Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anecdotally: I've got a couple year old Lenovo laptop with a Ryzen 5 and no dedicated graphics, FSR let's me run Tarkov at mostly playable framerates, in exchange for some suspect artifacting on bushes. Wizardry, as far as I'm concerned.

That it can step up and run RT/PT is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Rinkles posted:

huh it's more playable than I was expecting at 1080p with a 3060ti. with quality dlss looks like the fps is 30-50.

i should take out my CRT to play at 1024 * 768 (though I'm guessing RT quality deteriorates with resolution).

that gives me some hope, but I unistalled CP awhile back and still have 17 minutes left on it redownloading.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status/1645760301088878592?t=oVUdjwQRyPeh4ACAra-otA&s=19

This seems really low even with FSR already enabled

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nvidia still has some raytracing tricks up their sleeves I guess? Or maybe there’s some driver weirdness that AMD can fix.

https://twitter.com/webbyspidy/status/1645824364535742466

They say later that’s 1080p. Still, pretty impressive, I’ll have to see what I can coax my 3080 into doing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

portal RTX also ran abysmally on AMD cards, something about RTXDI just doesn't agree with RDNA at all

someone profiled portal on AMD and saw the issue was extremely high register pressure, which could be AMDs driver doing something stupid, or the way RTXDI is structured just being pathological for the way RDNA does raytracing half in software

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

surely nvidia wouldn't make their implementation run like poo poo on a competitor's hardware

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

has anyone got overdrive running on an intel arc card, it wasn't possible to get a third opinion on portal because it was just broken on arcs drivers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inept posted:

surely nvidia wouldn't make their implementation run like poo poo on a competitor's hardware

Intentionally doing so would be anticompetitive.

However AMD should get an exception for GPUs and Intel as a penalty for hitting AMD when they were down. I mean seriously Intel, construction cores didn’t need any help underperforming, why did you check for the “Genuine Intel” string as part of the dispatch code for icc and ipp?

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

repiv posted:

someone profiled portal on AMD and saw the issue was extremely high register pressure, which could be AMDs driver doing something stupid, or the way RTXDI is structured just being pathological for the way RDNA does raytracing half in software
https://twitter.com/JirayD/status/1601036292380250112
Yeah, utilization is appalling on RDNA. They hardly spend any time doing raytracing or anything else for that matter and hardware utilization is like 5% on 6900xt. I don't know that NVidia went too far out of their way to make AMD look bad intentionally but I doubt they're putting much effort into tuning RTXDI performance for anything but the 4000 series.

steckles fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 11, 2023

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
German Computerbase started their Community Benchmarking of Cyberpunk:

https://www.computerbase.de/2023-04/cyberpunk-2077-raytracing-overdrive-modus/

It’s interesting to check and compare the results of the different systems over the the next days.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

UHD posted:

ran the benchmark to see how much pathtracing punished my system. 4070ti, i5-12600K cpu, 1440p

w/o DLSS: 23.19 average, 18.05 low, 31.38 high
DLSS "Quality": 56.66 average, 44.27 low, 72.26 high
DLSS w/ DLAA: 42.87 average, 33.30 low, 58.26 high
FSR "Quality": 45.64 average, 35.66 low, 58.95 high
XeSS "Ultra Quality": 34.91 average, 27.56 low, 45.55 high

a few minutes in the actual game trying out pathtracing with DLSS "Quality" and its very playable if not optimal. doesn't seem to look all that much better though, at least not to my eye. and it still kind of messes with the UI in distracting ways. not about to use a lower DLSS setting because Quality doesn't have ghosting and that is extra distracting.

i'm sure the copious amounts of money nvidia is throwing at them to be a technological showcase for $1200 video cards helps ease the burden
Just to add to the 4070Ti/1440p conversation, I tried it with frame generation and DLSS quality and the frame rates were decent enough for walkin' around gameplay at least, rarely dropped below 60 FPS. I'll probably leave it on until the first time I get bad stutters in a fight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Just to add to the 4070Ti/1440p conversation, I tried it with frame generation and DLSS quality and the frame rates were decent enough for walkin' around gameplay at least, rarely dropped below 60 FPS. I'll probably leave it on until the first time I get bad stutters in a fight.

I didn't get any when loving around for an hour plus, but GN said they got a lot of crashes.

E:but half of the time PT was off, only activating for photos.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

There is a portion of people for whom photo mode is making images of 0 bytes, kind of ruining the purpose of the feature. Sadly I am one of them, I can use nvidia still, but it is clear that the path tracing that activates in photo mode over multiple frames is higher quality :/

Still surprisingly playable in performance. Interestingly enough Ultra performance gave me the same perf.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Twibbit posted:

Still surprisingly playable in performance. Interestingly enough Ultra performance gave me the same perf.

I'm guessing a 3080 of some sort since you're at 1440p?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing a 3080 of some sort since you're at 1440p?

