Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The editing/cuts during the Kokushibo/Akaza scene were too much. It was just really distracting and bad.

Rest of the episode was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

How long is the first episode

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

GateOfD posted:

How long is the first episode

49:25

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lmao the production on the upper five meeting was so incredibly extra.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ufotable just showing off against the regular budget shows

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Reminder: it was in the movie, so they probably had cash to blow on it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I agree that the opening with the Upper Ranks was so extra it ended up being kinda silly.

Outside of that, good episode. I like the hospital crew. :unsmith:

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Man this opener to the new arc was so good. I'm completely invested in pretty much every mystery the story has going on right now, like what is Muzan up to and why does he want the blue spider lily, what history/beef do the upper 6 have with each other, what's the deal with Haganezuka's family, & why that one dude was pulling his teeth out in the hot springs. I'm not a manga reader so having set up all these pins I can't wait to see how the show knocks them down.

Oh and the fact Inosuke was "hanging around" rooting for Tanjiro to wake up for days on end was adorable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Inosuke gets the best (arguably only) character growth in KnK.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though that was his only appearance this arc. We won't be seeing him and Zenitsu again for now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what the hell the Mist Hashira's fighting style looks like based on the snippets in the OP. Does he just deliberately break his sword and chuck it at demons? Maybe the swordsmiths all hate him for it or something.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Looking forward to Love Hashira epic whipping

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else super confused about tanjiro's dream at the beginning? I can't even begin to guess at it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

if it was suppose to be his dad, he just looks wayyy too much like Tanjiro.

And its a bit hard to believe, that Tanjiro as a baby was able to fragment and remember that scene if that was what he was doing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tanjiro's dad is named Tanjuro. This guy was Sumiyoshi.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I think it'd be a good gag if all the wrong names inosuke calls tanjiro ended up being the name of his ancestors

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I somehow always forget how insanely good Demon Slayer looks until more of it comes out. UFOtable are truly full of black magic practitioners.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wonder how much of demon slayer's success is due to ufotable.

like I did look at the manga chapters a bit, and the art is kind of rough around the edges. And at times, dare say, looks really bad.

throw some ufo magic at it, and boom, its the best looking thing out there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought the art was a bit rough when I started but it grew on me and I liked its jankiness, especially for the small, comedic scenes.

This was before the anime was even announced.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I like the comic too, but the animation quality has been very impactful obviously.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone else super confused about tanjiro's dream at the beginning? I can't even begin to guess at it.

Yeah no idea

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

wonder how much of demon slayer's success is due to ufotable.

like I did look at the manga chapters a bit, and the art is kind of rough around the edges. And at times, dare say, looks really bad.

throw some ufo magic at it, and boom, its the best looking thing out there.

As far as I know, the anime's why the series made that leap in popularity in the first place. I think they were like what, 20 or so chapters away from wrapping up the manga when it got announced?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

As far as I know, the anime's why the series made that leap in popularity in the first place. I think they were like what, 20 or so chapters away from wrapping up the manga when it got announced?

Actually the anime was announced early during the arc we are on. Which started a little before the midway point. Chapter 98 of 205.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 16, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually the anime was announced early during the arc we are on. Which started a little before the midway point. Chapter 98 of 205.

I don't know where or what I'm getting my information from then. My memory of it is that the manga was either made to wrap up or the serious event in Gotouge's life happened pretty late into the manga and so it kinda just sped to the end like 30 chapters away or something.

Or maybe I'm just using the wrong word and it's not that the anime announcement that got it a ton of attention and it was the release of it.

I dunno how I got my info mixed exactly but looking at wikipedia it looks like it wasn't till the anime ended and people were talking about it that it got a huge boom in viewers so, for late 2019 and it ending May 18 2020, that sounds about right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

Or maybe I'm just using the wrong word and it's not that the anime announcement that got it a ton of attention and it was the release of it.

It was this. The high quality of the anime got a lot of attention to the series.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Swordsmith Village ep2

drat, that cliffhanger from ep1, turns out its a mechanical doll, and not a real person.

no one notices the similar earrings on Tanjiro and the doll.
love that the swordsmith kid quickly unlocks the obsessed swordsmith demanor after demanding Tanjiro starts training.

The training session reminds me of Tanjiro training against the boulder at the beginning of the series.
Tanjiro finally learning how to read attacks and avoid them. Seems like its something that Inosuke just does instinctively without thinking. Just shows how much of an outlier genius he actually is.

surprise sword appears after he breaks the doll

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Strange dolls lying in forests distributing swords is no basis for a system of swordsmanship. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 17, 2023

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

Strange dolls lying in forests distributing swords is no basis for a system of swordsmanship. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm thinking this is a "promote a branch family, hide the true heirs" situation.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The big question I have from just watching the anime is why This doll, the upper #1, and tanjiro's dad all look like the same person (it's been a while since I've watched the parts with his dad doing the sun dance but I think the hair is super similar?)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

There are some clearly intentional character design similarities, at least between Tanjiro's dad and coma dream dude.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Time to bust out the good old time travel theories.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

genetics

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gotta get those robots in anime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

genetics

Well going by the dream they are not related.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Previous Flame Hashira completely gave up after doing research on fire/sun breathing.

Tanjiro's father or someoje who looked just like him was able to defeat the big bad but unable to pull the trigger and appeared extremely burned out in Tanjiro's memories.

Ancient weapon designed after an amazing swordsman has one sword in the center.

3rd Ranked begged Flame Hashira to become a demon and become stronger.

Guess: Tanjiro's direct ancestor and possibly Sun breathing progenitor became a demon and now 1st Rank to offset that sun breathing literally kills you. All breathing variants exist to mitigate this flaw but are left not powerful enough to defeat Aizen. Tanjiro will take up his sword.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah that's kinda where I was going with my thoughts as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Got into the thick of things this episode.

I love the Hantengu fight.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Yawgmoft posted:

Tanjiro's father or someoje who looked just like him was able to defeat the big bad but unable to pull the trigger and appeared extremely burned out in Tanjiro's memories.

That was an inherited memory from 300 years ago. Super not Tanjiro's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
We have seen Tanjiro's father in flashbacks.