Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

From 2022 but here are the numbers if anyone cares.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dark1x/status/1542546724476133377?s=20&t=atO0lY3SyzvFK3zoso4dFg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The new Bayonetta Origins game looks better than Cyberpunk and RDR2 to me. It has a nice painterly look

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
^^^^ hell yeah

Bayonetta Origins has an insanely good art style. I think it's 30 fps.

It really doesn't bother me on handheld, but I'll happily buy the next Nintendo console.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always like Nintendo console launches just because they’re usually pretty different. I’m not really a huge nintendo game guy but i appreciate their existence doing whatever weird stuff that turns out to be insanely successful (wii-U excepted, can’t all be bangers)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

WiiU walked so Switch could run

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Wii U was epic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah it was definitely part of the evolution

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Wii U was epic

Sony is bringing the controller back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
iirc the wii u mock thread ended with like most of the thread getting wii us because they were cool

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Truly the Dreamcast of the modern era.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The wiiu concept kicked rear end, if only they hadn’t used 10 year old parts for the tablet.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It can apparently brick if you don't turn it on for a while I heard. So if you still have one check to make sure it still works.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I haven't really touched my Switch since I won a Steam Deck back in December. I'm nervous to put Switch emulators on it because I fear I'll never go back.

Xbox: Excited for Ghostwire Tokyo, looks to be a pretty straightforward game.

Is Dead Island 2 going to be good? I might wait for that one to go cheaper because it sort of looks like more of the same just with better tech.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Xbox stays winning I’m reading

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

iirc the wii u mock thread ended with like most of the thread getting wii us because they were cool

Well that and how insanely cheap they got. I picked up one in 2016 on black Friday for $220 that came with smash and splatoon

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well that and how insanely cheap they got. I picked up one in 2016 on black Friday for $220 that came with smash and splatoon
drat, that's almost as good a deal as an Xbox and gamepass

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Sony is bringing the controller back

There must always be... a Second Screen Controller.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Nuts and Gum posted:

The wiiu concept kicked rear end, if only they hadn’t used 10 year old parts for the tablet.

If only it hadn‘d had the worst name possible for the successor to the Wii.

Anyway I‘ve been playing Mechwarrior 5 recently and been having a blast. It‘s nothing special but it ticks the right boxes for me. Never would have tried this out without game pass :3:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol this just made my whole month

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sony Group Corporation needs to touch grass

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Sony lashing out like it's some tiny internet company circling the drain instead of a giant corporation.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I seriously can’t believe how hard Sony is eating poo poo right now. Not really related to buyout chat but it’s like this.

Sony circa 2006: Hey let’s make a proprietary processor architecture that’s annoying to develop for but we swear will be the future of gaming. Also, let’s charge the highest MSRP of the generation and see how that works out. *narrator voice* It didn’t work out.

Sony circa 2020 on the heels of a very successful console generation: Hey let’s make a console with a proprietary set of requirements for storage—which to my knowledge has not materialized aftermarket solutions yet correct me if I’m wrong there—and 3D audio and haptic controllers and also let’s make the console huge as gently caress and hey let’s charge $100 or more above standard MSRP.

Like you could replace cell processor for haptic controllers and bespoke HD enclosures/connections and while it wouldn’t be exactly identical, it’s parallel enough to be interesting as a similarity in strategy. To the extent that I really don’t understand what they’re thinking.

Oh and that’s to say nothing of the absurd nickeling and diming with the VR relaunch and that insane second controller. Going this hard on hyper-specific hardware is not wise.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is all insanely boring I just want Sekiro on game pass. gently caress! rear end

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The console started off as garbage that no one wanted, but Nintendo did turn it out, it's just that they didn't really do so until near the end of its life.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This sent my balls into a whole other dimension lmaooooooooo

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is all insanely boring I just want Sekiro on game pass. gently caress! rear end

I want that new card game on GP. :mad:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hey gang, Sony Interactive Entertainment street team representative here. Jim Ryan asked me to address some of the anti-Sony misinformation and propaganda that's been going around.

