d. 2020)

Looking this up made me realize how weird it is that all of those three (Drucker and Torres especially) kept contributing to Mad into the early 21st century; their styles are so intertwined with television/film/celebrities of the 1960s-1980s that it's jarring to see them do the Sopranos, Jar Jar Binks, etc.

Jaffee (and Aragones and everyone else who didn't primarily do parodies/caricatures) don't feel quite as stuck in one era, even if obviously the three I mentioned also all worked across 5-7 decades.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Angepain posted:

He spends so much of his day pondering deep thoughts on modern life and society he hasn't much time left for drawing

I mean in practice it's because he also does full time auto journalism for the Detroit News and hosts a weekly auto radio show. The infamous "vroom vroom" Payne comics we mock? They're a separate "Car-toon" that's specifically automotive themed.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/Hoganmag/status/1645519622668427264

I don't think Jaffee did too much politoons, but he was the guy who created the MAD fold-in. RIP to a real one.

edit:

https://twitter.com/AthenePromachos/status/1645528459064774656
He certainly got political.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jesus Christ those are good, it's insane to think just how talented you would have to be to design those.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting

Holy poo poo, I think this is the closest PC has ever come to actually making a point about something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

Holy poo poo, I think this is the closest PC has ever come to actually making a point about something.

I know, it's even true! I even laughed!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Randalor posted:

Jesus Christ those are good, it's insane to think just how talented you would have to be to design those.

The police brutality one with its use of colour and the police only appearing after the fold is especially incredible to me.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail on Sunday:

“They’ll never change… Would you mind drawing the curtains, Jenkins?... May I have a cup of tea, Jenkins?... Some more cornflakes please, Jenkins...” As Charles backs study into historic connections to slave trade...The Royal Family is hit by new payout demands over their links by Caribbean campaigners who say the Monarchy 'must make repair and atonement' for their involvement

quote:

Charles's support for the academic work, carried out by the University of Manchester with Historic Royal Palaces, was welcomed by researchers and campaigners. But others voiced fears it could open the door to the Royal Family and the Government facing demands to pay compensation, or reparations, for their role in the slave trade and colonialism.
Oh no! There might be fiscal consequences for the vast fortunes we acquired from vile crimes!
No really how do you voice exactly those fears aloud and not get punched there must be at least one human being near these people when they say these things with working arms.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Is there a Kellies Nomination for Worst "The One Joke"?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chris Britt

John Deering

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Chilton on Easter reflections and local elections – Keir Starmer and Rishi Sunak await local elections as party leaders"

Telegraph:

Keir Starmer unrepentant over aggressive ‘dog whistle’ Labour tweets attacking Rishi Sunak

Times:

Labour takes aim at PM’s wife over non-dom status; Four-day junior doctors’ strike to disrupt NHS for a month

Evening Standard:

Joe Biden to make personal push to unite Northern Ireland parties during visit

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JamesBont posted:

Is there a Kellies Nomination for Worst "The One Joke"?

yes.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

It isn't really misinterpretable because Stiglich undoubtedly thinks it's a bad thing, but still, can I get a hell yeah

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

did they just stick a nikki haley head on top of their libertarian lizard named dio and call it a day

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

It always amazes me when they openly just say “Things are new or changed and this scares and angers me, like a caveman throwing rocks at a fire after leaving their cave”

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Do those symbols actually mean anything in any context? If so I'm sort of impressed he just managed to make up things instead of copy-pasting something found online, cause otherwise it's a lazy non-gorrell.

China Daily

US double standards and hypocrisy on spying by Song Chen

Le Monde

by Landschulz from Germany

Charlie Hebdo

Taiwan: Island of Love
Every year the American and Chinese submarines meet here to reproduce.

Presse Citron

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I see Tom has gotten to that part of his PokeDex

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Parents should not be able to stop their kids from living as their true selves, AGC

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

scratch a parent and a fascist bleeds

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do those symbols actually mean anything in any context? If so I'm sort of impressed he just managed to make up things instead of copy-pasting something found online, cause otherwise it's a lazy non-gorrell.

What does your heart tell you and/or google "gender symbols"

they're not massively in use outside of male, female, transgender and maybe a couple others - they come from that age of tumblr or whatever when everybody was designing flags for every concept regardless of whether it had caught on much - but y'know, it's not like it hurts anyone or anything for someone to have a symbol that fits their own specific deal. and some of them look pretty cool

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Ben Chilton on Easter reflections and local elections – Keir Starmer and Rishi Sunak await local elections as party leaders"

why is there a bucket with poo in it, other than there being an unspoken quota for piss and poo poo in brittoons. why is there a donkey smoking drugs. what are you doing mister

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Donkey smoking pot is because of Keith being weird about the smell of skunk smoke drifting in through windows 'ruining lives', bucket of poo is probably because of that weird story going around about the toilets not working at Corbyn's Labour HQ, which was of course because Corbyn himself did a massive communist poo poo into each one and refused to flush.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Hell yeah

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Who could fill the hem of Trump’s pant leg?

Even taken non densely its absurd that Branco thinks Trump could even get remotely close to doing the damage to our country that Reagan did.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

The other funny thing about this is that the male and female symbols come from the astrological signs of the planets (Mars for male and Venus for female ofc) so there have always been more than just the two.

Boo! ☿

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 11, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

US double standards and hypocrisy on spying by Song Chen

So, you're, uh, admitting it? Even the leaked docs are, to the best of my knowledge, about the US spying on other governments.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 11, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Angepain posted:

What does your heart tell you and/or google "gender symbols"

they're not massively in use outside of male, female, transgender and maybe a couple others - they come from that age of tumblr or whatever when everybody was designing flags for every concept regardless of whether it had caught on much - but y'know, it's not like it hurts anyone or anything for someone to have a symbol that fits their own specific deal. and some of them look pretty cool

Hard agree, I think it's great that people can better define themselves. Don't know why I thought he'd work though.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrel

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like the "how it started" bit too.

Like yeah if people back in the Neolithic had all decided to avoid hetero stuff there probably wouldn't be all these humansgenders around now, well done Tom.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

So, you're, uh, admitting it? Even the leaked docs are, to the best of my knowledge, about the US spying on other governments.

Is that admitting it.

The cartoon shows the US with a bunch of spy gear while pointing at an app that's just standing there looking skeptical

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 11, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Why would anyone care about TikTok supposedly spying when governments just buy that information from data brokers? At best it's a distraction from a much larger problem.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
someone post the "what are you, chinese?" chip bok response, I forgot how it goes

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

"What's Stigmata Here"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Presidential Arraignment*

*Latest Fad

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Is that admitting it.

The cartoon shows the US with a bunch of spy gear while pointing at an app that's just standing there looking skeptical

it's a literal tu quoque, so, yeah.