Yeah posted earlier that I have a 3080ti

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Twibbit posted:

There is a portion of people for whom photo mode is making images of 0 bytes, kind of ruining the purpose of the feature. Sadly I am one of them, I can use nvidia still, but it is clear that the path tracing that activates in photo mode over multiple frames is higher quality :/

oh i just remembered that i also had broken pngs in the old photo mode directory. the actual photos are in a new one. I found them in the reverse order so I didn't put two and two together till now.

C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\screenshots

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Rinkles posted:

oh i just remembered that i also had broken pngs in the old photo mode directory. the actual photos are in a new one. I found them in the reverse order so I didn't put two and two together till now.

C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\screenshots

odd change there, but yep they are there. and some things I have noticed is that the more sampled photos have brighter highlights. And smaller items get more defined shadows, I am guessing it is Sampling at native res rather than what the internal dlss res is for making these shots so it is able to get those details better
Ingame DLSS versus Photomode Path tracing. zoom in on the spikes by her collar for the more accurate shadows

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

There's no AMD driver update out for it, doubt they want to call any attention to a fix that doubles 9fps to 18 lmao. Quake 2 RTX ended up at least running half decently, I never tried Portal tho

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a gigabyte 3070ti and one of the fans is bad. I don't really want to rma it, since that process could take a long time. Is replacing GPU fans hard? Where would be the best place to find a replacement fan?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EYaMupOPJg

nvidia are very keen to emphasize how important SER is for this, of course they want to promote ada but it's a real issue

the problem of games having too many shaders goes from "annoying" to "catastrophic for performance" when you introduce raytracing, SER can smooth it over to a degree but it's another reason for devs to rethink how their material pipelines work and try to consolidate as much as possible under as few shaders as possible, to minimise execution divergence when rays are flying in random directions and all hitting different objects

keeping the worst-case shaderpath depth low (as intel has outlined) is probably significant too. wave32 has a higher average depth than wave8!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1yvWs3lHU&t=289s

it's not a shocker that AMD is really the only ones choking on RT-heavy scenarios right now, NVIDIA was up front and Intel made a very very coherent effort to perform well in RT, amd is like "well we have consoles and they won't move on without us so... who cares?"

AMD is paying studios heavily to keep RT utilization in console titles low, and paying studios heavily to keep DLSS out of their sponsored titles, and keep any sort of open-api far the gently caress away from their console marketshare. The fact that Intel doesn't suffer anywhere near as heavily as AMD in these heavy RT titles shows it's not NVIDIA just nuking competitors, AMD just did a garbage phone-it-in implementation as usual. Does everyone remember the whole "we don't need RT cores, we're just going to run it on the texture units" school of design with RDNA2/RDNA3? What part of that sounded like a good idea? People were enthusiastic and I never got it.

static compiled fsr2 and 1/16th res reflections only plzthx, otherwise it's "not optimized"

remember that for the last 3 product generations AMD fans have been chanting "RT doesn't matter" lol. The game design model has been moving towards physically-based rendering ever since. Even if that's not RTX, it's Unreal 5 and other stuff, and RT is an obvious value-add for "just works" lighting to go along with your "just works" materials.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 12, 2023

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
AMD is great for Linux gaming but their attitude towards mostly everything else makes me really annoyed, I enjoy RT a lot from the few games I played with it on so I guess going with Nvidia this gen was a good choice for me

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
When the last couple of titles won't even let 3070/3080 owners enable raytracing due to vram limits, I don't think AMD needs to do much paying lmao

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arzachel posted:

When the last couple of titles won't even let 3070/3080 owners enable raytracing due to vram limits, I don't think AMD needs to do much paying lmao

and yet... what was the title that removed it between the demo and the release citing "close partnership with AMD"?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

and yet... what was the title that removed it between the demo and the release citing "close partnership with AMD"?

Yeah, no global events happening that would affect Russian-based devs at all. Bad guys AMD made them flick the RTX OFF switch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

He's referring to Boundary, a chinese-developed game that had ray tracing and DLSS implemented but removed them while talking up their relationship with AMD. They still support FSR2 and XeSS by the way, just not DLSS. With ray tracing, you could handwave that by saying that they're a fairly small team and it's just a coincidence that they have a partnership with AMD, but there's no real explanation for the upscaling thing that looks good. Supporting DLSS would be fairly trivial when they already support FSR2 and XeSS. There are only one or two AMD-sponsored games with FSR2 that also support DLSS, while there are quite a few that don't support it. It's hard not to draw a connection there. The connection between AMD partnerships and the lack of ray-tracing features is a bit more nebulous—there are a lot of reasons why a developer might not support more than one or two basic features (or not support any at all), and AMD is probably gonna try to partner with developers who already don't plan on making RT-heavy games.