BurningBeard posted:

Sony circa 2006: Hey let’s make a proprietary processor architecture that’s annoying to develop for but we swear will be the future of gaming. Also, let’s charge the highest MSRP of the generation and see how that works out. *narrator voice* It didn’t work out.
PS3 had a rough start but Sony turned it around, lifetime sales exceeded 360 by the end of that gen. *narrator voice* It worked out

quote:

Sony circa 2020 on the heels of a very successful console generation: Hey let’s make a console with a proprietary set of requirements for storage—which to my knowledge has not materialized aftermarket solutions yet correct me if I’m wrong there—and 3D audio and haptic controllers and also let’s make the console huge as gently caress and hey let’s charge $100 or more above standard MSRP.

Dead wrong, completely wrong on storage and the 3D audio and dualsense gimmicks kick rear end. Haptics and adaptive triggers are so good that some PC players buy a dualsense for the few games that support it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

I seriously can’t believe how hard Sony is eating poo poo right now. Not really related to buyout chat but it’s like this.

Like you could replace cell processor for haptic controllers and bespoke HD enclosures/connections and while it wouldn’t be exactly identical, it’s parallel enough to be interesting as a similarity in strategy. To the extent that I really don’t understand what they’re thinking.

Oh and that’s to say nothing of the absurd nickeling and diming with the VR relaunch and that insane second controller. Going this hard on hyper-specific hardware is not wise.

dumbass lol

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

BurningBeard posted:

Sony circa 2020 on the heels of a very successful console generation: Hey let’s make a console with a proprietary set of requirements for storage—which to my knowledge has not materialized aftermarket solutions yet correct me if I’m wrong there

The storage isn’t proprietary, there is a healthy market for third party drives and it is now way cheaper than XBox. XBox is the one with the proprietary expensive storage. Everything else you wrote is correct.

Although as an owner of both I’ll say the Dualsense with its haptics and audio and everything owns bones and I love it and whenever I pick up my XBox controller I’m a little sad. Dualsense feels amazing in your hands and the sticks don’t clack.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Riven posted:

The storage isn’t proprietary, there is a healthy market for third party drives and it is now way cheaper than XBox. XBox is the one with the proprietary expensive storage. Everything else you wrote is correct.

Although as an owner of both I’ll say the Dualsense with its haptics and audio and everything owns bones and I love it and whenever I pick up my XBox controller I’m a little sad. Dualsense feels amazing in your hands and the sticks don’t clack.

Thanks for the correction.

Yeah it’s not an issue of quality just an issue of priorities. Also people get really weird about critiquing a corporation lol.

Oh right I forgot about the storage cards those are dumb as hell.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

BurningBeard posted:

Thanks for the correction.

Yeah it’s not an issue of quality just an issue of priorities. Also people get really weird about critiquing a corporation lol.

Oh right I forgot about the storage cards those are dumb as hell.

I think the funny thing is that going so hyper-specific on the hardware demands that they have exclusives. It’s a true value add on stuff like GT and Horizon and Spider-Man. But I don’t expect cross-platform stuff to support it. PS5 feels more prestige to me because of those fearurss, but I’ll play anything cross-platform on the XBox.

Which makes it all the more stupid that they’re attacking exclusives on the XBox.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

On the storage front, Sony got it right and MS got it wrong this generation. To upgrade your PS5 storage, you just buy a standard NVME SSD from one of a number of vendors and pop it in. You do want to make sure you get one that’s fast enough, but there are lists all over the internet about that.

Xbox, on the other hand, has the proprietary connector crap and you’re stuck paying Seagate’s vastly inflated prices. Western Digital will supposedly have something soon, but AFAIK none of the WD units are available yet.

Last gen was kind of similar. I replaced the HDDs with SSDs in both my PS4 and Xbone, and the PS4 was way easier.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Azathoth Prime posted:

On the storage front, Sony got it right and MS got it wrong this generation. To upgrade your PS5 storage, you just buy a standard NVME SSD from one of a number of vendors and pop it in. You do want to make sure you get one that’s fast enough, but there are lists all over the internet about that.

Xbox, on the other hand, has the proprietary connector crap and you’re stuck paying Seagate’s vastly inflated prices. Western Digital will supposedly have something soon, but AFAIK none of the WD units are available yet.