Atomic Heart removing ray tracing prior to launch was pretty lovely considering they promoted the ray tracing component pretty heavily and then didn't say a word about its absence until after the game was already out, but they aren't AMD sponsored as far as I'm aware.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 12, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
removing raytracing when it's already there is a bitch move but not supporting dlss is fine imo. nvidia should contribute to FSR instead since it works on their hardware too

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
amd paid capcom so much money for re4 that they even put fsr1 in it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

removing raytracing when it's already there is a bitch move but not supporting dlss is fine imo. nvidia should contribute to FSR instead since it works on their hardware too

releasing a DLSS-alike that runs in any hardware is exactly what intel did with the XeSS fallback path and it worked so poorly that it's already basically been forgotten

the onus is kind of on AMD to either demonstrate that it's feasible to run ML TAAU on their hardware, or that hand-written TAAU can perform just as well

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's referring to Boundary, a chinese-developed game that had ray tracing and DLSS implemented but removed them while talking up their relationship with AMD. They still support FSR2 and XeSS by the way, just not DLSS. With ray tracing, you could handwave that by saying that they're a fairly small team and it's just a coincidence that they have a partnership with AMD, but there's no real explanation for the upscaling thing that looks good. Supporting DLSS would be fairly trivial when they already support FSR2 and XeSS. There's only one or two AMD-sponsored games with FSR2 that also support DLSS, while there are very few that don't support it. It's hard not to draw a connection there. The connection between AMD partnerships and the lack of ray-tracing features is a bit more nebulous—there are a lot of reasons why a developer might not support more than one or two basic features (or not support any at all), and AMD is probably gonna try to partner with developers who already don't plan on making RT-heavy games.

Atomic Heart removing ray tracing prior to launch was pretty lovely considering they promoted the ray tracing component pretty heavily and then didn't say a word about its absence until after the game was already out, but they aren't AMD sponsored as far as I'm aware.

I hadn't actually heard of the game before. Looking it up, losing raytracing somewhere in between a 3 year old tech demo and an early access competitive shooter is the least surprising thing in the world but the lack of DLSS definitely looks shady to say the least.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Truga posted:

DLSS was already in the game and working, it was literally more dev time to remove it than keep it in. The fact that they announced the removal on the same day and in the same press release as their sponsorship deal with AMD went through makes it pretty blatant.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a gigabyte 3070ti and one of the fans is bad. I don't really want to rma it, since that process could take a long time. Is replacing GPU fans hard? Where would be the best place to find a replacement fan?

Depends on how stock you want to keep it, but if you're willing to live with some jank, replacing it with 120mm case fans zip tied to the heatsink will probably perform much better than the original shroud.

If you want to keep the original look, you'll probably have to search for the exact fan used in your card and see if it can be found on AliExpress or something. Maybe gigabyte support or one of their forums can tell you if Google yields nothing. Or honestly throw out a feeler to gigabyte and see if they'd just send you a replacement fan, you might get lucky.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sounds like the 4070 embargo is up in 30 minutes

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1646120989984432130

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
say it, paul was right

your tears power my vile phylactery

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

4070 reviews are out, performance is pretty much exactly in line with the 3080

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The vibe I'm getting from reviews is basically what I expected: it's not a bad value relative to the rest of the market at $600, but it's also not a significant step forward either. A very boring side-grade overall.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if nothing else, it offers a glimpse of a possible future where gpu's don't take up the size of a goddamn shoebox

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

GN had it at like 5% worse, meh I won't bother sidegrading

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

GN had it at like 5% worse, meh I won't bother sidegrading
It's 4% faster in the HWU review at 1440p at least. So I wasn't very wrong :smug:

mobby_6kl posted:

The Ada cards are fine, the question is how they're going to make the pricing make sense in the current stack. If the performance works out roughly like this

On one hand, I don't see them charging as much for the 4070 as the 3080 cost... on the other hand, dropping $200 from the Ti is a big gap and would disincentivize people from the higher margin card.
I don't know how I feel about this.

E: they aren't in stock here yet so I'll have to see what they cost. Maybe a used 3080 would now have to be discounted quite a bit.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 12, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
even dual-fan 4070s seem to perform ok

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/nvidia-rtx-4070-review-ft-gigabyte-and-palit/34/

sounds like a fun pick for itx people

e: remix runtime open source also out now:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-runtime-open-source-download/

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

repiv posted:

I said earlier in the thread that it would be between the 3070 Ti and 3080 at UHD but closer to the 3070 Ti. Looks like I was wrong, it is closer to the 3080, but still not there.

If you want good RT, DLSS, and frame generation it isn't a bad buy, but for pure raster I'd still go for a 6950 XT right now.

kliras posted:

if nothing else, it offers a glimpse of a possible future where gpu's don't take up the size of a goddamn shoebox

I love the huge cards. Quiet and cool. Hope they stay

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 12, 2023