Last gen was kind of similar. I replaced the HDDs with SSDs in both my PS4 and Xbone, and the PS4 was way easier.

I believe the xbox has an m.2 (but a short one, 2230 like the steam deck) drive but will only operate with a drive it recognizes as valid so you can't just slap in an upgrade from sabrent or whatever. Also it's much more difficult to access than the playstation one. And 2230s are more expensive per GB than the regular 2280s just because higher density NAND is required in the small form factor.

They might have some special stuff in the drive too (for direct storage?) but I imagine a regular one would work if the software allowed it.

One thing that does kind of suck is that there isn't a good open standard for external NVMe drives that you can plug into devices, that would be pretty cool especially if they adopted it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah I misunderstood. I thought the HD enclosure or whatever was sorta specific and that we were still waiting on aftermarket support. Glad to hear that’s worked itself out.

I mean I went hard on digital last gen so I’ll buy my FFXVI/backlog machine eventually, but I guess my point is if you’re thinking value for money, which is always my first thought with consoles, it’s kinda no contest.

Was legit really pleasantly surprised that MS had stuck hard to backwards compatability stuff all these years, and I’d forgotten what it’s like to have a digital storefront that doesn’t suck. So many little user experience concerns that Sony’s kinda let molder over time.

And next gen MS is gonna do something dumb as gently caress because I feel like that’s how it always goes.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

priznat posted:

One thing that does kind of suck is that there isn't a good open standard for external NVMe drives that you can plug into devices, that would be pretty cool especially if they adopted it.

Yeah, with SATA there was eSATA. Then USB 3.0 came along and outperformed it. The “standard” that everyone seems to have glommed onto for external NVMe is “put it in an NVMe enclosure and connect it with USB / Thunderbolt”. USB has a ton of different speeds depending on which version you use, and most (maybe all?) of them are too slow for what the Xbox wants.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Azathoth Prime posted:

Yeah, with SATA there was eSATA. Then USB 3.0 came along and outperformed it. The “standard” that everyone seems to have glommed onto for external NVMe is “put it in an NVMe enclosure and connect it with USB / Thunderbolt”

Yeah I guess the best you could hope for would be a single slot backplane where you could shove a U.2 drive in but that's gonna be big $$ enterprise class poo poo

Maybe EDSFF 1UShort external plugin drives will reach acceptance out of enterprise stuff but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

priznat posted:

Yeah I guess the best you could hope for would be a single slot backplane where you could shove a U.2 drive in but that's gonna be big $$ enterprise class poo poo

Maybe EDSFF 1UShort external plugin drives will reach acceptance out of enterprise stuff but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Somebody did hack together an adapter that would let you use your own M.2 2230, but good luck finding the right drive that the Xbox will recognize and use.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Riven posted:

I think the funny thing is that going so hyper-specific on the hardware demands that they have exclusives. It’s a true value add on stuff like GT and Horizon and Spider-Man. But I don’t expect cross-platform stuff to support it. PS5 feels more prestige to me because of those fearurss, but I’ll play anything cross-platform on the XBox.

Which makes it all the more stupid that they’re attacking exclusives on the XBox.

Lack of compelling exclusives is the only place where Sony is seriously loving up this gen. Their "believe in generations" strategy doesn't work without exclusives and besides an OK launch window, it's been a weak showing over the last couple years. It's easy to laugh off the fancy rumble or 3D audio or VR if there isn't much software to demonstrate its value.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best game for both haptics and 3D audio (Returnal) came out almost two years ago now and nothing has come even remotely close to topping it wrt either of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

BurningBeard posted:

I mean I went hard on digital last gen so I’ll buy my FFXVI/backlog machine eventually, but I guess my point is if you’re thinking value for money, which is always my first thought with consoles, it’s kinda no contest.

Do you just mean gamepass here? Because the consoles cost the same. Gamepass is an amazing deal, way better than what Sony offers, but with the hardware you’re trading a little bit of power for the controller and 3D audio stuff, which IMO Sony comes out ahead on because they are both awesome. I have both and they are both good!

Then there’s the series S, which maybe you’re comparing to the digital PS5? In which case lol